• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Encountered a Throh in a two-Pokemon wild battle, and got him to what must have been 1% health with paralysis, and still burned every type of Pokeball I had on him to no avail. Shit.

I don't even need a fighting type with my beast of a Pignite around, but now it's a challenge. I want that gi-shrouded motherfucker!

Magnus said:
Encountered a Throh in a two-Pokemon wild battle, and got him to what must have been 1% health with paralysis, and still burned every type of Pokeball I had on him to no avail. Shit.

YOU MUST DEFEAT YAMA ARASHI TO STAND A CHANCE

Suairyu

Banned
Gravijah said:
This game is absolutely filled with Ghost and Fighting Pokemon. Cool ones, to boot!
Even the fire starter is part fighting!

But that's cool, really. I never got into Fighting types back with the original 151, despite Machamp being awesome. But the designs here are awesome. Throh is my boy.

edit - fffuuu @ speed of egg hatching with flame body Pokémon. Two steps apart. Madness.

Ravidrath

Suairyu said:
As earlier explained, I'm doing this cold. No ditto, no appropriately natured female.

There isn't any way to influence nature for shiny breeding - Everstone only works when the two parents are from the same region.

If you want a perfect nature for your shiny, you're going to have to look into RNG manipulation methods.

Suairyu said:
Even the fire starter is part fighting!

But that's cool, really. I never got into Fighting types back with the original 151, despite Machamp being awesome. But the designs here are awesome. Throh is my boy.

edit - fffuuu @ speed of egg hatching with flame body Pokémon. Two steps apart. Madness.

wat

Flame body was buffed?

Suairyu

Banned
Holy Order Sol said:
wat

Flame body was buffed?
A few took more than that. But twice already there have been instances of two eggs hatching only two steps apart.

Ravidrath - I wasn't trying to breed shiny natures, just natures, as I've been trying to get this elusive nature for ages now. Was wondering if it too was tied to number seed and not flying would help me get it quicker, is all

Teknoman

Einbroch said:
Okay, I know nothing about pokemon and haven't played any since Gold/Silver (old-school gold/silver).

The game seems so complicated and stat-based now...is there a website or guide I could read to get me caught up on all the new stuff?

Its really not that complicated now. If you want to worry about anything without stuff getting too complicated, just worry about natures (you can just trade those with natures you find unsuitable for that pokemon/your game plan) and EVs (you can really train/redo effort values after beating the main story).

Zzoram

Ravidrath said:
There isn't any way to influence nature for shiny breeding - Everstone only works when the two parents are from the same region.

If you want a perfect nature for your shiny, you're going to have to look into RNG manipulation methods.

What is RNG, and what is Everstone used for in breeding?

Holy Order Sol said:
I've used it before so I know that, but I thought he meant it was even faster now.

Ooooh. No he is just getting lucky.

Zzoram said:
What is RNG, and what is Everstone used for in breeding?

Random number generators and everstones increase the chances of the mother or ditto passing down it's nature.

Zzoram

MatthewB92 said:
Ooooh. No he is just getting lucky.

Random number generators and everstones increase the chances of the mother or ditto passing down it's nature.

Is the RNG some in-game item? How do you use the Everstone for breeding, make the mother or ditto hold it?

Suairyu said:
Where luck = faster taunting of lack of Modest nature, sure.
If you honestly don't have one by the time I evolve this next pokemon I'll help you lol.

Zzoram said:
Is the RNG some in-game item? How do you use the Everstone for breeding, make the mother or ditto hold it?
I can't explain it because I don't use it :p but yea the mother or ditto have to hold the everstone.

Suairyu

Banned
So all the Pokémon soundtrack albums are on Spotify.

Soundtrack to egg hatching found!

edit - Jesus some of these are cynical cash ins. C-Grade electric musicians with voice actors and sound samples. Kids bought this?

Pokémon Christmas Bash is really bad!

Ravidrath

Suairyu said:
I wasn't trying to breed shiny natures, just natures, as I've been trying to get this elusive nature for ages now. Was wondering if it too was tied to number seed and not flying would help me get it quicker, is all

Yeah, you're just going to have to keep pooping out eggs until you get the nature you want, which an Everstone and a Ditto can help you with.

Zzoram

MatthewB92 said:
If you honestly don't have one by the time I evolve this next pokemon I'll help you lol.

I can't explain it because I don't use it :p but yea the mother or ditto have to hold the everstone.

Does the Everstone get used up in the process?

Zzoram said:
RNG is Random Number Generator. Essentially the magic behind the randomness (which isn't really random) behind the entire game.

The whole point of it is that using certain aspects of the game known to be constant you can work out the formula to discover how the random number generator generates it's numbers. Once you know that, you can sit back and wait for the number you need to get whatever items, pokemon etc that are more "rare".

Can someone give me some Sandile advice? What skills to keep, when to evolve, etc?

Also, is it a bad idea to have both Drilbur and Sandile on my team at the same time?

Suairyu

Banned
MatthewB92 said:
Also if you want to see how your nature is check your pokemon stats. If the text of said stat is red it's + if it's blue it's -.
So how much of a stat boost/reduction does a nature grant?

Also, am I to presume that all the non-stat, ability-granting natures like hardy are just there for CPUs to annoy you and not much use to the player?

Gravijah

Suairyu said:

Also, am I to presume that all the non-stat, ability-granting natures like hardy are just there for CPUs to annoy you and not much use to the player?

Those are useful during casual playthroughs. And uhm, I think it's 10% gain and loss.

Suairyu said:

+1/-1 but I don't know the point to the useless natures that increase nothing.

D-Pad

robotzombie said:
Can someone give me some Sandile advice? What skills to keep, when to evolve, etc?

Also, is it a bad idea to have both Drilbur and Sandile on my team at the same time?

My suggestion would be to let Sandile evolve when it wants to. The moves aren't pushed that far back and he needs the power boost. Just don't let him evolve again after that until 48, when he'll learn a good ground move. After that you'll have to wait until level 60 for his last powerful move if you want it.

As for your second question: Go with your favorites. Just know their weaknesses.

On a sad note, I just noticed my Krokorok is Modest. FML, again. I really should have paid attention to what I was chucking my pokeballs at.

D-Pad

MatthewB92 said:
+1/-1 but I don't know the point to the useless natures that increase nothing.
For me, at least, it's an easy out. When no stat is below or above average I go with it. Better than having a modest Sandile, for example. :\

I could definitely beat the game tonight, but I have a lot of homework. Sucks because I wanna start breeding/battling for/with people. lol. My Miltank has been very bored.

JackEtc

Just found a copy of LeafGreen that I had and shared with my brother.

Is there any way that I can trade this up to my copy of Black? Because....

2011-03-10_21-50-20_601.jpg

Please don't tell me those are gonna go to waste.

JackEtc said:
Just found a copy of LeafGreen that I had and shared with my brother.

Is there any way that I can trade this up to my copy of Black? Because....

]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_FKgTtgKlzWw/TXmONzVGFfI/AAAAAAAABFk/_512uYBlj0k/s912/2011-03-10_21-50-20_601.jpg[/IMG]

Please don't tell me those are gonna go to waste.
Need to transfer to D/P/Pt/HG/SS first then transfer from them to black but you need two DS's.

JackEtc

dragonlife29 said:
Migrate to D/P, then trade to B/W.
MatthewB92 said:
Need to transfer to D/P/Pt/HG/SS first then transfer from them to black but you need two DS's.
Do I need to have a completed game in D/P? Or can I just pick up a used copy of D/P and trade them up?

I have a DS Fat with a broken touch screen, along with my Pokemon Black DSi, so I can do the trade, unless I have to go and actually beat D/P....

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
JackEtc said:
Do I need to have a completed game in D/P? Or can I just pick up a used copy of D/P and trade them up?

I have a DS Fat with a broken touch screen, along with my Pokemon Black DSi, so I can do the trade, unless I have to go and actually beat D/P....

You have to beat the E4, and get the National pokedex in D/P to get the pal-Park access, but you can also use the pal-Park if you do the same in Heart Gold/Soul Silver, which is better because the HG/SS Pal_Park doesn't limit you to 6 pokemon transfers per day

JackEtc

DrForester said:
You have to beat D/P to get he pal-Park access, but you can also use the pal-Park if you bear Heart Gold/Soul Silver
Damn, this was the last Pokemon game I played...
What are the chances of there being a completed game on a used copy of a Gen IV game at gamestop?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ravidrath said:

What a weird ass restriction...

JackEtc

MatthewB92 said:
I think high.
Might have to resort to that....I wonder if they would let me try out the game to check before I bought it.

Or maybe I can work something out with a fellow PAX-er tomorrow.

*throws DS Fat and LeafGreen in bag*

KingK

I finally finished all of my exams and school work this week and just started White version. Two and a half hours in and I just got my first gym badge. Fuck yeah, this game is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom