• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Kokonoe

Banned
True.

Then again FRLG was a terrible remake. It's just G1 with G3 skin. The pointless limitations like no eggs, daycare, etc. was stupid. At least HGSS was more sensible in that even though it is a remake of 2, it didn't limit the systems in Gen 2 until post game.

Thumbs up.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I pray in Gen VI

- more streamlined move learning: just PAY for tutor moves and relearning instead of collecting heart scales and shards
- much easier way of reading IVs
- hopefully a more streamlined use of HM (i.e. none at all but turn the field actions as items while HMs themselves are turned into TMs)
- faster health bar
- less pixels in sprites
- a bit more streamlined in field moves (i.e. no more loading from buildings unless it's a dungeon)

ffdgh

....I want stats reajustments for alot of pokemon and more movepool options/access to more rare moves. Freaking VS seeker.

Keep improving online, street pass and spotpass. flareon learn flareblitz

MikeMyers

....I want stats reajustments for alot of pokemon and more movepool options/access to more rare moves. Freaking VS seeker.

Keep improving online, street pass and spotpass. flareon learn flareblitz

Flareon with V-create and Contray ability.

Now we are talking.

I knew someone would say that. I'm not even talking animations. Just the static background.

649 Pokémon doesn't stop you from having more than maybe twenty differently colored circles to represent every battle environment in the game.

Why does the background matter? That's one of the most questionable complaints about the series.

ffdgh

The nsmb series comes to mind. It would be interesting to see a background improvement like nsmbu....or just make them more like pokestar.

Why does the background matter? That's one of the most questionable complaints about the series.

I never said it was my only complaint with the game. It's just one nobody brings up.

Why doesn't the background matter? Battles are a major part of the game for them to still take place on such boring screens. Detailed backgrounds would be a major improvement to the aesthetics of the games.

DLUUL.png

B2/W2 for DS

vs

http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/gsdarkdawn/sheet/46516

Golden Sun Dark Dawn for DS

So, I'm not sure how it took me this long.

I'm going for the third gym badge, when I just now notice I can get fresh water for 200$ and that restores 50hp. A Potion is 300$ and Super potion is 700$. Why would I every buy these??

ffdgh

I'm going for the third gym badge, when I just now notice I can get fresh water for 200$ and that restores 50hp. A Potion is 300$ and Super potion is 700$. Why would I every buy these??

You're learning :D

Never buy potions....until the better ones come later.

lemonade is all you need from vending machines.

I never said it was my only complaint with the game. It's just one nobody brings up.

Why doesn't the background matter? Battles are a major part of the game for them to still take place on such boring screens. Detailed backgrounds would be a major improvement to the aesthetics of the games.
Nobody brings it up because it's right near the bottom of the list of things to change in the game. Battle animations, poses, 3D enviroments, etc. THOSE are things that I can understand. But backgrounds? Who truly gives a shit?

It's a laziness check, since you can't buy water/lemonade/soda in bulk.

OceanBlue

Crazy, right? I just beat BW2 and I spent most of the game putting off buying healing items from the shop. Casteliacones (Full Heals worth $100) and vending machine items or Moo Moo Milks (If I remember correctly, you can buy them for $500 and they heal 100HP). I really didn't want to buy Hyper Potions when I had to because of how expensive they were...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You're learning :D

Never buy potions....until the better ones come later.

lemonade is all you need from vending machines.

Hehehe yup.

Honestly I'm waiting for a 150HP heal item.

Nobody brings it up because it's right near the bottom of the list of things to change in the game. Battle animations, poses, 3D enviroments, etc. THOSE are things that I can understand. But backgrounds? Who truly gives a shit?
It's a laziness check, since you can't buy water/lemonade/soda in bulk.

Join Avenue gives you bulked Fresh Waters and Moo Moo Milks!

ffdgh

And more cheapness, Super repel is a better deal money wise than max repel.

I miss my epic avenue....thankfully my 3ds is coming back from nintendo after 2 weeks without it >_>

I'm not sure how you can argue it isn't something that deserves improvement alongside everything else mentioned focusing on visuals. It's not like you have to pick one point and ignore the others because you don't give a big enough shit.

I honestly never thought I'd argue this point with anyone when I brought it up. If the backgrounds don't matter, let's go back to a white screen like the Gen I/II games. It will give Game Freak more time to focus on animations. Those colored circles are really stealing away valuable man-hours.

I'm not sure how you can argue it isn't something that deserves improvement alongside everything else mentioned focusing on visuals. It's not like you have to pick one point and ignore the others because you don't give a big enough shit.

I honestly never thought I'd argue this point with anyone when I brought it up. If the backgrounds don't matter, let's go back to a white screen like the Gen I/II games. It will give Game Freak more time to focus on animations. Those colored circles are really stealing away valuable man-hours.

Because they DON'T matter as much as the other stuff. I've never once before today heard of someone wanting a more vibrant background, and that's probably because nobody cares. If I was talking to someone at Game Freak and they asked me what I would want changed for a 3DS version, anything to do with backgrounds would be near the absolute bottom. And I'd be willing to bet money that it would be the same for 99% of people who play Pokemon to begin with. "Better visuals" to a lot of people means cleaner sprites, nicer-looking towns, a better inventory layout, etc. Battle backgrounds are rightfully not on anyone's minds.

The only time I ever once cared about the background is to check if my Dusk Ball would have a higher catch rate. And even then, a cursory glance at a clock would do give me the same result, but would take a few seconds longer.

Because they DON'T matter as much as the other stuff. I've never once before today heard of someone wanting a more vibrant background, and that's probably because nobody cares. If I was talking to someone at Game Freak and they asked me what I would want changed for a 3DS version, anything to do with backgrounds would be near the absolute bottom. And I'd be willing to bet money that it would be the same for 99% of people who play Pokemon to begin with. "Better visuals" to a lot of people means cleaner sprites, nicer-looking towns, a better inventory layout, etc. Battle backgrounds are rightfully not on anyone's minds.

The only time I ever once cared about the background is to check if my Dusk Ball would have a higher catch rate. And even then, a cursory glance at a clock would do give me the same result, but would take a few seconds longer.

Ugh. No more sprites please. It's 3D time.

Also I really want backgrounds. You seem to really care about being right about this, it's kind of strange. Maybe some of us hate the battefields current style. It's pretty awful.

OceanBlue

Ugh. No more sprites please. It's 3D time.

Also I really want backgrounds. You seem to really care about being right about this, it's kind of strange. Maybe some of us hate the battefields current style. It's pretty awful.

I think the point is that some people (me included) don't care that much about battle backgrounds relative to, well, anything else. No one except for UltimateIke is saying we should get rid of backgrounds.

If I was talking to someone at Game Freak and they asked me what I would want changed for a 3DS version, anything to do with backgrounds would be near the absolute bottom.

Switching to separate backgrounds every battle is not something I would want on a 3DS version. I first mentioned the battle scenes because I expect the next games to use 3D models, and I just want them to use the overworld for the battleground. You know, actually show a battle in the gym you're standing in or the grassy field you're exploring. That's the point I was trying to make.

I only brought up Golden Sun and the shitty Pokémon backgrounds as a comparison point to demonstrate how much the visuals could have already improved in the recent games but didn't. In the grand scheme of designing the games, it's not the least bit important, but neither are any of the other purely visual improvements made over the years.

New and better backgrounds would be nice, it's not a necessity by any stretch but i'd welcome it, not even sure how this has become some sort of debate...oh wait, it's the Professor, not full of Beefmas cheer.

Stage On

And more cheapness, Super repel is a better deal money wise than max repel.

I miss my epic avenue....thankfully my 3ds is coming back from nintendo after 2 weeks without it >_>

If you're using an amulet coin then money should never really be an issue anyhow.

Switching to separate backgrounds every battle is not something I would want on a 3DS version. I first mentioned the battle scenes because I expect the next games to use 3D models, and I just want them to use the overworld for the battleground. You know, actually show a battle in the gym you're standing in or the grassy field you're exploring. That's the point I was trying to make.

I only brought up Golden Sun and the shitty Pokémon backgrounds as a comparison point to demonstrate how much the visuals could have already improved in the recent games but didn't. In the grand scheme of designing the games, it's not the least bit important, but neither are any of the other purely visual improvements made over the years.

The idea of a separate battle background can still be worth it when they transition to 3D. They could have unique backgrounds even then, with it being slightly more generic for normal battles, but use specific backgrounds for event/boss battles in the games. This does also give them the leeway to use more detail in a background than what could have been achieved with just reusing the overworld, if done properly.

That said, Pokestar Studios seem to be a good direction...

I wonder why nobody posted the movie-specific backgrounds, the green screen, and the trippy final battle. Seriously, things are leaning against Pokémon!

If there's one thing I like about Nintendo, it's that they don't listen to fans 90% of the time when it comes to design suggestions. They have a good track record of this so far with Pokemon, and I'm hoping they continue with it.

The fact that Mystery Dungeon's shift to 3D coincided with a vastly diminished lineup of Pokemon does kinda make me feel particularly uneasy about the potential for the sprites to be binned.

