• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:
this i'm ok with complaining about and IV training is where i always draw the line but complaining about the entire practice because some go to tournaments seem crazy.
I...I don't know what you just said.

AmICoolYet said:
If you enter a tournament for fun and not to actually compete to win, why would you be upset about losing?
There's a difference between having fun, and getting utterly annihilated. If you went out and played basketball with some friends, and you lost, whatever, it was close, you had fun. If the fucking Orlando Magic came in and beat you 110-4, would that still be fun?

(Okay, let's say Orlando Magic B-Squad, because it would still be fun getting to meet Dwight Howard)

Feep said:

you seem to be complaining about the act of breeding for the "right" nature, Ev training etc because some "douches' ruin the the fun for others at pokemon tournaments and I agreed that IV training is a bit much.

gar3

So Amazon shipped my US copy of White this afternoon USPS. Hmm. Prime member here. I'm hoping I get it by Saturday. Having it arrive after the weekend would suck :-(

Gravijah

gar3 said:
So Amazon shipped my US copy of White this afternoon USPS. Hmm. Prime member here. I'm hoping I get it by Saturday. Having it arrive after the weekend would suck :-(

Doesn't prime have cheap 1 day shipping? What did you use?

Feep

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:
you seem to be complaining about the act of breeding for the "right" nature, Ev training etc because some "douches" ruin the the fun for others at pokemon tournaments.
No, I'm arguing that hyper-competitive IV people will essentially ruin all tournaments for casual players, even if the tournament is meant to be casual and for fun. Like I said, it would require hardcore players to not be assholes and realize that they shouldn't enter certain arenas.

Anyway, whatever. I'm lucky in that I have a good sizable friend-base to play with, but some don't.

jman2050

Feep said:
There's a difference between having fun, and getting utterly annihilated. If you went out and played basketball with some friends, and you lost, whatever, it was close, you had fun. If the fucking Orlando Magic came in and beat you 110-4, would that still be fun?

(Okay, let's say Orlando Magic B-Squad, because it would still be fun getting to meet Dwight Howard)

I mean, if you make it clear to someone who spends their time making good teams that you're playing for fun and want a casual match and they make it clear they just want to beat your ass, then they're just being assholes.

If you're playing in a sanctioned tournament with a prize and try to say that you're only playing for fun and want a casual match, you're gonna get laughed out of the building, and rightly so.

Feep said:
No, I'm arguing that hyper-competitive IV people will essentially ruin all tournaments for casual players, even if the tournament is meant to be casual and for fun. Like I said, it would require hardcore players to not be assholes and realize that they shouldn't enter certain arenas.

Anyway, whatever. I'm lucky in that I have a good sizable friend-base to play with, but some don't.

Well all I can say is to just be on the lookout for those guys and either bar them from entering or force them to play down to the competition's level.

Roto13

AmICoolYet said:
The truth hurts. Deal with it B-].
The truth is that grinding is not a skill.
DoomXploder7 said:
this i'm ok with complaining about and IV training is where i always draw the line but complaining about the entire practice because some go to tournaments seem crazy.
If there was a way to separate them, I'd have no problem. I said earlier that buying both versions of a Pokemon game is like messing with the clock in Animal Crossing, but neither of those things affect me, so I don't care a whole lot. But the competitive aspect of Pokemon is hurt by the fact that there are people out there that will put an unreasonable amount of time into raising the perfect master race Pokemon that will rape everyone not willing to grind for a hundred hours. It turns it into a whole other game. That's a problem, either with the style of play or the game design, because it means the vast majority people can't take part in what would otherwise be a big part of the Pokemon experience. And I'm not just talking about those crazy major tournaments. The GAF tournament is going to be the same thing.

Feep said:

This seems to be beyond you, but there's a difference between having fun, and getting utterly annihilated. If you went out and played basketball with some friends, and you lost, whatever, it was close, you had fun. If the fucking Orlando Magic came in and beat you 110-4, would that still be fun?
No need to insult my intelligence, honestly. If you don't stand a chance against [Pokemon Master], then don't get into situation where you have to play against [Pokemon Master]. If that means excluding a certain friend or someone from a casual just-for-fun tournament then that's what you have to do. Like jman said, it's all part of the strategy aspect of the game that is very fun for some people. It's how they play the game, and it gives them an edge in battles. There isn't a solution to this problem other than: Don't fucking battle people who play to win if you're not also playing to win.

Roto13 said:
The truth is that grinding is not a skill.
It's not about the grind, it's about formulating a strategy and perfecting your arsenal to get stronger. The grinding is tedious and annoying, I totally agree. But, like many things in life, the only way to excel is through hard work.

gar3

Gravijah said:
Doesn't prime have cheap 1 day shipping? What did you use?
When I ordered it the other day, Amazon stated it wouldn't be in stock until this Saturday. I just used my "free" two-day shipping option since it wouldn't matter about this weekend. Now, had I known Amazon would re-stock this afternoon I would have certainly bumped it up to one-day and taken the minor pay hit.

Since it shipped today I "should" get it on Saturday, just strange Amazon shipped it USPS. Usually I get Saturday deliveries FedEx. Oh well, whatever will be will be.

red13th

I can't find Black/White for sale anywhere in here :( I called stores and they should have them by next week, but I was planning a 48h Pokemon marathon on the weekend.
At least I won't miss on the event Victini... I want to catch one with a good nature. Probably Adamant (I suppose he's better played physical)? Or maybe mixed, I love mixed sweepers.

Gravijah

Roto13 said:
If there was a way to separate them, I'd have no problem. I said earlier that buying both versions of a Pokemon game is like messing with the clock in Animal Crossing, but neither of those things affect me, so I don't care a whole lot.

That's a... strange comparison. I actually end up buying both of versions so I can replay the secondary version whenever I want. I enjoy playing through the story a few times a year.

gar3 said:
When I ordered it the other day, Amazon stated it wouldn't be in stock until this Saturday. I just used my "free" two-day shipping option since it wouldn't matter about this weekend. Now, had I known Amazon would re-stock this afternoon I would have certainly bumped it up to one-day and taken the minor pay hit.

Since it shipped today I "should" get it on Saturday, just strange Amazon shipped it USPS. Usually I get Saturday deliveries FedEx. Oh well, whatever will be will be.

I dunno, everything I get from Amazon is super fast. I had something shipped from Arizona->Florida in like one day and I used like 5-8 day shipping!

Feep

Banned
AmICoolYet said:
No need to insult my intelligence, honestly. If you don't stand a chance against [Pokemon Master], then don't get into situation where you have to play against [Pokemon Master]. If that means excluding a certain friend or someone from a casual just-for-fun tournament then that's what you have to do. Like jman said, it's all part of the strategy aspect of the game that is very fun for some people. It's how they play the game, and it gives them an edge in battles. There isn't a solution to this problem other than: Don't fucking battle people who play to win if you're not also playing to win.
Yeah, I'm sorry, I edited the post before you quoted to make it less harsh. I was too late!

Well, it's difficult to just "exclude" people. If someone wants to hold a casual tournament, the only way this could happen is if they ONLY allow friends to enter, and most don't have enough friends to fill out a proper tournament. Otherwise, you won't know who's hardcore and who isn't. It should be up to the hardcore guy, not the tournament organizers, to do what's proper.

Gravijah said:
That's a... strange comparison. I actually end up buying both of versions so I can replay the secondary version whenever I want. I enjoy playing through the story a few times a year.

Indeed I like being able to play through the story again without deleting my save.

Roto13

AmICoolYet said:
It's not about the grind, it's about formulating a strategy and perfecting your arsenal to get stronger. The grinding is tedious and annoying, I totally agree. But, like many things in life, the only way to excel is through hard work.
You don't see anything wrong with hard work in a video game?

Gravijah said:
Pokemon was designed as a social experience. There are Pokemon missing from each version to encourage people to trade. I can see wanting an extra copy to play another save file, though. If there's no Ruby/Sapphire remake to hold my Pokemon while I restart, I'll probably get Gray.

Gravijah

Roto13 said:
Pokemon was designed as a social experience. There are Pokemon missing from each version to encourage people to trade. I can see wanting an extra copy to play another save file, though. If there's no Ruby/Sapphire remake to hold my Pokemon while I restart, I'll probably get Gray.

Well, sure. I understand the social experience part. I enjoy trading just to trade though. :)

Roto13 said:
Not when it's being played competitively. They worked hard for their pokemon, who are you to say they don't deserve to destroy their competition.

Roto13

AmICoolYet said:
Not when it's being played competitively. Don't go and challenge the guy carrying a revolver to a duel if all you have is a squirt gun. They worked hard for their pokemon, who are you to say they don't deserve to destroy their competition.
Why the fuck is that guy waving a revolver around at my water fight? I'm calling the cops.

Roto13 said:

everybody doesn't play videogames to relax and simply have fun though, and people find fun in doing mundane tasks over and over and over again.

edit: OH GOD I OFFICIALLY HATE ANALOGIES gaf stop it.

Roto13 said:
Why the fuck is that guy waving a revolver around at my water fight? I'm calling the cops.
Damn, beat my edit. It was a poor analogy, but my point still stands. They worked harder for their pokemon than you, they deserve to beat you.

jman2050

Roto13 said:

As the brother of someone who plays this game competitively, not at all. It's fun for him, and he always has this sense of satisfaction when being able to take his hard-earned team online and to tournaments and look at the fruits of his labor in action.

D-Pad

Tch. Threw my DS in my bag to try and collect some survey results from campus. Got nothing. Fuckers posin' know they got the game just bring it pussies.

Gonna try at the other campus next week. The students there seem more into these type of things.

BGBW said:
Caught Zekrom with my first great ball. Easiest legendary catch ever.
Did you play D/P? Dialga/Palkia had a catch rate of like 45. Dusk balls at full health was like a 50% chance of catching them.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Can someone who is able to use Poketransfer help me get my Squirtle from my Diamond version to my Black version?

It really shouldn't take too long.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
AmICoolYet said:
Did you play D/P? Dialga/Palkia had a catch rate of like 45. Dusk balls at full health was like a 50% chance of catching them.
I played Diamond but I didn't know that.

Maybe I'll try catching Zekrom again, but this time in a Premier Ball.

Roto13

Something has definitely been done with the capture rate in general in Black/White. Bulbapedia says the catch rates for the legendaries are the same as they've ever been (3) but I caught Victini with two Ultra Balls and I just caught Cobalion with three or four Dusk Balls. There were Pokemon in previous games that I'd throw 50 Ultra Balls at and never catch.

AmICoolYet said:
I've caught every legendary, except the roaming one in B/W with a Pokeball ^_^. I'll try to get the roaming one this weekend. The only easy legendary is Zekron/Reshiram, the others take a lot of Pokeballs. Two full party wipes, and 70 Pokeballs later, I still haven't caught Metang T_T.

Roto13 said:
It turns it into a whole other game.

Generally speaking, every game is something else entirely when played competitively compared to casually.

That's a problem, either with the style of play or the game design

I agree about grinding not being a skill and being annoying. I'd be in favor of making everything less time-consuming because as they are designed now things are in the way of experimentation (less so due to unlimited TMs this time around, but still). I mean right now what am I doing? Preparing pokémon to tackle the Battle Subway so I can get BP to buy Power items so I can EV train faster. So basically I'm grinding now so I can grind faster later. That's pretty wtf if you think about it, but that's J-RPGs for you, that's nothing new.

That said, I wouldn't like to see EVs removed because the customization it allows for brings more variety to the game. You mentioned movesets earlier as part of strategy and you're right, but some sets work because of a combination of moves and stats. It's because you can EV train that you can get some Pokémon to have specific roles and play completely differently while being effective. Without control over that you would be limited by base stats when choosing your moves.

IVs I don't like so much but that's mainly because my luck has always been pretty much shit, the bunch of Ditto I caught yesterday being the exception rather than the rule. I wouldn't want them out though, some people enjoy the randomness after all.

EDIT: holy shit @ Analogy-GAF, seriously you guys XD

Finalow

ZayneH said:
MuQPk.jpg
lol.

Suairyu

Banned
Roto13 said:
I'd agree, but the presence of Black City/White Forest now creates a sort of legitimate reason for even sociable people to get both copies.

Or just wait for Grey and hope it has both.

Or just wait for Grey and realise it has something completely new and in fact you need to buy three versions, not two.

Roto13

D-Pad said:
Glad you guys said something because I was planning on using my masterball. > >;
I'm weird about using Master Balls. I haven't used one in like five or six playthroughs of the DS and GBA games. So I have five or six Master Balls in my bag in HeartGold that I'm never going to use because I can't transfer them over to Black. (Not that I'd have used them anyway. :p)

Holy Order Sol said:
Generally speaking, every game is something else entirely when played competitively compared to casually.

I agree about grinding not being a skill and being annoying. I'd be in favor of making everything less time-consuming because as they are designed now things are in the way of experimentation (less so due to unlimited TMs this time around, but still). I mean right now what am I doing? Preparing pokémon to tackle the Battle Subway so I can get BP to buy Power items so I can EV train faster. So basically I'm grinding now so I can grind faster later. That's pretty wtf if you think about it, but that's J-RPGs for you, that's nothing new.

That said, I wouldn't like to see EVs removed because the customization it allows for brings more variety to the game. You mentioned movesets earlier as part of strategy and you're right, but some sets work because of a combination of moves and stats. It's because you can EV train that you can get some Pokémon to have specific roles and play completely differently while being effective. Without control over that you would be limited by base stats when choosing your moves.

IVs I don't like so much but that's mainly because my luck has always been pretty much shit, the bunch of Ditto I caught yesterday being the exception rather than the rule. I wouldn't want them out though, some people enjoy the randomness after all.
If it wasn't for the grinding, it would be a bit of an annoyance to have to pay attention to invisible numbers, but it wouldn't ruin the whole game (well, the whole tournament aspect of it) because it wouldn't be unreasonable to do. I think IVs and EVs exist to keep everyone's level 100 Venusaur from being exactly the same. I don't think they were ever meant to be something people devote their lives to, which is why most people would never know they existed if they didn't find more information online.

Kintaco

I'm at the third Gym, and what I'm finding is that I usually need to grind once I get to a new Gym in order to stand a chance against the Gym leaders. Is this the normal process or am I doing something wrong? Also I just grind on wild Pokemon outside the city, is this wrong?

Roto13 said:
If it wasn't for the grinding, it would be a bit of an annoyance to have to pay attention to invisible numbers, but it wouldn't ruin the whole game (well, the whole tournament aspect of it) because it wouldn't be unreasonable to do. I think IVs and EVs exist to keep everyone's level 100 Venusaur from being exactly the same. I don't think they were ever meant to be something people devote their lives to.
Except the creators noticed people were doing it, then encouraged it through the addition of EV-gain hold items and EV-reducing berries. They even added an NPC that tells you when it's EV's are at max.

Edit: Even IVs, They purposely added the passing of IVs from parents to offspring in breeding. They had to have known how the players would use this to their advantage.

Suairyu

Banned
I think some people are confused over what random means. It's possible for legendaries to be really hard to capture yet you waltzing in with a lowly pokéball and capturing them first attempt because its a random calculation based off a few constants.

As for grinding - isn't the point of the game to be about raising Pokémon? That's the whole appeal, more or less. How would you represent that as anything other than a stat-based grind?

traveler

Not Wario
I dunno why you guys would criticize those who actually work to utilize everything they can in a tourney environment - if anything is at fault, it's the game design that makes you go to such ridiculous lengths to assemble a competitive team rather than the people who go to those lengths.

"Sure, but EVs and IVs allow for customizable builds and allow for Pokemon to fulfill varied roles; they shouldn't be taken out," you might say, but what's wrong with a WRPG style stat allocation system where you simply pick where you want each of your Pokemons' focus to be via points instead of having to specifically hunt down certain Pokemon to make sure the right stats increase? (I admit that I find the "uniqueness" and "flavor" arguments completely useless, as I am only concerned with mechanics and not how the series differentiates itself from other RPGs, so perhaps I'm not the best person to try and understand the value of the IVs/EVs.)

Roto13

Kintaco said:
I'm at the third Gym, and what I'm finding is that I usually need to grind once I get to a new Gym in order to stand a chance against the Gym leaders. Is this the normal process or am I doing something wrong? Also I just grind on wild Pokemon outside the city, is this wrong?
If you want to grind, run next to some grass for a little bit and wait for it to shake so you can slaughter the Audino inside for a nice chunk of EXP. You're probably not doing anything wrong. It's generally a good idea to have three or four Pokemon you focus on raising, and making sure they have a nice variety of types. Are your levels lower than those of the random trainers you run into? Do you run from a lot of wild Pokemon and avoid trainer battles? Because you should probably be fighting pretty much every fight you find.

Suairyu

Banned
traveler said:
"Sure, but EVs and IVs allow for customizable builds and allow for Pokemon to fulfill varied roles; they shouldn't be taken out," you might say, but what's wrong with a WRPG style stat allocation system where you simply pick where you want each of your Pokemons' focus to be via points instead of having to specifically hunt down certain Pokemon to make sure the right stats increase?
Because the game is about wild creatures you capture, breed and raise. You're a battle-farmer, basically. The stats represent genetics. You can't re-spec genetics.

D-Pad

darkpaladinmfc said:
I'm saving my Masterball for my first ever shiny in any game ever, I don't expect to ever use it Q_Q.

You're gonna be throwing it at a shiny Patrat. ;[

Roto13 said:
I'm weird about using Master Balls. I haven't used one in like five or six playthroughs of the DS and GBA games. So I have five or six Master Balls in my bag in HeartGold that I'm never going to use because I can't transfer them over to Black. (Not that I'd have used them anyway. :p)

Same here, actually, which is why I was planning on using it this game. Now everyone's saying there's only one roamer this time so maybe I'll chuck it then, but that seems like such a waste.

Granted, throwing the master ball at anything feels like "such a waste" to me, might as well chuck it at the version's mascot. > >

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom