• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

backlot

Hey, anyone have any links to some really great BW1/BW2 Pokemon battles on YouTube? I'm talking like straight-up dawg time hardcore competitive shit. Preferably one with normal text speed so I can process what's happening, lol.

If you're looking for competitive battles you could read some war story threads on smogon. They aren't videos but you certainly won't have to worry about text speed.

Well the other possibility, is that N is going to come in and ruin the tournament.

Well...

327586.jpg

That certainly looks like the League to me...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I got an oshawott waiting for trade. I want any fire starter... I'd actually prefer a speed boost torchic but I heard it technically doesn't exist

They seem to do an Eevee episode every now and again. Maybe they plan on fixing Flareon's move set.

Nah they say Flareon is too cute to those "un-cute" physical fire moves

MY CHRISTMAS SPIRIT!

(*seething*) N-now listen up. I d-don't w-want any t-trouble now, b-but I d-don't think you u-understand how m-much this holiday m-means to me. Just p-put the hat d-down a-and walk away. Put the hat down. And walk away.

Clone-o-matic 2000 activating...

Don't you worry about that hat.

Busaiku

Caitlin's casting choice in English was weird.
Yeah, they went for refined or something, but she sounds so much older than she looks.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
These are great! It'd be cool to see something just like this for 1v1 battles, as well.

EDIT: So it seems in the VGCs, everyone has a shiny or two (including legendaries). Are they legit?

likely RNG'd, though if you're really good at pokesaving you can do the same thing without the fuss.

So it's either legit or legit enough to not be able to tell the difference.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Random Number Generator.

Basically they are using a computer program to help figure out when the game would generate a shiny pokemon of the right nature with the right stats.

Neiteio

So what's the earliest we might see this new Eevee evolution?

Also, Storm Drain grants immunity to Water and restores HP when hit with Water-type attacks; Volt Absorb does the same, but for Electric-type attacks. Are there any other versions of this ability?

Also, Storm Drain grants immunity to Water and restores HP when hit with Water-type attacks; Volt Absorb does the same, but for Electric-type attacks. Are there any other versions of this ability?

Sap Sipper does it for Grass attacks, and Dry Skin restores HP when hit by Water attacks but makes Fire-type attacks effectively super effective.

Storm Drain raises Special Attack. Water Absorb is the one that restores HP.

Sap Sipper does it for Grass attacks, and Dry Skin restores HP when hit by Water attacks but makes Fire-type attacks effectively super effective.

Sap Sipper raises Attack. It doesn't restore HP.

ffdgh

well time to send my 3ds to nintendo....darn R button wont work.
LLShC.gif

There aren't any event pokemon/ mystery gift pokemon avalaible right now right?

Stage On

With that touch, Pikachu has leveled back up to legend slayer...well drawer lol.

I think it already got back to Legend Slayer status due to the boost it got in the Team rocket 2 parter.

I mean he is going to take out Trips strongest Pokemon in the league despite being at a disadvantage so he's not in "weak mode" anymore.

Neiteio

Here's an unsocilited -- and borderline unreasonable -- miracle cure I'm requesting in Gen 6 for one of the overlooked-yet-awesome designs from Gen 4, Vespiquen:

vespiquen.jpg

HOW TO FIX HER (and feel free to chime in):

+ Add a Soul Dew-style hold item called Royal Tiara, which buffs Attk, Def, Spc Attk and Spc Def by 20 percent – bringing the base stats to 96/122/96/122, making her a Physical and Special Wall (Vespiquen only)…
+ Add Magic Guard ability for immunity to entry hazards like Sandstorm, Hail, and most vital of all, Stealth Rock…
+ Add Trick Room so that slow Pokemon (such as Vespiquen) have priority and attack first…
+ Add Hurricane, a strong Flying-type attack, and Nasty Plot to boot Spc. Attk two stages
+ Add Reflect and Light Screen to halve damage dealt to Vespiquen’s team…

Hmm... I'd really like to see her given a major buff next go-around.

Here's an unsocilited -- and borderline unreasonable -- miracle cure I'm requesting in Gen 6 for one of the overlooked-yet-awesome designs from Gen 4, Vespiquen:

[.img]http://img.pokemondb.net/artwork/vespiquen.jpg[/img]

HOW TO FIX HER (and feel free to chime in):

+ Add a Soul Dew-style hold item called Royal Tiara, which buffs Attk, Def, Spc Attk and Spc Def by 20 percent – bringing the base stats to 96/122/96/122, making her a bulky Physical and Special Wall (Vespiquen only)…
+ Add Magic Guard ability for immunity to entry hazards like Sandstorm, Hail, and most vital of all, Stealth Rock…
+ Add Trick Room so that slow Pokemon (such as Vespiquen) have priority and attack first…
+ Add Hurricane, a strong Flying-type attack, and Nasty Plot to boot Spc. Attk two stages
+ Add Reflect and Light Screen to halve damage dealt to Vespiquen’s team…

Hmm... I'd really like to see her given a major buff next go-around.

I would say just making it so she doesn't might as well die when she comes out into Stealth Rocks will probably be the biggest boost to Vespiquen.

I think boosting Defense Order so it raising her Defense and Special Defense by two stages instead of one would be great as well.

Adding things like Reflect and Light Screen (why the hell not she doesn't get these) and other things would be good to make her more bulky and supportive.

Neiteio

I would say just making it so she doesn't might as well die when she comes out into Stealth Rocks will probably be the biggest boost to Vespiquen.

I think boosting Defense Order so it raising her Defense and Special Defense by two stages instead of one would be great as well.

Adding things like Reflect and Light Screen (why the hell not she doesn't get these) and other things would be good to make her more bulky and supportive.
I like your idea of a Defense Order tweak to boost by two stages instead of one. :)

And in general, I'm intrigued by the idea of Soul Dew-style items that could be tailored exclusively to certain Pokemon, powering them up at the expense of being able to hold other items (like Leftovers). In this case, equipping Royal Tiara (made-up item, as an example) for a 20 percent boost to all Attack and Defense stats could send Vespiquen into a higher tier...

I like your idea of a Defense Order tweak to boost by two stages instead of one. :)

And in general, I'm intrigued by the idea of Soul Dew-style items that could be tailored exclusively to certain Pokemon, powering them up at the expense of being able to hold other items (like Leftovers). In this case, equipping Royal Tiara (made-up item, as an example) for a 20 percent boost to all Attack and Defense stats could send Vespiquen into a higher tier...

The main problem for Vespiquen is Stealth Rocks. When a defensive Pokemon can literally have its HP cut in half just by sending it out makes it pretty much impossible for it to really do anything.

soo.... defend order become a one turn barrier/amnesia? NO, nope, no way. It needs a drawback somewhere.

It's exclusive to Vespiquen. There's your drawback. :p

Neiteio

soo.... defend order become a one turn barrier/amnesia? NO, nope, no way. It needs a drawback somewhere.

dallumauji said:
It's exclusive to Vespiquen. There's your drawback. :p
Heh. :)

The main problem for Vespiquen is Stealth Rocks. When a defensive Pokemon can literally have its HP cut in half just by sending it out makes it pretty much impossible for it to really do anything.
Yeah, I guess even if they gave Vespiquen the ability Magic Guard, it would only help on entering the battlefield.

I think a stat-boosting hold item is what's needed...

Neiteio

I'm just going to generate a PWT with pokesave lol, screw this breeding stuff.
Honestly, I'd love to have an OFFICIAL battle simulator where you can just set all the variables yourself -- Pokemon, shiny or not, gender, ability, moveset, stat distribution, etc -- and have at it with others online. The actual training/breeding process is just way too much work.

Also, that Courage the Cowardly Dog take on Basculin is amazing, Chet. I knew his snarl looked familiar!

And now... I'm obsessed with the Lillipup/Herdier/Stoutland line. First time I've ever really been into the early Normal-type Pokemon, lol. (Well, I liked Zigzagoon back in RSE)

It'd be nice if they gave more Pokemon moves like Rapid spin so that Stealth rock would be neutered a bit

Anyone else think there's too much Stealth Rock going on?

On another topic, I wonder what you'd call something that takes the attacker's Attack and Special Attack, averaged, and the defender's Defence and Special Defence, averaged.

Top Bottom