• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
BGBW said:
Finished the main story. Such an awesome ending and quite refreshing.
Yeah it was fantastic

E4 and endgame spoilers:
I absolutely loved how grand and dramatic everything was from entering Victory Road onwards. Going through the 8 gates, having each room of the E4 be themed around their teams (more so than usual), and having an epic final battle in the castle were all incredibly awesome. And then you beat the main game just to start off back at your house and find out you need to scour the land for the seven sages!

Excellent job GameFreak. This is the best generation by a mile

Teknoman said:
EDIT: Dont let all the talk about hidden numbers and breeding scare you away from the tournament. Its always fun to see other people's teams anyway.
When is the tournament anyway? I'd love to enter if I can fix my wifi issues.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mr. Paer said:
Yeah it was fantastic

E4 and endgame spoilers:
I absolutely loved how grand and dramatic everything was from entering Victory Road onwards. Going through the 8 gates, having each room of the E4 be themed around their teams (more so than usual), and having an epic final battle in the castle were all incredibly awesome. And then you beat the main game just to start off back at your house and find out you need to scour the land for the seven sages!

And there I was thinking the game would end with me registering my Pokemon in the Hall of Fame.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Finally got Surf. :)

In my Japanese Black version, I pretty much ignored it till the post-game, and even then I still haven't really explored all the areas yet, so I think this time around I'm going to go exploring with my team...too bad I have NO counters against Water Pokemon! :(

I guess understanding what characters are saying makes it funner for me to explore instead of sticking to the main path.

EDIT: Also, someone pointed this out, but none of the Badges appear to restrict HMs anymore till you get them...is it possible to trade over a Pokemon with Fly/Surf and use it from the beginning?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I noticed that in the Vs. Recorder your profile displays a Pokemon next to the trainer. Any idea how to change the critter displayed?

TheExodu5

Banned
MatthewB92 said:
What do you mean? Day is day night is night :p
Are there different Pokemon to catch at night? Is it just day/night, or is there an in between? What time does it switch from day/night? Is it based off my DS clock?

Eteric Rice

Question.

How important are IVs when you're playing competitively these days? Do people max out the two important ones, or just try to get a high level in the important ones?

And is there a way to reset EVs in B/W?

Oh, and can you re-aquire moves that you forgot or passed on?

Gravijah

TheExodu5 said:
Are there different Pokemon to catch at night? Is it just day/night, or is there an in between? What time does it switch from day/night? Is it based off my DS clock?

1. As I said before I'm pretty sure Pokemon are seasonal now (could be wrong)

2. There's more than just day or night, as there's dawn and ch

3. 6 AM is when it becomes morning, I think 6 PM is around when it starts getting dark. Various changes in between.

4. Yes.

Cool, a torunament!

This is the first time I've played pokemon since Blue. I'm soooo out of my depth but really enjoying the game so far. Nearing the 6th badge. At first I was disappointed by the new mons, but now there's so many I like the look of. I can't carry them all to train them though :(

I had no idea you could breed pokemon till reading this topic. Strangely, all my team is female: servine, munna, audino, vanillite, archen, cottonnee. I guess that's lucky for breeding.

Was thinking about picking up solosis and dwebble but not sure who to remove from my team. I kind of hate audino, but she's the strongest one I got atm. She never loses a 1v1 and can often handle multiple enemies on her own.

TheExodu5 said:
Donesn't look like the day/night system has that big of an effect this gen. They focused more on the seasons. I forget what times they change but there is Dusk, dawn, Night, Day, morning and I think midnight? I forget. And yes basted on the DS clock.

Eteric Rice said:
Question.

How important are IVs when you're playing competitively these days? Do people max out the two important ones, or just try to get a high level in the important ones?

Speed is what you really want to max out if your Pokémon relies on it to do its job, the rest you can get away with settling for less to an extent.

TheExodu5 said:
This game allows connection over WPA/WPA2 if you have a DSi.
I only have a DS lite. I don't mind turning off my encryption for a quick battle. Though maybe I can borrow a friend's DSi for it.

Eteric Rice said:
Question.

And is there a way to reset EVs in B/W?

Oh, and can you re-aquire moves that you forgot or passed on?
1. Fairly important. Basically it's up to 31 bonus points in a stat. I usually only try and get good IVs in stats that are important to that pokemon. If I'm making a physical sweeper I try for high attack and speed IVs.

2. EVs are lowered by certain berries. Not sure how berries are grown in B/W

3. There is a move relearner in the same house as the move deleter. Forgot which city they're in though.

Kintaco

Roto13 said:
They live in the same grass that's on every route. (The light grass, and maybe the dark grass too.) They only show up when the grass is shaking. Walk back and forth near some grass until it starts to shake. SHouldn't take too long.

Alternatively, you can try trading your Pokemon for similar Pokemon on the GTS so you can get the EXP boost that comes with using a traded Pokemon.
Is the EXP boost just for the traded Pokemon?

Glix

AmICoolYet said:
1. Fairly important. Basically it's up to 31 bonus points in a stat. I usually only try and get good IVs in stats that are important to that pokemon. If I'm making a physical sweeper I try for high attack and speed IVs.

2. EVs are lowered by certain berries. Not sure how berries are grown in B/W

3. There is a move relearner in the same house as the move deleter. Forgot which city they're in though.

One small but AMAZING addition in this game, is that when you use fly, they tell you what things are in each town, when you highlight the town with your cursor. So yeah, it will tell you which town has the move deleter, and its awesome.

Achtius

Mr. Paer said:
Yeah it was fantastic

E4 and endgame spoilers:

It was funny that
every gym leader was there except the first one when they were blocking the six sages

Suairyu

Banned
Drillburr only comes out at night. That's about as much as has changed according to time in my game. Bit of a wasted opportunity, really. Introducing features should not make existing features less feature-y.

Roto13

Kintaco said:
Is the EXP boost just for the traded Pokemon?
Yeah, but it's pretty significant. 1.5x for traded Pokemon, and 1.7x for traded Pokemon from other versions of the game. (PAL, etc.)

Zzoram

Why would you NOT want daycare to delete HM moves? Those are the only moves you can easily get back, since you have the unlimited use HM items on you at all times.

It basically lets you pick for yourself what move to delete by putting the HM back overwriting one of the other moves.

Suairyu

Banned
Zzoram said:
Why would you NOT want daycare to delete HM moves? Those are the only moves you can easily get back, since you have the unlimited use HM items on you at all times.

It basically lets you pick for yourself what move to delete by putting the HM back overwriting one of the other moves.
It's not about what we want, but what has been possible. Deleting HMs via daycare (or any method other than a move deleter) was never possible before. I don't care that it happened, it's just different.

Woffls

Oh god, that bit after the Elite 4 when you think you're going to have to do something, then you don't have to do it? Wow, just wow.

[edit] I just got beaten by a wild Durant ¬¬ dropped 5g's

Woffls

Added the wraps, but if anyone could possibly guess what happened based on that I would be god damn astounded. I did think about it before posting, honest.

Gravijah

Shiggie said:
sort button.

I'm not sorting my mammoth of an inventory. :/ It's just weird because past games had more categories. Now the items list seems twice as big because there's even more clutter.

Ravidrath said:
Regarding the UI, does anyone else feel the C-Gear is pretty lame? They gave me a whole screen for 3 buttons.

It's also especially annoying because there are items in the game that could totally be shortcutted to it, or things like the Dowsing Machine that already basically work like apps for it.

Poketch was definitely better.

Ravidrath

I really don't know why they let them overwrite moves in the daycare. There is even a guy now that warns you about it now, but, I dunno... how about you just fix it?

I'd be pretty OK with them just not being able to learn anything instead of the overwriting thing.

Best of all, of course, would be to have it ask you if you want it to learn something when you pick it up, though. Or the day care guy calls you or something.

Regarding the UI, does anyone else feel the C-Gear is pretty lame? They gave me a whole screen for 3 buttons.

It's also especially annoying because there are items in the game that could totally be shortcutted to it, or things like the Dowsing Machine that already basically work like apps for it.

Zzoram

Suairyu said:
It's not about what we want, but what has been possible. Deleting HMs via daycare (or any method other than a move deleter) was never possible before. I don't care that it happened, it's just different.

I still think it's stupid they won't let you erase HMs. I assume it's for the unlikely situation where you swim out to an island, your surf and fly pokemon level up and forget Surf and Fly, and you put the HMs into your PC so you can't reteach them and you're permanently stuck.

Easy solution: Make it so that once you get HMs, you can never store them away, they have to stay in your inventory.

Roto13

Gravijah said:
I'm not sorting my mammoth of an inventory. :/ It's just weird because past games had more categories. Now the items list seems twice as big because there's even more clutter.

Poketch was definitely better.
Sort button. The green thing at the bottom of the screen.

larvi

Zzoram said:
I still think it's stupid they won't let you erase HMs. I assume it's for the unlikely situation where you swim out to an island, your surf and fly pokemon level up and forget Surf and Fly, and you put the HMs into your PC so you can't reteach them and you're permanently stuck.

Easy solution: Make it so that once you get HMs, you can never store them away, they have to stay in your inventory.

But then you could still release the only pokemon that could learn fly or surf and be in a position where you couldn't catch a new pokemon to learn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom