• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Gen I: Dragonite

Gen II: Tyranitar

Gen III: Metagross and Salamence (try-hard Gen)

Gen IV: Garchomp

Gen V: Hydreigon (AKA the best pseudo)

Zoroark, Lucario, Axew and Volcorona are commonly mistaken for pseudos, but they don't fit the requirements of having 3 stages and a base stat total of 600.

Stage On

Zoroark, Lucario, and Volcorona are commonly mistaken for pseudos, but they don't fit the requirements of having 3 stages and a base stat total of 600.

Their has to be a category for guys like them. What they have in common is only having two stages and getting special treatment

I mean Zoroark and Lucario both got movies and Volcorona sure gets treated almost like it's a legendary Pokemon.

Stage On

Shitty Pokémon seems like a good category (not Volcarona though, he's awesome)

Calling Lucario shitty....does not compute.

Lucariofull554959.jpg

Neiteio

Also Axew is really lucky, first pseudolegendary who got "big", though I guess Gible was close enough
What do you mean by this? Are you referring to the popularity of Haxorus? Personally, I'd love to see him in the next Smash Bros.

And to the other people saying Haxorus isn't a pseudo-legendary due to sub-600 BST, it's all kind of null and void since Haxorus' Attack stat says YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD. :p

MikeMyers

If Haxorus had 600 points, then where would the leftover points go?

If they went to speed, well...

Lets make Gyarados a pseudo legendary.

Original Stats:
HP: 95
Atk: 125
Def: 79
SpA: 60
SpD: 100
Spe: 81
Total: 540

New Stats:
HP: 95
Atk: 125
Def: 79
SpA: 100 (+40)
SpD: 100
Spe: 101 (+20)
Total: 600

OMG YES.

I like this game.

Arcanine

Original Stats:
HP: 90
Atk: 110
Def: 80
SpA: 100
SpD: 80
Spe: 95
Total: 555

New Stats:
HP: 90
Atk: 135 (+25)
Def: 80
SpA: 100
SpD: 80
Spe: 115 (+20)

Stage On

Scrafty
HP: 65
Attack: 90
Defense: 115
Sp Atk: 45
Sp Def: 115
Speed: 58
Total: 488

New stats:
HP: 95 (+30)
Attack: 140 (+50)
Defense: 115
Sp Atk: 45
Sp Def: 115
Speed: 90 (+32)

Stage On

Yea but what are the odds that people knew that dragons were weak to ice without being told? Nobody had used them until Lance. Heck I didn't find out about the ice thing until Gold and Silver.

I knew, it's how I swept the Elite 4 using only a Blastoise with Blizzard, Surf, Earthquake and Skull Bash

Man those where the days when Hyper Beam was actually useful. If you koed somebody with it you didn't have to waste a turn recharging afterwards

MikeMyers

Yea but what are the odds that people knew that dragons were weak to ice without being told? Nobody had used them until Lance. Heck I didn't find out about the ice thing until Gold and Silver.

Dragons are glitched to never attack Poison types in RB.

I had Venusaur

Wreck.

Dragons are glitched to never attack Poison types in RB.

I had Venusaur

Wreck.
I think that it's not a case of Dragon types never attacking Poison types - rather, it's a case of Lance's Dragonair/ite(s) not attacking your Venusaur because, due to the game's simple AI, it chooses the "super-effective" Agility/Barrier to use instead.

This actually happened to me when facing him - I had a weak Hitmonchan left, and he never attacked me, just kept using Amnesia. Of course, Gary was another thing...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, RNG wasn't being stupid about 70% accuracy back then?

Also Haxorus would be broken enough with Choice item + buffed atk

Blizzard? Looking it up, Lance's Yellow team really got around the while AI thing the next time around...

And Blizzard was apparently the fun thing in Gen 1 - it's accuracy was 90%, and while it was 10% to freeze here, apparently it was 30% in RG...

Stage On

Its pretty weird to think back in RBY that Gengar was a counter to guys like Gyarados and Dragonite.

Well when you only have 150 to work with it's understandable that some choices could be rather odd.

Ghost types where practically useless back then too, the anime so lied about how they where good to take down Psychics, but then again that was when Psychic types where still Over powered.

I wonder what sort of oversight that was, making Psychics so overpowered lol.

Even if they didn't mess up the type table:
Weak against Ghost? Ooh, I'll get Licked to death.
Weak against Bug? Lol bug moves.

Among all the other little things... it really was the first game, for better or worse.

MikeMyers

I wonder what sort of oversight that was, making Psychics so overpowered lol.

Weak against Ghost? Ooh, I'll get Licked to death.
Weak against Bug? Lol bug moves.

Among all the other little things... it really was the first game, for better or worse.

Psychic is immune to Ghost in RBY.

Also I thought Normal was considered the best type in RBY?

Psychic is immune to Ghost in RBY.

Also I thought Normal was considered the best type in RBY?
Also, I didn't really get into the competitive scene back then, it seems that there were a mix of Normals in the OU - Blissey, Tauros, Snorlax, Persian.

Although Mewtwo was on another level...

In any case, I was happy with my Charizard - Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Fire Spin/Cut, aww yeah

balddemon

Banned
my favorite memory of pokemon, ever, comes from when i was just like 8 or 9 and playing yellow (maybe blue). anyways all i did was use sandslash and dodrio. they were both like lvl 70 when i finally won with just those two. when i won i was so happy i called my best friend to tell him haha. lorelei was so difficult to beat....then after that, bruno was cake (flying/ground), agatha was cake (straight up dig + slash), lance was tough and i don't remember how i beat him, and i must have had a rock move for gary, since i picked venusaur and charizard would have been tough.

those were the days. i miss being young and carefree

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Okay, so they're bringing Team Plasma (Colress, Ghetsis and Genesect) in the anime, N seems to be on good terms with Ash, N meets Reshiram (so I guess Ash gets Zekrom), Charizard is back, and all other stuff.

Top Bottom