• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

It would be cool if you could actually take off in the space shuttle in mosedeep and visit a space station for a special mission

I beat the Elite 4 so many times to try and get the shuttle to take me to the Deoxys event on the moon that my friend assured me was real.

I didn't have the internet at the time, alright? >.<
I feel like regretting that poke-cry thread :S

Wow, only took until the fifth post for the thread to be shat on.

I beat the Elite 4 so many times to try and get the shuttle to take me to the Deoxys event on the moon that my friend assured me was real.

Mew is under the truck by the S.S. Anne. You gotta get the keys off of the slot machine in the Game Corner.

I feel like regretting that poke-cry thread :S

The original 151 are so damn good. Nintendo should have just stopped after that. What kind of fans are they trying to attract with these new, over-designed monstrosities? Back when I was six years old, it was all about Charizard and Mewtwo. Know what I'm saying? They were so cool. And they had simple designs! They didn't need a bunch of stupid gimmicks to get people's attention.

Fuck this new shit. Nintendo just doesn't know when to give it up. They should just re-release the original Red and Blue for iOS and be done with it. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

The original 151 are so damn good. Nintendo should have just stopped after that. What kind of fans are they trying to attract with these new, over-designed monstrosities? Back when I was six years old, it was all about Charizard and Mewtwo. Know what I'm saying? They were so cool. And they had simple designs! They didn't need a bunch of stupid gimmicks to get people's attention.

Fuck this new shit. Nintendo just doesn't know when to give it up. They should just re-release the original Red and Blue for iOS and be done with it. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Hahahaha. OG 151 have some sick mons though. Gotta give em that.

Firestorm

Dang the cards sure have changed since the old days when I used to play at the local Pokemon league back when we still had one around here
Kinda. That's just the ultra rare full art version though. Full Art Supporters run about $20 - $25ea. The regular ones are about $1 each. And damn these turned out bigger than I thought:

bianca-emerging-powers-epo-90.jpg

Skyla

N

Cheren

Juniper (FA coming in English in May probably)

Kinda. That's just the ultra rare full art version though. Full Art Supporters run about $20 - $25ea. The regular ones are about $1 each. And damn these turned out bigger than I thought:

Wow, those full art cards look great. Now I'm tempted to buy a booster or two to see if I get lucky. Haven't bought pokemon cards in over a decade.

Wiseblade

Full art cards are nice! Probably the only good thing about Cardfight Vanguard is that all the cards are like that. Shame the game is a mess though.

Firestorm

Wow, those full art cards look great. Now I'm tempted to buy a booster or two to see if I get lucky. Haven't bought pokemon cards in over a decade.
2 full arts per box in the latest set (it has Cheren / Bianca / Skyla so best chance of a supporter is that one). So 2 per 36 packs have a full art. There 9 Full Arts in the last set: 3 supporters and 6 pokemon but only 2 of the pokemon are any good.

http://pkmncards.com/set/boundaries-crossed/

I was actually looking at getting some pokemon cards when my friends and I were picking up some Return to Ravnica boosters. What would one recommend as a good starter purchase to get back into it?

Finally got around to doing a lot of things in White 2, and I did it... after some resets, getting my dream Reshi and Kyu.

"Fuse with which Pokémon?"

I like how the message is ever-so-non-specific despite the item's purpose being so obvious.

Don't play Pokémon, play Yu-Gi-Oh instead!

I played a lot of it when I was younger.. but I'm on a pokemon binge right now haha. I just really want to collect them. Magic is the only card game I'm going to be playing competitively, I guess. Still, a lot of people play pokemon at the local card shop. I think I'll just buy a bunch of boosters or something.

Stage On

It's ok, but in the day I tried the to find Mew underneath the Truck. I'm sure most of us have fallen of one of those type of rumors at least once.

Man I wish they had the full art versions back in the day. I would have made a killing with them

Hahahaha. OG 151 have some sick mons though. Gotta give em that.

Well, sure. A lot of my favorites really are from the first set. Look at my avatar. But every generation has some of my favorites. They're all equally great.

Unfortunately, every Pokémon thread devolves into an argument about how terrible the new stuff is and how the original designs were the PokéGods gift to man.

Well, sure. A lot of my favorites really are from the first set. Look at my avatar. But every generation has some of my favorites. They're all equally great.

Unfortunately, every Pokémon thread devolves into an argument about how terrible the new stuff is and how the original designs were the PokéGods gift to man.

False, Lets be honest here. A certain gen or two has more stinkers than the others (and less new pokemon in general)

False, Lets be honest here. A certain gen or two has more stinkers than the others (and less new pokemon in general)

I don't mean to say there isn't a best set, or you can't rank them in order of preference. If not equally great, maybe I should say equally deserving of existing?

You wouldn't wish any of the mainline games and their new Pokémon gone, would you? Some people would.

Anth0ny

gen rankings, Pokemon design wise:

1>2>5>3>4

Every gen has awesome designs and stinkers. Even my beloved gens 1 and 2 aren't perfect. I kinda despise gen 4 because of some abomination evolutions of gen 1 Pokemon... but it has Garchomp. And Glaceon.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I got fuuucked up by a Sub bulk up Toxicroak.

gen rankings, Pokemon design wise:

1>2>5>3>4

Every gen has awesome designs and stinkers. Even my beloved gens 1 and 2 aren't perfect. I kinda despise gen 4 because of some abomination evolutions of gen 1 Pokemon... but it has Garchomp. And Glaceon.

Gen 2 designs are booty butt cheeks, and the designs of the pokemon are the only thing I liked in gen 3.

Firestorm

I was actually looking at getting some pokemon cards when my friends and I were picking up some Return to Ravnica boosters. What would one recommend as a good starter purchase to get back into it?
Like a theme deck to play some casual games with or boosters?

Theme Decks aren't very competitive, but the best one out right now is IceShock because it comes with Blastoise which is a pretty good card as well as a few useful trainers (Skyla, Switch, and to an extent Cheren, Energy Retrieval, and Energy Search). I highly recommend this article.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/IceShock_(TCG)

To build up on cards, you can grab boosters from the most recent 3 sets (Boundaries Crossed, Dragons Exalted, and Dark Explorers) for the most valuable cards. I believe Dark Explorers has a good amount of staples so it's a good one.

You can also grab Mewtwo or Darkrai tins if you find 'em at a decent price ($16 or lower I'd say although not sure about US prices):
http://pokebeach.com/2012/06/fall-2012-tins-legendary-ex-tins

Darkrai EX and Mewtwo EX are two of the best Pokemon in the game and each tin comes with the featured Pokemon as a promo card along with 4 boosters (2x Dragons Exalted, 1x Black & White, 1x Emerging Powers). Black & White and Emerging Powers are pretty bad sets overall, but Emerging Powers does have Pokemon Catcher ($12+ card) and Max Potion ($4) as uncommons which makes it kinda nice.

Only cards released starting with Black & White and later are legal in competitive play right now. Pokemon follows a rotation system.

Don't play Pokémon, play Yu-Gi-Oh instead!
Please. Pokemon is the superior children's card game. Seriously. Nobody I talk to has anything good to say about YGO. Bad playerbase, terrible game at the moment, and expensive cards. YGO has more theft than Magic and Pokemon combined, the game is either won or lost on turn 2, and the cards (although not as expensive as Magic obviously) are much more expensive than Pokemon.

Wiseblade

Please. Pokemon is the superior children's card game. Seriously. Nobody I talk to has anything good to say about YGO. Bad playerbase, terrible game at the moment, and expensive cards. YGO has more theft than Magic and Pokemon combined, the game is either won or lost on turn 2, and the cards (although not as expensive as Magic obviously) are much more expensive than Pokemon.

The current state of the game is pretty decent. YGO players just love to complain. Duels on average last much longer than turn 2, although the game is still really fast compared to MtG, Pokémon and even Cardfight Vanguard. things like a bad playerbase and rampant theft seem like they have more to do with the community in your area. I've never had any issues like that before. (Then again, I've never played with a really expensive deck until the one I'm using from January onward, so...)

Stage On

I think i'll deal with it just fine, dont get me wrong I like all the gens, but that doesnt mean i dont think some gens dont have worse pokemon designs or worse regions or are worse overall.

Yes but even gens that have problems usually get fixed in the third version.

I will freely admit that Diamond and Pearl aren't the greatest but Platinum is amazing due to how much it corrected

Well that's dumb. People hate change, I mean just look at the Halo OT. I love all the Halo games.. minus reach lol.

So I just completed the first gym and holy fuck. BW2 is amazing. The amount of pokemon available and the variety of them is insane compared to BW. I already have a Riolu! I never had one of these guys, it's so awesome.

My current team after just defeating the first gym.

-Oshawott
-Riolu
-Mareep
-Psyduck
-Purrloin
-Sewaddle

ffdgh

Well that's dumb. People hate change, I mean just look at the Halo OT. I love all the Halo games.. minus reach lol.

So I just completed the first gym and holy fuck. BW2 is amazing. The amount of pokemon available and the variety of them is insane compared to BW. I already have a Riolu! I never had one of these guys, it's so awesome.

My current team after just defeating the first gym.

-Oshawott
-Riolu
-Mareep
-Psyduck
-Purrloin
-Sewaddle

Nice.

warning tho. Riolu will unintentionally lead your team through everything ingame as a lucario if you let it XD

I just beat the 5th gym.

My team is
Serperior
Darumaka
Heracross
Azumarill
Zoroark
Unfezant

Everthings around level 35. I like this game so much. Darumaka is one of my favorite pokemon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
For me design-wise

5 >>>>> 3 >= 2 > 4 > 1

With that said just because I think the overall designs of mons are ranked like that doesn't mean I find really good ones solely on 5 or 3.

Top Bottom