• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

D-Pad said:
Nah, stick with the Hostess theme you have going with Twinkie.
Tepig -> Zinger
Snivy -> Suzy Q

lol. I love this thread.

On an actual serious note I am loving my Twinkie though. I got some nice SP ATK and ATK and there are a surprising amount of moves for Twinkie that use normals instead of just water type moves. This gives me some versatility when up against things like smug grass types.

thefil

Man, I thought my jealousy of this thread would stop when I got the game, but apparently not.

In the slow/busy crowed here, five hours in with a team of six level 12s and one gym badge. :(

Bentendo

I'm in a sandstorm right now and I was wondering, if my Pokémon are buffeted by the sandstorm why aren't the people walking around getting harmed by it. Are you tying to tell me that people... are steel type?

Just wondering, does the survey thing work over Wi-Fi? That is, if people on the Friend list are online and you are too, the survey thing will work as if they passed by on the street?
Drkirby said:
People are Ground Type.

Also, is Imprison as useless as I think it is?
Sort of. It's only useful if you have moves in your moveset that you want to lock the opponent from using, which is pretty unlikely in most situations...

Wiseblade said:
A Max of 24.

Also, now box names can only have a maximum of three numbers in them.

So how do people normally use their boxes? I used to order by type, but since that's no longer feasible (it wasn't even feasible in Gen IV...) I've moved to a Dex No. system. But that's really high maintenance and unintuitive. What should I do?

I just cram whatever, except in Pearl where I had a box dedicated to Dittos with various natures for breeding purposes.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So many cool new Pokemon, not enough slots.

Guess I'll just train random teams after the main game so I get a taste of them all.

Roto13

thefil said:
Man, I thought my jealousy of this thread would stop when I got the game, but apparently not.

In the slow/busy crowed here, five hours in with a team of six level 12s and one gym badge. :(
I'm not much farther than that at seven hours. :p Take your time. Enjoy yourself. No need to rush!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
People are Ground Type.

Also, is Imprison as useless as I think it is?
I think it's useful in the metagame where certain moves pop up often...say your Imprison Pokemon knows, perhaps, Earthquake, Stealth Rock, and Trick Room.

joelseph

thefil said:

going slow is the way to go I am at the same spot.

Salaadin

joelseph said:
It is pretty much a given that everyone playing Pokemon is old now. Next birthday you get to join us in the 30+ bracket! ;)

One guy in front of me at gamestop yesterday was probably 30+ years got Black for himself and White for his son. Its cool to see the age variations. If I ever have kids, Ill make sure he plays pokemon with me.

Reknoc

Wow 4th gym is quite a shock after kicking ass in the first 3 gyms, those flying electric squirrel things just ruin me, barely managed to see the leaders 3rd pokemon before it wiped out my remaining pokemon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Reknoc said:
Wow 4th gym is quite a shock after kicking ass in the first 3 gyms, those flying electric squirrel things just ruin me, barely managed to see the leaders 3rd pokemon before it wiped out my remaining pokemon.
We've come a long way from having a cave full of ground type Pokemon next door to the electric gym.

Roto13

I just did a trade with Reich and it wasn't really cooperating very well. We kept not being able to see each other and stuff generally wasn't happening. :p (Worked out after a while, though.)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Izayoi said:
Wi-fi communications with foreign games seems to have some problems. Birdie and I can't connect for some reason.

I traded with a few other people, and never had a problem...but it appears that Reich and Roto are having problems, so maybe it's the network right now?

Let's try again later tonight! I got to get ready for work here in an hour. :)

Wiseblade said:
A Max of 24.

Also, now box names can only have a maximum of three numbers in them.

So how do people normally use their boxes? I used to order by type, but since that's no longer feasible (it wasn't even feasible in Gen IV...) I've moved to a Dex No. system. But that's really high maintenance and unintuitive. What should I do?

Meh, I don't mind the box names. As long as there are 24 boxes (by 30 is 720) so that should be able to store all 649 pokemon and leave me a box or two for misc pokemon which I like to do.

so i think UPS is trolling me they deliver my guide book during the brunt of a snow storm to the college mailroom yet my pokemon white is left downtown and the shipment is delayed for the rest of what can only be called a nice and sunny day. ;; fuck you snow. fuck you lying groundhog.

BJK

Achtius said:
Just started with a female Oshawott. :D

Edit: Did they take out Run? o_O

Walk, then RunningShoes, then Bike, and then Fly.

PokeMon = gradually faster travel speeds.

Played a ton yesterday; got Dewatt to 26. (Not a commentary on which starter is best...but Simisear = breedable Yawn, which makes catching things much easier.)

Kind of disappointed with the lack of options for a false swipe + status effect PKMN in the early game. I've been spoiled with Paras and Breloom. Also, the one PKMN with Pick Up loses the ability at evolution? Weak.

KJTB

Oh god I was worried that this would happen...

Woke up this morning and started playing before I was supposed to go to class... Well, there was nothing due or anything so I... I ditched to play pokemon D:

Hurray for college and pokemon!

Kurtofan

Dipindots said:
Oh god I was worried that this would happen...

Woke up this morning and started playing before I was supposed to go to class... Well, there was nothing due or anything so I... I ditched to play pokemon D:

Hurray for college and pokemon!
There should be pokemon classes.

Mr. Sam

I would've destroyed the fourth gym if that bitch didn't apparently have a personal store of hyper potions. Kill my Sandile in the time Embargo bought you, will you? Well, I'll be back. And when I am, you're dead. You hear me? DEEAAAD!

Salaadin

Mr. Sam said:
I would've destroyed the fourth gym if that bitch didn't apparently have a personal store of hyper potions. Kill my Sandile in the time Emargo bought you, will you? Well, I'll be back. And when I am, you're dead. You hear me? DEEAAAD!

In previous pokemon games, did the gym leaders ever carry more than one Hyper Potion? I fought gym #3 yesterday and he used two of them. Almost got me because of it.

Roto13

Salaadin said:
In previous pokemon games, did the gym leaders ever carry more than one Hyper Potion? I fought gym #3 yesterday and he used two of them. Almost got me because of it.
I think they used to have one hyper potion or full restore or something per Pokemon but would only use one on each.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For all you who hated the forest's encounter rates just wait till you get to a cave later on.

Thank god I bought a repel earlier.

Suairyu

Banned
ryan-ts said:
Conception in past gens, not sure this time around.
Most likely the same then. At a 1/8th chance of being female, making my whore-cow-Snivy might take a while. Have three eggs in my party now, hopefully one can provide.

edit - nope. By the time I actually get another female Snivy, I might actually have no more use for one!

Oh wow, I trampled the 4th gym with ease with my Sandile, which was a surprise considering the comments on here. Now I gots me a Krokorok :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sandile is a beast for the 4th Gym, but a lot depends on how much the AI wants to spam Double Team with the rodents.

Katbot

Pokemon Black & White is indeed a shade more difficult than Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, but I was still able to wreck it with a team of two. Sigh.

D-Pad

EvilMario said:
Sandile is a beast for the 4th Gym, but a lot depends on how much the AI wants to spam Double Team with the rodents.

This. Had to take a breather after the first trainer. :\

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ugh, I FINALLY tracked down a copy of Pokémon White. EB wouldn't give me a copy since I didn't preorder. Booooo. Then I went to Best Buy and they didn't have any Pokémon White either. They DID have lots of copies of Pokémon Black, but I really only wanted White for now since that handy chart in the OP made White sound like the more logical choice. A lot of people who were picking up copies were probably ten years older than me. It's nice that it can reach multiple generations and genders.

Had to drive allllll the way to Zellers since I figured no one shopped there anyway and I had a $50 gift card to use. Got a copy of Pokémon White (they had a TON of copies), and a copy of SoulSilver (the last copy) to boot.

Phew. I hope this game is worth the effort. Trying to juggle this and Radiant Historia simultaneously now.

thefil

Katbot said:
Pokemon Black & White is indeed a shade more difficult than Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, but I was still able to wreck it with a team of two. Sigh.

Pokemon has always been easier if you stick with a team of two. Though it might seem counter-intuitive, the games are balanced around parties of 6 (and the experience division which comes with them), which make it much more challenging.

kiryani

I caught a Litwick because it impressed me in a trainer battle. I knew nothing about it at all but decided I'd train it up and see how it went, imagine my shock when I found out that
''It's 3rd form Chandelure has the highest Special Attack of all non-legendary Pokémon and of all Ghost-type Pokémon. ''

Katbot

thefil said:
Pokemon has always been easier if you stick with a team of two. Though it might seem counter-intuitive, the games are balanced around parties of 6 (and the experience division which comes with them), which make it much more challenging.

It would be interesting if the Pokemon in the story automatically matched the level of your highest level guy rather than being fixed. It would be a fun to tackle a Level 100 Elite 4 (as well as an easy way to grind experience -- I miss you Emerald Secret Bases)

Roto13

I murdered Red and Blue back in the day without ever switching my Venusaur out. I see your team of two and raise you a team of one. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom