• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izayoi

Banned
Articalys said:
I was far removed from the Pokemon scene at the time D/P came out... what was the reaction to Jasmine like? She was the only character from a previous gen to show up there, wasn't she?
Immediately people suspected something was up.

Every time somebody asked Gamefreak about it in an interview they immediately shot down the idea, so for a long time people actually were skeptical as to whether or not there would be a remake.

We now know that if Gamefreak is dropping hints there's a good chance that it's a reality. With the holes and constant talk of things that still need to be wrapped up in BW it's pretty clear that we'll be getting a third version, and the sprites are an obvious clue to the Generation III remakes.

Is there a problem with hacked Pokemon in online battles? I know it catches things with impossible stats/movesets but I'm still a bit concerned about it.

I'm not gonna hop online until I have a team of mostly or all EV trained pokemon that I'm happy with, but what have people's experiences been like?

Also, random question: do you gain EVs when you catch a pokemon?

Izayoi

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Is there a problem with hacked Pokemon in online battles? I know it catches things with impossible stats/movesets but I'm still a bit concerned about it.

I'm not gonna hop online until I have a team of mostly or all EV trained pokemon that I'm happy with, but what have people's experiences been like?

Also, random question: do you gain EVs when you catch a pokemon?
Well, to battle online I'm pretty sure the Pokemon have to be completely legitimate as far as movesets, stats, abilities, and all of that jazz goes now. I've yet to run into any Wondertombs so that's probably a good sign.

As for the EV question, no, you do not gain EVs for capturing a Pokemon - only for defeating one.

Delio

Only thing i have ran into that shouldnt be out yet is Dream world Politoad. I'm guessing most online teams are Pokesaved though.

Izayoi

Banned
Delio said:
Only thing i have ran into that shouldnt be out yet is Dream world Politoad. I'm guessing most online teams are Pokesaved though.
Yup, undoubtedly. You're going to have tons of people from smogon shitting up the randoms, in addition to random kids Pokesaving their hearts out.

I did see a full team of shiny, perfect-stat pseudos - that was neat.

Negator said:
Oh god 5 losses in a row.

I'm far from becoming a pokemon master :(
Don't sweat it. You've got tons of cheater teams, as mentioned earlier. You'll probably have a much easier time with people on GAF, who obtain their Pokemon legitimately.

Articalys said:
If wifi is working again, does anyone have a spare moment to help with some trade-based evolutions?
Yup. Friend code is in the Google Doc. White version.

Articalys

Izayoi said:
Yup, undoubtedly. You're going to have tons of people from smogon shitting up the randoms, in addition to random kids Pokesaving their hearts out.

I did see a full team of shiny, perfect-stat pseudos - that was neat.

Don't sweat it. You've got tons of cheater teams, as mentioned earlier. You'll probably have a much easier time with people on GAF, who obtain their Pokemon legitimately.

Yup. Friend code is in the Google Doc. White version.
Cool, thanks. So is mine. Will be in the wifi club in a few.

Delio said:
I have only played Japanese players and all them had dream world pokemon. Pisses me off. :mad:

GLopez12

Neo Member
Game Freak made it impossible to have impossible moves or stats online, so I don't think there are any cheaters online. Some people might be maxing IVs with Action Replay and Pokesav, but I don't think that's really cheating since it doesn't break the game's legit possibilities.

Articalys

Izayoi said:
Tap tap tap tap tap.

You can learn Power Gem via a Heart Scale.

You can learn Bulk Up via a Heart Scale.

And... it froze. Sweet.
Yeah, not sure what happened there. It all worked out though.
Thanks again!

Izayoi

Banned
Articalys said:
Yeah, not sure what happened there. It all worked out though.
Thanks again!
Anytime.

For future reference though, keep voice chat off. It only seems to cause problems when trading.

I'm out, see everyone later today.

vall03

is it just me or are the legendaries much easier to catch here? I mean Terrakion, Virizion, and Kyurem all took just one Dusk Ball for me to catch. I had more trouble catching a fucking wild Metagross than those three combined!

I've nearly "seen" all Pokemon except the new event Pokemon now :D

All I'm missing are:
Machamp, Shellder, Electabuzz, Magmar, Porygon, Kabutops, Togetic, Proygon 2, Blissey, Mudkip, Marshtomp, Cascoon, Relicanth (can you find this at all post-GBA?), Cherubi, Heatran, Tornadus and Landorus!

I can probably breed/evolve for most. It's just Relicanth, Heatran and the Black Roamer that are gonna cause me headaches.

I finished IV breeding some Heracross last night and I need some input. I don't know if it's ok to post it here, but I figure it should be fine and people can make mistakes. I only got a single adamant one and a single Jolly one(with shitty speed dammit). I'm not all that fond of their stats though. Should I just keep breeding in the hopes that I hit a jackpot? I nearly had it with a Jolly one...

Here are their lvl 100 stats with no EV training and IV values...

Heracross Male Guts Docile ice
Heracross - #214 (Docile) Male (♂) : 28 / 31 / 30 / 31 / 5 / 31

Heracross Male Guts Lonely dark
Heracross - #214 (Lonely) Male (♂) Guts: 17 / 19 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31

Heracross Female Guts Quirky dragon
Heracross - #214 (Quirky) Female (♀) Guts: 4 / 28 / 31 / 25 / 13 / 31

Heracross Male Guts Adamant Psychic
Heracross - #214 (Adamant) Male (♂) Guts: 21 / 28 / 31 / 31 / 21 / 18

Heracross female swarm Jolly Psychic
Heracross - #214 (Jolly) Female (♀) Swarm: 22 / 28 / 27 / 31 / 31 / 2

Negator said:
Oh god 5 losses in a row.

I'm far from becoming a pokemon master :(

SIX LOSSES WWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
2laxsj.jpg

Favorite type: Ice (in concept), Ghost (in execution,
no pun intended
)

Azure J

Man, I am so happy that 16 years after I first learned to never ever doubt the simple Pokeball that I can still say I do the most insane shit when it's legendary hunting time. Seriously:

- Mewtwo on my first Pokemon Red save & playthrough ever with Pokeball
- Groudon with my first Pokeball after depleting literally every other type of Pokeball I had on me.
- Rayquaza in the same Ruby file at 3/4ths health

*Insanity mode start here*

- Palkia with one in Platinum on first try, then went on and boss rushed to Dialga and just for shits and giggles tossed one first try to see what my brother would do if I had caught it without any preparation in between--

*click*

Captured. :lol

Joining this impressive resume is Kyurem with a Pokeball (though asleep) at 3/4ths health.

TL;DR: Never doubt the Pokeball or disrespect it. It will always see you through. :lol

On another note entirely, I'm having two different issues trying to build my team now. Currently, it looks like this:

Elektross
Hydregion
Dragonite
Volcarona
Serperior
Jellicent (Curleh)

There's a fuckton of type coverages in there thanks to the moves I've picked for each mon individually, but I'm getting kinda tired of being completely raped by Ice moves and Rocks (fucking rocks are everywhere I swear). I know this decision essentially boils down to "drop Dragonite or Hydregion" but it's seriously like picking between my kids when it comes down to it. Never mind the fact that dragon types (especially Dragonite) have been my favorite since I first saw Lance's Dragonite in the RBY Elite Four battles and went "HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT, I WANT IT", but it's beastly defenses, pretty damn good special attack and (currently) 233 ATK stat at Level 71 is just screaming at me to be used for something devious. Hydregion is pretty much the new love though with higher Sp. Atk and Dark moves. I'm wondering now which one I should drop for later now.

The second matter at hand is pretty simple, what is everyone's preference between Outrage & Dragon Claw for high damage physical dragon moves? As much as I like blitzing with Outrage, I'm pretty scared of mindlessly doing so in post Gen IV with so many counters being prepped to take advantage of the possibly confused state I'd enter after two to three turns. Dragon Claw then comes to mind as a safer option with more PP to boot, but something about being 80 attack over 90/95 doesn't sit right with me. (Why oh why did Dragon Rush have to have such meh accuracy...) This is all for me thinking up some fun stuff for Dragonite later although I know I want one of these two moves and Hurricane currently.

Tangent: Sometimes I feel like my pre first roud E4 team was better balanced:

Elektross
Swoobat
Scrafty
Darmanitan
Serperior
Seimitoad (ugly as fuck but dat water/ground mixed nature...)

Edit: Favorites? Damn that's a hard one...

Fav: Dragon/Dark/Steel
Not so liked: Normal/Poison

It's not even that I hate poison as a typing honestly, some of my favorite Pokemon in design are Poison types. I just hate that I can never get far using them with the few type effectivenesses they have and many counters against them. (Crobat & Scoliopede... ;_;)

Roto13

Running around in a cave, trying to find a Dawn Stone. It's the last evolution stone I need. This is going to take forever. :( I should be hatching eggs while I do this.
Izayoi said:
Immediately people suspected something was up.

Every time somebody asked Gamefreak about it in an interview they immediately shot down the idea, so for a long time people actually were skeptical as to whether or not there would be a remake.

We now know that if Gamefreak is dropping hints there's a good chance that it's a reality. With the holes and constant talk of things that still need to be wrapped up in BW it's pretty clear that we'll be getting a third version, and the sprites are an obvious clue to the Generation III remakes.
Gold and Silver remakes were pretty much confirmed when people started picking at Diamond and Pearl and saw that Johto was a valid place of origin for Pokemon. Before HeartGold/SoulSilver there was no way to transfer a Pokemon from Johto.

AzureJericho said:
*Insanity mode start here*

- Palkia with one in Platinum on first try, then went on and boss rushed to Dialga and just for shits and giggles tossed one first try to see what my brother would do if I had caught it without any preparation in between--

*click*

Captured. :lol
Palkia and Dialga have much, much higher catch rates than other legendaries. (So do Reshiram and Zekrom.)

Merovin said:
What's the easiest way to check IVs in B/W?

Oh and Favourite: Dragon
Least Favourite: Normal
I would read this first to get somewhat acquainted with IV. Then I'd read the steps if I were you.

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/breeding_guide_part1

Step 1: Find the IV in the battle station places(someone here will pinpoint them for you).

Step 2: Find out which pokemon are relatively superior or outstanding and set them aside.

Step 3: Use the metalkid iv calculator to do the rest. Just input their nature, their lvl 100 stats with no EV training(that means they have to be fresh and unused in battle), and their characteristic. You can find these stats by using them in a level 100 wi fi battle that will show you their maxed out stats. You can also use an extra row for their level 1 stats so you only have to fill two rows with stats.

Calculator: http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

Step 4: Cry in your sleep because you missed the perfect pokemon by a hair.

Azure J

Roto13 said:
Palkia and Dialga have much, much higher catch rates than other legendaries. (So do Reshiram and Zekrom.)

Oh, figures... :p

On another note, I still need to pick up Superior Silver. I can't believe that it's Pokemon getting me to portable gaming full time but I'm glad for it. :lol

Roto13

Still wandering through a cave, looking for a Dawn Stone. I've managed to find a Moon Stone and a Fire Stone. Shame the only thing I need is a Dawn Stone. (Though a Dusk Stone would also come in handy.) I'm starting to hate Drillburs and those stupid gems nobody ever uses.

EDIT: And now an Everstone. Like I couldn't have million of those by now if I felt like hunting Roggenrollas.

Wiseblade

SolarPowered said:
Heracross Breeding Woes

Yeah, I wouldn't use any of those. Getting the right nature and ability (Hint: it's Guts) is way more important than IVs, but I'd rather try again than use a base 85 with 2 in speed.

Wiseblade

Roto13 said:
Still wandering through a cave, looking for a Dawn Stone. I've managed to find a Moon Stone and a Fire Stone. Shame the only thing I need is a Dawn Stone. (Though a Dusk Stone would also come in handy.) I'm starting to hate Drillburs and those stupid gems nobody ever uses.

EDIT: And now an Everstone. Like I couldn't have million of those by now if I felt like hunting Roggenrollas.
I have a spare dawn stone.

hmm I wonder if i can complete the dex today, the longest thing I think will be catching palkia,regis, crescelia, heatran, and mesprit in platinum since i can't seem to find my pearl ones.

Roto13

DoomXploder7 said:
hmm I wonder if i can complete the dex today, the longest thing I think will be catching palkia,regis, crescelia, heatran, and mesprit in platinum since i can't seem to find my pearl ones.
Well if you just want the Pokedex data, I can lend them all to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom