• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Achtius said:
Doesn't matter. How about you? :p

My FC: 1205 8577 8884

mudkyp said:
Okay just got the Archen egg (had to ride all the way back from Cold Storage to the breeding place) and I'm ready to trade.

FC is 0819 3102 7707

Sorry for the delay guys,

My FC is: 2150 7411 2086

I'll be in the Wifi Lobby in 3 minutes.

Magnus

Alright, so I don't know shit about breeding, 'adamant/hasty/bashful/coked-up' nature stuff, egg moves or anything like that. I have Gen I knowledge, for the most part. I'd like to really play this blind and discover things on my own, but am I going to be shooting myself in the foot hardcore if I don't research things and map them out? Half the fun for me right now is going to be discovering things by surprise, getting caught off guard by surprise evolutions, and the like.

Feep

Banned
Magnus said:
Alright, so I don't know shit about breeding, 'adamant/hasty/bashful/coked-up' nature stuff, egg moves or anything like that. I have Gen I knowledge, for the most part. I'd like to really play this blind and discover things on my own, but am I going to be shooting myself in the foot hardcore if I don't research things and map them out? Half the fun for me right now is going to be discovering things by surprise, getting caught off guard by surprise evolutions, and the like.
Don't bother. All that stuff is for insane min-maxers who obsess over every mathematical detail. Just relax and have fun.

SHOTS FIRED, MIN-MAXERS

Magnus said:
You'll be killing your fun and sending yourself into mindless obsessive breeding for perfect stats. Just play it blind, the only place that stuff will matter is in serious competitive battling.

Magnus said:

natures, egg moves etc are nothing to sweat about during the main game play through unless you want to breed some kind of dream team to use.

Magnus said:
You have to do research for the IV's, HP types, egg moves, EV's and just normal moves. If you plan to do EV training and stuff you will have to look it up.

Edit:Yea don't do any of this stuff in the main game. Don't waste your time until you beat the main story and have nothing to do :p

Gravijah

Magnus said:

Play, have fun. Don't worry about that crap.

Suairyu

Banned
Magnus said:
I was in your shoes, having only played Red and the first third of Gold. Ignore it. All of it.

I'm only making note of natures (not even thinking about the invisible stats) because I'm doing a complete replacement of my team just before gym six. I figured it'd be a good time to learn the basics of inheritance when it comes to breeding and hopefully end up with a team good for casual competitive play between friends if I wanted to go that way. Not even thinking of hardcore competitive.

EDIT - fuck just boxed my entire team, forgetting about who was holding what item. I need to be more careful.

Zierath

If anyone has a Vullaby or Mandibuzz to trade me that would be great. I can trade any other breedable Pokémon from any generation for it.

Feep said:
Don't bother. All that stuff is for insane min-maxers who obsess over every mathematical detail. Just relax and have fun.

SHOTS FIRED, MIN-MAXERS

Yeah that was really necessary. It's not like we didn't have Roto13 in here to go on about "autistic children" or whatever.

Magnus: Just play through the game. When you're done with the main quest and some of the post game look that stuff up and get into it if you're interested. Trying to do it before beating the game, without access to everything you need, would make it more time-consuming than it already is.

Feep

Banned
Holy Order Sol said:
Yeah that was really necessary. It's not like we didn't have Roto13 in here to go on about "autistic children" or whatever.

Magnus: Just play through the game. When you're done with the main quest and some of the post game look that stuff up and get into it if you're interested. Trying to do it before beating the game, without access to everything you need, would make it more time-consuming than it already is.
dealwithit.gif

Roto13

Holy Order Sol said:
You people are the reason tournaments aren't fun.

Teknoman

Speaking of tournaments, dont forget to sign up for Firestorm's double battle in the community section.

Also lets get some casual battles going.

sigh why cant things be as simple as" i like/dislike x", "i do/don't do x" instead we "I dont do x and those who do are pathetic stupid manbearpigs" -_-.

Roto13

Suairyu said:
"You make the tournaments not fun because you play the game better than I do"?
Breeding the same Pokemon over and over and over again until it's the right nature, then selectively battling the same Pokemon over and over and over again to get the right EVs is not skill. It's a grind. Too much of a grind for all but the most obsessive Pokemon players. "Hey, don't want to put a hundred hours into building a team? Shame you can't play, then."

samoset

is there any way to filter on the GTS for what Pokemon the traders want in turn. I'm tired of everyone asking for a Reshiram or Zekrom on even the simplest trades.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Roto13 said:
You people are the reason tournaments aren't fun.

Flashback to that episode of 1up Show, where the poor little girl was scoffed at for using a full loadout of her 1 pokemon monster because she thought it was 'cute' at a tournament event. So adorable, and yet those asshats that built uber breeded, stat heavy pokemon that broke her spirit ruined her fun. :(

Roto13 said:
Breeding the same Pokemon over and over and over again until it's the right nature, then selectively battling the same Pokemon over and over and over again to get the right EVs is not skill. It's a grind. Too much of a grind for all but the most obsessive Pokemon players. "Hey, don't want to put a hundred hours into building a team? Shame you can't play, then."

It's a J-RPG. Bar the actual battles between human opponents, everything is a fucking grind.

Brandon F said:
Flashback to that episode of 1up Show, where the poor little girl was scoffed at for using a full loadout of her 1 pokemon monster because she thought it was 'cute' at a tournament event. So adorable, and yet those asshats that built uber breeded, stat heavy pokemon that broke her spirit ruined her fun. :(

And yet I hate this forced tear-jerker story because even if it wasn't worded that way it makes most people who read it get the impression that being competitive = being a "asshat" to everyone who does not. News flash: I don't actually care about who plays what, I just do my thing and either win or lose. Your money, your game, you do whatever you want etc.

The point is there are all kinds of players in this thread and it's been overall pretty fun no matter how each person here approached the game. Roto13 is pretty much the only guy that just won't give it a rest and go on about "HURR HURR AUTISTIC" and "getting both versions = messing with the clock in AC", the latter being beyond competitive vs casual and more like "I have a problem with every single person who doesn't play Pokémon like I do".

Andrefpvs

samoset said:
is there any way to filter on the GTS for what Pokemon the traders want in turn. I'm tired of everyone asking for a Reshiram or Zekrom on even the simplest trades.

No. I can't believe Nintendo hasn't sorted this out yet. It was a very noticeable missing feature in Gen IV as well.

Would make trading on the GTS so much easier.

Roto13

Holy Order Sol said:
It's a J-RPG. Bar the actual battles betweens human opponents, everything is a fucking grind.
No, actually, there's a pretty interesting assortment of moves in Pokemon, and some pretty tricky things you can pull off if you think about it for a while. Not to mention specific type combinations of Pokemon, and how they work together to create a balanced team. I'd love for strategizing to be all I need in a tournament of Level 50s. That'd be awesome.

Roto13 said:
Lets say you manage a sports team. Who would you rather have for your team? The guy who is a natural athlete, with genetic traits that make him prime for a role on your team, or just some average joe? Furthermore, how would you train your team: With the best technology, techniques and trainers, or just let them do whatever they want. You're complaining about a completely legitimate way to get a competitive edge. The benefits all this obsessing grants are significant. They're basically required for competitive battles and all you can really do is deal with it. If you can't keep up with the rest, then you have no place competing with them.

Roto13

AmICoolYet said:
Lets say you manage a sports team. Who would you rather have for your team? The guy who is a natural athlete, with genetic traits that make him prime for a role on your team, or just some average joe? Furthermore, how would you train your team: With the best technology, techniques and trainers, or just let them do whatever they want. You're complaining about a completely legitimate way to get a competitive edge. The benefits all this obsessing grants are significant. They're basically required for competitive battles and all you can really do is deal with it. If you can't keep up with the rest, then you have no place competing with them.
This is the problem. Managing a sports team is a job. I'm not interested in making Pokemon into a career.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My only real issue with the game, is that until you hit the Elite Four(at least in my experience with LeafGreen) the game is a total slog. Especially if you just stick to a few main Pokeymen to push through the plot.

XP is dished out so rapidly that for almost the entirety of the game I was overleveled by sometimes dozens of levels(especially my starter). Those Elite Four though...really turned me around on my feelings toward that game, just wish there was a hardcore mode to make the dozens of hours of trivial fights leading up to that point matter somewhat.

But yea, separate argument I guess.

Roto13 said:
This is the problem. Managing a sports team is a job. I'm not interested in making Pokemon into a career.
Ok, so you're not. The people who enter tournaments generally are willing to spend the necessary time. Going back to the sports analogy, you're like a casual club sports team, complaining that your team sucks when playing against pros. You're at a disadvantage if you don't use these mechanics, it's just part of the game.

Gravijah said:
Hey, people. Let's not get into this silly argument.

yes please, it's ridiculously silly, let people play the game however they want, if you consider there behavior obsessive and unfair then whatever just dont face these people, simple as that.

Feep

Banned
To be fair, if we're using a sports analogy, pros do not go down to amateur level events and wipe the fucking floor with everyone, for a variety of reasons: they don't have time, it would be bad for their reputation, et cetera.

This isn't the case with Pokemon tournaments. There really *are* no casual tournaments (except those organized between friends), and even if there were, there's no real way to bar people who IV-train like motherfuckers from entering, and thus ruining all the fun. It's like letting a grandmaster into a high school chess tournament. The grandmaster is an asshole and should get the fuck out.

jman2050

Roto13 said:

Don't go to tournaments, only play casually with people you know, and if you want to focus on battle strategy play online on a simulator.

If you want to go to an actual bonafide tournament and actually want to win, then you need to play at their level. If you're not willing to do that, then just don't go. No use complaining about it.

Feep said:
This isn't the case with Pokemon tournaments. There really *are* no casual tournaments (except those organized between friends), and even if there were, there's no real way to bar people who IV-train like motherfuckers from entering, and thus ruining all the fun. It's like letting a grandmaster into a high school chess tournament. The grandmaster is an asshole and should get the fuck out.

You're looking at it the wrong way. Professional sports players play their sport for a living, something that can't be said for any person playing in Pokemon tournaments. That's a completely different environment altogether and can't be compared to anything else no matter how hard one tries.

OK people Unova pokedex almost complete. I need the following pokemon.
Swoobat
Throh
Petilil or Lilligant
Solosis, Duosion or Reuniclus
Cryogonal
Cubchoo or Beartic

Tell me what you want and I'll try to breed it.

Feep said:
To be fair, if we're using a sports analogy, pros do not go down to amateur level events and wipe the fucking floor with everyone, for a variety of reasons: they don't have time, it would be bad for their reputation, et cetera.

I'm not sure what the point is here. If someone plays the game better than you, they deserve to wipe the floor with you. If you're entering a tournament, don't you want to win? It's about competing, and you should be using whatever you can to get a competitive edge.

larvi

Roto13 said:

That's what makes pokemon a strategy rpg, planning and preparation affect the outcome of the battles and that's why I play them. There are plenty of other games that only require skills in combat to make the difference as to whether you win or lose, in fact most of the video games today are like that.

And for sports games, I've always preferred the team management oriented games over the on the field action ones and again those are in short supply.

Feep

Banned
AmICoolYet said:
I'm not sure what the point is here. If someone plays the game better than you, they deserve to wipe the floor with you. If you're entering a tournament, don't you want to win? It's about competing, and you should be using whatever you can to get a competitive edge.
There's the issue. Right there. There are clearly two kinds of people of play Pokemon: those who love competition and enter tournaments to win, and casual players who just like going to tournaments to have fun.

Because you can't bar the crazy competitive folk from entering, there's only one "division" of tournaments. The casuals are completely unable to have fun because the hardcore people fuck them up.

The solution is for hardcore competitive people to not enter tournaments clearly meant to be casual and just for fun, but that's never gonna happen, is it?

Roto13 said:
The truth hurts. Deal with it B-].

Feep said:
There's the issue. Right there. There are clearly two kinds of people of play Pokemon: those who love competition and enter tournaments to win, and casual players who just like going to tournaments to have fun.

Because you can't bar the crazy competitive folk from entering, there's only one "division" of tournaments. The casuals are completely unable to have fun because the hardcore people fuck them up.

The solution is for hardcore competitive people to not enter tournaments clearly meant to be casual and just for fun, but that's never gonna happen, is it?
If you enter a tournament for fun and not to actually compete to win, why would you be upset about losing?

Feep said:

this i'm ok with complaining about and IV training is where i always draw the line but complaining about the entire practice because some go to tournaments seem crazy.

jman2050

Roto13 said:

If you're going to play in an environment that is clearly intended for competition with actual tangible rewards, then don't whine and cry when the people you play are actually, you know, competitive.

Just avoid those environments and play for fun like most everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom