• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
hypersheep said:
Level 54 Hydreigon feeds on your tears!

What is it with the damn dragons. Lance started a trend, and every dragon trainer after him has followed it. (His three dragonites are the hardest part of the round 1 elite four in HG/SS)

Roto13

shaowebb said:
Please sir may I have an eevee? I need to put the fear into the cheatin Elite 4.

My friend code is

4384 1310 2842

whats yours?
Mine's number 53 on the list. I'll add you when I'm finished with JVIDCAN.

shaowebb

Okay I'm loggin in. I got a female duosion and some stuff in my box I could throw at you.

EDIT: Hmm for some reason no one is in the trade room when I seek participants.

Nope friend code is correct.

Roto13

JVIDICAN said:
Thanks Roto!
Thank you for the Spiritomb. :)

shaowebb said:
Okay I'm loggin in. I got a female duosion and some stuff in my box I could throw at you.

EDIT: Hmm for some reason no one is in the trade room when I seek participants.

Nope friend code is correct.
Hmm, let me leave and see if I put your code in right.

EDIT: Wow. My reply was ten minutes late. :p

EDIT 2: Yup. Your friend code is right in my list, too. Unless you typed it wrong. Double check your post?

shaowebb

Roto13 said:
Thank you for the Spiritomb. :)

Hmm, let me leave and see if I put your code in right.

EDIT: Wow. My reply was ten minutes late. :p

EDIT 2: Yup. Your friend code is right in my list, too. Unless you typed it wrong. Double check your post?

im still here. I'll leave and check my pal pad though

shaowebb

4384 1310 2842 is me friend code and I have no idea what its doin today

SHIT!
I see what happened. You're code isn't the one I entered. I entered the one listed below yours!

For people who wifi trade a lot, is there any way to trade multiple monsters at once? They allow you to pick up to 3 to trade. Initially I thought that meant you could do a 3 for 3 trade, but it seems it's more like "Pick one of the 3 pokemon you friend is offering and he'll do the same, then you agree on the exchange"

Wiseblade

xSL4INx said:
I suppose speed boost helps him out, but he is in general outclassed by Infernape.

Besides, OU staples like Gyarados and
Garchomp (lol)
with speed based natures still outspeed a +1 speed boost Blaziken.

Wait, what? 284 + 1.5 = 426. That's faster than Base 130s, let alone Garchomp. Gyarados needs a DD boost to outspeed and has no hope of catching up if he switches in.

My main issue is that it feels like The Smogon tiering system seems destined to take out everything fun from the game...

Roto13

shaowebb said:
4384 1310 2842 is me friend code and I have no idea what its doin today

SHIT!
I see what happened. You're code isn't the one I entered. I entered the one listed below yours!
Blargh. Leave and come back one more time.

Wiseblade said:
Wait, what? 284 + 1.5 = 426. That's faster than Base 130s, let alone Garchomp. Gyarados needs a DD boost to outspeed and has no hope of catching up if he switches in.

My main issue is that it feels like The Smogon tiering system seems destined to take out everything fun from the game...

I realize that the simulators have allowed for some development in the metagame and actual results but are the latest bans (Drizzle + Swim Swift and now Blaziken) even based on that, or is it some kind of preemptive measure?

JVIDICAN

Wiseblade said:

Lol. Lets create the Neogaf tiering system! :D
It would be nice to have our own rules for tourneys we host. :p

jman2050

Wiseblade said:

Scarfchomp outspeeds a +1 boost, though of course that doesn't take into account switch-ins which is another ballgame altogether.

I wonder if a Conkeldurr could counter with Guts-boosted mach punch. As far as I can tell Blaziken needs an SD to OHKO him with Brave Bird, much less anything else he has.

Wiseblade

Holy Order Sol said:
I realize that the simulators have allowed for some development in the metagame and actual results but are the latest bans (Drizzle + Swim Swift and now Blaziken) even based on that, or is it some kind of preemptive measure?

Yeah, they're based on Pokémon Online. I only played a little when Gen V was first supported so pretty much all of my OU knoweledge is theorymon but I still hate that things are getting banned before I get to use them ingame.

Drizzle + Swift Swim really annoys me. Are Kingdra/Ludicolo/Kabutops that hard to stop? Empoleon Walls kingdra and Ludicolo for days, while Toxicroak kills all three with his hands tied behind his back. The ban basically killed all my motivation to try a rain team this gen. Playing Rain Dance was HARD in gen IV and is only hard with Drought Ninetales, Sand Rush and even more priority users to spoil the fun.

jman2050 said:
Scarfchomp outspeeds a +1 boost, though of course that doesn't take into account switch-ins which is another ballgame altogether.

I wonder if a Conkeldurr could counter with Guts-boosted mach punch. As far as I can tell Blaziken needs an SD to OHKO him with Brave Bird, much less anything else he has.

Oops, I forgot that Scarf Chomp is the standard set now. But from a lazy damage calc I see that Guts boosted Mach punch from a 252 Atk adamant Conkeldurr with 2HKO Blaziken. I wouldn't be surprised if +2 Hi Jump Kick OHKO'd though.

Wiseblade said:
The ban basically killed all my motivation to try a rain team this gen. Playing Rain Dance was HARD in gen IV and is only hard with Drought Ninetales, Sand Rush and even more priority users to spoil the fun.

Yeah, I only played Rain Dance at the end of Gen IV (most of it was spent playing Sandstorm... why do you think I like Empoleon lol) but there were already so many ways you could be screwed. I'll stick with the playstyle for a while though since it's a nice change of pace and I'm pretty close to replicating in-game the team I used online anyway , but the new threats are definitely going to require adjustments. Ferrothorn especially causes all sorts of problems both offensively and defensively.

jman2050

Does Smogon not like trick room teams or something? Cause that's basically a built-in check to all these speed-based shenanigans.

Wiseblade said:
Drizzle + Swift Swim really annoys me. Are Kingdra/Ludicolo/Kabutops that hard to stop? Empoleon Walls kingdra and Ludicolo for days, while Toxicroak kills all three with his hands tied behind his back. The ban basically killed all my motivation to try a rain team this gen. Playing Rain Dance was HARD in gen IV and is only hard with Drought Ninetales, Sand Rush and even more priority users to spoil the fun.

Drizzle + Swift Swim makes a mockery of sandstorm/stall teams so naturally Smogon would instantly whine and cry about it.

Roto13

Ok, so I've looked ahead in the Pokedex and I've figured out that I will only need to trade for three more Pokemon. The rest I can get myself. They are

Cranidos/Rampardos
Skorupi/Drapion
Carnivine

So those are what I'm looking for. If anyone has a spare or can breed something from the above list for me, I have almost every other Pokemon and can breed something for you in return.

I will also have to trade my Rhydon to evolve it, even though I said I was finished with trade evos, but apparently I missed that one. Oops. :p

Wiseblade

jman2050 said:
Does Smogon not like trick room teams or something? Cause that's basically a built-in check to all these speed-based shenanigans.
Trick room's kind of tricky to pull off in singles since it doesn't last very long and that no way to extend it like you can with weather and Reflect/Light Screen. Priority moves like Quick Attack and ExtremeSpeed still beat you to the punch eiher way. Not to mention Reuniclus, possibly the best exploiter of TR in singles, was a suspect for the last vote.

Trick Room is war more viable in Doubles, where it's feasible to kill the opposing team before you use up your five turns.

jman2050 said:
Drizzle + Swift Swim makes a mockery of sandstorm/stall teams so naturally Smogon would instantly whine and cry about it.

Didn't know they had a bias toward them. I don't have an account there so I can't say anything about elitism or whatever, but even though I do read their forums I can't seem to really get a sense of people's preferences there.

Murkas

Roto13 said:
Ok, so I've looked ahead in the Pokedex and I've figured out that I will only need to trade for three more Pokemon. The rest I can get myself. They are

Cranidos/Rampardos
Skorupi/Drapion
Carnivine

So those are what I'm looking for. If anyone has a spare or can breed something from the above list for me, I have almost every other Pokemon and can breed something for you in return.

I will also have to trade my Rhydon to evolve it, even though I said I was finished with trade evos, but apparently I missed that one. Oops. :p

I can breed Carnvine and Skorupi for you if you still need them

jman2050

Holy Order Sol said:
Didn't know they had a bias toward them. I don't have an account there so I can't say anything about elitism or whatever, but even though I do read their forums I can't seem to really get a sense of people's preferences there.

I'm exaggerating of course. Really, in all seriousness, the biggest problem I have with their formalized process is that the only people allowed to vote on these things are the top players in their ladder.

Roto13

Murkas said:
I also have a Cranidos that I overlooked :p,

I'll have a spiritomb if you have that/can be bred and GEN V Black exlusive pokemon.
I can breed those. :p I'll get right on it. Any particular Black exclusives or will any do?

Murkas

Roto13 said:
I can breed those. :p I'll get right on it. Any particular Black exclusives or will any do?

Just one's I can't catch because I have white.

Gimmie 15 mins to breed/hatch them. I already have your FC

Are you guys looking up all the new Pokemon or are you just winging it when you first encounter them in battle? I got to my second battle with N (in the second gym city) and thought his Timburr was a Ground/Rock type so I switched out my Blitzle for Tepig and Rock Smashed it twice for the KO. Later found out it was Fighting. =/

I think I'm going to not look them up until after I fight them. Should make it challenging.

D-Pad

Lone_Prodigy said:
Are you guys looking up all the new Pokemon or are you just winging it when you first encounter them in battle? I got to my second battle with N (in the second gym city) and thought his Timburr was a Ground/Rock type so I switched out my Blitzle for Tepig and Rock Smashed it twice for the KO. Later found out it was Fighting. =/

I think I'm going to not look them up until after I fight them. Should make it challenging.

Winged it, or at least I did. :p It's more fun that way, imo.

Articalys

Lone_Prodigy said:

Yep, same thing as well. Made me start wishing the Pokedex would verify types just on being listed, not on capture.

Wiseblade

Lone_Prodigy said:

Educated guess the first encounter, then check Bulbapedia.

Terrakion - #639 (Jolly)
HP: 7 - 8
Att: 28 - 30
Def: 6 - 8
SpA: 11 - 15
SpD: 16 - 17
Speed: 20 - 22

Keep?

Wiseblade said:
Educated guess the first encounter, then check Bulbapedia.

Terrakion - #639 (Jolly)
HP: 7 - 8
Att: 28 - 30
Def: 6 - 8
SpA: 11 - 15
SpD: 16 - 17
Speed: 20 - 22

Keep?
Depends. How long did it take you to get that Nature/IV's?

Roto13

Murkas said:
Just one's I can't catch because I have white.

Gimmie 15 mins to breed/hatch them. I already have your FC
Hey, I'm ready whenever you are. I hope you don't mind if we trade-evo my Rhydon while we're at it.

Murkas

Roto13 said:
Hey, I'm ready whenever you are. I hope you don't mind if we trade-evo my Rhydon while we're at it.

Heading into Wifi room now, yeah don't mind trade-evo, I may also need to do one aswell.

guys i have a new dream

pokemon_shiny_charizard_encounter.png

shiny charizard.

what's good on charizard though? flamethrower, earthquake, dunno what else really. it can get solar power now, is solar beam good?

EVs and nature too. i don't really know much competitive play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom