• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
My DS is broken, so I have to get a new one before I start to play this game. Anyway, I was watching my little cousin play this on his DS, and did just a guy who appeared out of a dumpster give him TM Flash? You shady bastards Game Freak.
I think it used to be a guy in a trenchcoat.

I have no idea what are you talking about. IV? Breeding? WTF, wasn't this game about furry monsters battling each other?

Need WIKIA or some FAQ that explains this for morons!

Roto13

Castor Krieg said:
I have no idea what are you talking about. IV? Breeding? WTF, wasn't this game about furry monsters battling each other?

Need WIKIA or some FAQ that explains this for morons!
There's like a million of those already. Most people know better than to bother with IVs and EVs and stuff, though.

jman2050

Super_Chicken said:
Does anyone else still time-ingly hit "A" while trying to catch a pokemon? I don't think I've ever shook this bad habit since playing Blue.

Not anymore since I use the stylus for everything now, but I did replace the habit with tapping the screen at every shake :p

Super_Chicken said:
Does anyone else still time-ingly hit "A" while trying to catch a pokemon? I don't think I've ever shook this bad habit since playing Blue.

DOWN+A

I stopped after reading about how it was just a rumor though.

Glix

Super_Chicken said:

I keep hitting left till it shakes left then I do right, then back to left, then start doing A. I have issues.

Ferga

Izayoi said:
Mashing A and B > *

This is what i do. Makes me feel better knowing i'm doing something (even though it's not helping) rather than just looking at the screen blankly praying the pokemon doesn't jump out.

Load of fun button mashing too

Boogiepop

Holy Order Sol said:
wtf how does everyone have a different version of this
I could almost swear mine also showed up in a section of Nintendo Power at some point (though I was doing it before then, so I guess I just picked it up somewhere), though that would take WAY too much time to find, unless someone has an archive of NP's old Cheats/Tricks section from the RBY days...

Roto13

Mank said:
I could almost swear mine also showed up in a section of Nintendo Power at some point (though I was doing it before then, so I guess I just picked it up somewhere), though that would take WAY too much time to find, unless someone has an archive of NP's old Cheats/Tricks section from the RBY days...
I remember Nintendo Power shooting that rumour down, but I don't think they ever confirmed it. :p

Wiseblade

Apparently my friend and his lottle brother want to start EV training and the like. Should I drop them off at the deep end and let them sink or swim for themselves(like I had to, and it made me strong, damn it!), or give guide them every step of the way?

Firesprite

Neo Member
Wiseblade said:
Apparently my friend and his lottle brother want to start EV training and the like. Should I drop them off at the deep end and let them sink or swim for themselves(like I had to, and it made me strong, damn it!), or give guide them every step of the way?

I would just link them to a guide and let them educate themselves. What better way for retention!

Andrefpvs

What I do is rub the Poké Ball on the lower screen in the same direction the Poké Ball I threw is wobbling. Then when the *click* is about to happen, I tap the screen.

I do this for fun, I know it has no effect.

Right? o_o

TheOGB

Banned
Super_Chicken said:
I have a different thing I do with every try ._.

Kind of earlier with what I was saying...I should have just linked to this wikipedia article :(

Izayoi said:
Yeah, I found a plugin that lets me export to .WAV - and it works great. The only problem I'm having now is finding a way to get high quality GBF playback, because the plugin I'm currently using (and it seems like it's the only plugin on the entire internet) sounds horrible. It's like listening to a 16k MP3. Of course, the only games it seems to spit out shit sound for are the Pokemon games. Fucking hell.
It does that seem that way. I'll assume you're referring to Highly advanced
if you're referring to GSF decoder...erm, try and earlier version I guess?

Highly Advanced 0.11 is based off visual boy advance (VBA) and is a hackjob of that code at best. That was the standard for years. Set interpolation to none and turn on low pass filter are the closest you get to GBA (the interpolation is a bit of a mess, something like it interpolates the 2 PCM channels the instruments get crammed into rather than the instruments).

A bit more recently (2009), GSF Decoder made by some Japanese guy came up. It uses the VBA-M code instead so given its using newer, improved code it'll work better (apparently Sonic Advance 2 is one game thats particularly noticeable). While these plugins are mainly coded for foobar2000 there are winamp plugins which seem to work even if they're missing a few features.

If that doesn't work it could just be bad rips or something else entirely...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Andrefpvs said:
What I do is rub the Poké Ball on the lower screen in the same direction the Poké Ball I threw is wobbling. Then when the *click* is about to happen, I tap the screen.

I do this for fun, I know it has no effect.

Right? o_o

In the Gen 4 games I tapped the center for every Pokeball wobble. The "Pokeball" on the bottom screen in B/W just isn't the same, though.

Andrefpvs

Mind blown! I just found out that you can meet
the female/male player character (depending on which one you didn't choose at the beginning)
at the Battle Subway!

Wiseblade said:

How much have they already learned exactly? Maybe you can point them to specific stuff if they don't actually need the full wall of text.

Roto13

B.K. said:
I haven't played Pokemon since Pokemon Blue. Is Black/White a good game to jump back into the series with?
Definitely. Pokemon is a very social game, as you can tell from this (second) massive OT. The best version to play is always the one everyone else is playing.

Wiseblade

Holy Order Sol said:
How much have they already learned exactly? Maybe you can point them to specific stuff if they don't actually need the full wall of text.
The younger brother is a bit more knowledgeable than the elder, but I'm not sure he has a full grasp on the concept. The older brother is basically starting fresh. He discovered Bulbapedia recently and is started asking how my pokes end up with much higher stats than his.

Boogiepop

Glix said:
I think the next region should be based on Cat Island, Japan.
Did not know about this, thought you were talking about the Iriomote cat for a second...
Anyway, probably about time to subject myself to the Subway once again.

B.K. said:
I haven't played Pokemon since Pokemon Blue. Is Black/White a good game to jump back into the series with?

Gen V strikes a perfect balance especially for someone in your case. Everything will be familiar enough for you not to be utterly lost while still offering a crazy amount of new content.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ah, I think it's finally safe for me to read the Iwata Asks for these games.

Also I need to majorly update the OP, starting with the new info about the Global Link delay...

So if nobody near me owns Black/White am I totally fucked in regards to Black City? IIRC you need to use Extralink and invite people from another persons game into the city...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Obsessed said:
So if nobody near me owns Black/White am I totally fucked in regards to Black City? IIRC you need to use Extralink and invite people from another persons game into the city...

This is another pro to if I buy Black too. I get all the survey/Entralink benefits but I don't need any IRL friends with the game! :D

*sobs in the corner*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom