• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Here's a spreadsheet for stat nerds.

Comparing this thread to the HeartGold/SoulSilver thread, it comes out very favorably. Even including all the posts from the Japanese launch for that thread and not for this thread, this thread is leading that one in the same timeframe by over 4,600 posts!

I'll be adding comparisons to the Platinum and D/P thread, too.

Azure J

Gravijah said:
Hmm... you sure you have me added? If so, go out, turn c-gear on and pop back in.

Yeah, I have the number added and C-Gear is on... I'll pop out and restart C-Gear though. What's your FC again? Just to be sure.

Azure J

Oh God, I feel dumb as all hell right now. I've been going into the union room the whole time thinking it was the universal trading room. :lol

question: does curse take only half your pokemons health every time. like say i use it once it takes half the health, then the next turn it takes half of the health left from last time, and so on.

or am i mistaking curse for another move?

i just don't want to be wasting potions after every audino i kill with curse.

also: ghosteon.

Mush

DoomXploder7 said:
can anyone recommend me a good Battle subway team?
Hydreigon
Naive/Choice Scarf

Earthquake
U-turn
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast

Conkeldurp
Adamant/Leftovers

Substitute
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Payback

Filler

or, you could just avatar quote me.

D-Pad

dangerbyrnes said:
question: does curse take only half your pokemons health every time. like say i use it once it takes half the health, then the next turn it takes half of the health left from last time, and so on.

or am i mistaking curse for another move?

i just don't want to be wasting potions after every audino i kill with curse.

also: ghosteon.

Curse takes half of a ghost's Pokemon TOTAL HP. So if they have less than half remaining, and they use curse, they will faint.

Curse, for non-ghost Pokemon, sacrifices speed to bring up Attack and Defense.

dangerbyrnes said:

If you use Curse as a Ghost while your HP is at 50% or below you will FUCKING DIE AAARGH

D-Pad said:
Curse takes half of a ghost's Pokemon TOTAL HP. So if they have less than half remaining, and they use curse, they will faint.

Curse, for non-ghost Pokemon, sacrifices speed to bring up Attack and Defense.

ok, thanks for answering.

at least those potions weren't wasted.

leveling a yamask with audinos sucks until you get curse.

EDIT: lol, right after you answered my question i used curse twice without healing accidentally. was left with 1 health.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Mush said:
Hydreigon
Naive/Choice Scarf

Earthquake
U-turn
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast

Conkeldurp
Adamant/Leftovers

Substitute
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Payback

Filler

Just to push the point about Hydreigon, there's never a need to run a mix set. You're really hurting your decent defenses running that nature. Even if you want to run U-Turn, just run Timid/Modest. It's only for scouting/baiting.

Dragon/Fire/Water has fearsome type coverage, and on top of that, you could even run Dark Pulse/Earth Power if you want. The only Pokemon he really fears with the set is Blissey. And if you're running a mix set, you have to run Outrage to 2HKO with little investment. And of course any investment you have in Attack is taking away from your critical SpAtk/Speed.

You'll definitely want to back Hydreigon up with types that resist his weaknesses as well, notably Fighting / Dragon being the most damning. Jellicent makes a great partner (especially in doubles where Hydreigon's Surf heals Jellicent), resisting Bug/Ice/Fighting, while appreciating Hydreigon's resistances to Ghost/Dark/Grass/Electric.

I'd recommend a Steel type in the last slot, as it covers your Dragon weakness, but any number of Pokemon could do. Scizor really enjoys that Fire attacks will almost never be aimed at Hydreigon, or Jellicent, and Scizor will resist Bug / Dragon attacks for the dragon and resist Ghost attacks aimed at the later.

Of course.. the most effective Battle Subway teams will revolve around Trick / Flashing the first Pokemon (I prefer Uxie, with Memento), looking them into a move and then setting up a Pokemon to +6. I prefer Registeel and Drapion as a partner to Uxie, given that Uxie attracts Psychic / Bug / Dark moves which they resist.. but uh.. this is more high level stuff that most people won't be interested in.

JVIDICAN

Morokh said:
I'd say it looks quite good if you stick with Spa as attacking stat, you got the essential stats covered Speed/Spa, and HP is always welcome and a good nature for it.

Now you just have to figure out a movepool that would fit this little snake :eek:

maybe something like a subseeder :
Substitute
Leech Seed
Giga Drain
Growth / Energy ball

but i'm no expert on this :p

I'm using a Chandelure for something like that. Would they be to similar?

Mush

EvilMario said:
That Hydreigon set was just something off the top of my head. I'm still breeding for the Battle Subway, so I don't know what I'll be using. I didn't really do much Battle Frontiering in Gen IV (too much random hax the higher you go).

I like running mixed sets on Pokes that have the stats and the move pool to support both both SPA and ATK. But as I said, that set was just off the top of my head.

Thanks Super_Chicken for the flawless trade!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Mush said:
That Hydreigon set was just something off the top of my head. I'm still breeding for the Battle Subway, so I don't know what I'll be using. I didn't really do much Battle Frontiering in Gen IV (too much random hax the higher you go).

I like running mixed sets on Pokes that have the stats and the move pool to support both both SPA and ATK. But as I said, that set was just off the top of my head.

Thanks Super_Chicken for the flawless trade!

Just recommendations. The only mixed set worth running on Hydreigon is with Outrage, because it allows you to score a clean 2HKO on Blissey/Chansey with little investment. Or you could run Taunt and ruin them as well.

People are free to run whatever sets they want, but I will preach my knowledge if I see the opportunity. :p

Zomba13

Mush said:
Hydreigon
Naive/Choice Scarf

Earthquake
U-turn
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast

Conkeldurp
Adamant/Leftovers

Substitute
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Payback

Filler

Ok
FVhTY.png

Delio

What's a sure fire counter to that Hydra anyways? I've been able to get by with my fast fighting type but i bet Scarfed versions would run all over him. Any suggestions?

zumphry

Banned
Finally "beat" the game this morning. The best ending to a Pokemon game yet, especially with
the cutscenes of the reveal of N's Castle, and the hero beasts
. People weren't kidding when they said Gamefreak was delving into some Final Fantasy with the ending.

As for the E4, they were pushovers, including
N
. It wasn't until
Ghetsis' fucking piece of shit Hydreigon that I will forever hate for making me use all of my Rare Candies (x7 or so) on my Archeops to not get stuck in a loop of revive, faint, revive FUCKING MOTHERFUCKER AAAAAAAAUUUUGH
that I had trouble.

Credits sequence was
surprising since it was just N and Reshiram flying off into the distance, which makes me wonder what Gray will be like, or even Gen VI

At least now I can try to find that one post by (I think) Andrex about his guesses about future games and be able to read it.

Gym leaders coming out to battle the Sages? Fuck yeah! Being able to participate in a Legendary battle with N? Fuck yeah! Having a competent evil Team? Fuck yeah! Ghetsis' Hydreigon? FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT I WILL KILL YOU YOU SHIT FACED CLOWN FART

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Delio said:
What's a sure fire counter to that Hydra anyways? I've been able to get by with my fast fighting type but i bet Scarfed versions would run all over him. Any suggestions?

Like most Dragons in the game, there are no hard counters. You just have to predict (ie; predict Surf, and switch in something that resist it and is faster/has priority). His speed is definitely his 'weakness', but you're likely to take a huge hit switching in. With Conkeldurr and Mach Punch everywhere, that's his biggest worry.

Holy Order Sol said:
Would that include Eviolite Chansey?

I forget what the damage calculation is, but I believe people were saying 48 Atk EVs, and a neutral nature always 2HKOs Evo Chansey. You should check this though, because I'm not sure what the exact number is.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Some interesting (to me) stats from that spreadsheet have emerged.

Most popular month per game:

Diamond/Pearl: May 2007 with 7,049 posts
Platinum: March 2009 with 1,029 posts
HeartGold/SoulSilver: March 2010 with 8,089

The most interesting thing about this to me is that for D/P, the most popular month wasn't the launch month -- it was the month afterwards. I also learned that Australia/Europe had to wait until June/July for D/P... yeesh. Now with B/W Europe got them first! How times have changed. Also, D/P had a somewhat healthy life even after its initial year -- about 730 posts for the year after, and it was also even active a bit after Platinum had been released!

Most surprisingly to me... Currently, this thread, for this month (which isn't even over yet), not even including the first OT, surpasses them all! I was really surprised by this.

Thread totals:

Diamond/Pearl: 16,456
Platinum: 2,052
HeartGold/SoulSilver: 16,819

Roto13

Ok, after looking at which Pokemon evolve with stones, I think I almost have enough to evolve what I have left. I only have one Dusk Stone and I have to evolve Murkrow into Honchkrow and Misdreavus into Mismagius, but it's possible to catch a Honchkrow in Black, so I can just do that. However, I only have one Dawn Stone (there's only one in the game, if you don't count Black City and the random ones you might get from dust clouds if you're extremely lucky) and I need two. One for Gallade and one for Froslass. I might still have one in Pearl or HeartGold, which means I can catch their pre-evolutions in those games, evolve them, send them to Black, and then breed them. I think I can do all of this without having to trade with anyone else. :p

Gravijah

Andrex said:
Some interesting (to me) stats from that spreadsheet have emerged.

Most popular month per game:

Diamond/Pearl: May 2007 with 7,049 posts
Platinum: March 2009 with 1,029 posts
HeartGold/SoulSilver: March 2010 with 8,089

The most interesting thing about this to me is that for D/P, the most popular month wasn't the launch month -- it was the month afterwards. I also learned that Australia/Europe had to wait until June/July for D/P... yeesh. Now with B/W Europe got them first! How times have changed.

Most surprisingly to me... Currently, this thread, for this month (which isn't even over yet), not even including the first OT, surpasses them all! I was really surprised by this.

GAF has grooooown.

Delio

EvilMario said:
Like most Dragons in the game, there are no hard counters. You just have to predict (ie; predict Surf, and switch in something that resist it and is faster/has priority). His speed is definitely his 'weakness', but you're likely to take a huge hit switching in. With Conkeldurr and Mach Punch everywhere, that's his biggest worry.

I forget what the damage calculation is, but I believe people were saying 48 Atk EVs, and a neutral nature always 2HKOs Evo Chansey. You should check this though, because I'm not sure what the exact number is.

I really worry about the scarfed version showing up when the Gaf tournament starts. I suppose a good counter is Conkeldurr. Or perhaps a Rival Hydra it's something for me to really consider.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
GAF has grooooown.

To be honest I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaally hoping that the thread(s) for Gray is much more active than Platinum's anemic showing. Going through that thread after D/P's and HG/SS's was just flat out sad. :/

Gravijah

Andrex said:
To be honest I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaally hoping that the thread/s for the third version of B/W are much more active than Platinum's anemic showing. Going through that thread after D/P's and HG/SS's was just flat out sad. :/

Yeah... 2000 posts? Jeez. It should be much better though since PokeGAF has grown a lot since then. I didn't even post in that thread I don't think because I was new to GAF (posting wise) back then.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Also if next month this thread is even half as active as this month was, then we'll already be over the totals for D/P and HG/SS. Imagine that!

Gravijah said:
Yeah... 2000 posts? Jeez. It should be much better though since PokeGAF has grown a lot since then. I didn't even post in that thread I don't think because I was new to GAF (posting wise) back then.

I was active (and new) on GAF too then, and I didn't buy it, so obviously I wasn't apart of it... Even still, I'm happy my first PokeGAF thread was the HG/SS one, so many great friends and memories...

I'm obviously not expecting the Gray thread to reach this thread's levels (which I honestly think is insane), but a little less than HG/SS's thread would be nice enough. Plus I'll be picking it up on day one, unlike every other third version in the series. Who knows, I may even make the thread...

Firestorm

Andrex said:
To be honest I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaally hoping that the thread(s) for Gray is much more active than Platinum's anemic showing. Going through that thread after D/P's and HG/SS's was just flat out sad. :/
Well, I don't ever buy the third version so I probably won't post in it. Then again, hardly even posting in this unlike with Pearl. I think I enjoyed Pearl a lot more since I hadn't played since Gold (then FireRed for some nostalgia). I feel all Pokemon'd out with Black. Currently at 6 badges. Would be further if I had more motivation / didn't have so much work to do.

Delio said:
I really worry about the scarfed version showing up when the Gaf tournament starts. I suppose a good counter is Conkeldurr. Or perhaps a Rival Hydra it's something for me to really consider.

Forget Hydreigon, fear CLOYSTER instead.

Delio

Holy Order Sol said:
Forget Hydreigon, fear CLOYSTER instead.

Ah yeah Skill link Cloyster will be a problem as well haha.

Edit : Although i wont have to worry about him since older pokemon are banned in the tournament. Wootness.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Firestorm said:
Well, I don't ever buy the third version so I probably won't post in it. Then again, hardly even posting in this unlike with Pearl. I think I enjoyed Pearl a lot more since I hadn't played since Gold (then FireRed for some nostalgia). I feel all Pokemon'd out with Black. Currently at 6 badges. Would be further if I had more motivation / didn't have so much work to do.

From that it sounds like you're the complete inverse of the trend. Although from your post on the first page of the Platinum thread I had assumed you had bought it.

With you and 645 likely not being in the Gray thread that could make things less fun, especially to talk about competitive things... As for this thread, I'm patiently awaiting VKS and Metroid Killer getting their copies. VKS's should find its way to him in about a week, I think.

Zertez

EvilMario said:
Low Kick is also very effective against a lot of Dragon types.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Delio said:

At least with the Scarf version, it's locked into a move. And with the GAF tournament being doubles, I doubt you'll see a Scarf version too often.

The poster above is correct too, Cloyster is a beast.

Zertez said:
Low Kick is also very effective against a lot of Dragon types.

Only against Hydreigon, really (Flying/Dragon types resist it even). And the reason Mach Punch is so effective is it lets you outspeed the Dragon, something most Fighting types struggle to do.

Really, the issue is not how to kill a Hydreigon, but how to correctly predict and switch into it. That's what makes Draco Meteor so deadly. Even something that resist it will be taking a gigantic hit.

Delio said:
Edit : Although i wont have to worry about him since older pokemon are banned in the tournament. Wootness.

Oh right I forgot about the rules. Not entering will do that. XD

Regarding Dragons, Ice Shard would help too, but isn't that common either.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Andrex said:
EvilMario, can I count you in for Gray?

While I'll definitely be buying it, we'll see if I'm still very active. I had my Pokemon peak around Fire Red, and it really died out during Platinum/HGSS. Black/White has sparked the passion once more.. but I do have quite a bit of free time on my hands. Haha.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
That's gonna be 2 years from now! :p

I still think it's gonna hit Japan this year. We'll see.

EvilMario said:
While I'll definitely be buying it, we'll see if I'm still very active. I had my Pokemon peak around Fire Red, and it really died out during Platinum/HGSS. Black/White has sparked the passion once more.. but I do have quite a bit of free time on my hands. Haha.

Great! I'll be counting on you. You too Gravijah, although I figured that's implied. :p

Gravijah

Andrex said:
I still think it's gonna hit Japan this year. We'll see.

If we get something new this year in Japan, I think it would be RSE remakes on the 3DS.

Andrex said:
Great! I'll be counting on you. You too Gravijah, although I figured that's implied. :p

Hah, I'll be here. I love my Pokemon. And I own every 3rd version.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Hah, I'll be here. I love my Pokemon. And I own every 3rd version.

You're more of a Pokefan than I. Although I have been ramping up lately, I'll definitely be buying the third version but even before that I'm thinking of buying Black. I've never owned all three versions of a Pokemon game before.

Delio

EvilMario said:
At least with the Scarf version, it's locked into a move. And with the GAF tournament being doubles, I doubt you'll see a Scarf version too often.

The poster above is correct too, Cloyster is a beast.

True i guess i could have something take the hit (preferably with a ton of Special Defense) Then hope something is in to hit it. Without Scarf i'm not entirely worried though. ALSO i'll totally be around for Pokemon Grey ..i may not post as much as some but yeah lol.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You and your crazy avatar are always welcome, Delio. <3

Anyone know what happened to Jet Grind Radio?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hydreigon is definitely a threat with the VGC ruleset, thanks to Levitate and its massive power. Protect, Priority moves and Trick Room (and weather in general) have a large impact on Doubles, keep in mind. And those will keep it in check a bit.

I'd keep an eye on Whimsicott in this tournament too, it's Taunt / Encore / Tail Wind with Prankster are devastating.

edit: Like I said before too, Hydreigon's best partner may be Jellicent. It can heal Jellicent with Surf, while Jellicent fires off Water Spouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom