• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zierath

eosos said:
Last question, is growlithe in the game? If not what fire type should I get? Thanks.
Nope, only new pokes until you beat the game. Darmanitan is the fire type to get.

Edit:
Eteric Rice said:
Since my question was missed. :(

Does this version make breeding/getting good or decent EVs/IVs any easier?
AFAIK no more so than HG/SS.

Magnus

Ok, wow, what a revelation and random pure joy to be playing this game.

My story:

I know someone who wanted to grab a DSi soon. I was planning on getting a 3DS and trying Pokemon out again in a few weeks, so I said, fuck it, I'll buy the DSi now, sell it to my friend later (at a little less than what I bought it for, win-win for both of us) and start today.

MAN.

I'm kind of supremely happy I didn't read up much on this game at all. I was crazy into RBY and GSC back in the day, and remember briefly trying out Sapphire, but losing interest (was also feeling the pressure to stop playing since I was getting older, lol). For some beyond ridiculous reason, I had just assumed that the games would look the same on the DS. What a nice surprise to see things like an improved UI, touch controls speeding up Pokemon Center/Battle UIs, battle animations (!) -- when did that happen? Probably way back on the GBA, haha -- man, I just, didn't bank on this looking and sounding so fresh (?), is that the right word? Pokemon has such weird nostalgic value and it's been so long since I played the games that I really thought I'd just see the same thing with new Pokemon running around. So glad it's been all dolled up.

Now that I've accepted the DS' audio-visual improvements to the series, I suddenly finding myself wishing it looked/sounded even better, haha, but this is great.

I've totally been bit by the bug again. Got a rush from catching a Patarat (or whatever it's called) which offered no challenge, so I'm already keenly looking forward to going after higher end ones and legendaries and shit. My feeble mind 10 years ago had trouble keeping things like Egg Moves and Breeding together (seemed so complex at the time), so I can only imagine what other new systems have been implemented into the games. I'm also keen on attacking this without a guide (man, I was a guide whore as a kid, tried to plan everything out, especially with Pokemon games) and being surprised by things, not knowing what's going to show up, etc.

YAY

Hahahaha. How my friends would relentlessly give me shit, a 26-year old dude, for playing Pokemon, but fuck it, this is great. The sound effects, the music, ah, it's 1998 again bitches!

The advent of online trading removes the one fear I had of having to trade with people in public or be the sad dude that buys two DS systems and all the games to try and catch them all, hahaha. Not that I personally have anything against those things at all, more power to players, but the environment's not for me, I guess. I'm a self-hating Pokemon lover.

I do kind of want to go through the Gen 4 games myself though, so I might borrow a DS from a friend to do the PokeLink thing to transfer over all my caught Pokemon from those games into this White I'm playing.

Advice please!

1. At this point, should I be grabbing Platinum instead of Diamond or Pearl, for the best experience?

2. If I want a Lugia in my own game, I should be going for Soul Silver, si?

3. Is discussion of downloading Event Pokemon a violation of GAF rules?

4. Between the Event Pokemon available via that method, a playthrough of say, Platinum, Soul Silver and White, and some trading, is it conceivable to actually get every Pokemon in existence, including the older rarer ones like Mew (and obviously not including the ones Nintendo has yet to release via events)?

I realize I sort of asked a version of that question before, but can't locate my post or any responses to it in this mega-thread, haha.

Thanks for tips, advice, answers for a returning player.

Really lookin' forward to this experience!

zumphry

Banned
Billychu said:
Was that actually a picture of toys? I WANT THAT PREMIER BALL. I used to have a Master Ball toy from Burger King or something, but that ball is ugly.

I dunno if that picture was one of toys, but I do think they have Premier Balls to buy. And because I searched Amazon, I really wanna go out and just buy a bunch of figures now.

Roto13

Magnus said:
1. At this point, should I be grabbing Platinum instead of Diamond or Pearl, for the best experience?

2. If I want a Lugia in my own game, I should be going for Soul Silver, si?

3. Is discussion of downloading Event Pokemon a violation of GAF rules?

4. Between the Event Pokemon available via that method, a playthrough of say, Platinum, Soul Silver and White, and some trading, is it conceivable to actually get every Pokemon in existence, including the older rarer ones like Mew (and obviously not including the ones Nintendo has yet to release via events)?
1. Probably.

2. Yes, though you can get it in HeartGold as well.

3. Not as far as I know. Probably not.

4. Well, technically you can get them all in Black and White if you're really lucky at trading, but if you want to catch most of them yourself, you'll probably need Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald too.

Plasmid

Jamesfrom818 said:
So I just started playing. Is Oshawott the best choice for a starter? I haven't looked at any of the evolutions.
I've noticed he's better kinda in the beginning, but overall my snivy helped through the later part.

SalsaShark said:
Desukaan.png

now we're talking.

Should have been
ghost.gif
/
rock.gif
instead of plain
ghost.gif
:(

KingDirk

1807 1503 1233

Help a guy out here--let me know if this is registering

And I'm sorry if I'm spamming--trying to get the most out of this awesome game!

Teknoman said:
Personally, i'd say just go with the starter you want.

My line of thinking is that a good water Pokemon is usually something good to have at all times since you'll eventually need one for Surf and the other water HMs.

Magnus

Roto13 said:
1. Probably.

2. Yes, though you can get it in HeartGold as well.

3. Not as far as I know. Probably not.

4. Well, technically you can get them all in Black and White if you're really lucky at trading, but if you want to catch most of them yourself, you'll probably need Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald too.

Thanks man!

Yeah, I just realized that too, lol

Ondore

So I've gotten decent luck so far with my natures, except now I've got 3 major members of my team (Sandile, Petilil and Sigilyph) with natures that boost the good Attack stat but kill Speed. Sad end.

Mr. Sam

Fifth gym doesn't know what hit it. Nothing stands in the way of Throh.

Tomorrow's business: evolving Yamask and Darumaka.

KingDirk said:
1807 1503 1233

Help a guy out here--let me know if this is registering

And I'm sorry if I'm spamming--trying to get the most out of this awesome game!
Whatcha looking for? I'm in need of someone to trade two Pokemon with so they'll evolve.

FC is 4040 5331 7321

I am thinking of pickup up Black/White is there any reason to get one version over the other? also can me and a friend get different versions and get the pokemon from each version?

sorry im a pokemone noob

JetBlackPanda said:
I am thinking of pickup up Black/White is there any reason to get one version over the other? also can me and a friend get different versions and get the pokemon from each version?

sorry im a pokemone noob

White is supposed to have the better exclusives.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Roto13 said:

No, this isn't the case. You can get like a majority of the RSE Pokemon in HG/SS's Safari Zone. You just need the Gen 4 games.

Izayoi

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:

sorry im a pokemone noob
White has a better version-exclusive area and personally I like the version-exclusive Pokemon better, but there is no "best" version. It's really just up to personal preference. Check the version difference charts in the OP and see which one looks more appealing to you.

If you and a friend do buy different versions, then you'll have no problems getting all of the Pokemon from each version sans the cover-legendaries. You'll have to restart for those.

Would anyone at all be willing to give me a low level CUBCHOO?

Anywhere from 1-20 I guess (My team is around lvl 15)

It is my favorite of this generation and I heard you can't catch it until much later, so I'd really like to use it throughout the game.

If anyone else can help please let me know (I'd also like to know where exactly I can find my friend code)

Thanks in advance!

zumphry

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
There should be a Pokemon that loses a type when it evolves.

Braviary should go from Normal-Flying to just Awesome

e: while on the subject, when I get a Rufflet, I'm thinking of calling it either Obawka, or Birdnchief. Or just KickPunchr.

D-Pad

Man! Route 6 and 7... The music, while not as epic, is damn catchy!

That said, I'm ready to move on. :( Almost though.

Reminds me of the RBY days my siblings and I would "keep together" on the games. We would fight every trainer at the same time, train at the same time, and just have a blast. It continued all the way up until the DS games came along, as I was the only one who had a DS at the time. Even now, with only two DSes they don't play Pokemon as much as they used to. My sister purchased and played Soul Silver on my blue Phat, while I played HG on my other one, and we went through the Elite Four and then Kanto together. Brought back a lot of memories, and was still as fun.

Edit - Yeah, I'm going to give her Black. Then when I get the 3DS my brother is going to get a version and my silver phat. We're going to have a blast. I'm positive it'll be worth starting a new adventure.

Shiggie said:
razgriz417, let me know when you're ready.

Hey sorry bout that, I got caught up on trying to get a drillbur I forgot to keep refreshing. I'll be in the room for about an hour if you're still on

Teknoman

MatthewB92 said:
Nope. You just need a rarecandybar and feed it to one of them Zen Mode Darmanitan at the relic castle.

I wonder how you would go about ev training one of those anyway...Does the attack stat just switch values with the special attack when zen activates?

Teknoman said:
I wonder how you would go about ev training one of those anyway...Does the attack stat just switch values with the special attack when zen activates?
It would need to be a mix attacker.

Edit: Just got 10000 EXP 0_0

I know this is going to spark some comments, but I've personally been with the series since the beginning (Red and Blue, at least), and I have to say that Black and White are personally my favorite main games (and, provided we get an RSE remake, probably my favorite generation).

As for what I've done so far:
1. Get Snivy (Smugleaf)
2. Get Panpour (re-named it Pansoak to match the pans- theme of the other two)
3. Get Throh (Bert)
4. Drive local Audino population to extinction and get all Pokemon to level 20
5. Destroy Lenora (that's her English name, iirc) in two moves
6. Enter Pinwheel Forest
7. ??????
8. Profit!

Zzoram said:
Does Max Repel just last longer than Repel? Or does Repel not work on higher level Pokemon?
Repels work on every pokemon that is lower level then your front pokemon. Though you can still run into shaky grass.
Also Super Repels are the best for the price.

Wow, I really don't understand how any of this online stuff works, there are so many options and words and places to go. I cant even find my friend code, anyone want to point me in the direction of that?

Also, I aint gonna be getting a Cubchoo any time soon am I? By the time you get it, is it already really high level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom