• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Zee-V70 said:
I know this is going to spark some comments, but I've personally been with the series since the beginning (Red and Blue, at least), and I have to say that Black and White are personally my favorite main games (and, provided we get an RSE remake, probably my favorite generation).

As for what I've done so far:
1. Get Snivy (Smugleaf)
2. Get Panpour (re-named it Pansoak to match the pans- theme of the other two)
3. Get Throh (Bert)
4. Drive local Audino population to extinction and get all Pokemon to level 20
5. Destroy Lenora (that's her English name, iirc) in two moves
6. Enter Pinwheel Forest
7. ??????
8. Profit!

Why would that spark comments, its pretty much the truth (when taking everything added into account).

Teknoman

robotzombie said:
Wow, I really don't understand how any of this online stuff works, there are so many options and words and places to go. I cant even find my friend code, anyone want to point me in the direction of that?

Also, I aint gonna be getting a Cubchoo any time soon am I? By the time you get it, is it already really high level?

Look in your Pal pad. Also talk to the helpers in the back of the Pokemon center, or check help on the PC.

Plasmid

JetBlackPanda said:
Thanks for the info guys!

One more question, if I pick up a dsi and my friend has a dslite we can still trade and stuff right?

I'm gonna say yes, but the ds lite doesn't have WPA encryption abilities like the dsi, so if say youre in a college dorm and youre wifi trading youre fucked.

IsayFever

Just starting out and it really seems like the game is Anti-Tepig like every trainer battle I bring him into he gets crit fainted within like 3 turns.

Shiggie

razgriz417 said:
Hey sorry bout that, I got caught up on trying to get a drillbur I forgot to keep refreshing. I'll be in the room for about an hour if you're still on
yep. I think I have a drillbur if you want.

Picked this up yesterday evening. So far: three badges and 11 hours logged.

So far 5th gen easily > 4th gen for me. But honestly anytime a new pokemon game comes out it's just an amazing playthrough no matter what.

Roto13

Zzoram said:
You can hold an evolution stone and use it in battle? Why would anyone do that?
Aren't there some stones that need to be held? Or, wait, that was non-stone evolution items, wasn't it? This game has too many rules.

Izayoi

Banned
Magnus said:
1. At this point, should I be grabbing Platinum instead of Diamond or Pearl, for the best experience?

2. If I want a Lugia in my own game, I should be going for Soul Silver, si?

3. Is discussion of downloading Event Pokemon a violation of GAF rules?

4. Between the Event Pokemon available via that method, a playthrough of say, Platinum, Soul Silver and White, and some trading, is it conceivable to actually get every Pokemon in existence, including the older rarer ones like Mew (and obviously not including the ones Nintendo has yet to release via events)?
1.) Platinum, hands-down.

2.) Doesn't matter, you get him in both. You get him earlier in SoulSilver than in HeartGold, and at a lower level. That's the only difference.

3.) Nope.

4.) Definitely. I got almost all of the old 493 through Platinum, SoulSilver, and some trading.

Zierath

There are a few single use hold items that aren't berries, such as the herbs. They usually say that they only work once though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Zzoram said:
Is this game too easy? It seems like a ton of people beat all 8 gyms and the Elite 4 in just a day.

It's pretty much one of those games that are as hard as you want it to be. I, for example, am raising a team of six, so I've played 13 hours and am only at Gym 5, while other players may simply blast through with one super-strong starter.

Delio

Zzoram said:
Is this game too easy? It seems like a ton of people beat all 8 gyms and the Elite 4 in just a day.

I just have a pretty fast pace. I was training 5 pokemon and got them all level to each other.

Shiggie

razgriz417 said:
Much appreciated Shiggy, can't believe how quickly trades go through now! Time to level up these guys and kick Lenora's ass :D
No Problem, enjoy. I forgot you can trade directly out of the PC now. So fucking cash.

I have two Pokemon in my HeartGold version that I have no idea how they got there, but they seem to have good stats. I was wondering if somebody could do the Pokemath for me to figure out the IVs/EVs-

250px-486Regigigas.png

Nature: Adamant
Level: 70
HP: 299
Attack: 323
Defense: 180
Sp. Atk: 124
Sp. Def: 181
Speed: 166

200px-475Gallade.png

Nature: Adamant
Level: 39
HP: 123
Attack: 137
Defense: 77
Sp. Atk: 60
Sp. Def: 116
Speed: 89

Thanks in advance.

Zertez

Zzoram said:
Some are going to fly through the game in a day even if it is tough for a Pokemon game. Once you know the mechanics and which Pokemon to use, the game becomes much easier. I know that is pretty much a given, but some have researched the game since its release in Japan or have played an imported version.

Having said that, yes the game is too easy. Pokemon that are counters to the current gym are found right next to the gym or given to you outright 50 ft from the gym. Exp flows quickly and you can level a new Pokemon in no time. The game is still very enjoyable and it may be my favorite generation, time will tell.

Zzoram said:

Pokemon games have never been terribly hard. Honestly though I could never see myself beating one from beginning to end in a single day. I put in 9 hours yesterday and quit after getting the third badge. I guess there are ways to blast through the games, but there's so much to do in these games that blasting through seems kind of sad to me.

Question: are there ways to take advantage of the ground shaking/rare pokemon system to get tons of exp?

Really weird glitch. I caught a Roggenrola last night, and checked my PokeDex today, and it says I've obtained Roggenrola, Boldore and Giglith. Did this happen to anyone else?

Billychu said:
Had to restart 10 times to get a female Oshawott. Grr...

Only 10? It took me 14 to get one. Didn't help that the first 4 times I did it I didn't save right before I opened the box...

Shiggie said:
No Problem, enjoy. I forgot you can trade directly out of the PC now. So fucking cash.

Yea such a much needed change, makes life so much easier. I really don't like that the L and R buttons are useless now. I loved L=A in HeartGold. O and I just killed a lvl 12 audino, the scraggy is now lvl 11 o_O I feel so bad murdering em all but they're so efficient...

Roto13

HappyBivouac said:
Pokemon games have never been terribly hard. Honestly though I could never see myself beating one from beginning to end in a single day. I put in 9 hours yesterday and quit after getting the third badge. I guess there are ways to blast through the games, but there's so much to do in these games that blasting through seems kind of sad to me.

Question: are there ways to take advantage of the ground shaking/rare pokemon system to get tons of exp?
You can make the ground shake or the grass move by just walking next to it for a while. It's usually an Audino which is worth a crapton of EXP.

OK, so I remember someone a couple of days ago say how they had a glitch with a doubles fight where they couldn't choose another Pokemon and they were stuck and had to reset their DS. Well, I'm not sure if it was ever addressed since the thread moves really fast, but it's NOT a glitch.

For some reason when you have 2 or 3 Pokemon faint in one round in a 2/3 fight, switching Pokemon back in is not explained well at all. First, after you have this happen to you, you have to choose another Pokemon that is still able to fight, and you have to physically switch that one with one of the fainted Pokemon. So in other words, you are replacing the slot in your backpack first. The last Pokemon, when you choose to switch will automatically take you back to the fight.

Before I had figured this out I thought I had to restart. Thankfully I only lost 10 minutes but when it happened again shortly after again I knew this wouldn't of went through testing as a glitch.

Zertez said:
Having said that, yes the game is too easy.

Battles being slightly more challenging + random rival ambushes but the experience system being revamped make it just right imo.

Also you can't even compare playthroughs. Some people try to catch everything as they go along while some will beat the game first then go for pokédex completion, some people actually don't wait for the post-game to start building competitive teams... There's

illadelph

razgriz417 said:
Only 10? It took me 14 to get one. Didn't help that the first 4 times I did it I didn't save right before I opened the box...

haha wow I opened the game up, put it in my DS, turned it on a single time and picked out my female Oshawott.
just to make everyone feel bad

Why is it that you still can't deposit and withdraw on the same PC screen? It is really annoying trying to assemble a team sometimes. Unless I suck and there's an easier way?

Also, Throh is awesome.

Zzoram

illadelph said:
haha wow I opened the game up, put it in my DS, turned it on a single time and picked out my female Oshawott.

Why is it that you still can't deposit and withdraw on the same PC screen? It is really annoying trying to assemble a team sometimes. Unless I suck and there's an easier way?

Also, Throh is awesome.

That's always bothered me. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to fix that.

illadelph said:

Also, Throh is awesome.

The third option is move pokemon.

Zertez

illadelph said:

Why is it that you still can't deposit and withdraw on the same PC screen?
It is really annoying trying to assemble a team sometimes. Unless I suck and there's an easier way?

Also, Throh is awesome.
Why not? Just use the move function and shift Pokemon in your box into your party.

dvolovets

I called my Snivy "Smuggy"...the guy just looks like a smug little bastard. Haha. **Great** game so far, I'm really enjoying it. Pokemon is definitely not one of my favorite franchises (simply because I didn't have any Nintendo portables pre-DS), but I like this one much more than Diamond/Pearl, even though I liked those games as well. The battles move at a nice clip.

Plasmid

Zzoram said:

I just got done, victini serperior and Tranquill helped me out most of the way along with a few others, i'm at i think 120 pokedex pre-national.

The ending was actually really great, i've still got to get all the roaming pokemon, and find the others, along with the national dex.

Andrew.
Badges: 8
Pokedex: 122
Time: 21:31.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom