• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Articalys said:
See, this is part of the metagame strategy I don't understand -- wouldn't the substitute get broken in the same turn it was sent out if your opponent attacked you?

not everything has the attack power to break a sub. its all about strategy .

Articalys

DoomXploder7 said:
not everything has the attack power to break a sub. its all about strategy .
So you would only bring out a substitute combo in a situation where you know your opponent wouldn't be able to react to it swiftly enough?

JVIDICAN

Articalys said:
So you would only bring out a substitute combo in a situation where you know your opponent wouldn't be able to react to it swiftly enough?
Usually yes, and once it's set up (at least in chandelures case) you have a +6 special attack sweeper spamming flamethrower and shadow ball. >:D

Or if you know they won't attack that turn.
This too. God do I love it when people use dig and fly online! <3

Articalys

JVIDICAN said:
Usually yes, and once it's set up (at least in chandelures case) you have a +6 special attack sweeper spamming flamethrower and shadow ball. >:D
How can you hold someone off for six turns with just one or two substitutes? Unless the guy you're facing really has no way to counter it, I'd assume they'd try to interrupt it ASAP...

Articalys said:

You can use subs more reliably when you know exactly what to expect from the opposing pokémon. Say I have Vaporeon ready to use Substitute, and I know that the other Pokémon has no stat boosts in play or super effective moves against water, I can confidently go for a Sub and expect it to take at least one hit before vanishing, because Vaporeon is so bulky in the first place. Overall you basically need to know what's capable of hitting hard and what isn't, and that can more difficult when dealing with more versatile Pokémon.

Wiseblade

Articalys said:
How can you hold someone off for six turns with just one or two substitutes? Unless the guy you're facing really has no way to counter it, I'd assume they'd try to interrupt it ASAP...
Chandelure will usually be using Calm mind once it has set up a substitute, which increases its SDef, making the sub harder to break.

There are also pokemon who use subs to pretend that they have a bit of bulk. It's one of my favourite things to do with Jolteon. Get in on something it scares the living daylights out of, sub on the switch and and then murder everything. If something actually comes in that Jolt can't touch, Baton Pass to something that can, effectively giving them a free switch in.

JVIDICAN

Articalys said:
Have another Poke Double screen your team before the substituter is sent out, and the added S.defense boost of calm mind helps too.

Articalys

Aah, maybe I should just try to find some example high level teams and look them over to see how all this kind of synergy works... is there anywhere online with something like that?

D-Pad

Izayoi said:
This was posted in the art thread, by the way.

http://www.pokemontcg.com/tc

Very easy (even on "hard"), but a good way to learn the TCG.

I clicked to view the opponent's cards, and now I can't seem to get back to my hand to attack...

edot- looks like I'm gonna have to forfeit... And by forfeit I mean refresh the page :D

TheOGB

Banned
AzureJericho said:
TheOGB - Agreed (if we're talking just this gen however). What's funny though is that I could have really found myself liking Darmanitan a looot, if it weren't such a glass cannon. It's defensives were really scary bad for me. Sure it always fired first, but I'd rather not take the chance and be in the middle of something that either totally walls it without me knowing firsthand or has massive revenge KO potential.
Yeah, even Zebstrika seems like that.
That's who I've been using for fire-type moves since the 2nd gym :p

Man, this egg needs to hatch soon. So many water types and there's not enough room for THUNDERHORSE. :(

Articalys said:
Aah, maybe I should just try to find some example high level teams and look them over to see how all this kind of synergy works... is there anywhere online with something like that?

You can check smogon for tutorials about team building and detailed analysis for each Pokémon.

Izayoi

Banned
D-Pad said:
I clicked to view the opponent's cards, and now I can't seem to get back to my hand to attack...

edot- looks like I'm gonna have to forfeit... And by forfeit I mean refresh the page :D
Click empty space to back out of viewing.

Also, I would recommend turning off animation in the option menu. Helps speed things up.

Articalys said:
The crazy part for me happened when I saw Buizel whirling its tail, and it sunk in that all 400+ of the previous Pokemon now had idle animations. That's a pretty nice bit of work from GF.
Wait. Do the old pokes have continuous animations like in B/W or are they just static images?

If I give my pokemon a power item to hold, and i send it out to fight a wild pokemon but then decide to switch it out, does that pokemon holding the power item get the EV+power item boost or does it get the EV it would normally get without the power item?

Quacking

JVIDICAN said:
Not that I recall..
Why do you need to know? :p
Ahah I'm just curious of how much tries I spent for get a shiny pokémon with the masuda method... Still anything and over 10 box full of Tepig. :(

The nice thing is that I can give them over the GTS and alot of people take them, lol.

Articalys said:
What's the general metagame stance on the tradeoff of accuracy for power?

its a pokemon by pokemon basis . some pokemon can't afford to miss ,etc. most pokemon are better off using the higher accuracy and close to 90/100 atk moves like thunderbolt,flamethrower, surf etc.

Izayoi

Banned
Delio said:
Wow getting smoked by this Fire Deck. Flareon is a beast when it can keep using Flamethrower XD
Yeah, I lost first place at a pre-release to some girl who kept powering her Faleron through Flamethrower.

In any case, no search cards is doubly frustrating when it seems like your opponent's decks are stacked with them. C'mon TPCi.

ryan-ts

JVIDICAN said:
Where did you find those 2? :eek:
I need to start catching pokes again..

Scizor is not catchable, but Kingdra is catchable by the water (you need to use the super rod on the black spots in the water) besides the P2 Labratory.

edit: Milotic is next....muahaha

Zomba13

JVIDICAN said:
Not that I recall..
Really? What stalkers. lol.
Whats worse was the first TV I checked after getting my Pokédex and starter was talking about me o.o
Why would they know about me when I've not done anything yet o.o

Articalys said:
What's the general metagame stance on the tradeoff of accuracy for power?

Depends on how much difference we're talking about. Surf is generally picked over Hydro Pump though there are exceptions like Choice Specs sets.
Now Stone Edge... is often a necessary evil.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Someone explain to me: how is anyone here completing the Unova dex when there are several event-tied pokemon that are impossible to (legitimately) get yet? Unless those count as part of the national dex?

Tathanen said:
Someone explain to me: how is anyone here completing the Unova dex when there are several event-tied pokemon that are impossible to (legitimately) get yet? Unless those count as part of the national dex?
event pokemon technically don't count. >>

Jokey665

Just hatched a Drillbur that's got awesome stats

Adamant
Sand Rush
HP 30-31
ATK 30-31
DEF 26-27
SPA 30-31
SPD 30-31
SPE 20-21

The rest of them are more mediocre but I still have 6 left to check the IVs on

Izayoi

Banned
Lol @ the girl who gets all depressed when you beat her, and the chick who gives you the puppy dog "why are you hitting me, stop hitting me please, please stop" eyes when you're down to a handful of prize cards. NO MERCY, TPCi. YOU CAN'T TRICK ME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom