• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrefpvs

Welp, I wanna breed a good Battle Subway team and need suggestions :(

Hopefully something that won't get me pumped as I build up a winning streak and then I lose as I'm nearing the Subway bosses as it's happened like 5 times now :|

Gravijah

z8Rod.png

Come on, guys. Come on.

So before I start on Sunday (yes I'm giddy), what's the consensus popular starter? Is it still fire>water>grass or are more people picking Oshawott this time around?

Gravijah

-Pyromaniac- said:
So before I start on Sunday (yes I'm giddy), what's the consensus popular starter? Is it still fire>water>grass or are more people picking Oshawott this time around?

Consensus is that Oshawott rules and Tepig and Snivy drools.

D-Pad

Andrefpvs said:
Welp, I wanna breed a good Battle Subway team and need suggestions :(

Mandibuzz and Leftovers w/ Roost, Taunt, Flatter and whatever.

Pawniard w/ Nightslash, Swords Dance, Metal Sound, whatever. Give it an item that raises critical hit percentage.

You don't need any other Pokemon except maybe Haxorus and/or Hydreigon.

At least that's what I learned from battling there. >:\

Azure J

EvilMario said:
Outspeeding Serperior? Terrible nature, or IVs?

It's one part IVs on my bro's part (I'm convinced) and one part playing before I really sat down and thought about the finer things. I picked his team apart in a battle a bit earlier with a "in progress" move pool with said Serperior, but now I'm going back to the lab and thinking about different coverages I can play with. Honestly though this guy, as much as I pretty much never part with my starter, is going to get replaced once that Dream World Snivy (and later, Serperior) gets in my hands. 2x power boost from Leaf Storm thanks to that ability Perversity? Hell yes, you are now my favorite special blitzing grass 'mon ever! :lol

Fun stuff aside, I just found out that my Eelektross' speed stat is not only woefully lacking, but I can't influence them with Carbos. What should I do to fix? Also for reference:

Level 71

Female - Naughty nature

HP 219
ATK 214
DEF 136
SP. ATK 171
SP. DEF 126
SPEED 107

TheOGB

Banned
After seeing Unova-only Pokemon for so long, it's weird going to Route 11 and suddenly seeing all these older Pokemon. It... kinda messes it up for me. :/ I mean, I'm so into this faraway place at this point and then "A wild Zangoose appeared!"

...HOLY SHIT ZANGOOSE?! *catches*

D-Pad

Gravijah said:
http://i.imgur.com/z8Rod.png[img]

Come on, guys. Come [I]on[/I].[/QUOTE]

If the in-game Poliwraths had golden chasis belts and dark blue skin, then yeah, I'd like them more. :P

Didn't know where else to post this, but I just read about the Lavender Town Tune from the original games. Apparently some sound engineer put a tone in the game that killed like 200 kids including his own son then killed himself. Not sure if true or not but it was a freaky read.

What is pokeGaf's thoughts? Another creepy pasta or genuine?

Ok, I'm waiting for my 3DS to come so that I can finally play!

Just wanted to know if someone here is breeding Axew. Cause I would like baby one with Dragon Pulse and good attack + speed if someone is. :D

Azure J

TheOGB said:
After seeing Unova-only Pokemon for so long, it's weird going to Route 11 and suddenly seeing all these older Pokemon. It... kinda messes it up for me. :/ I mean, I'm so into this faraway place at this point and then "A wild Zangoose appeared!"

This was pretty much me when I started fishing for things.

*At Dragonspiral Tower Moat*

Basculin, Basculin, Basculin...

HOLY FUCK LEVEL 53 DRATINI? A.K.A. EASIEST DRAGONITE GET IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAMES?

Shit was so cash.

AzureJericho said:

HOLY FUCK LEVEL 53 DRATINI? A.K.A. EASIEST DRAGONITE GET IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAMES?

Shit was so cash.

Well I know what I'm doing next

AzureJericho said:

Shit was so cash.

Just wait until
you encounter an actual Dragonite.

Articalys

TheOGB said:

The crazy part for me happened when I saw Buizel whirling its tail, and it sunk in that all 400+ of the previous Pokemon now had idle animations. That's a pretty nice bit of work from GF.

Soru said:
Didn't know where else to post this, but I just read about the Lavender Town Tune from the original games. Apparently some sound engineer put a tone in the game that killed like 200 kids including his own son then killed himself. Not sure if true or not but it was a freaky read.

I just heard he put in a tone that made people really fucking gullible.

Soru said:

I always hated that song/ town :/

OMG Aero said:
Item clause is great. It stops people from having Focus Sash or Leftovers on every single Pokemon.

It also stops me from using three Life Orbs, which in turn prevents my team from working at all so fuck it.

And there's no way that story about Lavender Town is true. XD

Mr. Sam

Soru said:

I dunno; you tell me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_411G29lfy4

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Articalys said:
More importantly, if I remember my episodes, that was the Poliwrath that eventually made Charizard respect Ash, and consequently turned him into a badass.

Yeah, Charizard Chills...

That's a pretty cool honor too, since I think Charizard's only lost to Dragonite, Blaziken, and Dusclops in the show.

Azure J

Electivirus said:
Just wait until
you encounter an actual Dragonite.

Wat. Watwat. Watwatwat?

Camping at the moat, brb.

Edit: That's another thing I forgot about this game's music, every time I hear the theme used for places like Dragonspiral Tower, I want to play A Link to The Past. It sounds just like the light world dungeon theme in places. :lol

Izayoi

Banned
Soru said:

It's bullshit, just like all of the other Pokemon creepypasta that floats around 4chan.

Mr. Sam

Soru said:
Was waiting for that, but even if that story was true in the slightest then it wouldn't be possible to hear on youtube as all the first edition cartridges would be insanely rare.

Still a damn sad and creepy theme though, ain't it? But I seriously doubt it's anything above your entry level pokemyth.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Soru said:
Was waiting for that, but even if that story was true in the slightest then it wouldn't be possible to hear on youtube as all the first edition cartridges would be insanely rare.
It's about as true as the brown note.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
AzureJericho said:
It's one part IVs on my bro's part (I'm convinced) and one part playing before I really sat down and thought about the finer things. I picked his team apart in a battle a bit earlier with a "in progress" move pool with said Serperior, but now I'm going back to the lab and thinking about different coverages I can play with. Honestly though this guy, as much as I pretty much never part with my starter, is going to get replaced once that Dream World Snivy (and later, Serperior) gets in my hands. 2x power boost from Leaf Storm thanks to that ability Perversity? Hell yes, you are now my favorite special blitzing grass 'mon ever! :lol

Fun stuff aside, I just found out that my Eelektross' speed stat is not only woefully lacking, but I can't influence them with Carbos. What should I do to fix? Also for reference:

Level 71

Female - Naughty nature

HP 219
ATK 214
DEF 136
SP. ATK 171
SP. DEF 126
SPEED 107

Looks like you need a primer on Effort Values (EVs).

With every Pokemon, you have 510 EVs to spread around, and a maximum of 255 per stat. Every 4 EVs will add one point to whatever stat it is applied to, so really, the most you'd want to add to a single stat is 252 EVs.

With vitamins, like Carbos, they will only work up to 100 EVs. ie; I take a freshly hatched Pokemon and pump it filled with 10 Carbos. If I try to add an 11th Carbo, it will say it will have no effect. Or, if you have been battling and have filled up your EVs past 100 in that manner, you still will not be able to add to it with vitamins. You probably don't know what's been applied to your Eelektross, but it's definitely over the limit speed wise.

Just as note on Eelektross too, you definitely want to make it bulky, in my opinion. It has pretty low speed, as you've no doubt found, and it would benefit from focusing on one attack (physical, or special) while pumping up its HPs. Since nothing can hit it Super Effectively except for Mold Breaker Earthquakes, Gravity, etc.. it can be tough to take down.

There's not much you can do for the EVs right now. There are berries that will be coming from 'Dream World' later to reduce EVs, but it might be in your best interest to EV train a new one.

Otherwise, just keep playing with the one you have and have fun. EV training and IV breeding are for more of the OCD crowd. Even if you find it's not for you, it can help to pay attention to what you're fighting and it'll give you a generally sense of where you'll be applying EVs.

I do want to breed an Eelektross soon. If you want one of the off springs, I'll be happy to send it over.

AzureJericho said:
Wat. Watwat. Watwatwat?

Camping at the moat, brb.

Edit: That's another thing I forgot about this game's music, every time I hear the theme used for places like Dragonspiral Tower, I want to play A Link to The Past. It sounds just like the light world dungeon theme in places. :lol

I shat bricks when i encountered tyranitar in shaking grass expecting to find an audino

Andrefpvs

D-Pad said:
Mandibuzz and Leftovers w/ Roost, Taunt, Flatter and whatever.

Pawniard w/ Nightslash, Swords Dance, Metal Sound, whatever. Give it an item that raises critical hit percentage.

You don't need any other Pokemon except maybe Haxorus and/or Hydreigon.

At least that's what I learned from battling there. >:\

Thanks! What's the strategy for Mandibuzz? Isn't it a bit risky if the opponent hits you with a special attack after you use Flatter on them?

Gravijah

Is there a Pokedex that contains all the various cries throughout the generations? I want to compare some of the cries that were changed a bit throughout the generations.

Mr. Sam said:
Still a damn sad and creepy theme though, ain't it? But I seriously doubt it's anything above your entry level pokemyth.

Lol ye, I don't tend to believe any of the creepy pastas that float around. It was an entertaining read though, because I remember getting freaked out as a kid all those years ago when I had pokemon blue for my bday. Seeing the ghost sprite for the first time also made my heart race like crazy.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
Is there a Pokedex that contains all the various cries throughout the generations? I want to compare some of the cries that were changed a bit throughout the generations.
Cries got changed? Other than the Yellow Pikachu I was under the impression that it's the one thing that remained the same over the Generations.

I use veekun to listen to the cries.

Gravijah

Izayoi said:
Cries got changed? Other than the Yellow Pikachu I was under the impression that it's the one thing that remained the same over the Generations.

Not anything major, just small changes. I think Magnemite is one of them.

Azure J

EvilMario - That was a really helpful post. I had enough of a foothold and loose understanding in how EVs/IVs worked and wanted to try doing some quirky things, but your comments on what I should most try for made me rethink and realize that I like Eelektross as it is. It's just that running a team (so far) where everything barring Serperior and Hydregion can't get that initial jump on equally leveled Pokemon was making me wonder if I needed to speed some of them up.

DoomXploder - Seriously, this is my favorite gen now. I've always wanted to play a version/gen where seemingly big time things like that can be encountered.
If only you could run into starters/evolved starters though /raised initially with the show ad wants to be able to go through the world just literally catching 'em all

TheOGB - Agreed (if we're talking just this gen however). What's funny though is that I could have really found myself liking Darmanitan a looot, if it weren't such a glass cannon. It's defensives were really scary bad for me. Sure it always fired first, but I'd rather not take the chance and be in the middle of something that either totally walls it without me knowing firsthand or has massive revenge KO potential.

Wiseblade

Holy Order Sol said:
I just realized that I was going to need like over 100BP in HG, too. Yeah, Ludicolo is going to be a major pain in the ass.
Why not just do it in B/W? There's no real reason to run Seed bomb over Energy Ball/Grass knot IMO.

Wiseblade said:
Why not just do it in B/W? There's no real reason to run Seed bomb over Energy Ball/Grass knot IMO.

I need Seed Bomb because I'm actually going for a physical set with Swords Dance. The other tutor move I need is Ice Punch.

D-Pad

Andrefpvs said:
Thanks! What's the strategy for Mandibuzz? Isn't it a bit risky if the opponent hits you with a special attack after you use Flatter on them?
Well, I was half joking, as those are the Pokemon I've always had trouble with in the Battle Subway, so please don't take it seriously.:p

With Mandibuzz, I just remembered it's other move: Toxic. Basically it's a poison tank (I guess, I don't know these terms). It'd start with Toxic, and will try to prevent you from attacking it with Flatter (also causing yourself damage). It'll taunt to prevent you from healing and will roost constantly to heal itself until you are dead.

And sorry, I meant Bisharp. I'm still bad with the names.

Night Slash may land critical hits, and it hurts because of Bisharp's high attack. Metal Sound to lowers your defense on top of that, and Gullotine got lucky on me. :\ I don't know if that's the Subway effect or not though. You may want to breed it Psycho Cut to take out fighting-type. Rock Tomb to bring down fire-type.

JVIDICAN

Finally had an opportunity to use Substitute/calm mind combo with Chandelure. Felt good man. The guy ended up forfeiting when certain death became apparent but still. :p

Articalys

JVIDICAN said:
Finally had an opportunity to use Substitute/calm mind combo with Chandelure. Felt good man. The guy ended up forfeiting when certain death became apparent but still. :p
See, this is part of the metagame strategy I don't understand -- wouldn't the substitute get broken in the same turn it was sent out if your opponent attacked you?

JVIDICAN

Articalys said:
See, this is part of the metagame strategy I don't understand -- wouldn't the substitute get broken in the same turn it was sent out if your opponent attacked you?
Not if the Pokemon your opponent sends out is meant to be a purely defensive wall. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom