• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
Glix said:
Don't read spoilers if you don't want to be spoiled! Sorry bro!
Spoilers are often used as internet humour.
You dick!
etc. When discussing games, it's proper form to give rough indication as to what exactly is being spoilt. At least here on GAF, it is.

I mean, it's cool, because it's Pokémon and I totally expected what was spoilt to happen anyway, but it's nice if everyone could be considerate about how they use the spoiler tags.
MatthewB92 said:
Sorry :( Fixed for other.
It's cool, anyone who has played a Pokémon game before knew something like that would be happening. Just be a bit more careful in future.

Reich

Posting here, posted few pages back.

Looking for someone willing to trade low level poke :

- Snivy for Snivy
- Patrat for Patrat
- Purrloin for Purrloin
- Pidove for Pidove
- Munna for Munna

FC is 1377 6517 7066 !

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Nils said:
Okay what the fuck. All my pokemon fainted cept for one during a wild double battle because I hadn't bothered to backtrack to heal and now I can't switch in my last remaining one. I'm completely stuck in the menu and will have to reset to god knows where I last saved. Something like this has never happened to me before in a Pokemon game. If this happens every time in this albeit rare situation that's fucked up.

Edit....God dammit, lost about an hour of progress.

Just faint and take your money lose. It's not that horrible.

Roto13

^^^ You know you can do that on the GTS, right? :p

So you need to see 30 Pokemon to get the False Swipe TM, right? So what do you do to get it?

EDIT: Ugh, I have to go all the way back to Numeva Town? Ugh ugh ugh

Lkr

MatthewB92 said:
I'm really loving this story. So simple yet so exciting!!! Best pokemon story IMO.
(After the 7th gym!)
Just saw N fly away with Zekrom.
So fun!
goddamn, put like major spoiler or something preceding it. i didn't realize it would be something so big. i figured like you got a rare pokemon or something!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
Just faint and take your money lose. It's not that horrible.

That's the thing. I couldn't. I was stuck in the send out your pokemon screen.

Wiseblade

I never thought the day would come when people would complain about Pokémon spoilers.

Actual endgame spoiler:

I'm glad I finished the story before it was spoiled for me, the set piece at the Pokémon league was INSANE!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Nils said:
That's the thing. I couldn't. I was stuck in the send out your pokemon screen.

Wow, that's horrible. I thought you just didn't want to lose. Bad, bad glitch. Pokemon games have been 'fairly' clean since Missingno.

MarkusRJR

My Snivy just evolved into a Servine. IT SUCKS BALLS. Why does it suck so much? Seriously. It has got to be the worst starter Pokemon in the history of the fucking universe. My goddamn Lillipup is stronger. It's a fucking dog. THIS IS A MOTHERFUCKING SNAKE MONSTER. IT SHOULD FUCK EVERYONE'S SHIT UP.

Shit's fucked up.

/RAGEQUIT

Suairyu

Banned
Everyone remember (because I forgot) that every day there's a different sport being practiced in the big and small domes in Nimbasa city. Each session has one trainer selected from a pool of over a hundred, many giving out rare items if you win. The trainers very loosely scale to your level, making it worth the EXP.

Suairyu

Banned
Yaceka said:
My Snivy just evolved into a Servine. IT SUCKS BALLS. Why does it suck so much? Seriously. It has got to be the worst starter Pokemon in the history of the fucking universe. My goddamn Lillipup is stronger. It's a fucking dog. THIS IS A MOTHERFUCKING SNAKE MONSTER. IT SHOULD FUCK EVERYONES SHIT UP.

Shit's fucked up.

/RAGEQUIT
I'd hold off evolving it again. Once it learns a couple of its later moves, the Snivy line becomes very competent. Leaf Blade is an awesome attack.

.JayZii

Banned
And this is the end result of using spoiler tags for jokes. They are meaningless. Reap what you sow Gaf.

I'm still waiting for my copy of White to get shipped. Looking forward to raising a Reuniclus, it's just so gosh dern cute.

Yaceka said:
My Snivy just evolved into a Servine. IT SUCKS BALLS. Why does it suck so much? Seriously. It has got to be the worst starter Pokemon in the history of the fucking universe. My goddamn Lillipup is stronger. It's a fucking dog. THIS IS A MOTHERFUCKING SNAKE MONSTER. IT SHOULD FUCK EVERYONE'S SHIT UP.

Shit's fucked up.

/RAGEQUIT

Brings a new meaning to Straight Up Dawg Time.

Onto the fifth gym with RockSteady.

zumphry

Banned
How could I get shaky patches of grass to happen more often? The first and only one I've seen so far, I caught the Audino in it, but I haven't been able to find another one. :/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yaceka said:

Shit's fucked up.

/RAGEQUIT

y0zgQ.gif

Snivy ends up being the product of a pure Grass type (horrible movepool) and a defensive Pokemon in single player. If you want to use it offensively, teach it Swords Dance later. With Leaf Blade + filler moves, it can dish out some good damage in game. Otherwise, wait for Dream World Snivy, and it's new ability.

_tetsuo_ said:
So it's smart to deny the evolution of Snivy for a while?

The only benefit is learning Lead Blade four levels earlier, but it's outweighted by the stat gains you'll have as a Servine.

Taking a look at this one, pretty cool that they put so much attention to detail into it. Loved the animation right off the bat of the trainer trying to pull her ball out of her satchel thing. I haven't played a pokemon since uh, well the first one I guess, but it looks like it might be pretty fun. I remember choosing your first one used to be hard, but man was it easy in this one. Retarded pig thing, whatever the HELL that depressed penguin was, or that smug looking Grass assassin. The choice made itself.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
Wow, that's horrible. I thought you just didn't want to lose. Bad, bad glitch. Pokemon games have been 'fairly' clean since Missingno.

That's why I'm kind of pissed about it yeah. Losing a bit of money wouldn't bother me at all. Losing an hour of progress including the Pokemon I just caught/evolved etc irritates me a lot more. The Pokemon games have been fairly glitchless, unless you actually tried to force them, this situation while uncommon isn't something that's super rare and will probably screw over quite a few people in the long run.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Nils said:
That's why I'm kind of pissed about it yeah. Losing a bit of money wouldn't bother me at all. Losing an hour of progress including the Pokemon I just caught/evolved etc irritates me a lot more. The Pokemon games have been fairly glitchless, unless you actually tried to force them, this situation while uncommon isn't something that's super rare and will probably screw over quite a few people in the long run.

This just reinforces my OCD saving every 5 minutes.

destructo10

Neo Member
I'm dying to play this. I ordered it off of amazon since I had a $20 credit so it only cost $15. Then since I'm cheap I got free shipping and won't get it til next monday at the earliest.

Wiseblade

EvilMario said:
y0zgQ.gif

Snivy ends up being the product of a pure Grass type (horrible movepool) and a defensive Pokemon in single player. If you want to use it offensively, teach it Swords Dance later. With Leaf Blade + filler moves, it can dish out some good damage in game. Otherwise, wait for Dream World Snivy, and it's new ability.

The only benefit is learning Lead Blade four levels earlier, but it's outweighted by the stat gains you'll have as a Servine.
Yeah, Serperior won't look so weak when he's spamming +6 Leaf Storms everywhere.

Suairyu said:
Tell me more!
It's dream world ability makes it so if a move lowers the users stats it will rise them. I think it does the opposite too? So Leaf Storm is a great combo with a dream world Snivy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Small Mailman said:
Hows Wotter(I refuse to call him that other name) compared to the other 2 starters? I always pick the water type.

He's the balanced one. Good attack stats, medicore speed, poor defenses. Personally, I think he's the best choice. Tepig is powerful, but slow (but not as powerful as other Fire types), and Snivy is very defensive which is not something you want in single player.

Suairyu

Banned
MatthewB92 said:
It's dream world ability makes it so if a move lowers the users stats it will rise them. I think it does the opposite too? So Leaf Storm is a great combo with a dream world Snivy.
So you get those by..? Sending your Snivy to the Dreamworld? Or capturing a Snivy found in the Dreamworld?

Wiseblade

Suairyu said:
Tell me more!
His Dream World ability makes it so that whenever his stats would decrease, they increase by that amount instead.

So this means that when he uses Leaf storm instead of His Special Attack being halved afterward, it's doubled...

Suairyu said:
So you get those by..? Sending your Snivy to the Dreamworld? Or capturing a Snivy found in the Dreamworld?
I think you have to become friends with a snivy in dream world. I have no clue how dream world works lol.

Suairyu said:
Befriending one in the Dream World and then bringing it to your game. Then you have to catch it, but it works just like the Pal Park IIRC.

EvilMario said:
He's the balanced one. Good attack stats, medicore speed, more defenses. Personally, I think he's the best choice. Tepig is powerful, but slow (but not as powerful as other Fire types), and Snivy is very defensive which is not something you want in single player.
Nice! Bummed that I won't be getting this game for a while though :/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Suairyu said:
Tell me more!

Dreamworld is an area that will open soon that is linked by Global Link website, and the C-Gear in your game. You'll be able to access this area and catch Pokemon with unique abilities. Snivy has one of the better/more fitting abilities in Contrary. It makes moves that lower stats, increase stats, and moves that increase stats, lower stats.

For example, Snivy will use Leaf Storm, a powerful Grass type attack that lowers your Special Attack two levels. But with this ability, it will INCREASE its Special Attack two levels. Effectively letting you fire off the most powerful Grass-type move available, and giving you a free Nasty Plot boost in the process. Pretty powerful stuff and one of the reasons people want to use Snivy in competitive battling later.

entremet

How have lapsed Pokemon fans finding this game? I loved the games up until Gen 2, but kinda got tired of the same old same old. Have GF made substantial changes to the formula to make it appear fresh?

Suairyu

Banned
Can a Pokémon have both a regular ability and a dream ability? Snivy, for example, can have Overgrow which times grass attacks by 1.5

Also, how do you check abilities? I'm not seeing it in summary and I know my Blitzle has lightning rod.

entrement said:
How have lapsed Pokemon fans finding this game? I loved the games up until Gen 2, but kinda got tired of the same old same old. Have GF made substantial changes to the formula to make it appear fresh?
Maxed (minus Mew, much to the ruin of my childhood) the original Red, played first third of Gold. So I'm lapsed hard. But now I'm back!

This game has completely reignited my love of Pokémon again. Every fault in the original is gone. And by restricting the wild Pokémon to only the new 156 during the story, you're not overwhelmed and it becomes a joyous game of discovery again.

I really, really recommend it to the lapsed fan.

Jokey665

Nils said:
Okay what the fuck. All my pokemon fainted cept for one during a wild double battle because I hadn't bothered to backtrack to heal and now I can't switch in my last remaining one. I'm completely stuck in the menu and will have to reset to god knows where I last saved. Something like this has never happened to me before in a Pokemon game. If this happens every time in this albeit rare situation that's fucked up.

Edit....God dammit, lost about an hour of progress.
my roommate had this problem last night and freaked out for a minute or two before figuring it out. select the pokemon that's still alive, then select one of the two pokemon on the top row. for some reason it needs you to decide which pokemon to switch out for.
Suairyu said:
Can a Pokémon have both a regular ability and a dream ability? Snivy, for example, can have Overgrow which times grass attacks by 1.5

Also, how do you check abilities? I'm not seeing it in summary and I know my Blitzle has lightning rod.
one ability per 'mon as far as i know. you can see the ability you have by going to the second page of the summary, where the moves are (press right on the summary page).

timnich

Anyone have an extra drilbur or a drilbur egg they can spare? I'm sick of searching for one...the only thing I have worth trading away is an audino. Please help!

KingK

Bah! I have White version sitting here on my desk, unopened. But I have a Calc II exam tomorrow, a physics exam Wednesday, and an English essay due Thursday on top of other homework due throughout the week.

What should I do!?!

Suairyu said:

Second page of the summary. Under the stats on the top screen.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Suairyu said:

A Pokemon can have multi-abilities, but only one at once.

Check Serebii's Pokedex, and look up your Pokemon to see its abilities and what they do.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/

FYI: Lightning Rod negates Electric attacks, and makes the Pokemon's Sp Atk raise by one stage.

KingK said:
Bah! I have White version sitting here on my desk, unopened. But I have a Calc II exam tomorrow, a physics exam Wednesday, and an English essay due Thursday on top of other homework due throughout the week.

What should I do!?!
School has never interrupted my gaming. I would play games even if it was state exam days lol.

Suairyu

Banned
Jokey665 said:
one ability per 'mon as far as i know. you can see the ability you have by going to the second page of the summary, where the moves are (press right on the summary page).
Ah! The top screen! I'm often missing information on the other screen. Thank you!

entrement said:

I'm in the same situation. I played Gold but never got another Nintendo Portable since so couldn't play the newer versions.

The main difference I've noticed is speed. Everything just flows so much nicer using the DSi. One thing though, tapping the screen only sometimes acts as A which is annoying.

The other main thing is the 3D environments. It'll take a few cities to get used to but you'll welcome the change.

KingK

MidnightScott said:
School has never interrupted my gaming. I would play games even if it was state exam days lol.

Well, Thursday is my last day of class before Spring Break, so I'm considering having my roommate hide the game somewhere until then to remove the temptation lol.

Roto13

ZayneH said:
How could I get shaky patches of grass to happen more often? The first and only one I've seen so far, I caught the Audino in it, but I haven't been able to find another one. :/
Just run around near a patch of grass without going into the grass. It'll eventually start to shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom