• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

What are your guys' opinions on a semi-competitive water type? I'm going back and forth between Starmie and Skill Link Cloyster. I like Starmie more, but Cloyster with icicle spear is pretty devastating.

Wiseblade

Crunched said:
What are your guys' opinions on a semi-competitive water type? I'm going back and forth between Starmie and Skill Link Cloyster. I like Starmie more, but Cloyster with icicle spear is pretty devastating.
I dunno, Skill Link Cloyster seems a little gimmicky with everyone and their brother running Mach Punch. Starmie's more reliable, more consistent, checks everything and doubles as a rapid spinner at the same time.

EDIT: Ignore what I said. Go with Cloyster.

Izayoi

Banned
Crunched said:
Cloyster > *

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
JVIDICAN said:
Hmm. I read it as no items at all. It cost me a few battles last night. :(

So that tourney.. is that the double battle one or a different one?

Which one?

Holy Order Sol said:
Skill Link Cloyster is what happens when you merge Satan, Deadpool and voodoo dolls

Explain?

Gravijah

use my favorite water pokemon duhhhhhhh
esI1J.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
JVIDICAN said:
Whatever tourney you were referring too? I thought a double battle tourney was mentioned sometime back and was wondering if that was the one you were talking about.

Oh right, yeah. I was saying I hope I get past the first round in that.

TheOGB

Banned
Wiseblade said:
Skill link + icicle spear = 125 STAB ice attack that breaks Sturdy, Focus Sash and Substitute.
Jesus christ i need to get a cloyster ASAP

I don't even play competitively but that just sounds fucking boss

Gravijah

Crunched said:
Don't even know what that is. Is it a R/S/E Pokemon? I skipped that gen.

Yes, but that's the shiny version. It's normally blue. BUT WATER/GROUND, BABY!

Izayoi said:
It would seem that blasting music all day has a negative impact on your hearing.

Hm.

Indeed! And staring at screens all day is bad for your eyes.

Boogiepop

Hmmm... I definitely want to go for a Galvantula next, but the Smogon sets call for specific hidden power no matter what you do. Ugh. Hidden Power is my single most hated part of the metagame because it can require such precision breeding, and I am NOT looking forward to trying to get the right one.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
At Victory Road, have finally decided upon the following team... not that I'll be fully evolved when I beat the game, but whatever.

Serperior
Excadrill
Hydreigon
Volcarona
Cofagrigus
Haxorus

I just can't bring myself to not include both dragons....

I thought of including Vanilluxe but I don't see how I can without having a major problem with fighting types. There's just no room.... :(

It has prettty awesome stats but I'm finding its move pool isn't really that diverse.

Holy shit a shiny Gurdurr! My first shiny ever.

Right after I caught him I went to go catch another guy and got a critical capture. What are the chances of one of those?

ryan-ts

GaimeGuy said:
At Victory Road, have finally decided upon the following team... not that I'll be fully evolved when I beat the game, but whatever.

Serperior
Excadrill
Hydreigon
Volcarona
Cofagrigus
Haxorus

I just can't bring myself to not include both dragons....

I thought of including Vanilluxe but I don't see how I can without having a major problem with fighting types. There's just no room.... :(

It has prettty awesome stats but I'm finding its move pool isn't really that diverse.

Yeah, I have a weak spot for Dragon Pokemon as well, trying to hatch a shiny Axew as we speak. While we're on the subject, still looking for a Bagon and/or Trapinch if anyone is willing to give one up for scraps.

TheOGB

Banned
TheOGB said:
I don't even play competitively
So, quick question because I'm curious: could I EV train and just totally forget about IVs? That sounds like a hideously stupid thing to do, and probably is, but honestly do not have the patience for all that breeding.

Wiseblade

TheOGB said:
So, quick question because I'm curious: could I EV train and just totally forget about IVs? That sounds like a hideously stupid thing to do, and probably is, but honestly do not have the patience for all that breeding.
Maximum IVs aren't that crucial; thry usually add up to +/- 5-10% on a damage calculation which is less than ideal but isn't quite the end of the world. The only stat where a compelling case could be made for needing max IVs is for Speed, and really only applies to a few pokemon in key speed tiers (Base 90, 95, 100, 115).

Roto13

JVIDICAN said:
So whats up with random wifi battles? When you join it states no items are allowed, but obviously they are. :p

@ Roto. Let me know when you wanna do the fix.
Are you still around? :p
Kingbrave said:
Question: I have an 8 year old son and he loves the cartoon. He can read really well. Do you think this game would be okay for him? I'm looking for a game we can play together other than Mario Kart. Thanks.

Edit: I should note that I've never played a Pokemon game before.
Kids younger than 8 play Pokemon. My brother was 8 when he started playing Pokemon and he didn't have any trouble. (Well, except he made me go through Victory Road for him.)

Izayoi

Banned
Roto13 said:

Kids younger than 8 play Pokemon. My brother was 8 when he started playing Pokemon and he didn't have any trouble. (Well, except he made me go through Victory Road for him.)
My little sister started at six.

Granted, by the time she got to the Elite Four she only had two Pokemon who were even remotely close to being on level, Empoleon (she's my favorite little sibling, by the way) and Staraptor. I had to teach her the ways of Revive and Full Restore spamming, but she made it through.

Roto13

I think the GTS might be down.

Earlier I said I'd be back later looking for a Duskull. Does anyone have a Duskull or any of its siblings? :p

Izayoi said:
My little sister started at six.

Granted, by the time she got to the Elite Four she only had two Pokemon who were even remotely close to being on level, Empoleon (she's my favorite little sibling, by the way) and Staraptor. I had to teach her the ways of Revive and Full Restore spamming, but she made it through.
ah i remember those days level 60+ starter pokemon against e4, level 20-30 everything else lol

on another not i just got trolled by jellicent's pokemon entry while trying to find a non-creepy ghost entry. " they propel themselves by expelling absorbed seawater from their bodies. -thinks well that isn't bad- their favorite food is life energy"......:|

JVIDICAN

Roto13 said:

yep!

Roto13

EDIT: Well it looks like I have some trading to do. :p I can meet you both in the Wi Fi room. Dpad, is there anything you're looking for?
DoomXploder7 said:
ah i remember those days level 60+ starter pokemon against e4, level 20-30 everything else lol

on another not i just got trolled by jellicent's pokemon entry while trying to find a non-creepy ghost entry. " they propel themselves by expelling absorbed seawater from their bodies. -thinks well that isn't bad- their favorite food is life energy"......:|
"The fate of the ships and crew that wander into Jellicent's habitat: all sunken, all lost, all vanished."

And Frillish:

"With its thin, veil-like arms wrapped around the body of its opponent, it sinks to the ocean floor."

:O

I just caught Cobalion in three turns and with only one Dusk Ball! I threw one Ultra Ball before that, though. Still, it only took one Dusk Ball...wow! I was very, very shocked. Smoothest legendary capture ever.

D-Pad

Roto13 said:
EDIT: Well it looks like I have some trading to do. :p I can meet you both in the Wi Fi room. Dpad, is there anything you're looking for?
"The fate of the ships and crew that wander into Jellicent's habitat: all sunken, all lost, all vanished."

And Frillish:

"With its thin, veil-like arms wrapped around the body of its opponent, it sinks to the ocean floor."

Nah I'm good :)

JVIDICAN

Roto13 said:
floor."
Alright. What did you want it named btw?
I'll let you hold on to my shiny scrafty for a bit as insurance. lol

Red

dragonlife29 said:
:O

I just caught Cobalion in three turns and with only one Dusk Ball! I threw one Ultra Ball before that, though. Still, it only took one Dusk Ball...wow! I was very, very shocked. Smoothest legendary capture ever.
Yeah, my experience has been similar with every legendary. I know Volcarona doesn't really count, but it's a "special" Pokemon all the same, and I caught it on my second turn using a net ball. Don't know if they've been intentionally made easier or if I've just been having a game-long streak of good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom