• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

PK Gaming

Randomly found this on 4chan:

hbLqG.png

So beautiful. Gen 1 makes anything better. Especially the music! and the towns...

lol

nice

some of these are really well made

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, how can Eevee guy beat Ash if the final episode for the current season/arc is Pikachu vs Lucario?

Eevee will always be awesome but I can't help but be dissapointed with all the evolutions they never gave it a normal type evolution. I think it would be pretty sweet to see an adult eevee evolutionthat isn't dictated by a type.

Macka

I haven't watched the Pokemon anime in forever - never even got up to the point where his voice changed. This new B/W filler arc sounds really cool though, so I'm keen to get back into it.

What is Ash's team at the moment anyway? In this tournament against the Eevee guy?

Stage On

Hey man, I never capture Gyarados evolved. I always train it straight from a Magikarp.

Except for Red Gyarados obviously

Yah it's more fun that way to earn your Gyarados through blood sweet and tears of hard work. Thing is a pain in the ass to level up but once it does man is it epic

Wiseblade

I'm curious now. If you had access to every one of Ash's pokemon and were facing that Darkrai what would be your team?

Didn't we have this discussion, like, a couple of days ago? Anyway, my team would have been pretty much the same, although I would have taken Charizard and Buizel instead of Torkoal and Gible. Charizard is a seasoned Legend-Killer and Buizel is Ash's most competent water type.

So I decided to watch the Isshu league. It's pretty underwhelming as far as leagues go. All the fights have been stock fests, which is disappointing after the Sinnoh League actually looking pretty nice. And losing to the misinformed kid is weak (I don't actually know what his name is, since the subbing team seem to have stopped completely), even is his plot-powered Riolu is evolving mid battle. But there's not named characters left in the tournament and Ash has never lost a league battle to somebody who wasn't introduced before the match. And the last two people Ash lost to in a league went on to win the whole thing, so...

Stage On

You mean ash is going to lose to a trainer that took only 5 pokemon to a 6 v 6 battle?

Arcus damn it! How can they keep screwing over the main character like this? It's insane since I can't think of any other series where the main character is NEVER allowed to win a big tournament at some point and advance.

I hereby rename Kotetsu Trollketsu.

I am really really sad that after the fantastic DP league we got this mediocre league with out even one proper 6 vs 6 battle.

This is just beyond pathetic. Even his loss to Richie was better then this bullshit. At least then he only lost due to Team rockets interference and Charizard's disobedience.

The only possible redemption Best wishe's could have now is if Ash brings back his reserves and absolutely STEAM ROLLS Trollketsu back to the black abyss of the writers hearts.

It really is sad that Ash keeps losing. It's the #1 reason I get frustrated with the anime. Dude should be a world-class trainer by now with all of the crap he's been through.

Arcus damn it! How can they keep screwing over the main character like this? It's insane since I can't think of any other series where the main character is NEVER allowed to win a big tournament at some point and advance.

He won the imaginary Orange League!

Stage On

Wait, Virgil (the eeveelution guy) is still in the tournament! There's still hope!

Pft, at this point I have no hope seeing at how bad the first half of this battle has been handled. Literally full of fail.

Even if Ash somehow beats Trollketsu by using his last unrevealed Pokemon any further battle against Virgil would be so rushed that it couldn't possibly be satisfying.

Anth0ny

I thought the whole point of the Pokemon anime was that winning didn't matter, and what's important is you're a good person who takes good care of your Pokemon.

and marketing toys and video games to young boys

Pft, at this point I have no hope seeing at how bad the first half of this battle has been handled. Literally full of fail.

Even if Ash somehow beats Trollketsu by using his last unrevealed Pokemon any further battle against Virgil would be so rushed that it couldn't possibly be satisfying.

Eevee sweeps Ash's whole team!

Stage On

It really is sad that Ash keeps losing. It's the #1 reason I get frustrated with the anime. Dude should be a world-class trainer by now with all of the crap he's been through.

The worst part is that after Diamond and Pearl he DID feel like a world class trainer. Even though he finished in the top 4 everyone knew he was really the second strongest in the league.

Ash has taken out Legendary Pokemon and is supposed to be good enough to be a Frontier Brain, trainers that are strong enough to be comparable to Elite 4 levels and then this Tarous poo that is Best Wishes happens :(

He won the imaginary Orange League!

That's only a minor victory compared to winning a REAL league since he only had to fight one trainer.

I thought the whole point of the Pokemon anime was that winning didn't matter, and what's important is you're a good person who takes good care of your Pokemon.

and marketing toys and video games to young boys

I've seen other anime say stuff like that and even then at least the Main character in those is able to win SOME major victories.

NTom64

Ash winning the Orange League was probably the best thing to ever happen to the series (and why I love the saga so much despite it being filler). It was pretty much a redemption story for him after losing the Indigo League, and him taming Charizard and beating Drake was pretty much the conclusion to that story. A very satisfying one too.

Nowadays there's really no reason for him to lose any of the tournaments. It was silly in Diamond and Pearl (contrived, even) when a guy with not one but TWO legendaries comes out of nowhere and slaps the shit out of him, but losing to some scatterbrained fool is beyond silly. It's downright idiotic. And sure, it'd be boring if he won all the time, but when he loses and just treats his losses like nothing (because friendship's more important or whatever) then what's the point of even spending 50+ episodes to get to that point?

Boss Doggie

I honestly can understand his loss in Johto and Hoenn league. It's the fucking Sinnoh one that annoys me a lot.

Boss Doggie

Was the battle frontier really filler? I consider it canon in a sense that it has some semblance in the games.

Top Bottom