• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roto13 said:
Ugh, I'm trying to find a Duskull. Apparently the only place they exist in any of my DS games is on Route 224 in Pearl. Apparently I haven't actually been to Route 224 in Pearl, so I have to go through some nonsense with unfought trainers and uuuugh, it's so slow I can't even play it any more. I was in a six-Pokemon double battle and it was seriously taking ages. I got as far as two KOs and just turned it off. I don't have the patience for this.

They're common as shit on Platinum. My brother's actually around about the point where you first reach Lost Tower (he's playing through it now I've emptied it of valuables, bless ;) ), so if you want I could get you one tomorrow... that said I guess the rest of PokeGAF could get you one like right now. :lol

HenryGale said:
Beyond that I find no enjoyment in getting all the pokemon from other games, spending hours breeding worrying about these other stats ect. By wall I mean within the campaign, and not being a collectaholic.

I understand what you're saying now but that has nothing to do with actually hitting a wall. You're just not interested in what the game has to offer beyond what you've accomplished at some point. There's actual content for those who are.

I'm all for the whole 16 Gyms thing though. That was awesome.

Andrex said:
What's the difference? Either you're a casual player or a hardcore player. If you're casual then it doesn't matter what you lose when you start a new game.

Again, I don't agree. 100 hours of anything is not casual. It's just not being a poke maniac. You don't call someone who puts 40+ hours into a FPS game with an 8hour campaign casual. I just don't care for the post game stuff as much as others.

100 hours of anything is hardcore, it's just not crazy. So it does matter to me if I erase all that hard work and my awesome team that I spent over 100 hours playing with. I'd rather not delete it.

Izayoi said:

This.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HenryGale said:
100 hours of anything is hardcore, it's just not crazy. So it does matter to me if I erase all that hard work and my awesome team that I spent over 100 hours playing with. I'd rather not delete it.

Why? It's not like you're going to do anything with it.

roto13 said:
I think the way Nintendo sees it is your Pokemon game is your own personal Pokemon trainer account. It's less about going through the story from start to finish than it is about collecting and training Pokemon and battling with others. A Pokemon game with two save files is kind of like a cell phone with two phone numbers, contact lists, etc. Really, if you don't care about collecting Pokemon, you probably shouldn't care about erasing your save file in the first place. If there are a few you want to hang on to, you can just give them to someone to keep for you until you can trade them back, anyway.

This.

Roto13

Oh, yes please. I'll hop online in a minute. Name Rater is somewhere in Castelia City, right? :p

HenryGale said:
Again, I don't agree. 100 hours of anything is not casual. It's just not being a poke maniac. You don't call someone who puts 40+ hours into a FPS game with an 8hour campaign casual. I just don't care for the post game stuff as much as others.

So, get someone to hold on to them for you while you start over. What do you want to keep? If you don't care about collecting, then you probably don't care about most of your Pokemon, if you even have that many to begin with. You want to start the story over so you don't care about that. It's not like there are any particularly hard-to-get items besides the training ones from the Battle Subway and you probably don't care about those.

Gravijah

EvilMario said:
Thanks for the trades. I don't know about the IVs for this Deino, but you can pass down Dark Pulse, since this is a Male.

Thanks much! Phew, I think you were the last person I could add to my PalPad.

JVIDICAN

Roto13 said:
Oh, yes please. I'll hop online in a minute. Name Rater is somewhere in Castelia City, right? :p

So, get someone to hold on to them for you while you start over. What do you want to keep? If you don't care about collecting, then you probably don't care about most of your Pokemon, if you even have that many to begin with. You want to start the story over so you don't care about that. It's not like there are any particularly hard-to-get items besides the training ones from the Battle Subway and you probably don't care about those.
Yeah. lol. I spent 30 minutes trying to find the guy last night. Finally did though! :p

Holy Order Sol said:
I understand what you're saying now but that has nothing to do with actually hitting a wall. You're just not interested in what the game has to offer beyond what you've accomplished at some point. There's actual content for those who are.

I'm all for the whole 16 Gyms thing though. That was awesome.

That was really awesome.

I just don't get how any one of you can rationalize this though. Regardless of why or how the game should be perceived. The fact is simple. Games have beel allowing multiple saves for a long long long time. Regardless of reason the fact hat it is year 2011 and I can play a game which i can get a few hundred hours deep into, and then have to delete to start a fresh campaign, if not just for fun is stupid.

There's plenty of games where campaigns barely scratch 20 hours, theres a game that doesn't need a multiple save. Why should i care it's only 20 hours right? No people would hate that, so why is pokemon different? It's not, it's bullshit and people have zero reason to come to defense over it, as it wouldn't effect anything other than people like myself.

I can think of many reasons for wanting it.

I want to try a new starter out.
I' playing along with my friends and want to play another campaign while they catch up.
Ive beaten the game, got every single pokemon and want to now play for fun and not destroy my competitive team.

Roto13 said:

I guess you don't get an attachment rational or not to things you have spent time on. personally the large amount of time I put into a game is worth something to me, wether it matters or not it's stupid for you to rationalize a missing feature games have offered since the NES

Roto13

Oh, yes, clearly I'm a moron for understanding that a creative team might put certain limitations on their game so it will be experienced a certain way. Games are a list of features! How could I be so blind!
JVIDICAN said:
Yeah. lol. I spent 30 minutes trying to find the guy last night. Finally did though! :p

Hey, it looks like I can't do this right now. :p We'll do it later if you're around.

Izayoi

Banned
I just want a way to back my save up. Losing what is easily close to a thousand hours of cumulative playtime would be a pretty big kick in the balls, to say the least.

JVIDICAN

Does anyone else need/want Snivy or Solosis?
Most of the Snivys are timid and bred for S.Atk and speed.
The Solosis were bred for S.atk and HP with varying natures. I do have one or two modest ones though. :)

Izayoi said:
I just want a way to back my save up. Losing what is easily close to a thousand hours of cumulative playtime would be a pretty big kick in the balls, to say the least.

Doesn't Action Replay let you backup your saves?

HenryGale said:
I can think of many reasons for wanting it.

I want to try a new starter out.
I' playing along with my friends and want to play another campaign while they catch up.
Ive beaten the game, got every single pokemon and want to now play for fun and not destroy my competitive team.

Nah, this I can agree with. I was just arguing the point that one could literally run out of things to do in the whole game, but that wasn't what you actually meant.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Izayoi said:

It is very difficult to actually use your save, as your cart does have a backup copy of it on there for restoring purposes. You'd have to actually damage the cart to be unplayable, pretty much.

More information: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Saving

Izayoi

Banned
EvilMario said:
It is very difficult to actually use your save, as your cart does have a backup copy of it on there for restoring purposes. You'd have to actually damage the cart to be unplayable, pretty much.

More information: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Saving
I'm aware, but that doesn't change the fact that it still makes me incredibly nervous having my save in only one place. If for whatever reason my cart does get destroyed I would be fucked.

Izayoi said:
Not that I know of.

If I'm wrong and it does I'll be picking one up on Sunday when I buy the 3DS, though.

Well, if you look at the Pokemon Black or White pages on Game FAQs they have a section called saves that say they're Action Replay Max DS files. So I think they do let you backup saves. I have never used a DS AR though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Izayoi said:
I'm aware, but that doesn't change the fact that it still makes me incredibly nervous having my save in only one place. If for whatever reason my cart does get destroyed I would be fucked.

I could understand the feeling. If you took all my hours from all carts, and say they're pretty much all on White right now.. geez. That's a lot of time.

OMG Aero

Izayoi said:
That's the same as all DS games though. That isn't a problem that would be fixed by multiple save slots.

Gravijah said:
Could also use a flash cart if you wanted.

I think that works only for DPPt, after that the infra-red thing messes stuff up or something. I've read about other devices specifically made for backing up saves though, but I forgot what they're called.

Izayoi

Banned
OMG Aero said:
That's the same as all DS games though. That isn't a problem that would be fixed by multiple save slots.
It's different for Pokemon. I've never put as much time into a DS game as I have with all of my Pokemon gametime that's being stored on White.

Most other games have no link to future entries in the series, either. If I beat a game in its entirety - then that's it, I get my sense of completion and can not worry about it too much after that.

With Pokemon I lose EVERYTHING that I've built up over nearly a decade now. Losing that and needing to start over from scratch would be devastating, to say the least.

Gravijah said:
Yeah, there's an AR that backs up saves. Could also use a flash cart if you wanted.
Oh? I've got an Acekard 2 for stuff like Touhou and the VNs. Never really used it much other than for those things, though. How would I go about backing it up?

Wiseblade said:
I dunno, multiple saves kind of goes against Pokémon's key mechanics by reducing the necessity of trading.
Eh? Trading is necessitated by having two different versions of the game. Who says you could trade between saves, anyway. It's not like they would have to allow that or anything.

Gravijah

Izayoi said:
Oh? I've got an Acekard 2 for stuff like Touhou and the VNs. Never really used it much other than for those things, though. How would I go about backing it up?

Well I meant you'd have to start playing the game on a flash cart.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Wtf @ people fighting against more save slots. There really isn't any hurt in it.

Prolly just another example of GF being lazy.

Well, it's not really being lazy. Look at DQ9. It's a design choice. But as I said before, I have no problem with them adding more slots.

Delio

ugh i'm conflicted. Wide guard will help Alomolo support much better but i like the self healing with Wish. The rest of his moves are fine but i'm conflicted on those.

Does anyone here have a Jolly Ditto with 31 IV in Speed? I need one for my next breeding expedition, and I don't really feel up to catching up to 36 Ditto ._.;

I can offer these starters:
Charmander/Bulbasaur
Cyndaquil
Torchic
Gen 4 starters
Gen 5 starters

or Modest DP Deino in return, or most of the Pokémon catchable in White.

Hey all, is anyone willing to help me out and trade a shelmet so my karrablast will evolve?

I have both karrablast and shelmet if it matters n_n. I'd appreciate it tremendously!~

My FC is 5372 - 0118 - 0788.

FunkyMunkey said:
Hey all, is anyone willing to help me out and trade a shelmet so my karrablast will evolve?

I have both karrablast and shelmet if it matters n_n. I'd appreciate it tremendously!~

My FC is 5372 - 0118 - 0788.
Well, I'll help you while I'm waiting. FC's in the OP list. (3739-8842-7058)
Gravijah said:
Any time I read one of Coltraines posts, I imagine that he is Detective Gumshoe.
DOH HO HO HO HO HO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom