• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this is worse than I thought... Guys, I'm going back to Gen THREE breeding.

Doc+Brown.jpg

OMG Aero

I don't suppose anyone knows any good EV spreads for Volcarona?
After getting my ass kicked in the Battle Subway I think it's about time I start using EV trained Pokemon and just managed to hatch a Larvesta with 31 IVs in HP, special attack and Speed which seems good to me.
I've only ever followed Smogon's guides before and since you apparently need to register to view their forums now, I can't see what they suggest for Volcarona. I was thinking of putting all the EVs in special attack and speed, but I'm not sure if I should split some of that up and maybe put points in either of the defences or HP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Broken Ska Record said:
It's not a matter of having a female rival, but having the other Protagonist be the other rival. It's just a small disappointment, nothing big.

You fight alongside her on the Battle Subway Doubles and Super Doubles line.

Wiseblade

OMG Aero said:
After getting my ass kicked in the Battle Subway I think it's about time I start using EV trained Pokemon and just managed to hatch a Larvesta with 31 IVs in HP, special attack and Speed which seems good to me.
I've only ever followed Smogon's guides before and since you apparently need to register to view their forums now, I can't see what they suggest for Volcarona. I was thinking of putting all the EVs in special attack and speed, but I'm not sure if I should split some of that up and maybe put points in either of the defences or HP.

S252 SAtk, 252 Speed, 4 Def is the optimal spread I believe.

DMG-01

After hours of SRing, I settled on:

Terrakion Jolly
HP: 16-17
Atk: 16-18
Def: 20-21
SpA: 6-8
SpD: 9-10
Spe: 31

I figured that speed was the most important stat and that the other ones were acceptable enough because I didn't want to SR for another couple hours for another Jolly with 31 Spe.

OMG Aero said:
I run 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP to decent success. I haven't used him much though, so I'm not too sure how good he is.

Soule

So been playing a lot, just enjoying myself then I come into this thread... I feel like such a rookie haha I haven't proper played pokemon since Gen 1 and it seems everything is soooo much deeper than before. I played either diamond/pearl a bit but never really sunk my teeth in but yeah, wow, shit is deep gonna do a bit more research once I've downed the elite 4 but so close right now I just wanna get that done.

D-Pad

My precious EV training location guide... Almost lost it, refreshing Smogon to see what OMG Aero was talking about. Luckily, I managed to copy the information from the forum post I was viewing before the page reloaded, due to my slow internet connection. XD

Pasted in Word. Saved forver.

Ondore

Poke-GAF, I come with a tech support request or at least to make sure I'm not crazy.

I started playing White, then switched it to a backup DS a couple of days ago and running through on Black on my main system. I realized on Wednesday that my clock was off by an hour because of DST, so I made the correction.

I know this would prevent daily events for a day, but I haven't had a swarm, the Riches available, or the Route 13 treasure guy give me anything since.

Should I just switch it back to the main DS and see if that fixes it?

Gravijah

Ondore said:
Poke-GAF, I come with a tech support request or at least to make sure I'm not crazy.

I started playing White, then switched it to a backup DS a couple of days ago and running through on Black on my main system. I realized on Wednesday that my clock was off by an hour because of DST, so I made the correction.

I know this would prevent daily events for a day, but I haven't had a swarm, the Riches available, or the Route 13 treasure guy give me anything since.

Did you transfer your WiFi settings and stuff over to the new DS? I wonder if that would affect it.

Red

Gravijah said:
Did you transfer your WiFi settings and stuff over to the new DS? I wonder if that would affect it.
I had a similar thing happen to me and didn't run into any of those problems.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ondore said:

Same thing kinda happened to me. All the daily events work except for the guy giving out musical items. Which is annoying since that's a trainer star.

Harpuia

Quick question. If I give a pokemon with pokerus a power brace, and I ko a pokemon that gives 1 attack ev, I will receive 10 attack evs in total right?

EDIT: Another question, EVs received by EXP share will also be doubled by pokerus right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Harpuia said:
Quick question. If I give a pokemon with pokerus a power brace, and I ko a pokemon that gives 1 attack ev, I will receive 10 attack evs in total right?

Yup.

Fewr

Igor Antunov said:
Pokemon white is my first pokemanz game. It's decent, the formula seems a little shallow though.
????
In my opinion, pokemon is everything BUT shallow. Wait until you see competitive battles, and the behind the curtains stuff.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
There is nothing sweeter than hitting a Blissey on the Battle Subway with Outrage and watching its HP slowly dwindle down from 100% to 0.

Fewr

Holy Order Sol said:
don't you know blatant trolling when you see it

mouse.gif

By the way, a quick question about Castelia city. In the building where someone's hosting an international people party, what does the person who speaks in german say?

OMG Aero

Andrex said:
There is nothing sweeter than hitting a Blissey on the Battle Subway with Outrage and watching its HP slowly dwindle down from 100% to 0.
Does Blissey's health bar still take forever to empty in this game?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OMG Aero said:
Does Blissey's health bar still take forever to empty in this game?

Not as long as before but it's still noticeably slower than other Pokemon. But that makes it satisfying.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Harpuia said:
I need halp. Man I must be annoying. :p

Yeah.

"If a Pokémon holds an Exp. Share, it will receive effort points even if the battling Pokémon has maxed out its effort points. If the Pokémon with the Exp. Share has Pokérus, the amount of effort points received is doubled." -Bulbapedia

Ketch

So I just picked up the Black version with my 3DS. First pokemon game/DS console... I added my name to the friend codes list, but if anyone wants to add me we could like C-link or something... I don't know. POKEMON!

FC: 4725-7950-8499
Screen name: Ketch

PM me so I know to add you to. =)

D-Pad

Harpuia said:
I need halp. Man I must be annoying. :p
Nah. That's what this thread is for. :)

Sigh, I might have to drop out of the tourny. While I've enjoyed two weeks of Pokemon I'm gonna have to start cracking down on other things... A shame, too. I was really looking forward to it. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Aww man the 3DS friend code sheet overtook ours. :(

On the plus size, we now have over 100 American players. (150 total.)

MrMephistoX said:
Just got the last copy at best buy with my 3DS. Nice to see Game Freak put in a lot of effort on this one.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

7Th

As much as I'm enjoying the game, I still think EV training is one of the most tedious leveling-up systems in the history of JRPGs.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
7Th said:
As much as I'm enjoying the game, I still think EV training is one of the most tedious leveling-up systems in the history of JRPGs.

It's not really a part of the normal gameplay, though. It's like complaining about the people that pick apart the RNG in another RPG game just to get 100% accurate attacks.

DMG-01 said:
Also, after you get 21 wins on the subway, there's an NPC that will give you a PP Up. I think it's an elderly woman, but I can't remember. Note: I've only tested it on the easy doubles line, but it should work on all of them I'd think.
Random trainers in the Nimbasa stadiums will give PP-ups after defeating them. One of them (Veteran Sayuri) will even give you a PP Max.

Fewr

hypersheep said:
Random trainers in the Nimbasa stadiums will give PP-ups after defeating them. One of them (Veteran Sayuri) will even give you a PP Max.
Everyday, the challenge rock can be hit to get a star piece. This weekend I took the subway to Anville Town and traded star pieces for PP Ups.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Andrex said:
Andrex Tip #2: Break off a Star Piece from the Challenge Rock to the east of Pinwheel Forest every day. Then on the weekends trade them to the guy in Anville Town for PP Ups.

;)

I fully understand EV training and all the other intricate details but 90% of the time I don't bother unless I have nothing else to play at the time, so I agree that it's pretty nitpicky to complain about that system as it's not even part of the main game. But it is a little much for what it is. Not terrible but not gooood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom