• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
Just visited Union Tower. It's a sort-of recreation of the UN. A really nice feature, but a bit pointless. I'm guessing there'll be a wifi event at some point to do more with it.

But haha@the stereotypes. Visited the United States of America floor and 'met' the guy from Indiana I traded with. He was all with the "a-hyuk hyuk!"s and other dialect things.

I don't think even I could get OCD about the place, though. But I do intend to trade with as wide a range as people as possible.

edit

Castella City quest (dancing troupe)
Just found the third guy on Unity Peer, missed him before somehow. The reward is an amulet coin, which if a Pokémon holds and enters battle with you get double prize money.

Sanic

Soul Silver question, since everyone has migrated over here:

Sort of a noob question, but is there something i'm missing with regard to catching legendaries? Specifically, Lugia. I'll whittle it down to almost no health, put it to sleep, confuse it, or paralyze it, and throw endless ultra balls at it with no luck. I've reloaded my save 8+ times trying.

Is it supposed to be this difficult? I don't want to use my master ball, as I know the roaming legendaries will be even more troublesome.

D-Pad

Pandoracell said:

Sort of a noob question, but is there something i'm missing with regard to catching legendaries? Specifically, Lugia. I'll whittle it down to almost no health, put it to sleep, confuse it, or paralyze it, and throw endless ultra balls at it with no luck. I've reloaded my save 8+ times trying.

Is it supposed to be this difficult? I don't want to use my master ball, as I know the roaming legendaries will be even more troublesome.

Yeah that sounds about right.

BTW, it's okay to cry. We've all cried.

Woffls

Suairyu said:
Castella City quest (dancing troupe)
Just found the third guy on Unity Peer, missed him before somehow. The reward is an amulet coin, which if a Pokémon holds and enters battle with you get double prize money.
I actually just did this and forgot to go and collect my reward! Now that I know what it is, my next stop is in that direction! Thanks bro ;D

Suairyu

Banned
Pandoracell said:

Try some timer balls. The longer the battle goes on, the more effective they become. Last 30 turns and they become 4x as effective.

edit
Yeah, I'm OCD about the musical theatre now, it's official. Everytime I pass through Nimbassa I have to do at least one show. I want all the props and to be regarded as the best! But the rival Pokémon are starting to become real divas now; they'll sabotage your flourishes with their own flourishes to move the spotlight onto them. I gotta get into this theatrical back-stabbing act!

This is the first Pokemon game(s) I haven't picked up on day 1. I just got tired of buying a new Pokemon game, and playing it for about three or four gyms before quitting because it's all the same.

I've heard that Black and White are a little different, but honestly, just how different are we talking? I'd be lying if I said I'm not very tempted, but I'm sick of getting burned on this series.

zumphry

Banned
7echnicolor said:
Btw, what route did you find your Blitzle?

Route 3, which both the Pokedex and Bulbapedia say is the only route they appear on.

e: Wow, people love to give stuff away. Surprised someone hasn't given me their baby yet. wtf

Sanic

D-Pad said:
Yeah that sounds about right.

BTW, it's okay to cry. We've all cried.

;_;

Try some timer balls. The longer the battle goes on, the more effective they become. Last 30 turns and they become 4x as effective.

I'll give it a shot, along with some heavy balls.

I'm this close to using the master ball and saving my sanity.

Wiseblade

Pandoracell said:

In a word? Yes. Every pokemon has a value that determines how easy they are to catch from 1 to 255 with 255 being the easiest. Lugia's is 3. :/

All I can suggest is that sleep and freeze make a pokemon easier to catch than Poison, Paralysis or Burn, and that after 20 turns, Timer Balls are better to use than Ultra Balls.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I carry around a level 31 Lillipup, because Pickup is valuable and no other Unova Pokemon receive the ability. I'll trade over my level 100 Ambipom and Meowth eventually, but I prefer to play the single player adventure vanilla, without trades from old games.

edit: er, Unova

Mr. Sam

Glix said:
YAWN. Only reason I beat her was yawn. Those fuckers were too fast, and too strong.

Munna saved my ass.
What of Hypnosis?

I just tore through her with a Sandile, with my Throh (the tank of the team) as backup.

EvilMario said:
I carry around a level 31 Lillipup, because Pickup is valuable and not other Sinnoh Pokemon receive the ability. I'll trade over my level 100 Ambipom and Meowth eventually, but I prefer to play the single player adventure vanilla, without trades from old games.
Can't trade them over until you beat the E4 anyways.

Ben2749 said:
This is the first Pokemon game(s) I haven't picked up on day 1. I just got tired of buying a new Pokemon game, and playing it for about three or four gyms before quitting because it's all the same.

I've heard that Black and White are a little different, but honestly, just how different are we talking? I'd be lying if I said I'm not very tempted, but I'm sick of getting burned on this series.

Honestly im just up to gym two and it feels the same just with weird looking monsters, like you get a pidgot which is basically a pidgey, patrat is rattata or whatever so its basically red or blue but warped to me. Though the whole 3 people getting starters and stuff based of what you picked is nice but the grind to get pokes higher, then finding the bloody thing in the wild 5 mins later 4 levels higher is a annoying as fuck haha

My friends and I getting Zekrom/Reshiram in a few Pokeballs easily wasn't really lucky, they have the same catch rate as most 'normal' Pokemon... Other legendaries seem to have decent catch rates, which makes catching them all with a Pokeball fun :).

Suairyu

Banned
Thought I'd check out the Battle Subway, and I took a train to Anville Town, which is not accessible by walking, as far as I can tell. It's on the upper-left corner of the map. Time to explore!

edit - oh, there's an 'under construction' train line. Interesting!

edit - apparently you have to hit this place up on the weekends; it's full of star pieces and people looking to trade. Have to keep track of all these day-specific places. You have that dessert place in Castelia City on Tuesdays, the Café in Nacrene City. I'm sure I'll find more as time goes by. Will check out the dessert place tomorrow.
!
It is tomorrow! Hopefully they won't need me to wait until dawn.
*heads to Castelia City*

Glix

Suairyu said:
Thought I'd check out the Battle Subway, and I took a train to Anville Town, which is not accessible by walking, as far as I can tell. It's on the upper-left corner of the map. Time to explore!

? I went down there and did some single battles, I didn't realize you can actually go places! Cool!

Suairyu

Banned
Half-past midnight does count as Tuesday! I just bought a Casteliacone from the dessert stand! Heals all status ailments for only $100. Great deal.
... but you can only buy one per day. So one every Tuesday. Bah.
Glix said:
? I went down there and did some single battles, I didn't realize you can actually go places! Cool!
Well, place. Single. But it is cool. But not worth it until the weekend, apparently.

Wiseblade

I love the way every person you beat on the battle subway introduces a new instrument to the background music. from now on, I'm playing Black with my headphones in at all times.

Calcaneus

Just got back with Black, honestly had to flip a coin to decide. Probably gonna go with the water starter, since I always go with fire starters usually, and I irrationally hate grass types.

Have no idea what to name it, but whatever. Back to Pokemon after so many years!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Okay what the fuck. All my pokemon fainted cept for one during a wild double battle because I hadn't bothered to backtrack to heal and now I can't switch in my last remaining one. I'm completely stuck in the menu and will have to reset to god knows where I last saved. Something like this has never happened to me before in a Pokemon game. If this happens every time in this albeit rare situation that's fucked up.

Edit....God dammit, lost about an hour of progress.

zumphry

Banned
"I am the president of this company!"

Janitor Geoff wants to fight!

___

A Poke Doll and Potion for 28,000,000 PokeDollars? :lol

Suairyu

Banned
Nils said:
Okay what the fuck. All my pokemon fainted cept for one during a wild double battle because I hadn't bothered to backtrack to heal and now I can't switch in my last remaining one. I'm completely stuck in the menu and will have to reset to god knows where I last saved. Something like this has never happened to me before in a Pokemon game. If this happens every time in this albeit rare situation that's fucked up.

Never had a problem like that. You didn't accidentally jostle the cartridge or something?

But yes, as a practice well-honed from PC gaming, I save regularly. Shame it takes several seconds.

Lkr

got Fly after beating the 5th gym leader. God damn I'm so mad now, I didn't catch the bird pokemon earlier in the game. I'm really loving this game a LOT more than D/P/Pt now

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Suairyu said:
Never had a problem like that. You didn't accidentally jostle the cartridge or something?

But yes, as a practice well-honed from PC gaming, I save regularly. Shame it takes several seconds.

Nope, absolutely not. I had three Pokemon left when I entered that wild double battle, and I figured I'd save at the town I was 5 inches away from. So my two crappy in-training ones faint in the double wild battle leaving me with only the legendary I caught earlier left, who's at full health. So I'm on the "Who should you send out screen, and every time I tried to press Shift to get him into battle it would just show me the list of Pokemon again. Tried about 15 times switching the Pokemon in to no avail.

Now I have to suffer through a bunch of boring cut scene crap again and recatch some stuff. I'm especially irked since the Pokemon games are almost always a glitch free series barring the beneficial stuff like cloning and such.

Sanic

Did anyone else use their master ball on Lugia/Ho-oh? Somebody say yes so I don't feel like a quitter :p.

Plasmid

Nils said:

In this situation the game will never let you switch out, i've read about it on a few sites, it's a glitch, i'd save before going into random grass.

Suairyu

Banned
OMIGOD you can download new songs for musical theatre on the global link!! Whyyyy did Nintendo delay it until March 30th?! Whyyy?

I'm not liking this game, though I mostly think it's down to my team sucking. It currently consists of:

Serperior: I always go grass starter
Archeops: The only useful member of the team
Stoutland: Mostly picked for the moustache
Litwick: I went through the ghost tower a while back and figured Ghost/Fire would be a good idea

Any suggestions on what my last 2 members should be? I'm finding that most of the things I come across don't gel with me in this game

I'm really loving this story. So simple yet so exciting!!! Best pokemon story IMO.
(After the 7th gym!)
Just saw N fly away with Zekrom.
So fun!

Suairyu

Banned
MatthewB92 said:
I'm really loving this story. So simple yet so exciting!!! Best pokemon story IMO.
Just saw N fly away with Zekrom.
So fun!
Goddamn! You mark your spoilers with rough progress markers, like "(post gym 7)" or whatever. Now I've totes been spoiled. : (

Glix

Suairyu said:
Goddamn! You mark your spoilers with rough progress markers, like "(post gym 7)" or whatever. Now I've totes been spoiled. : (

Don't read spoilers if you don't want to be spoiled! Sorry bro!

Roto13

Pandoracell said:
Did anyone else use their master ball on Lugia/Ho-oh? Somebody say yes so I don't feel like a quitter :p.
Ho-Oh and Lugia both have a catch rate of 3, which is the lowest possible. :p There's no shame in using your Master Ball on them. Though there are other Pokemon later that you might find harder to catch because their levels are high.

Nils said:
Nope, absolutely not. I had three Pokemon left when I entered that wild double battle, and I figured I'd save at the town I was 5 inches away from. So my two crappy in-training ones faint in the double wild battle leaving me with only the legendary I caught earlier left, who's at full health. So I'm on the "Who should you send out screen, and every time I tried to press Shift to get him into battle it would just show me the list of Pokemon again. Tried about 15 times switching the Pokemon in to no avail.

Now I have to suffer through a bunch of boring cut scene crap again and recatch some stuff. I'm especially irked since the Pokemon games are almost always a glitch free series barring the beneficial stuff like cloning and such.
I think we may have ran into a glitch. The same thing happened to me yesterday. This never happened in the Japanese version. It also seems to act up when using the C-Gear...

Parts

Went into a cave to train my fossil turtle, see a giant iron pony thing in a corner, assume it's a legendary.

Iron pony thing then decimates my team as it's a higher level than all of them by like 2 and I don't want to kill it.

I catch giant iron pony thing with my last pokeball.

That was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom