• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EvilMario said:
That's why you never use Stone Edge in Battle Subway. In fact, I don't know if I'd use any of the high power / lower accuracy moves.

Yeah, definitely avoid those if at all possible.

Quacking

Who remember Diablos, the G.F. of Final Fantasy 8, and his awesome ability for cancel every casual encounter?? Why there isn't a pokémon with a similar ability after 5 generations??

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Has data ever been extracted showing that trainers cheat in areas like that?

Like, in the source code? I dunno, but it's pretty understood that's the case. I mean three Sheer Colds in a row? Yeah, it cheats.

Gravijah

Andrex said:
Like, in the source code? I dunno, but it's pretty understood that's the case. I mean three Sheer Colds in a row? Yeah, it cheats.

Yeah. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just curious what the in game data does to make it happen.

Quacking said:
Who remember Diablos, the G.F. of Final Fantasy 8, and his awesome ability for cancel every casual encounter?? Why there isn't a pokémon with a similar ability after 5 generations??

Diablos? FF8? Nope, doesn't ring a bell.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
bigdaddygamebot said:
/begging

Can anyone trade me a rufflet for...well...nothing of particular value?

A low level rufflet. Like...1 even?

Posted on the last page, I have exactly that and I'm looking for Vullaby/Mandibuzz.

Andrex said:
Posted on the last page, I have exactly that and I'm looking for Vullaby/Mandibuzz.

If by vullaby/mandibuzz you mean, patrat/damurak then you have a deal. :D

Thanks for responding but I have nothing but trash to trade until I grind more.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
bigdaddygamebot said:
If by vullaby/mandibuzz you mean, patrat/damurak then you have a deal. :D

Thanks for responding but I have nothing but trash to trade until I grind more.

Eh OK, I'll be on in about five minutes. :p

Edit- You're not in the Google Doc?

Quacking said:

You mean random encounters? Probably because there's repels. That would be cool though. Going into the menu every 250 steps to use a repel and then go out and put the dowsing machine back up takes longer than it should. The C-Gear is just getting in the way. They should have kept the UI like in HG/SS.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
bigdaddygamebot said:
No no...I don't want to rip you off, man. Very cool of you to offer but you're actually looking for something of value in return.

It's no biggie, really. It's easy enough to breed more of them. I'd have asked for one on the GTS but apparently I haven't seen one in game.

Oni Link 666 said:
You mean random encounters? Probably because there's repels. That would be cool though. Going into the menu every 250 steps to use a repel and then go out and put the dowsing machine back up takes longer than it should. The C-Gear is just getting in the way. They should have kept the UI like in HG/SS.

There is that item that the first member on your team can hold to ward wild Pokemon away. It isn't 100% like repel, though.

Articalys

I've had only one occurrence that was either cheating or some ridiculously predictive AI. Accidentally start a battle off with my fighting against their psychic, so I switch in my psychic who knows dark moves -- only to immediately get owned by their psychic's shadow ball. Now, not that shadow ball is ineffective against fighting types, but if the AI is supposed to choose an action before it sees what I've done and play dumb about the rest of my lineup, why the hell would it do that instead of a psychic move?

Gravijah said:
Heeeey did your daughter like the Zorua?

She loves it. You created a monster. Now she wants a rufflet.

I showed her your icon. She actually thinks you're a surfboard riding pikachu. You're right up there with Santa and the Easter Bunny.

Gravijah

bigdaddygamebot said:
She loves it. You created a monster. Now she wants a rufflet.

I showed her your icon. She actually thinks you're a surfboard riding pikachu. You're right up there with Santa and the Easter Bunny.

Hahaha, that's amazing. :)

Unicorn

Oni Link 666 said:
Yeah. WTF were they thinking. No autorun toggle either?! Droppin' the boll Gamefreak.

Not to mention gym leaders don't have animations, pokemon don't follow you anymore, so all the spritework they did for HG/SS was just thrown out. other stuff too...

Quacking

Oni Link 666 said:
Yeah I meant them.

The problem is that like you said repels are so annoying. <.<

Which is that item though?

OMG Aero

Articalys said:
I've had only one occurrence that was either cheating or some ridiculously predictive AI. Accidentally start a battle off with my fighting against their psychic, so I switch in my psychic who knows dark moves -- only to immediately get owned by their psychic's shadow ball. Now, not that shadow ball is ineffective against fighting types, but if the AI is supposed to choose an action before it sees what I've done and play dumb about the rest of my lineup, why the hell would it do that instead of a psychic move?
Yeah, I call bullshit on some of the AI decisions.
I was in the Battle Subway and had my Galvantula against a Simisear. Predicting a fire move, I switch out to Emboar and the Simisear ends up using Rock Slide. Sure Rock Slide would have been effective against Galvantula, but its fire moves would have done more damage.

Gravijah said:
Hahaha, that's amazing. :)

I used to be a manager at EB years ago...back when parents were stabbing one another over copies of Red and Blue and they would line up out front before we opened tuesday mornings for a new shipment of Pokemon cards to arrive.

Pokemon is not quite as big as it was back then but it is still ridiculously huge at my daughter's school.

It's fun for us to play together and you giving me that Zorua was awesome.

She calls him "Sally". Apparently he likes having a girl's name...so she claims. : /

Andrefpvs

Unicorn said:
pokemon don't follow you anymore, so all the spritework they did for HG/SS was just thrown out. other stuff too...

They use those sprites when you go catch your Dream World Pokémon. But yeah, apart from that, massive waste.

Gravijah

bigdaddygamebot said:
She calls him "Sally". Apparently he likes having a girl's name...so she claims. : /

Oh man it's funny you say that, because my younger sister has a cat that she named Sally. The thing is, we found out later that it was actually a boy. So now it's a boy cat named Sally.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Obsessed said:
Rufflet is fine. I also have a Shiny Vullaby, but I'd probably want something a bit rarer for it.

Eh this is about filling the Pokedex. Thanks. I'm about to get on now, if you're ready.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Wicked.

FC is

1807 1670 8743

Give me about 20 minutes to finish this trade up and breed you another one.

Gravijah said:
Oh man it's funny you say that, because my younger sister has a cat that she named Sally. The thing is, we found out later that it was actually a boy. So now it's a boy cat named Sally.

My daughter has no respect for gender stereotypes. Basically I'm a bad father.

Andrex said:
Eh this is about filling the Pokedex. Thanks. I'm about to get on now, if you're ready.

Give me about 20 minutes to finish this trade up and breed you another one.

No worries man. I'm here for a couple hours.

Just post on here when you're ready to roll.

Articalys

Oni Link 666 said:
1. Set both Bag->Main and Dowsing Machine as Y Button shortcuts.
2. Activate Dowsing from the shortcut menu.
3. Select Bag->Main from shortcut menu, use repel, back out of menu.
4. Repeat step 3 when repel runs out.
5. Enjoy the benefits of encounter-free travel while maintaining the dowsing machine at all times.

Now, why they couldn't put the main Pokemon select screen as a shortcut option instead of just the summary pages, THAT is dumb.

EDIT: There was also the Cleanse Tag, though it didn't prevent encounters entirely and I don't know if that's still around in Gen V.

D-Pad

Andrefpvs said:
Oh no, no! Don't get me wrong, it's nothing out of the ordinary. I'm just a beginning programmer, in fact, I only moved to C a month ago (did my learning with Scheme). This is a simple counter with simple checks. I'm interested in what you're doing though. High-five!

Well, my sister wanted a better way to keep track of EVs. My main goals were: 1) Easy 1-click entry, and 2) save and load. This is what I ended up with (early last year, I think?):
JogrW.jpg

It works, but you have to know how many EVs to add, and half the time we were stuck scrolling through GameFaqs, etc. Yesterday I started EV training again, and, again, I was confused on how much to add... So last night I started planning a program that would do all that automatically. This is one of the final interface concepts I came up with (lost the others, damn GraphicsGale corrupted the files :\) :

ngLCG.png

I try to keep it simple, so I can actually follow through with it. I'm a beginning programmer as well, but I know how to do almost everything in that image and have very good ideas on how to assemble the rest. Some calculations may be off but that wasn't my main concern at the time. :p It will be once I start though.

Roto13

OMG Aero said:
Yeah, I call bullshit on some of the AI decisions.
I was in the Battle Subway and had my Galvantula against a Simisear. Predicting a fire move, I switch out to Emboar and the Simisear ends up using Rock Slide. Sure Rock Slide would have been effective against Galvantula, but its fire moves would have done more damage.
The AI is not smart. It didn't anticipate you bringing out a fire pokemon. It was just being stupid and using the wrong move and got lucky. :p

I'm still looking someone to show me a Tornadus.

All I need is for someone to trade me one for a sec to get it in my Pokedex so I can then ask for it on the GTS to get Landorus.

FC - 1893 0485 7241

Unicorn said:
Yeah. WTF were they thinking. No autorun toggle either?! Droppin' the boll Gamefreak.

Not to mention gym leaders don't have animations, pokemon don't follow you anymore, so all the spritework they did for HG/SS was just thrown out. other stuff too...

I know! They'll just put the following Pokemon back in for Grey too.

Articalys said:
1. Set both Bag->Main and Dowsing Machine as Y Button shortcuts.
2. Activate Dowsing from the shortcut menu.
3. Select Bag->Main from shortcut menu, use repel, back out of menu.
4. Repeat step 3 when repel runs out.
5. Enjoy the benefits of encounter-free travel while maintaining the dowsing machine at all times.

I'll try that. This game needs a menu bar like Dragon Age or WoW.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hrm, never had that blue screen come up like that before...

Obsessed said:
The problem might be on my end... My sister is home and my internet tends to go to hell whenever she is using her computer.... Perhaps this Saturday would be better.

OK, sure. Just remind me.

Andrefpvs

D-Pad said:
ngLCG.png

I try to keep it simple, so I can actually follow through with it. I'm a beginning programmer as well, but I know how to do almost everything in that image and have very good ideas on how to assemble the rest. Some calculations may be off but that wasn't my main concern at the time. :p It will be once I start though.

That looks promising! You'd have to assemble a database with each Pokémon's data, no?, but that information seems to be widely available. Please let us know of you go ahead with this project :)

I don't even know how to link my program to a GUI via APIs, lol.

D-Pad said:
ngLCG.png

would this be browser based? or at least mac compatible i'd love to use this whenever you get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom