• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravijah

Green Scar said:
So, does this game have a Ralts/Nidoran/Shinx equivalent? You know, like a Pokemon you can find very very early on that isn't Normal and can be useful later on in the game. I'm talking something to be found in Routes 1/2

There are quite a few non-Normal Pokemon early on. Including a Dark type on like Route 1.

btkadams

Teknoman said:
Something i've always wondered about with humanoid pokemon: Are the "clothing" items they wear actual clothes, or just like animals in real life, they have markings/fur/shells that just resemble clothes?
i'm pretty sure they wear the clothes just like the stalk farfetch'd carries isn't actually attached to his body. they must all buy the same brand.

Woffls

So, I'm on route 9 trying to get over this patch of grass, and here's my encounter pattern while on a bike. First 23 steps are in short grass, rest is long grass. It looks like you get a break then loads at once :s

2 steps - Duosion (caught it ;D)
21 steps - Liepard (ran)
3 steps - Minccino (ran)
13 steps - Garbador & Liepard (Caught Garbador ;D)
4 steps - Garbador & Minccino (ran)
4 steps - Garbador (ran)
15 steps - Duosion x2 (ran)

Mr. Sam

My team. I'm taking it at a snail's pace, as per usual:

538.png

Throh, Level 23

517.png

Munna, Level 23

496.png

Servine, Level 24

551.png

Sandile, Level 20

507.png

Herdier, Level 21

554.png

Darumaka, Level 19

Unusually for me, basic strategy has usurped brute force. I destroyed the first three gyms, as I suppose is to be expected, and have only been troubled by N so far. I love watching Bianca break down after I rip her apart. What?

Gravijah said:
There are quite a few non-Normal Pokemon early on. Including a Dark type on like Route 1.

You mean Route 2? There's the cat dudes on Route 2, like what N has. Checking Serebii, I think I'll save my Pokeballs for Route 3. Don't fancy carrying around Ratata imitators.

Gravijah

Green Scar said:
You mean Route 2? There's the cat dudes on Route 2, like what N has. Checking Serebii, I think I'll save my Pokeballs for Route 3. Don't fancy carrying around Ratata imitators.

Yeah, the cat. Thought it was Route 1, guess it's 2.

Roto13

I want a Munna. They're in that dream forest place next to the town with the first gym, right? I wandered around there for like half an hour last night but I didn't find one. :(

Gravijah

Roto13 said:
I want a Munna. They're in that dream forest place next to the town with the first gym, right? I wandered around there for like half an hour last night but I didn't find one. :(

Look for shaking grass. Just keep running back and forth. It's basically guaranteed to be one.

Roto13

Gravijah said:
Look for shaking grass. Just keep running back and forth. It's basically guaranteed to be one.
I was only finding Audinos. :p I wasn't sure if maybe I had to go deeper into the forest or something. I'll try again, I guess.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Roto13 said:

20% chance for a Munna and 5% chance for the evolved version, I believe. You're not doing anything wrong, it's just bad luck.

Roto13

EvilMario said:
20% chance for a Munna and 5% chance for the evolved version, I believe. You're not doing anything wrong, it's just bad luck.
Ask me how long it took me to find that fish in Emerald so I could get the Regis. Go on, ask me.

Roto13

I searched for it while watching movies. I watched the first Lord of the Rings, Inglorious Basterds, and Pulp Fiction, playing Pokemon the whole time, and I never found one. I found it the next day while doing my morning bathroom business.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wiseblade said:
So none of you have noticed that you only needed to use a HM to progress once in the game?

Shame on you.
So far I've spotted three trees to cut and a stone to push.

Feels great having a Pokemon team of six without a HM Slave.

Mr. Sam

Wiseblade said:
So none of you have noticed that you only needed to use a HM to progress once in the game?

Shame on you.

Um, does that mean that I've already done it? If it does, I'm going to go dump HMs into a river by the barrel. Well, except Fly.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
My Elgyem with Psychic as a starting move is so broken...pretty much kills off everyone at this point, bar Purloin and Sandile. :D

Anyway, I've mentioned this before, but I LOVE the NPCs who hang out around training spots (the path to Pinwheel Forest, for example) and heal you for free. They're in the later dungeons as well and it really made grinding easier.

Wow this thread is moving fast

I put in a solid 8 hours yesterday, just got to the city with the 4th gym

Now, I don't usually like making grand claims when a game is so new and when I've barely put any time into it at all (and for Pokemon, 8 hours is nothing) but if the game keeps up the way it has this will undoubtedly end up being my favorite in the series. I never thought any Pokemon game could surpass Gold/Silver, but almost everything about Gen V so far is utterly fantastic.

There are so many little things that are making it so enjoyable.
Your room getting destroyed
at the very beginning after your first pokemon battle, the gateway buildings into new towns, the dynamic camera angles, the animated pokemon sprites, the freshness that comes along with having no idea which new pokemon you are going to see at any given moment, being able to reuse TMs, not needing HMs to get through the main quest, Pokemon centers and Pokemarts being in the same building, and the list could go on and on and on.

Also, some of the Pokedex entries are delightfully disturbing. My favorite so far is Yamask's...
"Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry."

I have to give a shout out to the music too. By far the best in the series up to this point. Almost every new tune I've heard so far is exceptional.

My main complaint so far is probably the text. Early in the game there is a ton of talking, and a lot of it feels cumbersome and unnecessary. Of course, I've been playing since Blue version so obviously having the basics drilled into me for the tenth time is going to make me slightly bored. The writing in general though also seems to be almost dumbed down with how simple main story points are expressed. Maybe it was just as bad in previous iterations though and I'm not remembering (probably because it's such a minor thing in the overall package)

A coupe of random questions... is there any point in having the C-Gear on if you aren't going to be walking around outside and potentially passing other people with their C-Gear activated? Seems like a total battery sink to have it on at all times, so it's weird that the game wants you to turn it on from the very second you turn on the game each time

Did anybody else have a lot of trouble figuring out the puzzle in the second gym to get to the gym leader?
All of the book clues were easy until the very final one... Move back two, left one, up two, right one, and back one. Somehow the answer ended up being talking to that girl by the bookcase in front of you, but I can't for the life of me figure out how that clue would lead somebody to talk to her. I just got frustrated trying and decided to talk to everyone in the room again, but up until then I had spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do.

Hope everyone else is enjoying it as much as I am!

Mr. Sam said:
Um, does that mean that I've already done it? If it does, I'm going to go dump HMs into a river by the barrel. Well, except Fly.

Surf? Surf's pretty cool. Decent option for a powerful Water move.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, Surf is like the #1 Water move...well, Aqua Tail and Waterfall are better for Physical Water Pokemon like Kingler and the like, but Surf is ace.

Gravijah

Green Scar said:
I'm not sure whether you disagree with me or feel I am underestimating Surf's usefulness. I'll assume the latter :D

Surf is ARMAGEDDON ITSELF. If the other HMs were as powerful as stuff like Surf (and Waterfall) no one would ever bitch about them.

Woffls

Surf is ridiculous, it's what, 95 power 100 accuracy and damages every Pokémon in play? Very powerful.

some bro in Opelucid City said:
I've heard that in another world, there's another Opelucid City that looks very futuristic. If there is a Pokémon from that world that knows the move Charge, the machine may work.
Does the Black version say this? If so, Emolga knows charge when you find it, usually, I think? Or does this mean we need a Black exclusive that knows Charge? Interested to see what this does.

Suairyu

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Why haven't you let Snivy evolve.
Evolving unless you have to is for chumps. Until a Pokémon has learnt all the moves it needs to carry itself through the main story, I don't let them evolve. I'd rather have better moves sooner than slightly better stats.

Now on the drawbridge. A new type of shaking ground! This time, birds above cause shadows on the bridge and when you touch the shadow you either get a type of feather which acts like a vitamin as a permanent stat boost, or an encounter with a rare (lol) Pokémon.

So yeay for vitamin farming!

Watch Da Birdie

You should find an Eviolite then...it's a new hold item (I think you can get one in Castelia) which boosts unevolved Pokemon's defense and sp. def by 50%.

I've heard that in another world, there's another Opelucid City that looks very futuristic. If there is a Pokémon from that world that knows the move Charge, the machine may work.
I remember hearing it's actually a Blitzle you need from the opposite version...and you just get an item for it, the Cell Battery...

A one-time use item that raises the holder's Attack one stage when hit by an Electric-type attack.

When the game came out in Japan, people thought the character who says that was Buck's (the guy from DPt) son since the character mentioned his dad's name was Back, which has a very similar katakana spelling.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I usually let my starters get their first evolution out of the way, then hold off the final evolution till they get the moves.

Wiseblade

Mr. Sam said:
There are still tons of hidden items and optional areas/quests locked behind HM obstacles, but apart from that one time with cut, you never need to use one again. In fact, I beat the elite four without even finding them all.

Wiseblade said:
There are still tons of hidden items and optional areas/quests locked behind HM obstacles, but apart from that one time with cut, you never need to use one again. In fact, I beat the elite four without even finding them all.

That's awesome and how it should be. I think the HM's should be completely used just for the exploration aspect.

Loving it so far. This is the first one I've really played since yellow. I played a little bit of HG/SS but not very much. All the little improvements in the game make it so much better.

Reading everyones comments make me realize I really don't know much about the game of pokemon. :lol

Teknoman

btkadams said:
i'm pretty sure they wear the clothes just like the stalk farfetch'd carries isn't actually attached to his body. they must all buy the same brand.

Gravijah said:
Throh made you wonder this, didn't it?

Yeah, but its always been in the back of my mind since Hitmonchan, Machamp, and Jynx. Stalk just seems like a tool any animal might use though.

Also whats with this giant dragon skeleton in the museum? Dead...Dragonite?

Watch Da Birdie

I believe one of the Pokedex entries actually mentions that Throh (or maybe it's Sawk) make their clothing out of vines...even though it doesn't look anything like vines. :X

Roto13

Gravijah said:
You jerk. :p I've been looking for one since I posted about it earlier and I just checked a guide and it says it only appears in still grass.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Since I have been distracted with other stuff, I just got the third badge. Was a cake walk.

Trade pokemons with me Gravijah!

Gravijah

Drkirby said:
Since I have been distracted with other stuff, I just got the third badge. Was a cake walk.

Trade pokemons with me Gravijah!

Do you have White or Black? If you have White we could trade some early exclusives. If not, we can just trade some stuffs for fun.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Black, so lets trade stuff for fun!

I am going to catch a pokemon real quick and nicknane it stuff

Suairyu

Banned
Roto13 said:
You jerk. :p I've been looking for one since I posted about it earlier and I just checked a guide and it says it only appears in still grass.
Gravijah said:
Oh man I'm sorry. Today is not my day!
Ahaha. Even funnier because I'm picturing a Raichu with a surfer 'cha, bra' accent saying all this.

Just had my first triple battle! Very interesting, strategy wise. Pokémon on the left can only attack the left and centre opponent, Pokémon on the right the right and centre, Pokémon on the centre can attack all three. Will be a nice mix up to regular battles, despite being horrifically rare occurrences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom