• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravijah

EvilMario said:
I'm talking about TRADING, from BW -> BW. Like I said, transferring is only after the National Dex. I've traded my Wife a number of older generation Pokemon to her Black cart, and she's just at the 8th Gym now.

Yeah, but he already has the National Dex in Black which is why I was confused.

TheOGB

Banned
Just got an egg from a PokeRanger...

Would it have been a better idea to save before recieving it than saving right after? D:

Merovin

TheOGB said:
Just got an egg from a PokeRanger...

Would it have been a better idea to save before recieving it than saving right after? D:

With the time it'll take for that thing to hatch? Doesn't really matter, if you like what hatches and want to add it to your team, you'll be breeding it later on. ;)

TheOGB said:
While I'm on this island, how the hell do I get to the Battle Girl? And how do I get to the Lab as well?

The place west of route 1? Okay, so when you keep moving forward down the stairs past the house with the ranger in it, you'll eventually reach another beach spot.

Use surf and then follow one of the tides until you reach a calm part of the ocean where you can ride back to the island to the girl's part of the beach.

TheOGB

Banned
Octorockin' said:
The place west of route 1? Okay, so when you keep moving forward down the stairs past the house with the ranger in it, you'll eventually reach another beach spot.

Use surf and then follow one of the tides until you reach a calm part of the ocean where you can ride back to the island to the girl's part of the beach.
Ah, okay. Didn't notice there was more than one stream. Thanks.

Gravijah said:
Underrated Pokemon music time: Battle Hall!
Indeed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is this for the tourney? Because you can only use Unova Pokemon in it... Otherwise good job, that Kingdra will be a beast.

Andrex said:
Is this for the tourney? Because you can only use Unova Pokemon in it... Otherwise good job, that Kingdra will be a beast.

Nah, as I said before I'm not entering.

DragonKnight said:
Then congratulations are in order! How long did it take you to obtain said horsea?

I honestly don't know exactly but it took quite a while. I hatched about 30-something eggs, but if you factor in the time it took to level up Deino so that this thing would get Outrage...

I finally got around to playing this in the past week or so, I'm up to 3 badges and I'm having a lot of fun. I talk to everyone in the towns, but I still feel like I am missing out on some things. Are there side quests and whatnot that I should be doing?

Delio

Yes more Tourney Entries! Speaking of the Tourney what's a good Special wall in Unova? I looked at the Snowflake looking pokemon and while it has monster special defense it's physical defense side leaves much to be desired.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
DragonKnight said:
I always thought Kingdra performed best as a mixed sweeper. Try again?

Not since he picked up Outrage, giving him that much needed physical Dragon STAB. Water / Dragon is almost never resisted (Empoleon), and Double dancing Kingdra is a beast.

edit: Just noticed Outrage is an Egg move now for Kingdra, which is fantastic. Because before it could only be taught via Move Tutor.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Delio said:
Yes more Tourney Entries! Speaking of the Tourney what's a good Special wall in Unova? I looked at the Snowflake looking pokemon and while it has monster special defense it's physical defense side leaves much to be desired.

Jellicent, although there are numerous bulky Pokemon, I wouldn't call many of them walls because of lack of Recovery.

Parts

Sup guys, I'm wanting to build a team for competitive battling (first time) and am trying to stick to using my favourite Pokemon. I'm lucky in that most of 'em are powerful enough to not get crushed, but I'm also seriously wanting to use a Ninetales. Is this unwise? Will I end up getting stepped on? If there's a chance for it, is there a recommended moveset? The other guys on the team'll be these:

Milotic
Scizor
Dragonite
Electivite (Mixed attacking)
Gengar

Cheers!

EvilMario said:
Not since he picked up Outrage, giving him that much needed physical Dragon STAB. Water / Dragon is almost never resisted (Empoleon)

And now Ferrothorn... probably one of the biggest threats I need to figure out how to handle and make adjustments accordingly, the other one being Cloyster.

Boogiepop

Parts said:
Sup guys, I'm wanting to build a team for competitive battling (first time) and am trying to stick to using my favourite Pokemon. I'm lucky in that most of 'em are powerful enough to not get crushed, but I'm also seriously wanting to use a Ninetales. Is this unwise? Will I end up getting stepped on? If there's a chance for it, is there a recommended moveset? The other guys on the team'll be these:

Milotic
Scizor
Dragonite
Electivite (Mixed attacking)
Gengar

Cheers!
Ninetales gets Drought from the Dream World, so it finally has a use competitively, but it's not really splashable...

HLYSHT! For the past 10 years I've thought that Miltank was called MILKTANK, because it's a fat cow. I feel like my whole childhood has been a lie, WTF is a 'mil' ?

Mr. Sam

Good news, everyone! You totally can transfer pokemon from Diamond/Pearl to Black/White at any point in the game, as long as you have six pokemon in the PC in the former. I assume it's the same for HG/SS.

Piplup, I choose you! As for you, Bidoof, go jump off a bridge.

I found a guy on the GTS offering a Tornadus for a L10+ Evee. :D I tried to catch Landorous, but he's L70 and kicks ass. He 1 shot my L75 Emboar. I'm going to try an level my Venusaur high enough to be able to use sleep powder on him.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If anyone wants to trade me a Tornadus for a Thundurus, that'd be great. I don't care about nature, IVs, or anything else. In fact, I just need it for the Pokedex, if you're interested in just swapping back and forth.

edit: I could throw in a Jirachi, or something if that's required.

Red

Oni Link 666 said:
I found a guy on the GTS offering a Tornadus for a L10+ Evee. :D I tried to catch Landorous, but he's L70 and kicks ass. He 1 shot my L75 Emboar. I'm going to try an level my Venusaur high enough to be able to use sleep powder on him.
Landorus is the last legendary I have to catch, and I just got my second master ball for doing 50 trades. Sounds like a good time to use it.

Still need to get a Tornadus though :(

Mr. Sam said:
Good news, everyone! You totally can transfer pokemon from Diamond/Pearl to Black/White at any point in the game, as long as you have six pokemon in the PC in the former. I assume it's the same for HG/SS.

Piplup, I choose you! As for you, Bidoof, go jump off a bridge.

I thought you had to go to the "poke transfer lab" or whatnot, after 8 badges?

Mr. Sam

FunkyMunkey said:
I thought you had to go to the "poke transfer lab" or whatnot, after 8 badges?

Goddamn, this needs clarification before it leads to more confusion! Alright, these are the conditions that must be met:
  • To transfer pokemon from HG/SS or D/P to Black/White, you have to have beaten the Elite 4 in Black/White. The transfer lab is in Black/White's post-game and nowhere else.
  • However, you can be at any point in HG/SS or D/P, as long as you have six pokemon in your PC. So, for example, you can start a new game, play until you have seven pokemon (one to keep in your party, six in the PC) and then transfer a starter across, as I did.

And, just like that, I have a Piplup:

393.png

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Mr. Sam said:
Goddamn, this needs clarification before it leads to more confusion! Alright, these are the conditions that must be met:
  • To transfer pokemon from HG/SS or D/P to Black/White, you have to have beaten the Elite 4 in Black/White. The transfer lab is in Black/White's post-game and nowhere else.
  • However, you can be at any point in HG/SS or D/P, as long as you have six pokemon in your PC. So, for example, you can start a new game, play until you have seven pokemon (one to keep in your party, six in the PC) and then transfer a starter across, as I did.

And, just like that, I have a Piplup:

393.png

This is the main point of confusion I was having. I thought it was pretty obvious there would be no restriction except for number of Pokemon here, just like Pal Park.

Boogiepop

Power items are awesome :)
Finally finishing up breeding a competitive Togekiss, if anyone's interested I'll have at least 5 extra Calm Togepis with perfect Special Defense. Looking for any other decent cast-offs from breeding projects that could speed up breeding on my end, or solid Dittos for breeding, I guess.
I'll post again when I have them checked, I'm about half way through breeding a decent sized batch. BTW, what's the best way to check IVs in this game? I heard battle institute, but they wouldn't let me take in multiples, which is kind of annoying...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Transferring over my Gen 2 and 3 collections put me over 50 trades (wish it would specify!) So I guess it's time to go kill Thundurus a bunch until I get a good one. v_v Hrm, maybe after I trade over my awesome capture duo Breloom and Smeargle...

D-Pad

Are you in the pokegaf-tournament, Mank?

Andrefpvs said:
Oh I see, thanks. I should take a look at Game Maker. :)

I remember quite a few years ago when I was starting to get interested in game development that I had to chose between RPG Maker and Game Maker. I went with RPG Maker.

Yeah, RPG Maker is great and all (seriously, it's really fun, I love it), but even with its support for Ruby Scripts, Game Maker can do so much more. Especially if you take the time to learn GML, which is much simpler (in terms of syntax) than a "real" programming language. It's interpreted though so it's slower, but you have your interface right there. It's a great way to get into programming because you can see everything work right there and then, ya know?

And now YoYoGames is publishing titles made by users on different OSes, like iOS and PSP; and soon, DoomXplorer, HTML 5 (using canvas). So browser based GM games will be possible.

But I want to know: Is Javascript hard to learn?

Andrex, are you gonna make that browser based EV counter?

Boogiepop

D-Pad said:
Are you in the pokegaf-tournament, Mank?
Nah, I'm unfortunately away from WiFi access (for the DS) from Sunday night to Friday evening on most weeks (damn college doesn't allow DSs a way in), so I can't participate.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I managed to grab two Thundurus'

The one from my game ended up Naive with 28/6/29/26/13/16. It's okay.. but I wouldn't use it for battling.. considering it doesn't have HP Ice.

The other one is Quiet with 29/3/26/3/13/18. Terrible. Bought it off the GTS for one of my many older crap legendaries I've stocked up on.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
@D-pad: Yeah, probably, but I have a lot on my plate IRL right now so not this week probably. But who knows.

Mank said:
Nah, I'm unfortunately away from WiFi access (for the DS) from Sunday night to Friday evening on most weeks (damn college doesn't allow DSs a way in), so I can't participate.

You could schedule your matches to be on the weekend maybe, ask Firestorm if it's possible.

Articalys

EvilMario said:
I managed to grab two Thundurus'

The one from my game ended up Naive with 28/6/29/26/13/16. It's okay.. but I wouldn't use it for battling.. considering it doesn't have HP Ice.

The other one is Quiet with 29/3/26/3/13/18. Terrible. Bought it off the GTS for one of my many older crap legendaries I've stocked up on.
How does one "stock up" on legendaries?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
D-Pad said:
But I want to know: Is Javascript hard to learn?

It is, but it isn't... if you know another language, you'll get the basics quickly enough but trip over JavaScript's weirdness. It has a lot of powerful features, but these features aren't as easily understood as the main features of other languages. Stuff like closures, prototypes, prototypal inheritance, etc. Also, its main way of interacting with the browser, the DOM API, is terrible, but that's mitigated by libraries like jQuery.

Even still, IMO it's the best language because of what you can accomplish with it. For personal projects I would not use anything else, even for games. Canvas and WebGL are very powerful tools now.

If you really want to learn it, pick up JavaScript: The Good Parts. It's a really thin book and a lightning fast read, but brings you up to pace very quickly. Then start messing around with jQuery.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Articalys said:

If you have several versions of a game it's pretty easy to get multiples of everything. And if that's the case you can sometimes get multiple versions of event Pokemon, too. It's how I have my "Legends" box practically full right now.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Articalys said:

Two ways.

One is I've played through every title (Fire Red, Emerald, Pokemon XD/Col, Pearl/Platinum, HGSS) many, many times.

Secondly, GTS. Usually it's a 'rare' Pokemon for a 'rare' Pokemon, but occasionally you can find people offering something like a Jirachi for a starter, an easier to obtain legendary Pokemon, etc.

I do tend to release any hacked Pokemon I come across though, so that hurts my numbers. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom