• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayishiki

MatthewB92 said:
OK people Unova pokedex almost complete. I need the following pokemon.
Swoobat
Throh
Petilil or Lilligant
Solosis, Duosion or Reuniclus
Cryogonal
Cubchoo or Beartic

Tell me what you want and I'll try to breed it.

I can give you Swoobat, Throh,Petilil, Cubchoo,Cryogonal and Solosis if you still need them.

Kintaco said:
I'm at the third Gym, and what I'm finding is that I usually need to grind once I get to a new Gym in order to stand a chance against the Gym leaders. Is this the normal process or am I doing something wrong? Also I just grind on wild Pokemon outside the city, is this wrong?

it depends, how much pokemon are you trying to raise at this time, do you both to level up by a bit before progressing to a next gym? if you go through just battling trainers you are likely to just be below the gym leaders each time.

Domstercool

Whoa, my Pokemon Black glitched! This is suppose to be Zorua that I got from trading online. It has been working fine until just now, this second basically. You see my 1st pokemon died on the 4th Gym battle, so I brought out Zorua, and hold and behold it's Tinburr, WTF, wonder why that happened o_O

pokeblackmm7w.jpg

Kintaco

Roto13 said:
If you want to grind, run next to some grass for a little bit and wait for it to shake so you can slaughter the Audino inside for a nice chunk of EXP. You're probably not doing anything wrong. It's generally a good idea to have three or four Pokemon you focus on raising, and making sure they have a nice variety of types. Are your levels lower than those of the random trainers you run into? Do you run from a lot of wild Pokemon and avoid trainer battles? Because you should probably be fighting pretty much every fight you find.
I don't really run from battles or trainers, the random trainers seem about the same level as my pokemon if not a little lower. I also carry 6 pokemon with me, maybe this is slowing my leveling a bit? I'll try the Audino thing, is it only in the higher grass where this happens?

JackEtc

So, with PAX Tomorrow, I'd like to know what Black and White can do if I just leave it on in my pocket with my DS closed. What will happen? Do I have to leave it on a certain screen?

Teknoman

I dont think EVs would be such a big deal if they made it easy to keep track of, like they started to do with color coding natures.

Also isnt there an official name for EVs now? Saw something posted on Serebii, but I forgot the name.

Achtius

Domstercool said:
Whoa, my Pokemon Black glitched! This is suppose to be Zorua that I got from trading online. It has been working fine until just now, this second basically. You see my 1st pokemon died on the 4th Gym battle, so I brought out Zorua, and hold and behold it's Tinburr, WTF, wonder why that happened o_O

[I MG]http://www.abload.de/img/pokeblackmm7w.jpg[/IMG]

That's his ability i think

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Illusion_(ability)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Suairyu said:
I think some people are confused over what random means. It's possible for legendaries to be really hard to capture yet you waltzing in with a lowly pokéball and capturing them first attempt because its a random calculation based off a few constants.
To be fair, I think the cover star is designed to be a little easier. I did manage to catch it twice in a row with a maximum of three balls thrown. Sure it could be random luck, but still for me marks the easiest legendary catch in a long time.

Victini on the other hand was pure luck simply because it was my last ball.

Roto13

D-Pad said:
You're gonna be throwing it at a shiny Patrat. ;[

Same here, actually, which is why I was planning on using it this game. Now everyone's saying there's only one roamer this time so maybe I'll chuck it then, but that seems like such a waste.

Granted, throwing the master ball at anything feels like "such a waste" to me, might as well chuck it at the version's mascot. > >
I'll tell you what's going to happen to me. I'm going to plan to use the Master Ball on the one (thank god it's only one) roaming legendary. Then I'm actually going to find it and say "Hmm, I wonder if I can manage to catch it without using the Master Ball." Then it's going to run away and I'm going to say "Damn, I should have used the Master Ball. Next time." Then I'll find it again and say "Hmm, I wonder if I can manage to catch it without using the Master Ball." Repeat until it's in my PC in a Dusk Ball, never to come out again.

Domstercool said:
That's what they do. It's their special ability to take on the form of the pokemon placed after it in your team.

Teknoman

Domstercool said:

pokeblackmm7w.jpg

Thats not a glitch.

"To protect themselves from danger, they hide their true identities by transforming into people and Pokémon."

Roto13

Kintaco said:
I don't really run from battles or trainers, the random trainers seem about the same level as my pokemon if not a little lower. I also carry 6 pokemon with me, maybe this is slowing my leveling a bit? I'll try the Audino thing, is it only in the higher grass where this happens?
They live in the same grass that's on every route. (The light grass, and maybe the dark grass too.) They only show up when the grass is shaking. Walk back and forth near some grass until it starts to shake. SHouldn't take too long.

Alternatively, you can try trading your Pokemon for similar Pokemon on the GTS so you can get the EXP boost that comes with using a traded Pokemon.

Roto13 said:

It's been discussed before and I've already stated it but yeah I'd like invisible numbers being made visible.

Also I never cared about the developer's intent when playing a game because I just don't have a reason to. Depth emerges from the players' attempt to solve the game and pushing its boundaries in doing so.

I mean you're probably right about their intent in this case (IVs), but I'd argue that if you and your friend caught a similar Pokémon but yours ended up being shit compared to his even though you didn't do anything wrong, you'd have a right to be annoyed by it. Grinding has nothing to do with skill, but neither does getting shafted by a random number.

Eteric Rice

Teknoman said:
I dont think EVs would be such a big deal if they made it easy to keep track of, like they started to do with color coding natures.

Also isnt there an official name for EVs now? Saw something posted on Serebii, but I forgot the name.

The only thing that annoys me is IV. Getting pokemon with perfect IVs takes a crazy amount of time.

EVs I don't mind. Breeding for natures and moves, I don't mind.

IVs I hate. :(

larvi

Kintaco said:
I'm at the third Gym, and what I'm finding is that I usually need to grind once I get to a new Gym in order to stand a chance against the Gym leaders. Is this the normal process or am I doing something wrong? Also I just grind on wild Pokemon outside the city, is this wrong?

A lot of the early gyms it depends on how your starter matches up as to whether or not you need to grind a bit or not. I usualy find you can go partially into the next area to find some new trainers so I don't have to rely on wild pokemon as much. So far I've also found that B/W seem to have new pokemon that you can catch in the area around the gyms that match up well with the gym leader's type which is something else you can do to help.

If this is the gym in the big city there is also an office building near the pokemon center with a bunch of trainers in it to help level up

Roto13

Holy Order Sol said:
It's been discussed before and I've already stated it but yeah I'd like invisible numbers being made visible.

Also I never cared about the developer's intent when playing a game because I just don't have a reason to. Depth emerges from the players' attempt to solve the game and pushing its boundaries in doing so.
And this is why playing Mario Kart DS with strangers sucks so much. :p

kiryani said:
Took me 27 Ultra balls and it only had 1 hp remaining :(
Lol I caught victini with only three great balls. While its health was at half full. (It was not a critical capture either!)

Got 5badges and at this 6th badge town. My team so far.

Servine Lv 35
Swoobat Lv 35
Pignite Lv 32
Conkeldurr Lv 34
Dewott Lv 33
Pidove Lv 8 (For fly. I did'nt want to waste it on Swoobat.)
Playtime: 17:30
Seen: 76 Caught 43

Suairyu

Banned
WAT
WAT
WAT

I put Sigilyph into the daycare centre to breed.

She came out, having learnt a new move and thus having forgot another.

The move she has forgotten is Fly.

Ilúvatar

Eteric Rice said:
The only thing that annoys me is IV. Getting pokemon with perfect IVs takes a crazy amount of time.

EVs I don't mind. Breeding for natures and moves, I don't mind.

IVs I hate. :(

I don't hate the concept of IVs, but at least make it easier to determine what they are. Determining the IVs of something should not require me Rare Candy-ing it up a bunch of levels and then plugging it into a calculator online.

Shiggie

Suairyu said:
WAT
WAT
WAT

Thats been happening since gen 1.

Teknoman

Suairyu said:
WAT
WAT
WAT

Game changer.

Seriously though, that should be pretty helpful in the long run, before the move deleter anyway. Does it automatically overwrite the fourth move or something?

EDIT: Dont let all the talk about hidden numbers and breeding scare you away from the tournament. Its always fun to see other people's teams anyway.

btkadams

Why would anyone like that feature? I never leave my pokemon in daycares because It infuriates me when it comes out and its best move has been replaced with a stupid bullshit move.

Suairyu

Banned
Shiggie said:
Thats been happening since gen 1.
Breeding wasn't in gen 1, so I have no idea how you're saying that with such sincerity.

And regarding forgetting moves, the rule has always been you cannot forget HMs without a move deleter which I don't think existed in gen 1 either.
btkadams said:
Why would anyone like that feature? I never leave my pokemon in daycares because It infuriates me when it comes out and its best move has been replaced with a stupid bullshit move.
There are move deleters and move relearners for such problems.

Not that it matters, daycare should only be for breeding or filling out the Pokédex. Or Magicarp.

Ilúvatar said:
I don't hate the concept of IVs, but at least make it easier to determine what they are. Determining the IVs of something should not require me Rare Candy-ing it up a bunch of levels and then plugging it into a calculator online.

It's generally a pain, but there is an in-game way to determine your highest IV and its range. Bulbapedia claims that this NPC is now in the battle subway.

Roto13

Suairyu said:
Breeding wasn't in gen 1, so I have no idea how you're saying that with such sincerity.

And regarding forgetting moves, the rule has always been you cannot forget HMs without a move deleter which I don't think existed in gen 1 either.
The Day Care was in generation 1.

Suairyu said:

There was a day care in gen 1 though so it was still there.

Very late.

btkadams

Suairyu said:

There was a daycare in gen 1. You just couldn't put two in at once.

Suairyu

Banned
Roto13 said:
The Day Care was in generation 1.
Son of a bitch really? How did I miss that as a kid? Or maybe I forgot.

BUT SURELY the rule was always HMs were not forgotten?

EDIT - bwahaha completely comment raped for mocking another's sincerity. I deserved that!

BUT STILL:
Bublapedia said:
Many Trainers regard Day Cares as an inferior method of raising Pokémon for several reasons. Aside from the cost, which can rack up quickly for lower-level Pokémon (as they require less experience to gain a level than a higher-leveled one), Pokémon will not evolve while in the Day Care, even if they meet the requirements to. The moves Pokémon learn while in the Day Care are also based solely on level-up: if a Pokémon is raised to a level at which a new move would be learned, the topmost move in its current moveset (unless it is an HM move, in which case the game will find the first move that is not) will be deleted, and the new move will be placed at the bottom of the moveset. This may result in a Pokémon learning unwanted moves, while forgetting ones which were carefully selected for it.

Ilúvatar

Suairyu said:

It was just south of Cerulean. Moves could be overwritten, but I'm not sure what the rules of what got overwritten were.

Roto13

Suairyu said:

It was just south of Cerulean City. How DID you miss that? :p

Suairyu

Banned
So, confirmed:

0 - Crow tastes okay.
1 - There was a daycare in Gen 1.
2 - It was almost-useless.
3 - You shouldn't be able to have a HM over-written in daycare.
4 - Black and White are game changers yet again.

I don't recall HMs getting erased in Day Care in Gen 1 either...

Also I don't think I'll enjoy anything in this game more than seeing an burned, cursed Pokémon use a contact move on my Ferrothorn with Rocky Helmet.

EDIT: Oh wait I should try a sand storm with that.

I'm quite sure that the daycare in generation one would delete your first move whenever a pokemon learned a new one, shifting all of the others up. HM moves could be forgotten in this way, and it was the only way to do it.

btkadams

Suairyu said:
So, confirmed:

0 - Crow tastes okay.
1 - There was a daycare in Gen 1.
2 - It was almost-useless.
3 - You shouldn't be able to have a HM over-written in daycare.
4 - Black and White are game changers yet again.
No, I'm pretty sure you could have HM's overwritten in daycare for a while if not since the beginning. This is definitely not new with black/white.

larvi

btkadams said:

I haven't confirmed with B/W but in previous versions it replaced the moves from the 1st one down. So if there was a move or move(s) you wanted to keep put them at the bottom of the move list, then pull the pokemon out of day care ever few levels and repeat if it has learned any new moves. I've always been able to keep the moves I wanted using this method.

Roto13

Does anyone know if the Dusk Ball is useful in Pinwheel Forest? I'm not sure if that counts as a dark place.

EDIT: Oh, it's pretty clearly evening there now, so I guess not. Boo. I'll come back for that legendary later.

Suairyu

Banned
btkadams said:
No, I'm pretty sure you could have HM's overwritten in daycare for a while if not since the beginning. This is definitely not new with black/white.
Bulbapedia said:
In Generation I, the Day Care man will not accept any Pokémon that knows an HM move.
Bulbapedia said:
The moves Pokémon learn while in the Day Care are also based solely on level-up: if a Pokémon is raised to a level at which a new move would be learned, the topmost move in its current moveset (unless it is an HM move, in which case the game will find the first move that is not) will be deleted, and the new move will be placed at the bottom of the moveset.
GAME CHANGER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom