• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katbot

Roto13 said:
I murdered Red and Blue back in the day without ever switching my Venusaur out. I see your team of two and raise you a team of one. :p

I finished Ruby/Sapphire with just Blaziken.

But then, the main story isn't really the point =/

Wiseblade

thefil said:
Pokemon has always been easier if you stick with a team of two. Though it might seem counter-intuitive, the games are balanced around parties of 6 (and the experience division which comes with them), which make it much more challenging.
This is less true with B/W's experience scaling system. Now, having 6 Pokémon on your team isn't simply spreading experience too thin.

Manus

Roto13 said:
I murdered Red and Blue back in the day without ever switching my Venusaur out. I see your team of two and raise you a team of one. :p

I don't see how people play like that. Doesn't even seem fun to me.

Suairyu

Banned
thefil said:
Pokemon has always been easier if you stick with a team of two. Though it might seem counter-intuitive, the games are balanced around parties of 6 (and the experience division which comes with them), which make it much more challenging.
They even tell you this in Accumula town. A girl in one of the houses mentions it might be easier to train a party of three. I've been training a full party of six as I think it makes the first-time experience more fun, but whenever Grey comes out, I'll blitz that with 2 or 3 Pokémon and the rest as HM slaves.

thefil

Katbot said:
It would be interesting if the Pokemon in the story automatically matched the level of your highest level guy rather than being fixed. It would be a fun to tackle a Level 100 Elite 4 (as well as an easy way to grind experience -- I miss you Emerald Secret Bases)

I suppose, though given the outrage that seems to come out most of the time when level scaling is put into a game (see: Oblivion) that might not be the best idea. I think I am too attached to the structured progression of the game to want every gym leader to adapt themselves to fit my theoretical two-person party. But then, to each their own.

Suairyu

Banned
thefil said:
I suppose, though given the outrage that seems to come out most of the time when level scaling is put into a game (see: Oblivion) that might not be the best idea. I think I am too attached to the structured progression of the game to want every gym leader to adapt themselves to fit my theoretical two-person party. But then, to each their own.
An Elite 4 that scales post-story would be nice. Every time you challenge them they've gone up by ~10 levels.

Katbot

SquirrelNuckle said:
I don't see how people play like that. Doesn't even seem fun to me.

I play that way because I'm blitzing the main campaign for the rest of the game.

As a wise old sage once said, "Life begins after the Elite 4"

Anth0ny

Yeah, I used to play through Red, Gold and Ruby with Charizard, Typhlosion and Blaziken alone. I'm sure I could do the same for White, but having a full party is fun.

All I know is when Grey comes out I'm playing through it with my bros from gen 1. Can we trade gen 1-4 eggs before beating the Elite 4?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I would've destroyed the fourth gym if that bitch didn't apparently have a personal store of hyper potions. Kill my Sandile in the time Embargo bought you, will you? Well, I'll be back. And when I am, you're dead. You hear me? DEEAAAD!
That's why you tap them first with a weaker attack...they won't heal unless they're in the red I believe. After a first decent, but weak attack to put them in yellow, then you hit with your SE attack. That always works for me.

Anyway, went to challenge Burgh and, since I'm battling on an equal level with each GL, I used Pignite, Roggenrola, and Cubchoo only for his Gym. Pignite's Flame Charge took down like everyone, but I used Roggenrola to take care of Dwebble and Venipede for the EXP., and Cubchoo handled some Sewaddle.

Vs. Burgh, it was easy. Pignite killed Whirlipede, Roggenrola killed Dwebble, and I used Cubchoo to fight Leavanny since he needed some EXP...he lost, but it didn't matter because I had slowed her down so much with Icy Wind that Pignite could pop in and finish her off before she tried anything tricky.

And now for work...and after that, I'm headed towards Gym 4! I think I'm going to do some Musicals and Subway battles for awhile when I get there, and battle through the Sports Dome to level up my team a bit more.

Don't know if this is right place to ask but I need to trade my boldore in order to get his evolution, anyone available to help me.Thank You

thefil

Suairyu said:
An Elite 4 that scales post-story would be nice. Every time you challenge them they've gone up by ~10 levels.

I think this is a much better option than scaling the entirety of the game.

Mr. Sam

EvilMario said:
Sandile is a beast for the 4th Gym, but a lot depends on how much the AI wants to spam Double Team with the rodents.
I just hit Bite until they decided to hit Pursuit and boom, 1/3rd of their HP gone. I always seemed to hit after they hit me with Pursuit.

Katbot

thefil said:
I think this is a much better option than scaling the entirety of the game.

Yeah. I only really want some challenging postgame content outside of the Battle Tower/Battle Frontier.

An Unknown Dungeon type level filled with wild level 100s would be kind of amazing as well.

Suairyu

Banned
8 male Snivies. The GTS it is for them. Are Pokémon obtained there likely to hacked or otherwise illegitimate?

Glix said:
Yay me too! You guys make me feel so much better about my Pokemon addiction!
And this one has a subplot that explores the themes of maturing and learning when the time is right to leave your parents' house! There has never been a better time to be into Pokémon.

Katbot

Suairyu said:
8 male Snivies. The GTS it is for them. Are Pokémon obtained there likely to hacked or otherwise illegitimate?

I believe there is a filter that does a rather good job of filtering illegitimate Pokemon.

Suairyu

Banned
Eurgh. This early in the game, when trading for level 1 newly-born Pokémon, are my chances of avoiding illegitimate ones good?

joelseph

Suairyu said:
And this one has a subplot that explores the themes of maturing and learning when the time is right to leave your parents' house! There has never been a better time to be into Pokémon.

maybe next gen they will have how to balance a career and family subplot? Get your leg up!

Teknoman

Whats with all the JP players still doing the lvl 10-20 for a lvl 100 legendary/starter on the GTS? Never understood the point.

Suairyu

Banned
joelseph said:
maybe next gen they will have how to balance a career and family subplot? Get your leg up!
They already have the mechanics in place with the daycare centre, it'd just need a few tweaks. Get on this shit, GameFreak!
Teknoman said:
Whats with all the JP players still doing the lvl 10-20 for a lvl 100 legendary/starter on the GTS? Never understood the point.
Maybe I made this up, but I seem to remember hearing stories about how in the early days of the GTS, Japanese players would offer stupidly good deals because they wanted English-named Pokémon. Was this true? What changed?

Glix

Katbot said:
Hacking makes me sad =(

I like the Shiny lvl 100 Palkia I got in Pearl over GTS, but yeah, hacking/cloning/etc ruins the whole rarity thing, and just all around sucks.

My game hasn't even shipped from Amazon yet, but the collector's edition of the guide came today.

I gotta say it looks really nice. Hardcover, has a nice shifting cover and it actually covers the post-game as well which is a welcomed surprise. The pokedex is pretty complete listing pretty much what it did in the HG/SS and Plat ones.

Though, it doesn't really seem to talk much about the side stuff, like Pokemon Musical, the multiplayer stuff or Dream World, though I guess they need something to toss in Part 2.

Red

How do you get Victini? I keep searching with mystery gift and it keeps saying no gifts to be found :s

Nevermind, worked on the fifth try.

Crunched said:
How do you get Victini? I keep searching with mystery gift and it keeps saying no gifts to be found :s
Are you doing the wifi one?
Also you don't get Victini as the gift you get a ticket to go to an island to get it.

You got it.

Crunched said:

You search over WFC. Dunno why it wouldn't work, you are in EU/NA right?

edit: ah, good good.

Poyunch

Crunched said:

Nevermind, worked on the fifth try.
Did you select Nintendo WFC?

edit: Too slow. :S

Ecotic

Does anyone know if Pokemon Black & White will tell you a Pokemon's Individual Values (IVs)? I read on Bulbapedia that there was a man somewhere that would tell you a pokemon's IVs, but they had a similar guy in previous games who would just tell you in a roundabout way, and only reveal which IV was strongest, and not tell you the whole set.

Using an online IV calculator is frustrating when you're breeding many baby Pokemon and you can't tell at level 1, or whichever level they're born at.

Roto13

Plasmid said:
Gah, just found the woman for the Zoroark event :((, but again, no extra DS to transfer my celebi over.
Trade your Celebi to someone with two DS's and another DS Pokemon, have them transfer it to Black or White and trade it back to you?

I put 12 hours on the game yesterday. Today im stuck at work from 11-9...5 1/2 hours to go c.c I don't think I ever played Pokémon that much before in the pass in one day.

Suairyu

Banned
Ugh nicknamed Pokémon on the GTS. Is there anyway to tell ahead of time if the Pokémon has been given a nickname?

edit - nevermind, found it.

Teknoman said:
Is there a special machine to use for transferring event pokemon?
In a building in Castelua. You tell some dude after riding an elevator Everyone Happy Simple Connection. The option to send the beasts/celebi will appear on the main menu of your game.

Reich

Looking for someone to trade low level poke :

- Snivy for Snivy
- Patrat for Patrat
- Purrloin for Purrloin
- Pidove for Pidove
- Munna for Munna

Need exps with bonus! =] For grinding ! PM me.

Suairyu

Banned
Reich said:
Looking for someone to trade low level poke :

- Snivy for Snivy
- Patrat for Patrat
- Purrloin for Purrloin
- Pidove for Pidove
- Munna for Munna

Need exps with bonus! =] For grinding ! PM me.
I am confused.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Didn't even realize the game released today!

My starter will probably be Snivy. Tepig looks kind of weird but cute but his evo's look like crap, and the water starter has the opposite problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom