• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
AzureJericho said:
Fuck Haxorus, seriously. Blasted thing constantly out speeds me when my brother and I do IR quick battles. How that's possible when I have a Hydregion, Serperior, Volcarona and Dragonite on this team currently is beyond me. :(

Dragonite does have lower base speed. Hydreigon only has one point over Haxorus. The rest are indeed supposed to be faster but you're probably being screwed by bad IV and/or different EV spread. Also yeah, Scarf.

Murkas

Fucking hell, I barely took 3 steps outside the Day care centre and I get called back because they already produced an egg.

Ditto, you slut!

Azure J

Holy Order Sol - Damn, I figured as much... Looks like I might have to just get down with the madness and start minding IVs/EVs

jman - I agree.

Also, Shauntal > Caitlin. :p

Andrex said:
Holy f*** the PC box in HG/SS is sooooooooooooo much faster and smoother. Jeeze.

that HG/SS team was just something else compared to the B/W team it appears i refuse to believe its the same people

and if it wasn't for that large bow around her neck i'd love shauntal's design

Azure J

Gravijah said:
When she's reading from her book, I noticed that the lines are different each time. I wonder how many different lines there are.

There's a good bunch, I was actually kinda surprised to see her mention Red and Volkner in two different rematches.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The only real drawback with going back and playing HG/SS is the text speed. Everything else is about on par or better, engine and menu wise I'd say.

Articalys

Andrex said:
Holy f*** the PC box in HG/SS is sooooooooooooo much faster and smoother. Jeeze.
Have you tried pressing select then the party tab?
Though I agree that entering/exiting the PC interface seems slower.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
AzureJericho said:
Fuck Haxorus, seriously. Blasted thing constantly out speeds me when my brother and I do IR quick battles. How that's possible when I have a Hydregion, Serperior, Volcarona and Dragonite on this team currently is beyond me. :(

Outspeeding Serperior? Terrible nature, or IVs? Or Choice Scarf. Or did it Dragon Dance? Pick up a Skarmory if you really want to 'wall it'. Excadrill can outspeed and OHKO it in Sand. Ferrothorn can switch in, survive a +2 Earthquake and OHKO it with Gyro Ball. Cloyster can switch in, surviving a hit, and fire off Ice Shard.

Maybe Shedinja is what you need. ;)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Articalys said:
Have you tried pressing select then the party tab?
Though I agree that entering/exiting the PC interface seems slower.

I was mostly talking about switching boxes, too. And also it's a lot more touch friendly.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Picked up my Garchomp + False Swipe, Bronzong with Hypnosis and Confuse Ray, and my Golurk and Beartic to Fly and Surf, and I'm off to go on a catching spree.

Right now I'm trolling the grass near Pinwheel Forest for Sawk. :D

EDIT: Got it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I just noticed Arcanine receives Close Combat now? Wild Charge really helps physical sets as well. Oh dear.. so powerful. And I'm not even a fan of the Pokemon.

edit: Flare Boost. Interesting ability. Only Drifblim's line receives it (and through Dream World at that). Increases SpAtk when burned.

Articalys said:
Is this also sort of a testament to Leftovers? I never thought that 1/16th per turn was that much of a difference, but in online battles where things can drag on I guess it's more helpful.

Yeah, Leftovers has basically been a staple in competitive battling since it was introduced.

Articalys

Holy Order Sol said:
Yeah, Leftovers has basically been a staple in competitive battling since it was introduced.
I had only just returned to the series about a year ago and I almost never play PvP, so I don't understand the first thing about the strategy differences from single player. The only thing I remember hearing about was how the move "Stealth Rock" had single-handedly reshaped tiers.

Articalys said:
I had only just returned to the series about a year ago and I almost never play PvP, so I don't understand the first thing about the strategy differences from single player. The only thing I remember hearing about was how the move "Stealth Rock" had single-handedly reshaped tiers.

Leftovers is an amazing item that has plenty of uses. It helps with sandstorms as you've just seen, is generally a key to stalling, and allows a form of (limited) recovery for Pokémon that don't have access to recovery moves. It also makes the use of Substitute much more viable. Due to the current variety of items and available resources when it comes to strategy these I don't think people do that anymore, but there was a time when you would just slap Leftovers on a Pokémon when you didn't know what to use.

Holy Order Sol said:
Due to the current variety of items and available resources when it comes to strategy these I don't think people do that anymore, but there was a time when you would just slap Leftovers on a Pokémon when you didn't know what to use.

yeah except when item clause is in play.

Articalys

Holy Order Sol said:
Leftovers is an amazing item that has plenty of uses. It helps with sandstorms as you've just seen, is generally a key to stalling, and allows a form of (limited) recovery for Pokémon that don't have access to recovery moves. It also makes the use of Substitute much more viable. Due to the current variety of items and available resources when it comes to strategy these I don't think people do that anymore, but there was a time when you would just slap Leftovers on a Pokémon when you didn't know what to use.
My bigger problem is that, due to playing solo for so long, my worldview of strategy is limited to match type advantage, maybe a few buffs here and there, paralyze or sleep the enemy, then apply brute force. Trying that on wifi would get my ass kicked up and down the Skyarrow Bridge. I'm not sure what Satoshi Tajiri's original intent was for strategy between players, but nowadays it's become as intensely scrutinized as fighting games like MvC3. If you go online and want to seriously play to win, you need to know every intricacy of the system, having meticulously raised your warriors from birth and carefully selected all 24 attacks you're bringing into battle, among other things. It's all become so technical compared to the game's presentation that I don't know if I can bring up the energy to get involved with it, and I feel bad since playing against others is supposed to be half the appeal of Pokemon.

D-Pad

Gravijah said:
Anyone else kinda hate Politoed? Especially compared to the amazing Poliwrath?
0euLu.png

No.

Though I never ever had one.

Gravijah said:
Anyone else kinda hate Politoed? Especially compared to the amazing Poliwrath?

With regards to design, I think Politoed is much better than Poliwrath. Poliwrath is just an angry Poliwhirl.

Move-wise, I guess Poliwrath has more options, right? What with it being Fighting type.

Hey PokeGaf. I need your opinions on the EV spread I'm gonna give my Volcarona
4HP/252SpA/252Spd
I'm not sure if I should give some EV's to Volcarona's Special defense, instead of HP

Wiseblade

Gravijah said:
Anyone else kinda hate Poliwrath? Especially compared to the amazing Politoed?

Fixed.

mazeedibeedi said:
Hey PokeGaf. I need your opinions on the EV spread I'm gonna give my Volcarona
4HP/252SpA/252Spd
I'm not sure if I should give some EV's to Volcarona's Special defense, instead of HP
Apparently the optimal spread in 252 S.Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Def.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom