• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soule

Rawk Hawk said:
Just picked this up the other day and am just leaving the first town. But skimming the OP and this thread, I see there are events, online games and other stuff that only lasts for certain periods of time... what are the chances of me compeltely missing something? I'm not really ready to dive into everything at once, but will this stuff happen again?
I'm not sure of all the events but I will say that one going at the moment all you have to do is connect to wi fi and then collect the mystery gift (should be a ticket or something of the like) and then you will be able to access the island where a lvl 15 Victini (legendary) is. I have no idea if you can use the ticket to board the boat after the event period is over, which I think goes for another week or so from memory, but collecting the ticket is incredibly easy and takes barely a minute of your life.

Another thing going is the online game where you get a free Eevee evolution depending on how you go. From reading the news article referring to the launch of that game it makes no reference to any time period that it will be going for so I guess it's indefinite.

As far as these kind of events go I'd recommend taking the opportunities now, I don't really know if these specific events will happen again but they're not very time consuming and they don't require you to be very far into the game at all so if this is the only chance I think you should definitely go for it asap.

Izayoi said:
Pfft. Don't you have a brick break game to be losing or something?

SHIIIT! Took me 40 minutes to finally get an Espeon.

Soule said:
I'm not sure of all the events but I will say that one going at the moment all you have to do is connect to wi fi and then collect the mystery gift (should be a ticket or something of the like) and then you will be able to access the island where a lvl 15 Victini (legendary) is. I have no idea if you can use the ticket to board the boat after the event period is over, which I think goes for another week or so from memory, but collecting the ticket is incredibly easy and takes barely a minute of your life.

Another thing going is the online game where you get a free Eevee evolution depending on how you go. From reading the news article referring to the launch of that game it makes no reference to any time period that it will be going for so I guess it's indefinite.

As far as these kind of events go I'd recommend taking the opportunities now, I don't really know if these specific events will happen again but they're not very time consuming and they don't require you to be very far into the game at all so if this is the only chance I think you should definitely go for it asap.

Once you have the ticket, you can go whenever you want, even after the event is over. :)

Jeels

I am at the second gym and this game seems restrictive as hell, even more so than previous Pokemon games. Please tell me it gets better. :(

Wiseblade

2cqf9rl.jpg
- Leonardo

aoan4g.jpg
- Raphael

2lsxzdu.jpg
- Donatello

21j0s43.jpg
- Michelangelo

15p2ycz.jpg
- Splinter

23h8xh1.jpg
- Casey Jones

Anyone got any better "casting" choices?

Roto13

JVIDICAN said:
I plan on bugging roto to trade me the 400+ i'm still missing. :p
Well, I honestly have nothing left to do in this game so I might as well breed and share the love. :p
DoomXploder7 said:
welp 9(10 if i can get an arceus) pokemon to go.
I can trade you a cloned Arceus.
Soule said:
o_O

Anyone on GAF got everything?
*raises hand*
D-Pad said:
Haha, thank you! I thought you had lost him for a second. :p
I have an extra Karrablast with Megahorn if you're looking.

Roto13 completed his Pokedex, but I don't know if he has them all or not.
Well, I've evolved some Pokemon away, but there's nothing I can't breed back.
Rawk Hawk said:
Just picked this up the other day and am just leaving the first town. But skimming the OP and this thread, I see there are events, online games and other stuff that only lasts for certain periods of time... what are the chances of me compeltely missing something? I'm not really ready to dive into everything at once, but will this stuff happen again?
You will miss Mystery Gift events. I did with HeartGold. My Pikachu-coloured Pichu is a clone. :(

Door2Dawn

Banned
TwinIonEngines said:
Axew:

Female

Mild
Electric HP

HP: 20,21
Att: 31
Def: 30,31
SpA: 12,13
SpD: 19
Speed: 30,31

Def and Speed are probably 31 rather than 30, given the parents' IVs.

Anyone want?
I'll take it..

Espada

DoomXploder7 said:
restrictive how?
He may be referring to the amount of handholding+story the game has, which is definitely more than any previous title. It seems like every 3 seconds you're either running into N, Cheren, Bianca, Team Plasma or some other location specific thing.

D-Pad

@Roto13: Did you start a new game on HG/SS yet? Do you still have your Wonder Cards?

I think creating a new save on Platinum erased mine. :(

Roto13

Erasing my save file will delete my Pokewalker data, according to the manual, and it will probably erase my wonder cards too. :( So the only DS Pokemon game I can safely restart is Pearl and who he hell wants to do that? :p
DoomXploder7 said:
ok would it be too much trouble to also get a gulpin from you? my FC is 3482 1927 1474
Sure, but I'll have to breed it first, so give me a few minutes. I'm number 53 on the list.

Espada said:
He may be referring to the amount of handholding+story the game has, which is definitely more than any previous title. It seems like every 3 seconds you're either running into N, Cheren, Bianca, Team Plasma or some other location specific thing.

You have much more freedom when it comes to battling though. The game does a better job at making more Pokémon available overall in the early areas than the previous generations.

Espada said:

oh yea, the amount of times i thought "good lord i just want to get my badge" was higher than past games.

@ roto: got laundry to put in dryer back in 10 minutes.

Rawk Hawk

Soule said:

Gotcha, so those are the two right now? I think I just felt so overwhlemed with the story mode as well as other games I'm playing right now, that maybe I thought there was a lot more going on right now. Maybe later tonight I'll pop on wifi and get my ticket, is there requirements of story progression before being able to get online?

The brick breaker game I might be able to just do over lunch at work, but since it doesn't seem to have a finished date, I will worry about that later. Thanks for the help.

Roto13

DoomXploder7 said:
oh yea, the amount of times i thought "good lord i just want to get my badge" was higher than past games.

Ok. I'm just hatching that egg now and I'll head into the wi fi room to wait for you, so come join me whenever you're ready.

EDIT: My wi fi room has four screens now. I feel like I've accomplished something.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Adamm said:
This has probably been asked before.

But i had all 151 pokemon on Red, is there any way (with many transfers) to get these to White?
No, you can't transfer pokemon from gen 2 (G/S/C) to gen 3 (R/S/E/FR/LG).

You can transfer pokemon from gen 3 (R/S/E/FR/LG) to gen 4 (D/P/Pt/HG/SS), and from gen 4 to gen 5 (B/W... for now)

What will be neat is when the inevitable R/S/E remakes occur (likely on the 3DS). Assuming they can interact with black and white (or grey, which should be able to interact with B/W I would assume), this means you'll be able to transfer your original R/S/E pokmeon to their remakes (almost certianly only after you beat the game, but still... :D)

Roto13 said:
Well, I honestly have nothing left to do in this game so I might as well breed and share the love. :p

I can trade you a cloned Arceus.

*raises hand*

Well, I've evolved some Pokemon away, but there's nothing I can't breed back.

You will miss Mystery Gift events. I did with HeartGold. My Pikachu-coloured Pichu is a clone. :(

Would you possibly be able to get me a few clones of the unobtainable legendaries?
I need Manaphy, Deoxys, and Arceus.
I don't really have any shinies and you've completed your Pokedex, so I'm not sure what I can give you. But if it's not too much trouble, getting those Pokemon would be nice.

Roto13

Inferno313 said:
Would you possibly be able to get me a few clones of the unobtainable legendaries?
I need Manaphy, Deoxys, and Arceus.
I don't really have any shinies and you've completed your Pokedex, so I'm not sure what I can give you. But if it's not too much trouble, getting those Pokemon would be nice.
Well I'm about to trade away my only spare Arceus. :p I can get more, but if you have a Gen IV game and a spare DS it might be easier for you to do it yourself, honestly.

http://gts1.ceolbox.net/pkm?cancel=4

D-Pad

Roto13 said:
Ok. I'm just hatching that egg now and I'll head into the wi fi room to wait for you, so come join me whenever you're ready.

EDIT: My wi fi room has four screens now. I feel like I've accomplished something.

Wow, and here I was thinking it was all in my head. The wi-fi room in my game keeps switching back and forth between 3 and 4 spaces.

Roto13

DoomXploder7 said:

Maybe leave the room and come back because this isn't working. :p

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So I just finished this first time! Wow, that end bit was a bit epic, and the game certainly feels more polished and refined than any of the other games, despite the lack of a few features HeartGold/SoulSilve introduced that I really like (like Pokemon following you)

Time to work on that ol' Pokedex then...

Wilsongt

7th gym beaten, as well as Dragonspiral Tower done. I have the final forms of all of my Pokemon, except Eeletrik. I'll be waiting a long time for Zap Cannon... ._. I need to level up Vanillite to help with Iris...

Does anyone have tips on finding the roaming legendaries this time? I activated Tornadeus but I haven't found him in the wild once. There's no way to track them this time, is there?

D-Pad

Inferno313 said:
Does anyone have tips on finding the roaming legendaries this time? I activated Tornadeus but I haven't found him in the wild once. There's no way to track them this time, is there?

If it's anything like Thunderous, you can check the electric billboards at the gate for routes with unusual whether. Once you reach that route it'll be storming reeeeaaaalll bad, so all you gotta do is encounter it in the grass.

IIRC, it doesn't move routes if you encounter another Pokemon, or at least it didn't for me. :p

Espada

Inferno313 said:

No, there isn't. Talk to the old lady on Route 7 (in the house) and she tells you that during certain times of the day, Tornadus/Thundurus appear in a certain part of Unova. From there, just check out the electronic bulletin boards which will tell you what route they're on.

You'll know you're on the right one when the screen darkens, and a storm starts up full blast. Simply step into the grass and get to catching.

Roto13

Inferno313 said:
There's nothing better to use your Master Ball on, by the way. :p

So... possibly a dumb question whose answer is buried in the middle of this thread...

A friend of mine stupidly tried to connect to the global link after downloading the liberty pass awhile back and got a Nintendo Wifi number for pokemon on his DS (he did this from a random WEP connection in the neighborhood).

Now when he plays it on the 3DS he gets an error message that says the ID and the settings do not match. You can transfer your id between DS' and DSI's, but right now he cant find anything that says you can do it with the 3DS.

Can he? If no one knows he can still delete the Wifi Number although he isn't sure what it will delete. Just the friend Codes? Battle records?

Thanks in advance!

meltingparappa said:
So... possibly a dumb question whose answer is buried in the middle of this thread...

A friend of mine stupidly tried to connect to the global link after downloading the liberty pass awhile back and got a Nintendo Wifi number for pokemon on his DS (he did this from a random WEP connection in the neighborhood).

Now when he plays it on the 3DS he gets an error message that says the ID and the settings do not match. You can transfer your id between DS' and DSI's, but right now he cant find anything that says you can do it with the 3DS.

Can he? If no one knows he can still delete the Wifi Number although he isn't sure what it will delete. Just the friend Codes? Battle records?

Thanks in advance!

He can, I did it on my 3DS.

Just go to the transfer wifi setting on the DS, and go to download play on the 3DS.

Rawk Hawk

Damn think I gave away my old copy of Pokemon Pearl, didn't know you could trade your stuff to the new ones.. Won't make that mistake again.

Wiseblade said:
2cqf9rl.jpg
- Leonardo

aoan4g.jpg
- Raphael

2lsxzdu.jpg
- Donatello

21j0s43.jpg
- Michelangelo

15p2ycz.jpg
- Splinter

23h8xh1.jpg
- Casey Jones

Anyone got any better "casting" choices?

Haha, I've been wanting to make a TMNT themed team since last gen now. My choices would be a shiny Blastoise as Donatello, Carracosta as Leonardo, and Torterra as Michelangelo. I was thinking Meinshao could replace Raticate as Splinter. I know it looks a bit effeminate but Raticate just looks too evil for Splinter. Good choice on Casey Jones, I never thought about that. :) For the baddies: Bisharp as Shredder, Rhyperior as Rocksteady, either Mamoswine or Emboar as Bebop, and Krookodile as Leatherhead. Can't think of anything for Krang to be honest.

Ilúvatar

Inferno313 said:

Look for the route with the giant storm on it :p

And be thankful that there is only one roamer in each game

Okay, I picked up Black yesterday. I've never been a huge fan, I played Gen 1 in 96 and didn't finish it, then never played again until Diamond, which I finished. Mostly because I had workmates playing as well, and we had a lot of fun.

Question though, is it only possible to battle over WiFi? Or is there a local option, too?

Roto13

Duane Cunningham said:
Okay, I picked up Black yesterday. I've never been a huge fan, I played Gen 1 in 96 and didn't finish it, then never played again until Diamond, which I finished. Mostly because I had workmates playing as well, and we had a lot of fun.

Question though, is it only possible to battle over WiFi? Or is there a local option, too?
You can battle locally, of course. :p

Espada

Duane Cunningham said:

The lady on the far left on top upper level of any pokemon center is the Union Club lady. From there you can do local wifi matches with anyone in range who's also in the Union Club. Also, IIRC, the C-Gear lets you do the same (but it's constantly on and eats up battery life).

NEO0MJ

Ilúvatar said:
Look for the route with the giant storm on it :p

And be thankful that there is only one roamer in each game

Question about them. Is their nature set the moment wee first see them or is it different every time we see them?

Roto13 said:
You can battle locally, of course. :p

Okay cool. My co-worker, who's a few days in already told me that she couldn't figure it out and thought it might be WiFi only, but I figured she was wrong.

EDIT: Thanks, Espada, too.

Oh, and don't laugh, but I have one other simplistic noob question that's probably been answered somewhere in the last 150 pages:

Is it still possible/feasible to Catch 'em ALL™? I mean, obviously the Gen V dex can be filled up, but if I wanted to go nuts and get all 649, can it be done? Or are there some kind of "event Pokemon" that are gone forever?

Duane Cunningham said:
Oh, and don't laugh, but I have one other simplistic noob question that's probably been answered somewhere in the last 150 pages:

Is it still possible/feasible to Catch 'em ALL™? I mean, obviously the Gen V dex can be filled up, but if I wanted to go nuts and get all 649, can it be done? Or are there some kind of "event Pokemon" that are gone forever?

at this point you'd need at the least one or two or the Gen IV games and some generosity from online folk but yea.

zoukka

Using Veekuns information, how will my Venipede learn Megahorn? It shows in Scolipede move list and level learned is blank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom