• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Anybody wanna hop on a gen iv game and hatch me a horsea real quick. Jolly is preferred.

Or ill take an egg as well

Edit: fucking A. Im also looking for a spare ice beam and thunderbolt tm. You cant even get those until kanto. Jesus gamefreak.

MikeMyers

66752_421183907953234_1406818009_n.jpg

NoRéN

Pokemon Gold Version is the greatest version and it clearly, undoubtedly, transcends all the other Pokemon games by such a substantial margin that there aren't enough numbers to calculate how much, or comprehend the difference as it is infinite beyond infinity infinities.

Pokemon Black & White and Black & White 2 are a plague to the franchise and their gruesome infection has cursed it unto ashes and oblivion. They have tarnished and sullied what was once an amazing franchise that children everywhere weep in an endless sorrow due to their creation.

NoRéN;45688701 said:
Pokemon Gold Version is the greatest version and it clearly, undoubtedly, transcends all the other Pokemon games by such a substantial margin that there aren't enough numbers to calculate how much, or comprehend the difference as it is infinite beyond infinity infinities.

Pokemon Black & White and Black & White 2 are a plague to the franchise and their gruesome infection has cursed it unto ashes and oblivion. They have tarnished and sullied what was once an amazing franchise that children everywhere weep in an endless sorrow due to their creation.

Oh, that's funny.

You're funny, NoRéN.

Wait, I just realized Ruby version is like 10 years old soon.

O_O

It's already been more than 10 years if we're going by the Japanese release :p

Anyways, I'm planning on making an Anniversary thread to commemorate Gen III's big 1-0 next spring (provided the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance thread doesn't take up too much of my time).

Don't say that. You're just gonna be so much more disappointed when none of those remakes happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did get Ruby and Sapphire remakes a few years down the line.

Unless there are drastic changes to the franchise in the future, though, I can't see them going any further than that.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'd rather there be drastic changes to the franchise than more remake cycles. :(

Series needs better internet integration in a big way. Cloud-based storage/utilities for managing collections. Better GTS with better filters. Fuller online battle support with ranking system and match making.

Also stuff like the UI needs a massive overhaul. The minor upgrades from game to game are laughable. We're basically still playing a 2 button game. You could argue that that's nice for the kiddies, but I don't understand how said kiddies can navigate all the obtuse, ridiculous systems in these games. I can't even make sense out of half the WiFi/Wireless/Infrared/Whatever connectivity systems here. Seems like Gamefreak and/or Nintendo are just constantly so far behind the curve that these games are never going to evolve at a rate that's satisfactory for me anymore and that's sad because I fricken love these games.

Well, matchmaking and ranking already exist in the Global Battle Union, in that you are matched against people with a similar point value to yours, as well as your W/L/D record in every match type offered being recorded on your PGL account and your rank being compared against every other player on GBU, with resets every season.

BW and BW2 have already taken little steps in streamlining certain aspects, but there's always progress to be made to be sure - I'll think of an improvement list later.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
IMO only G1 and G2 need remakes. 3 pretty much started the "new" format, so to say, that is found even in G5.

NoRéN;45688701 said:
Pokemon Gold Version is the greatest version

Your credibility is lost there even if we're just talking in G2 comparison.

Superior Silver.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Pokecheck and other online storages work so well.

I'm completely ignorant to stuff like this but in looking at the page for that it seems like a neat service that does things the game should already do officially. What is an example of a good online storage? I'd love to be able to safely consolidate my collection between all my Gen4/5 games.

ffdgh

I'm completely ignorant to stuff like this but in looking at the page for that it seems like a neat service that does things the game should already do officially. What is an example of a good online storage? I'd love to be able to safely consolidate my collection between all my Gen4/5 games.

again pokecheck :p.

If you have internet, follow the instructions on the main page.

LiQuid!

again pokecheck :p.

If you have internet, follow the instructions on the main page.

Heh, ok thanks, I'm looking into it. Reading the FAQ and stuff and it seems like it's written for people that already know what they're doing. I'm over 30, my brain is deteriorating.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
True.

Then again FRLG was a terrible remake. It's just G1 with G3 skin. The pointless limitations like no eggs, daycare, etc. was stupid. At least HGSS was more sensible in that even though it is a remake of 2, it didn't limit the systems in Gen 2 until post game.

MikeMyers

True.

Then again FRLG was a terrible remake. It's just G1 with G3 skin. The pointless limitations like no eggs, daycare, etc. was stupid. At least HGSS was more sensible in that even though it is a remake of 2, it didn't limit the systems in Gen 2 until post game.

I like FRLG, but I wish they updated the Gym Leaders rosters a bit more with better movesets. At the worst...could have used the PKMN Yellow rosters

I would have done:

Brock: Geodude, Onix
Misty: Staryu, Starmie
L.T Surge: Electrode, Magenton, Raichu
Erika: Victrebell, Tangela, Vileplume
Koga: Muk, Weezing, Tentacruel
Sabrina: Hypno, Mr. Mime, Alakazam
Blaine: Rapidash, Ninetails, Magmar
Giovanni: Dugtrio, Persian, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Rhydon
Lorelei: Dewgong, Cloyster, Slowbro, Jynx, Lapras
Bruno: Primeape, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Poliwrath, Machamp
Agatha: Gengar, Arbok, Haunter, Golbat, Gengar
Lance: Dragonair, Gyarados, Charizard, Aerodactyl, Dragonite
Gary: Tauros, Golem, Dodrio, Gyarados, Arcanine, Exeggutor
Lorelei (Rematch): Dewgong, Cloyster, Piloswine, Sneasel, Jynx, Lapras
Bruno (Rematch): Primeape, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Hitmontop, Poliwrath, Machamp
Agatha (Rematch): Gengar, Arbok, Haunter, Misdreavous, Crobat, Gengar
Lance (Rematch): Dragonair, Gyarados, Charizard, Aerodactyl, Kingdra, Dragonite
Gary (Rematch): Heracross, Tyranitar, Skarmory, Gyarados, Arcanine, Exeggutor

I'd post my move sets for them if anyone is interested.

True.

On the other hand, type balance, moves, Abilities... you can't remove what made Gen III and later great even in a G1 remake.

Zeroth

True.

But they had daycare and eggs? FRLG was quite an improvement upon the original Gen, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

newarrior

Anyone got a Tornadus from Black 1 they're willing to lend me? Last one I need to finish of the dex...

[edit] Oops, need Vullaby/Mandibuzz, too.

MikeMyers

Well...another reason to hate Lance is that he uses the worst Gyarados sets ever.

RBY: Dragon Rage/Hydro Pump/Leer/Hyper Beam

Got his main two moves on there, but Dragon Rage is too weak at the point of the game. And Leer? Seriously?

REVAMPED: Hydro Pump/Blizzard/Thunder/Hyper Beam

GSC: Rain Dance/Surf /Flail/Hyper Beam

If you are gonna use RD to boost your STAB, at least use Thunder to go with it. And Hydro Pump over Surf, Gyarados needs all the power it needs with that SpA nerf it got in Johto.

REVAMPED: Rain Dance/Hydro Pump/Thunder/Hyper Beam

FGLG: Twister/Bite/Dragon Rage/Hyper Beam

The WORST of the worst...I'm ok with Hyper Beam since its Lance's is signature attack but the rest is terrible. Bite is a low power Dark move off his mediocre SpA, same for Twister. Thankfully, the rematch of this gave him a decent set...which I will put in the revamp.

REVAMPED: Dragon Dance/Earthquake/Thunder Wave/Hyper Beam

HGSS: Dragon Pulse/Flail/Waterfall/Ice Fang

Not too bad actually, just get rid off Dragon Pulse.

REVAMPED: @Wacan Berry - Dragon Dance/Flail/Waterfall/Ice Fang

So out of curiosity what are PokeGAFs expectations for a 3DS pokemon.

New region with lots of new pokemon? A Gold/Silver to our Black/White adding new pokemon and complimenting the most recent additions from Black and white? How about when it will release? Spring 2014?

How about design? Will is be the same 3D top down just no more sprites? Will we get to see the Pokedex 3D models in action?

I'm really excited for the prospects of a 3DS pokemon. The system is significantly more capable than the DS was. I planned on not getting a 3DS until a pokemon became available but there were too many good deals on the XL recently.

I want full 3D with battles on the same field as the rest of the gameplay. No more cutting to an almost nondescript background barely representative of where you're at. Freaking Golden Sun on the GBA destroyed Pokémon's battle scenes.

More of the same, which I do not mind in the least.

Hah, I'm okay with this so long as there's some slight improvements. I definitely don't need large changes or updates, but they are welcome.

Fully 3D. Mostly new Pokemon. Some shakeup to the game systems maybe, though I'm not sure what else they could do after the Physical/Special split.

By fully 3D do you still expect a top down camera perspective. The current pokemon is 3D with sprites mixed in for the characters. It would be interesting to see if we could have some control over camera perspective in a 3D environment.

I want full 3D with battles on the same field as the rest of the gameplay. No more cutting to an almost nondescript background barely representative of where you're at. Freaking Golden Sun on the GBA destroyed Pokémon's battle scenes.

I can get behind that. I thought it was a great touch on the first gym in black and white two how you see the actual gym battle chalk outlines on the trainers you face before the gym leader. Only would have been better if we battled on that actual field.

Also hells yes, golden sun was amazing.

Top Bottom