• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

MikeMyers

Yeah fuck Fire/Fighting.

Earthquake?

They should make Gyrados part dragon.

Everybody says this, but as someone that has always had a Gyarados on their team, I actually disagree.

Dragons are really omnipresent in the metagame, and with 81 Base Speed, being a slow dragon sucks when Super Effective Outrage/Draco Meteor are everywhere.

Sure, Dragonite is slower than Gyarados and is effective in the metagame, but Dragonite at least has Multiscale to cancel the Super Effective hit, provided Stealth Rock didn't fuck him over prior to being attacked.

Kokonoe

Banned
I didn't realize Virizion was Grass/Fighting, that seems pretty interesting and the Pokemon isn't an uber either. I suppose I have another grass Pokemon to alternate with in my grass team.

I'll take that over getting a Fire/Fighting Starter for the 4th time in a row. Seriously they need to cut that out

I actually hope they don't dual type any of the starters next gen, but Fire/Fighting is really getting old. Although personally I'd like to start out with different types for once.

Stage On

I actually hope they don't dual type any of the starters next gen, but Fire/Fighting is really getting old. Although personally I'd like to start out with different types for once.

Well it would make the anime more interesting if nothing else since Ash always get at least one of the starters if not always all three.

Neki

Surf it into oblivion?

Neutral damage. Levitate on the pokemon would be better since it ignores Ground/Entry hazards. Though Dragon attacks would still be a problem. But at least it wouldn't be weak to Ice, yay! stupid 4x ice weakness dragons have, lol.

MikeMyers

Neutral damage. Levitate on the pokemon would be better since it ignores Ground/Entry hazards. Though Dragon attacks would still be a problem. But at least it wouldn't be weak to Ice, yay! stupid 4x ice weakness dragons have, lol.

Levitate wont help it with its Stealth Rock weakness!

Teknoman

So I thought I got really lucky today, and bought every GBA Pokemon main series titles off a guy for 5 bucks (he was trying to trade them in, but Gamestop doesnt take GBA anymore of course).

Of course, now i'm not sure if they are bootleg or not. They each look pretty legit (Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire are all clear, no giant battery present, same for Fire Red and Leaf Green...of course with the cartridges being slightly translucent), but i'm not sure if Nintendo ever made non-holofoil labels for later prints of the games.

ji9N30s0arfd4.jpg

jbpAwGzHMUfYq5.jpg

Firestorm

So I thought I got really lucky today, and bought every GBA Pokemon main series titles off a guy for 5 bucks (he was trying to trade them in, but Gamestop doesnt take GBA anymore of course).

Of course, now i'm not sure if they are bootleg or not. They each look pretty legit (Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire are all clear, no giant battery present, same for Fire Red and Leaf Green...of course with the cartridges being slightly translucent), but i'm not sure if Nintendo ever made non-holofoil labels for later prints of the games.
The Player's Choice FireRed my cousin got me for Christmas 2006 (with a copyright of Nintendo 2006) is still holofoil...

Teknoman

Look legit but make sure to look up online how to spot a bootleg from a fake. Great haul by the way!

So far everything matches, aside from the front not having those little numbers imprinted into the bottom right of the label. They seem to boot up just fine (must have run around in Ruby for awhile...love the theme for Rt. 104). The only thing that gets me is that none of the labels are holo...and either my memory is failing me, but I remember my original copies having holo labels...unless they stopped those with reprints.

The Player's Choice FireRed my cousin got me for Christmas 2006 (with a copyright of Nintendo 2006) is still holofoil...

Damn it :/ They've gotten really good at bootlegs then. The last time I saw a bootleg Ruby, you could clearly tell (Black cart, and the label looked alot darker than it should).

Teknoman

Probably that my save file will be really prone to corruption, or I guess if I trade Pokemon to another legit cart (not sure how Pal Park would take them) then it could mess up the save on that one. At least thats what i've read so far.

Kokonoe

Banned
As I've said before, I'd actually rather have 3DS Ruby and Sapphire before Gen VI.

Also, since Black and White are "colors", I suppose there's a chance they could go with metals since Gold and Silver were after Red and Blue.

Stage On

As I've said before, I'd actually rather have 3DS Ruby and Sapphire before Gen VI.

Also, since Black and White are "colors", I suppose there's a chance they could go with metals since Gold and Silver were after Red and Blue.

Don't they need a new game engine first for 3ds before they can do remakes?

Zeroth

So far everything matches, aside from the front not having those little numbers imprinted into the bottom right of the label. They seem to boot up just fine (must have run around in Ruby for awhile...love the theme for Rt. 104). The only thing that gets me is that none of the labels are holo...and either my memory is failing me, but I remember my original copies having holo labels...unless they stopped those with reprints.

Damn it :/ They've gotten really good at bootlegs then. The last time I saw a bootleg Ruby, you could clearly tell (Black cart, and the label looked alot darker than it should).

For some months I was seriously considering buying Gen III carts so I could finish my national dex on Sapphire, but the amount of bootlegs (along with giant prices that make them look like legit games) stopped me.

For some months I was seriously considering buying Gen III carts so I could finish my national dex on Sapphire, but the amount of bootlegs (along with giant prices that make them look like legit games) stopped me.

I have a spare copy of FireRed that I received by mistake if you really want it. Free of charge, of course.

Stage On

I loaded up Emerald the other day and boy does it feel outdated.

Too bad Nintendo didn't go balls to the wall with Black and White 2 and include Hoenn in them, Now that would have been revolutionary.

Top Bottom