If there's one thing I like about Nintendo, it's that they don't listen to fans 90% of the time when it comes to design suggestions. They have a good track record of this so far with Pokemon, and I'm hoping they continue with it.

Heh. So true. One thing about fan requests is that... well, when you think about it deeply, it won't work one way or another. Sometimes, the game creators know what they are doing the best.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
So I've got somewhere between one and eleven billion hours of pokemon played in my lifetime among every gen and I've never tried actual battling aside from just throwing my single-player team into the shit for funsies (and getting thrashed royally). I've gotten it in my mind over the last couple days that I want to try. I've been looking at Smogon for general tactical advice/pokemon builds even though I don't aspire to that level of craziness or prowess. I'd be happy enough just whooping the occasional random kid or forum acquaintance on WiFi, so my expectations are mostly low and in check.

That said, after picking my first couple pokemon that I want to use, I've started what I consider the basic, preparatory stages of putting a team together and it seems like an incredible timesink. I mean I'm doing stuff like researching breed chains to egg moves on my guys and trading for them, making sure I have equipable items that I need (it seems like I will need multiple leftovers and some other rare items), and finding stray TMs that I haven't picked up yet (I'm still making my way through post-game stuff in Black, haven't touched B2W2 yet).

I haven't even done any final breeds yet, or done any EV training (I feel like I'm going to have to spend 20+ hours in the subway getting power items just for that), and I've already all but given up on the concept of breeding for IVs because that seems just too ridiculous for me. It honestly feels like it is going to be weeks, if not a month or more before I finally have a full team of battle ready pokemon. Am I totally off base and doing something wrong, or do the majority of people that battle, either in hardcore competitive scenes or just casually put this amount of work into assembling a crew?

Sorry if tl;dr. I'm scared. :(

backlot

So I've got somewhere between one and eleven billion hours of pokemon played in my lifetime among every gen and I've never tried actual battling aside from just throwing my single-player team into the shit for funsies (and getting thrashed royally). I've gotten it in my mind over the last couple days that I want to try. I've been looking at Smogon for general tactical advice/pokemon builds even though I don't aspire to that level of craziness or prowess. I'd be happy enough just whooping the occasional random kid or forum acquaintance on WiFi, so my expectations are mostly low and in check.

That said, after picking my first couple pokemon that I want to use, I've started what I consider the basic, preparatory stages of putting a team together and it seems like an incredible timesink. I mean I'm doing stuff like researching breed chains to egg moves on my guys and trading for them, making sure I have equipable items that I need (it seems like I will need multiple leftovers and some other rare items), and finding stray TMs that I haven't picked up yet (I'm still making my way through post-game stuff in Black, haven't touched B2W2 yet).

I haven't even done any final breeds yet, or done any EV training (I feel like I'm going to have to spend 20+ hours in the subway getting power items just for that), and I've already all but given up on the concept of breeding for IVs because that seems just too ridiculous for me. It honestly feels like it is going to be weeks, if not a month or more before I finally have a full team of battle ready pokemon. Am I totally off base and doing something wrong, or do the majority of people that battle, either in hardcore competitive scenes or just casually put this amount of work into assembling a crew?

Welcome to Pokemon!

Wiseblade

First off:

Welcome to Pokemon!

Secondly, Yes; getting started can be really tedious. Grinding the battle subway for power items, Farming for Dittos of different natures, getting ahold of multiple evolution/hold items... The best Advice I can give would be to start off small. At the beginning, raise something that deoesn't need Egg moves or have a complicated EV setup and isn't so item dependent, to get the hang of things. Then you can gradually work your way up to the super complicated stuff. And before you do any EV training, ask someone in this thread to trade you a Pokérus infected Pokémon. It'll save you countless hours.

I pray in Gen VI

- more streamlined move learning: just PAY for tutor moves and relearning instead of collecting heart scales and shards
- much easier way of reading IVs
- hopefully a more streamlined use of HM (i.e. none at all but turn the field actions as items while HMs themselves are turned into TMs)
- faster health bar
- less pixels in sprites
- a bit more streamlined in field moves (i.e. no more loading from buildings unless it's a dungeon)

So you want lower resolution sprites....
ugh

no it's not. maybe the next handheld. polygons still look like shit on 3ds.

A console RPG, on the other hand...
Pokedex 3D has incredibly high poly models.

Mechazawa

So I think it's been long enough that I can ask(and sorry if this was recently answered)

What's the general concensus on B/W2. Better than B/W1? Worse? If it's better, would I be able to skip the first one alright?

Top Bottom