• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Okay! I wish I had a DW Croagunk, but I don't think I could find one anytime soon. Any preference between Anticipation or Dry Skin? I'll do my best with the rest of it!

It's no problem. Thanks a lot for the effort!

As for the ability, Dry Skin is fine. Rain is way more common than sun, anyways.

I have DW Croagunk, but it's male and the Global Link is down for maintenance. Soz. :<

Don't worry about it!

EDIT: Already 1/4 through the thread wooooooooooooo

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Haxorus looks sick.

I'm making one.

Should I run Rivalry or Mold Breaker?

Mold Breaker, whether it's just for fun in game, battle subway, or competitive battling. It lets Haxorus destroy a lot of Pokemon that rely on their Ability, namely Levitate, but a bunch of other abilities are well. No missing on Sand Veil Garchomp, hitting through Dragonite's Multiscale, through a Pokemon's Sturdy ability, etc. It makes it much more difficult for Pokemon to switch into you as well, because even if Latias predicts Earthquake instead of Outrage, it really can't stomach taking either move without its Levitate. Rivalry isn't terrible though, especially in-game, where you can more easily bring Haxorus in against a known gender and you don't have to worry about the AI switching out to an opposite gender most times like a human player would.

It's no problem. Thanks a lot for the effort!

As for the ability, Dry Skin is fine. Rain is way more common than sun, anyways.

Don't worry about it!

EDIT: Already 1/4 through the thread wooooooooooooo

I have them ready! It only took a couple of hours! My FC is 0303 9099 2313.

I'm sending you a PM too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You don't want Poison Touch, which is Toxicroak's DW ability. Dry Skin is way too valuable. He's a pretty important member of my Rain team most times and can check lots of common Rain abusers too. Ludicolo pees himself on sight.

The ability I really wish he had for Dream World would be Sheer Force because then I could have an excuse to use 288 power Gunk Shot (120 base, 30% increase for Sheer Force, 30% increase for Life Orb with no recoil, and 50% increase for STAB).

Kokonoe

Banned
I was trying to think of what more they could do the weather type moves, but all I could think of was some kind of haunted house condition for ghost Pokemon. Guess they pretty much nailed the weather.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I was trying to think of what more they could do the weather type moves, but all I could think of was some kind of haunted house condition for ghost Pokemon. Guess they pretty much nailed the weather.

Automatic TR, or Gravity Pokemon (last only five turns upon entering battle though, no perma). Probably be broken though, even how devastating Trick Room can be. People would start carrying TR Pokemon a lot more, if only to counter the automatic TR setter.

I always thought there could be a Poison type weather like Smoggy Day. Pokemon becomes Badly Poisoned if it stays on the field for too long. Probably on its third turn in battle. Poison types heal 1/16th of their health per turn, and Poison / Steel types are immune to the condition.

You could do Heavy Wind, as well. Increases Flying and Bug type Pokemon's speed by one stage and blows away any entry hazards like Stealth Rock, or Spikes. Like TR, the auto-setter should only make it last 5 turns at most.

Other than that, they could stand to give Hail a bit more love by increasing Ice type's Defense 50%, ala, what Sand Stream does for Rock type's Special Defense.

Or just do away with perma weather altogether. Make Sand Stream, Drizzle, Snow Warning, and Drought only last five turns max. It's probably the most reasonable solution. Weather would still play a major role.. especially in shorter Doubles matches.. but it would definitely change things.

Stage On

Oh man yes, weather only lasting 5 turns instead of just going on and on and on would go a long way towards balancing it a bit more

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If Meloetta is the Event tie in Pokémon for the next movie she'll be available around the first week in December.

Any chance of Keldeo being offered as a Wi-fi event after the GS event is over? IIRC, they did the same for a bunch of BW/HGSS event Pokemon.

Soul Beat

Any chance of Keldeo being offered as a Wi-fi event after the GS event is over? IIRC, they did the same for a bunch of BW/HGSS event Pokemon.

I kinda doubt it. I think it's just better to bite the bullet and download it while you still have the chance.

Man, Sunday still feels so far away.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Whooooah, 100 pages already. Gonna need Thread #3 before the end of the year at this rate. :O

backlot

All this B/W2 hype got me in the mood to do some online battles and now Global Link server is undergoing maintenance. This sucks.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hail desperately needs something like a Defense boost for Ice types, a 5% chance of non ice types getting the FRZ status every turn or something else.

Maybe give them all Snow Cloak for free.

backlot

Hail desperately needs something like a Defense boost for Ice types, a 5% chance of non ice types getting the FRZ status every turn or something else.

Maybe give them all Snow Cloak for free.

Oh god, no! Freeze is broken enough as it is. That would be insane. I agree hail needs something but not freeze.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Eh, once you start retroactively changing abilities, then things start to go awry. Maybe just reduce the accuracy of all non-Ice Pokémon by 10-15% or something?

That's basically what I envisioned. a Fog for all non ice types. Snow Cloak pokemon would then be a very viable threat.

Kokonoe

Banned
There is a travesty that occurred in the Pokemon games, and this travesty is that you only are able to wear Team Rocket's getup for a few moments and never again.

backlot

Eh, once you start retroactively changing abilities, then things start to go awry. Maybe just reduce the accuracy of all non-Ice Pokémon by 10-15% or something?

Even that would make Snow Warning a bit too powerful in my opinion. It would also be detrimental people building hail teams that don't want to have to use only ice Pokemon. Something that ice types could benefit from without nerfing every single other type would be ideal.

That's basically what I envisioned. a Fog for all non ice types. Snow Cloak pokemon would then be a very viable threat.

They're never going to make a weather effect reduce accuracy. If anything, Sand would've gotten it first. And fuck that freezing percentage as well.

The P.Defense boost is something I can agree with. I don't really know why Ice moves don't get an attack boost, but I guess it's because Hail is already hurting everyone every turn.

backlot

They're never going to make a weather effect reduce accuracy. If anything, Sand would've gotten it first. And fuck that freezing percentage as well.

The P.Defense boost is something I can agree with. I don't really know why Ice moves don't get an attack boost, but I guess it's because Hail is already hurting everyone every turn.

Hail also has the benefit of boosting Blizzard's accuracy so at least that's something.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well, so far in my HeartGold run this is my team

Feraligatr
Shuckle (I stole it)
Fearow (I stole it)
Sudowoodo (always have to use him once every playthrough)
Flaffy
Tentacool (Poison Spikes)

Probably going to swap Shuckle, but I will be swapping Sudowoodo later. I'm using Flaffy because one it's cool, and two so I can Charge -> Thunder Gyarados for Exterminieren.

The bigger travesty is you couldn't leave Goldenrod while wearing it.

Yep, the ultimate tease.

MikeMyers

Well, so far in my HeartGold run this is my team

Feraligatr
Shuckle (I stole it)
Fearow (I stole it)
Sudowoodo (always have to use him once every playthrough)
Flaffy
Tentacool (Poison Spikes)

Probably going to swap Shuckle, but I will be swapping Sudowoodo later. I'm using Flaffy because one it's cool, and two so I can Charge -> Thunder Gyarados for Exterminieren.

Yep, the ultimate tease.
How far into the game are you?

MikeMyers

I'm at Goldenrod fighting Team Rocket in the area after the Radio tower.

Thats always been the most boring part of Johto for me.

I remember in GSC, I'd always do the Lake of Rage detour as soon as I get the Surf HM and then get the Level 30 Gyarados. Alrady have the Red Gyarados before Chuck/Jasmine.

Kokonoe

Banned
I use Gyarados every single time I playthrough a Pokemon game that has it, but this time I'm choosing not to, to spice it up.

Y'know, there's only so many avatars you can mash together before it starts looking like a mess.

6x80D.jpg

MikeMyers

I use Gyarados every single time I playthrough a Pokemon game that has it, but this time I'm choosing not to, to spice it up.

Same, here's all my teams.

Kanto: Venusaur, Gyarados, Clefable, Jolteon, Dodrio, Ninetails
Johto: Meganium, Golem, Alakazam, Gyarados, Gengar, Suicune
Hoenn: Blaziken, Manetike, Cacturne, Starmie, Gyarados, Metagross
Sinnoh: Infernape, Gyarados, Garchomp, Salamence*, Vileplume*, Glaceon
Unova: Serperior, Lucario, Chandelure, Mamoswine, Gyarados, Hydregion

*Before PokeTransfer, it was Haunter and Roserade instead.

Top Bottom