• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogiepop

So... saw a Salamence for the first time (in these games) in Battle Subway and... what happened to its palette? It's noticeably darker. Any other sprites look almost like a shiny of their old selves in this game?

Wiseblade said:
Yeah, I wouldn't use any of those. Getting the right nature and ability (Hint: it's Guts) is way more important than IVs, but I'd rather try again than use a base 85 with 2 in speed.
Yeah, I actually crossed out the jolly one a little while ago and I'm just going to use the Adamant one with an everstone and ditto to see what happens.

The one thing that keeps going through my mind when I'm breeding and EV training is that we would be pretty sick people in the pokemon universe haha.

Wiseblade

SolarPowered said:
Yeah, I actually crossed out the jolly one a little while ago and I'm just going to use the Adamant one with an everstone and ditto to see what happens.

The one thing that keeps going through my mind when I'm breeding and EV training is that we would be pretty sick people in the pokemon universe haha.
Why not use the docile one? with some power item trickery you could get another Heracross with Max Atk + Speed pretty easily.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Izayoi said:
For some unknown reason
lol
all of the Generation III Pokemon had their sprites completely re-worked from scratch.

What I don't really get is that a lot of Pokemon use their Platinum sprites instead of their HG/SS sprites, like Gyarados (which is lame.) IMO this is further vindication of my theory there are two teams inside GF, and the Platinum team is the one that worked on B/W with little interacting with the remake team.

EV training for Horsea is done. Now to evolve it twice, and I'll have half a team ready. :)
I'm saving breeding for Ludicolo in HG for last because going back is going to be fucking horrible. :(

Boogiepop

Grr... anyone have a Ditto or male in the Bug group with perfect speed that they'd be willing to trade? I want to get my Galvantula breeding started...

ahahaha YES. Finally beat
Ingo
and got enough BP to pay for a Power Item.

...but I'll need to get at least two more, for my EV-training purposes. Drat! :V

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Izayoi said:
Oh, I'm not knocking them at all.

I just think it's funny how Gamefreak puts such obvious hints in their games and then denies it the next day.

I don't remember them denying any remakes, HGSS or RS or otherwise...

zumphry

Banned
Andrex said:
What I don't really get is that a lot of Pokemon use their Platinum sprites instead of their HG/SS sprites, like Gyarados (which is lame.) IMO this is further vindication of my theory there are two teams inside GF, and the Platinum team is the one that worked on B/W with little interacting with the remake team.

Which IMO is really dumb (but kinda more efficient, I guess :/)

AzureJericho said:
Man, I am so happy that 16 years after I first learned to never ever doubt the simple Pokeball that I can still say I do the most insane shit when it's legendary hunting time. Seriously:

Yeah. I usually had a system to start with regular Pokeballs then work my way up to Ultras (Poke: lvls 5-20ish, Great: 20-40, Ultra: 40+), but ever since around FireRed I've noticed that my system can be and will be subverted whenever the RNG feels like it.

Plus since SuperiorSilver I've been using the specific case balls (lol im 5) like you're supposed to.

Boogiepop

Mank said:
Grr... anyone have a Ditto or male in the Bug group with perfect speed that they'd be willing to trade? I want to get my Galvantula breeding started...
Actually, I have a really good Female Ninjask, so I'll just chain breed its IVs.

Andrefpvs

Wow, this thread moves fast!

I'm thinking about breeding a couple of good Gen V Pokémon with good IVs to take on the Battle Subway.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking Archeops and something else...

JVIDICAN

Gah! Every time I have an upper hand in a battle it disconnects, yet every time I'm being whooped by some asshat it manages to stay connected >:/

Red

HappyBivouac said:
Is there a problem with hacked Pokemon in online battles? I know it catches things with impossible stats/movesets but I'm still a bit concerned about it.

I'm not gonna hop online until I have a team of mostly or all EV trained pokemon that I'm happy with, but what have people's experiences been like?

Also, random question: do you gain EVs when you catch a pokemon?
Ha dammit my cat jumped on my keyboard.

What I was going to say is: I've fought two random battles online. The first was all shiny legendaries, each apparently indestructible (my haxorus did like, maybe 1/30th an HP bar of damage to Zekrom with dragon claw). In the second battle, I fought a shiny Tyranitar and Garchomp, and needed to shut off my DS to exit because neither I nor my opponent could damage each other. Every attack did 0 damage. So though it may be anecdotal, I've definitely run into problems. 100% of my experience has been negative :(

Lkr

pokegaf: WHICH STARTER SHOULD I CHOOSE?!

I got black the other day and I am about to start it. I already chose Oshawott in white, so I don't want to go that route again. I'm thinking Snivvy.

Wiseblade

Lkr said:

I got black the other day and I am about to start it. I already chose Oshawott in white, so I don't want to go that route again. I'm thinking Snivvy.
You think correctly.

Roto13

Lkr said:

You could transfer a couple over to White and start with all three. :p

zumphry

Banned
Crunched said:
Ha dammit my cat jumped on my keyboard.

What I was going to say is: I've fought two random battles online. The first was all shiny legendaries, each apparently indestructible (my haxorus did like, maybe 1/30th an HP bar of damage to Zekrom with dragon claw). In the second battle, I fought a shiny Tyranitar and Garchomp, and needed to shut off my DS to exit because neither I nor my opponent could damage each other. Every attack did 0 damage. So though it may be anecdotal, I've definitely run into problems. 100% of my experience has been negative :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfcDv3R2zu4

Mank said:

I can breed for a Venipede with perfect speed and give it to you, all I need in return is a trade back and forth to evolve Seadra.

Ravidrath

Late reaction, but... Wow, STAB applies to Normal-type?

According to Bulbapedia, like the original Pokemon strategy guide incorrectly said it didn't, so I've been thinking the wrong thing for like 15 years because of that error.

JVIDICAN

Ravidrath said:
Late reaction, but... Wow, STAB applies to Normal-type?

According to Wikipedia, like the original Pokemon strategy guide incorrectly said it didn't, so I've been thinking the wrong thing for like 15 years because of that error.

Yeah, I dont think theres a case were STAB doesn't apply if the moves the same as your typing.

Wiseblade said:
Why not use the docile one? with some power item trickery you could get another Heracross with Max Atk + Speed pretty easily.
I just finished hatching all thirty of my new Heracross and I managed to get eleven with the guts ability. One of them is outstanding and eight of them are relatively superior.

I don't have the time to go through the extra hoops so I just hope that luck is on my side.

Articalys

What is the strongest potential multiplier boost an attack can have? I think it would be STAB + (2x Super Effective) + Critical Hit + Held Item. So that's 1.2*2*2*2*what's the best item boost?

Delio

Crunched said:
How viable is stored power as a move, competitively? It seems so ridiculously OPed, but can only be used by relatively weak Pokemon.

Sigilyph says hi to that move as it uses Cosmic power to raise it's defenses then roosts off any damage it took.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Crunched said:
How viable is stored power as a move, competitively? It seems so ridiculously OPed, but can only be used by relatively weak Pokemon.

Not that great. For instance, with a Calm Mind user, it would take two Calm Minds to make it as powerful as Psychic. And none of the Pokemon that learn it and get STAB are bulky enough.

Using Calm Mind 6 times does give you a 260 base power move, but all these Psychics listed will have a tough time getting there considering their typing. I'd say if Jirachi could get this move through Tutor next game, it could have some great use. Latias might be able to use it, but it generally have 4 move slot syndrome and would rather have better coverage.

Psychic is not a good attacking type in OU.

Red

EvilMario said:
Not that great. For instance, with a Calm Mind user, it would take two Calm Minds to make it as powerful as Psychic. And none of the Pokemon that learn it and get STAB are bulky enough.

Using Calm Mind 6 times does give you a 260 base power move, but all these Psychics listed will have a tough time getting there considering their typing. I'd say if Jirachi could get this move through Tutor next game, it could have some great use. Latias might be able to use it, but it generally have 4 move slot syndrome and would rather have better coverage.

Psychic is not a good attacking type in OU.
Okay. That's what I figured. It's potentially devastating but simply takes too long to set up.

I was wondering about getting it for a Musharna but I'll probably stick to more standard moves.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If you're using it in-game, or Battle Subway, you might find time to set it up. If you're using it competitively though, Musharna just won't have time for it.

I just scanning through the ten Heracross and I picked out the top four. The best one of the four is an absolute monster. This thing must have 30+ IV in every stat except sp.attack.
Crunched said:
Okay. That's what I figured. It's potentially devastating but simply takes too long to set up.

I was wondering about getting it for a Musharna but I'll probably stick to more standard moves.
I checked up on stored power and you can apparently breed it onto Evee. I'm pretty sure that Espeon or Umbreon could do the move justice if you set it up properly.

Wiseblade

Eevee learns it through breeding? I bet someone could make a really fun Eeveelution Baton Pass team utilising this with Espeon as the cincher.

EDIT: Beaten!

Red

EvilMario said:
If you're using it in-game, or Battle Subway, you might find time to set it up. If you're using it competitively though, Musharna just won't have time for it.
I mean, I don't want to go out of my way to IV/EV train so I wouldn't last long in competitive play anyway. But a few random battles here and there, sure.

I might try it out sometime. Right now I've been Yawning + Dream Eating with my Musharna, and his decent HP stat helps to let him last that extra turn for getting opponents to sleep. He's a decently tough psychic type IMO, not the best thing ever but a solid addition.

SolarPowered said:
I checked up on stored power and you can apparently breed it onto Evee. I'm pretty sure that Espeon or Umbreon could do the move justice if you set it up properly.
Would be an incredible sweep after boosting stats, especially considering Espeon's speed.

Reknoc

Yea now we're talking, was tired of seeing all these boring previous gen pokemon during the end game but now I've got a Bibarel! Time to create an army of Bidoofs.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Articalys said:
What is the strongest potential multiplier boost an attack can have? I think it would be STAB + (2x Super Effective) + Critical Hit + Held Item. So that's 1.2*2*2*2*what's the best item boost?

Don't forget weather.

Boogiepop

Holy crap! Togekiss has feet?! I thought those were tail feathers, but I never really looked that closely. Watching the anime is informative.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mank said:
Holy crap! Togekiss has feet?! I thought those were tail feathers, but I never really looked that closely. Watching the anime is informative.

Hah we're watching the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom