• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izayoi

Banned
Dat trading animation almost makes all of the pain worth it.

Wiseblade said:
I'm starting to really hate the Pokémon Center theme.
Something I definitely preferred in Diamond and Pearl. The laid-back theme was really nice and far easier to listen to for long periods of time than this one is.

Thank you so much, man! I really, really appreciate it.

Teknoman

Roto13 said:
This really isn't new behaviour. :p

Green Scar said:
They've always done that.

Seriously? Hmm...I know i've had Elite 4 use items during a fight, but I cant really remember any gym leaders, unless its just been awhile since my last gym leader run/they never had the chance to use them.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So, first Pokemon game for me. I've made it to Striaton City but haven't battled a Gym Leader yet. I picked the grass-based Pokemon for my starter, he's currently level 12, and I have a level 10 water-based Pokemon a chick in the Dreamyard gave me, and a level 10 Lilipup that I leveled up.

Question: Do I need to spend lots of time grinding levels for each Pokemon I find for at least the start of the game? I'm not sure how much of a stable I need, or what level they need to be at. Cheren just challenged me and I lost to him, but then retried and won due to getting the water-based Pokemon.

Diseased Yak said:
So, first Pokemon game for me. I've made it to Striaton City but haven't battled a Gym Leader yet. I picked the grass-based Pokemon for my starter, he's currently level 12, and I have a level 10 water-based Pokemon a chick in the Dreamyard gave me, and a level 10 Lilipup that I leveled up.

Question: Do I need to spend lots of time grinding levels for each Pokemon I find for at least the start of the game? I'm not sure how much of a stable I need, or what level they need to be at. Cheren just challenged me and I lost to him, but then retried and won due to getting the water-based Pokemon.
Being able to cover the rock-paper-scissors of pokemon types is generally the most important thing. You don't have to grind too much but it's good to level the pokemon types you want to use so that you'll have the right cache of moves at your disposal. The game makes it obvious what types of pokemon the gym leaders favor so you will know what type to have available to counter it. Getting a full 6 pokemon in your deck early is good just because when one faints you can keep throwing out more.

SlickVic

Teknoman said:
Seriously? Hmm...I know i've had Elite 4 use items during a fight, but I cant really remember any gym leaders, unless its just been awhile since my last gym leader run/they never had the chance to use them.

Kanto Gym Leaders in HG/SS loved their Full Restores. Don't remember the ones in Johto using them as much.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Since no one here has done it as far as I know, tonight I am going to try the Entralink with my JP Black and US White.

I hear you can actually earn a temporary item from completing missions that increases your EXP gain in the main game for a limited amount of time. :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
HenryGale said:
This game is tough. I'm on gym 2. Getting all my pokemon up to lvl 0 to beat this suckah. I don't wanna use a fighting type, since I wont use him on my team after this, and its a waste of time/XP then.

Indeed, there are not a lot of choices that early for a Fighting move without using a Fighting Pokemon. Rock Smash is your one option. At least you'll get a few defensive drops with it, and be able to plow through with other moves.

The only issue I really find on the second Gym is a seemingly very accurate Hypnosis.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I used a Tympole on my main team in Black and he seriously kicked ass...he kind of weakens out a bit thought as you progress, and the lack of any good Ice moves isn't good considering his typing (I wish he was Water/Poison though when he evolves...Water/Ground is like Fire/Fighting basically, and he learns a fair bit of Poison moves, plus Unova needs more poison types) but he's still fun to use.

Plus, the back sprite of his evolution Palpitoad looks like it's wearing headphones. :D
I loved battling with him for that reason alone.

Andrefpvs

My Pokémon are on average level 38-39 before the 6th gym and I'm literally destroying everything on my path. I don't even recall grinding that much, although I did get a few "Exp Bonuses S" from a friend.

Did I break the game, or is it gonna get harder from now on?

Salsa

Forkball said:
Tympole is surprisingly strong. God I wish my stupid electric zebra knew an electric offensive attack.

That electric Zebra sucks ass :( i wanted to like him

Traded it and never looked back.

Wiseblade

Forkball said:
Tympole is surprisingly strong. God I wish my stupid electric zebra knew an electric offensive attack.
Stick with it. Blitzle is by far the best of the early game pokemon available. Spark Probably isn't too far off for you, and he get the superior Wild Charge not long after evolving.

That 151GTS awesomesauce site is missing the WIN2011 Suicune, not that it matters though because there is still the GAMESTP one which is nearly identical in value.

Teknoman said:
Huh. Darumaka's dex entry is...interesting.

Guess thats sorta realistic considering what other cultures do.
I was about to mention this when I caught him the other day:
Darumaka's droppings are hot, so
people used to put them in their
clothes to keep themselves warm.
The More You Know™

Teknoman said:
Huh. Darumaka's dex entry is...interesting.

Guess thats sorta realistic considering what other cultures do.
5tCeJ.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

Speaking of the Troll Face (no, not Tympole :p), one of the tv programs reminded me of Troll Logic...

It was Dr. Technic'Al Machine discussing Smack Down, that bad ass new move that Roggenrola uses, and the guy was like...

"You can use it if you accidentally sent a letter through Air Mail. Use Smack Down on the airplane and, viola, your letter never arrives!"

I dunno but that made me laugh. Another one was using Simple Beam to end a board meeting...

Speaking of Simple Beam, my Elgyem just learned it, and I wanna see all the neat stuff it can do...it seems pretty versatile, since it changes any target's ability to Simple, which means that stat modifiers are DOUBLED (both positive and negative) which rocks when used right. It would shine on a Doubles Team...with, say, Regigigas or Archeops, as you can indeed get rid of their negative abilities. Only Truant and Multi-type cannot be changed it seems, so no Slaking. :(

Emitan

UPS says my copy is scheduled for "early delivery". It's 5 in the fucking afternoon and it's still not here. I've been sick all day, gone to class, gone to work and exhausted my sick, frail body there rearanging an entire file room and hauling folders across the building, got home and I expected to see Pokemon. NOPE ):<

And I still have to go to class later tonight to write an essay for a significant portion of my grade.

Plasmid

7th badge and at the 5th floor of
dragonspiral
. I'm not trying to rush through, but victini has been wrecking. Gonna have to take him out before E4.

Forkball

Damn, Audino's are worth a hell of a lot of experience points. I just beat a level 15 one with my level 12 Tympole, and after the battle my Tympole jumped from 12 to 16!

Watch Da Birdie

Calidor said:
10 hours in! Got the 5th gym medal and
Fly

Now I don't know where I have to go haha
You got to go through the cave to the North, man. Hope you're ready for some Swoobat and Boldore, the cave's pretty long.

Actually, SURPRISE, the cave is pretty diverse...you can find Kling, Ferroseed, Joltik, and Tynamo!

Ravidrath

Delio said:
Anyone happen to have a dedicated Capture pokemon already ? Like the old classic Smergle with Spore and such. Now that the main game is done i'm ready to start catching things.

A bit late on this, but I will be able to breed some Spore/False Swipe Shroomishes soon.

Picked up my copy today. Only passed the first town so far.
I'm surprised that I have yet to encounter a bird Pokemon.
Choose Tepig as my starter.

TheOGB said:
Someone mentioned Yamask pages ago

D: WTF

When you let that kind of tone extend to every aspect of the Pokémon Universe, what you get is basically Pokémon Special.

EDIT: one of my two Ditto's got a 31 IV in S.Atk! So lucky for once.

JackEtc

teeny said:
For those of you who have just entered Pokemon for the first time since the original games, like myself, this might help.

http://gts1.ceolbox.net/pkm?cancel=4

This allows you to download all of the event pokemon for Diamond, Peal, HG and SS. I guess some may consider it cheating, but for completionists playing a single player game, I dont see the problem.

Wow, I wish I had a copy of Diamond or something so I could get these in Black D:

Wiseblade

I just noticed: when you transfer Pokémon originating from a Gen III game (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen) there's an extra description in their summary that says you obtained them "after a long travel through time" This game is full of little details.

zumphry

Banned
Wiseblade said:
I just noticed: when you transfer Pokémon originating from a Gen III game (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen) there's an extra description in their summary that says you obtained them "after a long travel through time" This game is full of little details.

Awesome. Now I'll imagine my trainer being the Doctor. (even though Burgh looks more like a Doctor than the male trainer)

ryan-ts

My oh my, level 1 to level 16 after one battle with Audino, awesome!

Anyone know how shaking bushes work? Can I just sit in an empty patch until something shakes?

ryan-ts said:

Anyone know how shaking bushes work? Can I just sit in an empty patch until something shakes?

Every 200 steps or so you'll see shaking bushes if there are any bushes around.

Acerac

Banned
Is there anyone who can help my Boldore evolve with a quick trade?

My friend code is 2537 2965 8114.

I'd really appreciate it. ^^;

Emitan

Green Scar said:
Skarmory is straight up cheating. Especially seeing as Sturdy is now god-tier ability.
Really? I always thought Skarmory was just OK.

EDIT: How did Sturdy change? It only blocked OHKO moves before, and those were banned.

eosos

Banned
ryan-ts said:

shakes every 200 steps. Just walk on the outside of some bushes till you see the shake.
edit: beat! Is tympole any good?

Acerac

Banned
Skarm has been amazing since it has come out due to its huge defense and typing.

Skarmbliss used to be THE wall combo, and is still amazing.

*Edit*

Ah yes, and with sturdy it can't be ohko'd. Not just with horn drill and the like, but at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom