• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

Suairyu said:
Elaborate.

The RNG seed value changes each time you start the game or Fly. This doesn't mean don't ever Fly, it just means don't Fly while you're trying to breed shinies.

If it were possible to get 2048 Pokemon on a single session, you'd be guaranteed to get one, because once the RNG is started, it progresses forward, one value at a time.

By not restarting or Flying, it means you have a more "stable" target - you are always progressing towards the shiny values.

If you were to do say, restart the game after each box, it would mean that you're effectively starting over each time. First session might have the shiny at the 89th egg, second at the 500th egg, etc.

The randomness of that could still work out in your favor that way, but it's more random because you're not dedicating all your efforts towards to moving toward a single goal.

Suairyu

Banned
Ravidrath said:
Explanation
Does this also affect things like natures? Because I desperately want my Sigilypth to breed a modest baby already and I've been flying between day care and sky-arrow bridge.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Cubchoo just evolved into Beartic! FUCK YEAH!

One thing I love is the sense of "weight" the heavier Pokemon have...as in, when you send them out, they slam to the ground and kick up some dust. Awesome.

Gravijah

Watch Da Birdie said:
One thing I love is the sense of "weight" the heavier Pokemon have...as in, when you send them out, they slam to the ground and kick up some dust. Awesome.

Haha, really? I hate how Pokemon come out of the ball with that thud.

MGrant

Suairyu said:
Does this also affect things like natures? Because I desperately want my Sigilypth to breed a modest baby already and I've been flying between day care and sky-arrow bridge.

Are you giving the female an everstone? That dramatically increases the chances of getting the proper nature (i.e. give a female Modest Sigilyph [or the Ditto, if you're using one] an everstone to hold while it's in the daycare and most of the offspring will be Modest).

Delio

Gravijah said:

I dunno that weighted slam makes the pokemon seem big and threatning. I like it (on a side note shocked the tadpoles full evolution doesnt weigh much lol)

Suairyu

Banned
MGrant said:
Are you giving the female an everstone? That dramatically increases the chances of getting the proper nature (i.e. give a female Modest Sigilyph [or the Ditto, if you're using one] an everstone to hold while it's in the daycare and most of the offspring will be Modest).
As earlier explained, I'm doing this cold. No ditto, no appropriately natured female.

Watch Da Birdie said:
Cubchoo just evolved into Beartic! FUCK YEAH!

I am so jealous of you, all I want is that damn pokemon...

Also, can someone explain this Zorua situation? Can you only get it if you have Celebi or something? So if I don't have Celebi I'm just out of luck?

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, some of the Pokemon are a lot smaller than you'd think. Seismitoad's the size of like your little brother.

Another one is Excadrill...his sprite is large and in charge, but he's only two feet. :0

MGrant

Suairyu said:
As earlier explained, I'm doing this cold. No ditto, no appropriately natured female.

Ah, okay, sorry for not seeing that earlier. I just use the path in front of the daycare to bike for egg hatches. It's not as long as the bridge, but it's right there in front of the daycare man and I can easily left-right and pick up more eggs while reading a book or something.

Suairyu

Banned
MatthewB92 said:
Have you beat the story yet?
Nope. Mid-way point team refresh to learn more about other Pokémon and get rid of my over-levelled problem. Figured I'd learn more about breeding while I was at it. I'm learning that before you beat the game, you shouldn't bother.

But I'm too invested in this one fucking Sigilyph to quit now.

Eteric Rice

Watch Da Birdie said:
Yeah, some of the Pokemon are a lot smaller than you'd think. Seismitoad's the size of like your little brother.

Another one is Excadrill...his sprite is large and in charge, but he's only two feet. :0

He also has shovels on his hands and head, and turns into a drill.

Your argument is invalid.

klez

Gravijah said:

I was thinking if you can tell how heavy a pokemon is by that thud for weight dependent attacks (low kick, grass knot etc.)

Suairyu said:
Nope. Mid-way point team refresh to learn more about other Pokémon and get rid of my over-levelled problem. Figured I'd learn more about breeding while I was at it. I'm learning that before you beat the game, you shouldn't bother.

But I'm too invested in this one fucking Sigilyph to quit now.
Are you just going for the nature right now?

Is it just me or does the difficulty take a nosedive after the 4th gym? Before I was struggling to keep my guys alive, now one Pokemon is wiping the floor with the 8th leader. No grinding done, just OCD about fighting every trainer and never running from battles, lol.

DarthWufei said:
Is it just me or does the difficulty take a nosedive after the 4th gym? Before I was struggling to keep my guys alive, now one Pokemon is wiping the floor with the 8th leader. No grinding done, just OCD about fighting every trainer and never running from battles, lol.

yep 4th gym was the apex of difficulty for me too.

Suairyu said:
Yes. IVs is a rabbit hole I don't want anything to do with for a long time.

Y'all who struggled with the 4th gym never had Blitzle.
Only going for a nature and you still don't have it? That has to suck. You don't even have a pokemon with flame body do you?

Watch Da Birdie

Jesus christ Brycen's Gym is pathetic...burned through it with Gurdurr, Emboar, and Boldore, and only lost 60 HP the ENTIRE Gym.

But I guess that's because they're all mono-Ice Pokemon with no tricks. A shame.

I also noticed one of the dudes in there was from the Kanto Fighting Dojo in Saffron. :)

Totakeke

Yeah, don't even think about going down the maximizing IV by manipulating the RNG route unless you're planning to play the game for a looooonngg time. Eventually you're going to ask yourself the point of doing all this.

Suairyu

Banned
MatthewB92 said:
Only going for a nature and you still don't have it? That has to suck. You don't even have a pokemon with flame body do you?
Every nature has popped up except 'Modest'. I'm beginning to think Bulbapedia invented it to harass my brain. Almost finished my second box now...

And no flame body, no. Looking into it, it's not possible until after the story is beat.

Suairyu said:
Every nature has popped up except 'Modest'. I'm beginning to think Bulbapedia invented it to harass my brain. Almost finished my second box now...

And no flame body, no. Looking into it, it's not possible until after the story is beat.
Do you want a flame body pokemon? I have one that is a unova pokemon.

Watch Da Birdie said:
Jesus christ Brycen's Gym is pathetic...burned through it with Gurdurr, Emboar, and Boldore, and only lost 60 HP the ENTIRE Gym.

But I guess that's because they're all mono-Ice Pokemon with no tricks. A shame.

I also noticed one of the dudes in there was from the Kanto Fighting Dojo in Saffron. :)

Massacred the entire gym with nothing but Emboar and Heat Crash. Emboar went up 5 levels, at least, so it was good for something... >_>

Just beat Dragonspiral Tower, but I'm gonna train up my new Sigilyph before heading onward.

Einbroch

Banned
Okay, I know nothing about pokemon and haven't played any since Gold/Silver (old-school gold/silver).

The game seems so complicated and stat-based now...is there a website or guide I could read to get me caught up on all the new stuff?

Zzoram

Can you buy rare candy to use for IV calculation?

What's considered good for IV? Does breeding high IV Pokemon make high IV babies?

Watch Da Birdie

I also find it interesting that, according to an interview Nintendo Dream did with Gamefreak recently, Brycen used to be a movie star before Alder told him to go into caves and train Ice Pokemon...

Nice advice. :/

I think an NPC girl in Iccirus mentions the movie star part too.

Suairyu

Banned
MatthewB92 said:
No price just trade whatever you don't want.
Well, I do have a lot of Sigilyphs lately for some reason...

Okay, my friend code changed since you last traded with me. I'll head to a Pokécentre now and wait in WFC. Thank you very much.

Suairyu said:
Well, I do have a lot of Sigilyphs lately for some reason...

Okay, my friend code changed since you last traded with me. I'll head to a Pokécentre now and wait in WFC. Thank you very much.
Whats your new FC?

Zzoram said:
Can you buy rare candy to use for IV calculation?

Nope. :/ You can get some for a ridiculous amount of BP at the Battle Subway, but don't even consider that.

What's considered good for IV? Does breeding high IV Pokemon make high IV babies?

Everyone has different standards even among those who care about IV, I'm more about avoiding massive fuck-ups than shooting for perfection myself. Breeding high IV Pokémon doesn't guarantee high IV offsprings but increases the odds because they are passed over randomly (unless you use specific items).

Suairyu

Banned
O GOD Matt, two secs, two-Pokémon needed in my party, which is full of eggs, brb!

DoomXploder7 said:
you know you can simply catch a flame body litwick from the celestial tower which is just past mistralton city and accesible to you
: /

edit - Thanks, Matt! Now I have a Pokémon I can't catch anytime soon. You're awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom