• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is it me, or does the game count time in sleep mode, with Wifi on, as play time? I don't recall it doing it when I had the Wifi off (Which I do since it doesn't do anything right now, and saves battery life)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Suairyu said:
And yet should barely qualify as a town. I do always roll my eyes when every place is called a "city" in Pokémon even if there are only five buildings. Black/White has been very good so far at creating the illusion of places larger than they actually are.

Castelia City and Sky Arrow Bridge have definitely impressed me though. They look awesome.

Suairyu

Banned
Andrex said:
Castelia City and Sky Arrow Bridge have definitely impressed me though. They look awesome.
No doubt. I wish more Pokémon cities were like that. Reinforces the "going out into the world and seeing wondrous sights" thing. Just call the top-down perspective places "towns" and the starting area a "village" already.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ColtraineGF said:
BTW, both Emolga are immune to Ground attacks :)
You can catch a Dwebble near the ruins before the gym and it will know Smack Down.

Just got my 3rd badge. Checking this thread always makes me wanna hop back it but I have to go to sleeeeeeeeep.

Also, I feel kinda bad about abusing that Audino trick. Especially since it looks so sad after I kick it's ass. ;_;
Oh well, when it yields 10x the Exp, who can blame me?

SlickVic

Think I'm finally done with Soul Silver. Wound up catching all the remain legendaries I needed today (Groudon, Suicine, Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno), just in time for my copy of White to show up from Amazon tomorrow. Can't wait to start a brand new Pokemon adventure.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tweak #49049 that I love: New items appear at the top of your inventory instead of at the bottom.

Zzoram

Andrex said:
Tweak #49049 that I love: New items appear at the top of your inventory instead of at the bottom.

Can you go from the top of your inventory to the bottom yet? Or do you always have to scroll down from the top and vice versa? A wrapping list would be so much better.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tweak #49050 that I love: There is a sort button in the Items pocket.

Tweak #49051 that I love: You can assign a pocket of your bag to the Y button.

Zzoram said:
Can you go from the top of your inventory to the bottom yet? Or do you always have to scroll down from the top and vice versa? A wrapping list would be so much better.

Yes, the list wraps. That's tweak #49048.

Red

davidthemute said:
Just got my 3rd badge. Checking this thread always makes me wanna hop back it but I have to go to sleeeeeeeeep.

Also, I feel kinda bad about abusing that Audino trick. Especially since it looks so sad after I kick it's ass. ;_;
Oh well, when it yields 10x the Exp, who can blame me?
What trick is this?

Andrex said:
Tweak #49050 that I love: There is a sort button in the Items pocket.

Tweak #49051 that I love: You can assign a pocket of your bag to the Y button.
I love the Y button as a shortcut key to basically all menu screens and usable key items. It's so much better than the old menu selection system.

Can't find a Sawk anywhere. Looked in shaky grass for two and half hours before giving up. Managed to fight enough Audinos to raise my Dewott to level 27, my Munna to level 25, and my Purrloin to level 21, evolving it in the process.

Needless to say, the second gym wasn't much of a challenge after that.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Neutral attacks are best against the Emolgas for the most part. The only rock type moves you're probably going to know are going to be inaccurate, which is just compounded by Double Team being used. Something neutral to Electric and has enough strength to 2HKO them should be enough in most cases.

Issun23

Crunched said:
That's exactly where I was searching :(

I'm on white version, if it makes a difference.

I'm playing Black, which might explain why I got mine rather easily. According to Serebii in Black Sawk appears in normal grass (10% rarity) but in White it appears only in shaky grass (and 5% rarity.) The opposite scenario applies to Throh, which I couldn't spot even once.

Zzoram

That interface stuff is good to hear. B/W seems to be the best game due to all those little interface and mechanic tweaks.

Izayoi

Banned
Zzoram said:
That interface stuff is good to hear. B/W seems to be the best game due to all those little interface and mechanic tweaks.
There is no "seems". This game blows all of the previous ones out of the water. As somebody who barely used to the touchscreen stuff it feels lightning-fast. Holy shit, dude. Everything is so slick.

Zzoram

Izayoi said:
There is no "seems". This game blows all of the previous ones out of the water. As somebody who barely used to the touchscreen stuff it feels lightning-fast. Holy shit, dude. Everything is so slick.

I am so excited. White is sitting at my parents house right now. I can't wait until Friday when I can pick it up. I need to finish two projects on campus this week so I won't fail school once I get my hands on Pokemon White.

Kintaco

I keep getting errors when trying to connect to WFC in order to do the Game Sync thing. :/ This games does support WPA2 right? I'm able to get online on the DSi brower, am I missing something?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kintaco said:
I keep getting errors when trying to connect to WFC in order to do the Game Sync thing. :/ This games does support WPA2 right? I'm able to get online on the DSi brower, am I missing something?

As said in the OP Global Link won't be up until the 30th.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kintaco said:
How does everyone have Friend Codes then? It tells me I need to connect to WFC...maybe I got the two confused.

You can do the C-Gear and Pokemon Center stuff but you can't do anything involving the Global Link, including Game Sync, the Dream World, etc.

Izayoi

Banned
Kintaco said:
How does everyone have Friend Codes then? It tells me I need to connect to WFC...maybe I got the two confused.
Talk to the girl in the middle. Connecting to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Club will automatically give you a friend code.

It's only the Global Link that is currently inactive.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
You can do the C-Gear and Pokemon Center stuff but you can't do anything involving the Global Link, including Game Sync, the Dream World, etc.
You also can't do ranked Random matches since those are linked to the same account. You can do unranked matches though.

Kintaco

Izayoi said:
Talk to the girl in the middle. Connecting to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Club will automatically give you a friend code.

It's only the Global Link that is currently inactive.
Ahhh got it thanks!

Currently playing on the White version. I'm currently in
Twist Mountain
after defeating the 6th gym leader. I'm really enjoying it so far, the small little editions of the pokemon nurses and doctors in caves which heal you and getting so many good items from Prof. Juniper are neat additions. :)

My team currently is:

578enzy.png
Duosion - Level 36
513bu67.png
Pansear - Level 37
583lnos.png
Vanillish - Level 39
533an2h.png
Gurdurr - Level 39
595tupn.png
Joltik - Level 42
5024upx.png
Dewott - Level 38

My team was at least 10 levels lower than that when I arrived in Mistralton City, thankfully I found out about Audino's. :)

The only hiccup I have is with electric pokemon, though I have now taught Gurdurr Dig, which is working out okay. Though Emolga's are by far the most annoying opponent, I hate Double Team.

Having no pokemon with Fly is really going to hinder me soon. Any recommendations? Ideally I would like something that can use Fly and either kick things to fainting or set things on fire until they faint, as I'm really bored of Pansear. Though I suppose just switching at a Pokemon Center is just as good as any option.

dc89

I'm one hour into the game. I've been reading all the Snivy hate and it's made me re-think about my original choice (yes I chose Snivy). Would you guys recommend me to start again and reselect?

What actually makes him a bad starter?

I was supposed to get this game on the day of the European release, but apparently this online store made an error on my order so it isn't until now it will get sent! Very annoying considering that I pre ordered it. Getting the Black version while my girlfriend gets White.

Zertez

Im really enjoying the game so far. The changes have streamlined a lot of things and taken a lot of the small headaches out of the game. The only complaint I have so far is how easy the game is. I know the series has never been difficult, but it seems any time the game maybe tough, it holds your hand with a new pokemon or points you in the direction of a wild pokemon that is 10 ft away. I know for some these are welcome changes, but I enjoyed the rare gym fight that took multiple tries. Timburr is a powerhouse early on.

What's with the absurd exp gain from Audino? Am I making some sort of deal with the devil? Beating up poor innocent sweet puffballs for faster exp and less grind? What have I done!?

Suairyu

Banned
Relic Castle
Chose cover Fossil, then went to the museum to get it reanimated. Made a save just before speaking to the scientist then reloaded a few times until my Tirtouga came back as female. Now I'm off to breed the fucker and get me an Archen. Internet trading makes everything so easy.
hypersheep said:
What's with the absurd exp gain from Audino? Am I making some sort of deal with the devil? Beating up poor innocent sweet puffballs for faster exp and less grind? What have I done!?
It's totally asking for it by having such a ridiculously high defense stat. It wants you to punch it in the face. It's asking for it.

Izayoi

Banned
dc89 said:
I'm one hour into the game. I've been reading all the Snivy hate and it's made me re-think about my original choice (yes I chose Snivy). Would you guys recommend me to start again and reselect?
If you picked him because you liked him the most, don't change your choice because of what some jaded assholes on the internet said.

If you picked him just because you couldn't choose and picked randomly or something, the other two are better choices.

hypersheep said:
The tradeoff is that horrible guilt you feel while you stare into its cute face as it heals you when you kick its shit in.

It will haunt you.

Dascu

Beat the Elite Four and the Champion
N&Ghetsis
. My team:

ab5T8.png
k0klh.png

Zweilous lvl55 - Krookodile lvl57
NgHgQ.png
ynqwX.png

Galvantula lvl 56 - Carracosta lvl 56
0yyrv.png
UElHH.png

Emboar lvl 56 - Swoobat lvl 56

Everyone was 55 before starting the battles. Maybe a bit overlevelled. Last fights had a few annoying pokemon though. Oh well, time for the post-E4 content, which seems to be very substantial.

Picked it up on Friday but have been super busy and unable to play it. Will hopefully get some game time in tonight.

Literally have only picked my starter and gone to see the professor.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Zzoram said:
Is the turtle fossil better than the bird? The turtle seems so slow but hits hard according to the base stats.

I chose the bird because Rock+Flying sounds like fricking kickass typing. And also I love the flying type in general, so there's a high chance I'll be using it post-game too.

Mr. Sam said:
Where in Castelia City, I presume, do I acquire these cones?

The stand in... I think the second-from-the-right alley, where all the people line up.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
You can sell Casteliacones for 2000 moneys on Route 5. :O Easy money.

Kinda-not-really endgame spoilers:

Elite Four R2+ Amulet coin = Serious Bank. Also, the Hall of fame animation is insane!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Elite Four + Amulet Coin is an end to money woes in all the games. It's still a neat find, though, especially pre-E4.

Drkirby said:
They are officially called Pokémon Dollars (In Japan, they are Pokédollars)

Moneys is easier and funner to type.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, is there really no way to import items from older games? Thats a bummer :/

Do items like Power Weight still work the same as they did in HG/SS?

And is there any sort of train or similar transportation? I see train tracks here and there, but haven't seen any sort of station.

Izayoi

Banned
Jinko said:
Holy F... where did all these random battles come from all of a sudden, I wana smash my DS !!
Repels, dude. With money pouring out of every orifice in this game it should be no problem stocking up on them.

Wiseblade

Drkirby said:
So, is there really no way to import items from older games? Thats a bummer :/

Do items like Power Weight still work the same as they did in HG/SS?

And is there any sort of train or similar transportation? I see train tracks here and there, but haven't seen any sort of station.

Yes.

Is anybody available who could help me evolve a karrablast? I can provide the shelmet if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom