• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Kokonoe has to take off her 'Pokemon are friends not tools' cap when it comes to the actual game and discussion, but that is a good observation. -laughs-

TPClv.png

Nah. In the original two generations you could max EVs in every stat at the same time, but there was still a limit on how many an individual stat could take. So Arcanine's stats would be 384/319/259/299/259/289 at their highest.

That's why I bothered with the max HP detail. :p

PK Gaming

I think we all know who'd win.

*condescendingly files nails*

real talk: Scrafty is actually a strong contender. It's really bulky so only the fighting-type ,moves can risky OHKOing. Scrafty can just use the Dragon Dance + Hi Jump Kick (or coverage move) combo to come out on top. CB Haxorus might just win though...

real talk: Scrafty is actually a strong contender. It's really bulky so only the fighting-type ,moves can risky OHKOing. Scrafty can just use the Dragon Dance + Hi Jump Kick (or coverage move) combo to come out on top. CB Haxorus might just win though...

But then I would be stuck with one move.

ffdgh

Decisions decisions.......Oh I know i'll use my choice band terrakion :D

gilljoy

Definitely. I still keep my copies of Silver and Platinum around. I don't have B2W2 yet, but having Plat and HG or SS makes it easier to get most pokemon without having to do all kinds of stupid pal park transfer nonsense.

HG/SS (correct me if I'm wrong) is the only game with the running shoes on a toggle switch(!). I swear those games were made by geniuses and then they let tards run the asylum for BW.

Picked up a copy of Soul silver today :) need to beat that and black before I even buy black and white 2.

Anyone fancy some friendly games once I get setup?

Wichu

Looks like there's a bug in the 4th gen games where under certain circumstances the shiny rate goes way up. I'm practically swimming in shiny Pokémon already and I'm only three hours into Pearl.

backlot

Looks like there's a bug in the 4th gen games where under certain circumstances the shiny rate goes way up. I'm practically swimming in shiny Pokémon already and I'm only three hours into Pearl.

Is there any way to repeat the bug? Do you have any idea how you did it?

Wichu

Is there any way to repeat the bug? Do you have any idea how you did it?

It's due to the way Cute Charm works outside of battle. Using a Cute Charm lead is supposed to make wild Pokémon have a 2/3 chance of being the opposite gender - however, the way the game does this screws with the shiny rates.

Assume the Pokémon with Cute Charm is male (so female Pokémon are more common):

In 2047/2048 save files, the effect is to cut the shiny rate by 1/3 (the Pokémon affected by Cute Charm will never be shiny).
But in the remaining 1/2048 saves, the effect is the opposite - the chance is increased. In 1/4 of those (1/8192), every Quirky-natured Pokémon affected by Cute Charm will be shiny, giving a 2/3 * 1/25 = 2/75 chance of finding a shiny.
In the other 3/4 of those 1/2048 (so 3/8192), any one of eight different natures will do, giving a 2/3 * 8/25 = 16/75 = 21.3% chance of a given wild Pokémon being shiny.

If the Pokémon with Cute Charm is female, the 1/2048 chance is different per gender ratio (there are 4 different gender ratios, so you have a 1/512 chance of it working with one of them).
This obviously limits which Pokémon it works on, so getting lucky and having a save file which works for males is better (since it will work for wild Pokémon with any gender ratio).

If you get this trick to work, then any shinies you get out of it will be limited to a few different natures:
Hardy/Lonely/Brave/Adamant/Naughty/Bold/Docile/Relaxed (16/75 chance of a shiny)
Impish/Lax/Timid/Hasty/Serious/Jolly/Naive/Modest (16/75 chance of a shiny)
Mild/Quiet/Bashful/Rash/Calm/Gentle/Sassy/Careful (16/75 chance of a shiny)
Quirky (2/75 chance of a shiny; obviously inferior but still better than 1/8192)

So dust off your 4th gen games, and see if you have one of those 5/2048 save files (the gender/gender ratios it works for are mutually exclusive; if it works for males it won't work for females etc)!

Note that this only works for wild Pokémon of variable genders (i.e. it won't work for most legendaries).

Busaiku

Gamefreak will switch Arcanine and Flareon's stats and movepool next gen.
And they'll also swap Special Attack and Speed.

Like they actually meant to do all along, but just forgot, but now they know better.

Sora_N

Trying to finish off main story for White (did not really enjoy this game that much tbqh).

Darmanitan (just evolved)
Samurott
Scrafty
Eelektrik
Excadrill
Gigalith

Average level is about level 40. I really hate Gigalith, and would like to replace him. I haven't touched the game for 2 months until this morning and I evolved Darumaka on the way to work. Any recommendations on what I could replace Gigalith that may benefit my team? I apparently got all 8 badges already (barely remember) so just need to get a better team put together and move on through E4, etc.

PK Gaming

So dust off your 4th gen games, and see if you have one of those 5/2048 save files (the gender/gender ratios it works for are mutually exclusive; if it works for males it won't work for females etc)!

Note that this only works for wild Pokémon of variable genders (i.e. it won't work for most legendaries).

how do i figure out it my gen IV is one of those special 5/2048 save files? Do I just have to brute force it and hope that my game produces a shiny?

Korosenai

Would anyone be willing to trade a cyndiquil? Would be much appreciated. I can offer a lvl. 1 adamant/technician scyther, would be good for getting a beast Scizor.

stn

Guys, question. Say I have one DS but want to trade my Platinum pokes into White 2. How reputable are those trading websites that exist? I won't lose my Pokes, right? I got a 3DS XL for Christmas but I'd rather return it and stick with my DS Lite. There's just nothing else I like on the 3DS.

Thanks.

ffdgh

Guys, question. Say I have one DS but want to trade my Platinum pokes into White 2. How reputable are those trading websites that exist? I won't lose my Pokes, right? I got a 3DS XL for Christmas but I'd rather return it and stick with my DS Lite. There's just nothing else I like on the 3DS.

Thanks.

It makes an exact clone. 100% safe.

gosox333

Decided to give breeding a try over the past couple days. I've always known about IV's, but I never actually thought about dealing with them. Well, four hours worth of playtime and five boxes of litwicks later, and I know IV's better than anybody should want to

(Not gonna post the pic directly, since it's kinda big)

I wanted perfects in HP, Special Attack, and Speed. I was willing to stop whenever I got all three, so the pretty decent defenses are a bonus.

ffdgh

Decided to give breeding a try over the past couple days. I've always known about IV's, but I never actually thought about dealing with them. Well, four hours worth of playtime and five boxes of litwicks later, and I know IV's better than anybody should want to

(Not gonna post the pic directly, since it's kinda big)

I wanted perfects in HP, Special Attack, and Speed. I was willing to stop whenever I got all three, so the pretty decent defenses are a bonus.

You might want to link your save to your account. Your link is unenviable lol.

Top Bottom