• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

injurai

Banned
Events? Mm...*presses finges to forehead*...right, now I remember.

PokeGTS

this looks extremely similar, site design wise as well.

Unless they updated or something they used to have the sprites of the pokemon that the event was for and you would set up a wifi connections that simulates that packets that the servers would be sending out.

It had the names of the individual events and stuff like these http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w...event_Pokémon_in_2010#English_Autumn_2010_Mew

REally not sure if this is it, but thanks.

Kokonoe

Banned
It proves that you can't fit two regions on a Game Boy cartridge and that having one felly featured region is better than having two half-regions.

GSC are a mess and anyone saying otherwise is blinded by nostalgia.

KnNwQ.gif

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I didn't order any games with my 3DS. I racked my brain for hours and couldn't find a single one worth buying. :3

Edit: No accessories either! I only ride bareback! Aside from looking like it lost a fight to a belt sander my OG DS phat still looks/runs perfect! Hopefully I get 2/3 decade out of my swank, purple 3DS too!

Kokonoe

Banned
I didn't order any games with my 3DS. I racked my brain for hours and couldn't find a single one worth buying. :3

Edit: No accessories either! I only ride bareback! Aside from looking like it lost a fight to a belt sander my OG DS phat still looks/runs perfect! Hopefully I get 2/3 decade out of my swank, purple 3DS too!

I had the 3DS since last November and didn't find many games that appealed to me either. I enjoyed Ocarina of Time 3D and Mario 3D Land, but nothing else really appealed to me from the games I bought/played on it. Maybe after a year or two I'll get one again.

Ooh, announcement on the 8th? Awesome :D

I know it's probably wishful thinking, but I'd love for Gen VI to be a 2013 release in the US.

Nice avatar.

Macka

I know it's probably wishful thinking, but I'd love for Gen VI to be a 2013 release in the US.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But that's because BW is pretty much hard to outdo. At least BW2 has the best Pokemon spread in all gens. With that said BW2's problems isn't similar to GSC's sparse TWO regions.

Also a friend showed this to me.

A main series game release in Japan by the end of this year isn't too far outside the realms of possibility, but....yeah, it's pretty unlikely that we'll see Gen VI in English until around March/April 2014 at the absolute earliest.

Some things to consider...
Ruby & Sapphire came out in Japan in late November 2002, 20 months to the day after the GBA was released.
Diamond & Pearl came out in Japan in late September 2006, around 22 months after the original DS was released there.
So if we assume a similar lead time for the next gen....the 3DS was released in late February 2011 in Japan. So that's somewhere between October and December of 2013 that we'd expect the next main series game to come out in Japan.
...the only problem there is that we don't know if we're really making all the right assumptions here. Do we know that Harmoknight hasn't somehow disrupted their usual development cycle? It's difficult to tell if Drill Dozer increased the time between Gen III and Gen IV, but if it did, then this one could get delayed a bit. Also, is it even safe for us to assume that development times for the games haven't changed dramatically from the previous generations? There's a lot more space on a 3DS cart than a DS cart. There's any number of potential improvements to the franchise that could get added which would have the potential to dramatically increase development time if they went for it.

BW2 came out with a shorter gap though.
Despite being sold as a pair, Black 2/White 2 is more compatible to Emerald or Platinum. They may have had significantly more additional content compared to their progenitors than any of the past "3rd games" managed, but we can't really use their development, marketing and release schedules as indicative of what we might see for a new main series game.

Wasn't BW also short in gap (six months iirc)? :p
Black & White came out in Japan a year and 6 days after HGSS came out. That's actually a bigger gap than what we saw between FRLG and Emerald (7 1/2 months), and between Platinum and HGSS (364 days).

Boss Doggie

Black & White came out in Japan a year and 6 days after HGSS came out. That's actually a bigger gap than what we saw between FRLG and Emerald (7 1/2 months), and between Platinum and HGSS (364 days).

Ahh my bad, I was looking at localization times lol

And I wouldn't compare HGSS -> BW to those. Those are between games within a single gen. I'd compare it more to E/FRLG -> DP or C -> RS. Wouldn't it be shorter?

And I wouldn't compare HGSS -> BW to those. Those are between games within a single gen. I'd compare it more to E/FRLG -> DP or C -> RS. Wouldn't it be shorter?
Crystal => Ruby/Sapphire = 1 year 11 months-ish
Emerald => Diamond/Platinum = 2 years 2 weeks-ish

There is a short gap between the first game of Gen V and the last game of Gen IV compared to these previous generations, however there's also an important difference with this particular generation leap. It's the first generation leap to have NO change in hardware. Even Gen I to Gen II (the next shortest gap, at only 1 year, 2 months, 9 days), was still a leap between Gameboy and Gameboy Color. We can probably safely assume that this lack of hardware change assisted in the relatively short gap, simply due to them having significantly greater familiarity with the hardware.

A main series game release in Japan by the end of this year isn't too far outside the realms of possibility, but....yeah, it's pretty unlikely that we'll see Gen VI in English until around March/April 2014 at the absolute earliest.

Some things to consider...
Ruby & Sapphire came out in Japan in late November 2002, 20 months to the day after the GBA was released.
Diamond & Pearl came out in Japan in late September 2006, around 22 months after the original DS was released there.
So if we assume a similar lead time for the next gen....the 3DS was released in late February 2011 in Japan. So that's somewhere between October and December of 2013 that we'd expect the next main series game to come out in Japan.
Your maths is a little off here. 22 months after February 2011 would, in fact, be December 2012. We're already into the longest gap between console release and new Gen.

And all the indications are that Harmoknight was a very small team within Game Freak; not something that'd have a chronic effect on the Pokemon games themselves.

But then they did get 3DS kits earlier than usual,
And used them to make Harmoknight, a game with a very different structure to a Pokémon title. It's worth remembering what I mentioned earlier about Drill Dozer as well. The last time they released a game between generations, we saw a 2 year gap between the final game of 3rd gen and the first of 4th gen.

Your maths is a little off here. 22 months after February 2011 would, in fact, be December 2012. We're already into the longest gap between console release and new Gen.
*facepalm* That's what I get for making forum posts late at night. Indeed, you're right. Though that just brings us back to looking at the previous gaps between generations, in which case it'd still be a surprisingly quick turn-around for them to bring a game out next year, particularly with the company needing to learn new hardware.

And all the indications are that Harmokjight was a very small team within Game Freak; not something that'd have a chronic effect on the Pokemon games themselves.
I'm not up to speed there, but that would change things a bit.

And used them to make Harmoknight, a game with a very different structure to a Pokémon title. It's worth remembering what I mentioned earlier about Drill Dozer as well. The last time they released a game between generations, we saw a 2 year gap between the final game of 3rd gen and the first of 4th gen.
Drill Dozer was a bigger project than Harmoknight, though.

And, really, you can't point to a single data point and call it a pattern.

I think the relevance of patterns is severely limited due to the fact that nothing about Gen V makes any sense when compared to previous patterns.
A new gen on outgoing hardware? A single platform hacing two generations on it? Sequels? Rushing all of the Pokemon reveals for a single year? Nothing about this franchise over the past year or two matches any patterns from the past, so it's kinda useless trying to use them to predict what's happening next.

Kokonoe

Banned
But that's because BW is pretty much hard to outdo. At least BW2 has the best Pokemon spread in all gens. With that said BW2's problems isn't similar to GSC's sparse TWO regions.

Also a friend showed this to me.

This subject actually has been beaten to death many times, hence the reason I'm not going in-depth, but you could search for the discussion if you are curious. As a tidbit, I personally don't agree with you or Wiseblade that Johto was gimped, it's just as full as any other Pokemon game. It's smaller than Kanto, but not by much. And Kanto being in the game at all was one of my highlights for me in gaming.

My opinions on Black and White can be searched as well, and let's just say I also do not agree with your opinions on that either. Of course, these are all opinions in the end.

I did wonder if this January 8th announcement might be a last hoorah Gen V companion game for Wii U, to bolster the Q1 lineup a bit.

I would love, love, love a new Stadium or Battle Revolution game compatible with all of the DS games (Gen IV and V). It's so sad that the only game we got was locked solely to Diamond and Pearl. :(

Do you have a Wii U yet? You mentioned you were going to get one a while back when I said we should all be friends. Don't forget to add me when you get one! :3

injurai

Banned
It proves that you can't fit two regions on a Game Boy cartridge and that having one felly featured region is better than having two half-regions.

GSC are a mess and anyone saying otherwise is blinded by nostalgia.

HGSS where much better about the second region, and even though it wasn't incredible I think its time they include 2 in a game.

Especially If they do another sequel, because GSC where originally be numbered sequels but later changed. Next time they have a sequel they need to add in a new region and revamp that previously added region.

Would it ever be possible for the new games to feature only new Pokemon, and then could import old Pokemon based off Virtual Console game saves or would that be too much development work for Game Freak.

Boss Doggie

Would it ever be possible for the new games to feature only new Pokemon, and then could import of Pokemon based off Virtual Console game saves or would that be too much development work for Game Freak.

...and actually too much work for players. Mind you that you also have newcomers in new generations so adding that will really be painful for them.

This subject actually has been beaten to death many times, hence the reason I'm not going in-depth, but you could search for the discussion if you are curious. As a tidbit, I personally don't agree with you or Wiseblade that Johto was gimped, it's just as full as any other Pokemon game. It's smaller than Kanto, but not by much. And Kanto being in the game at all was one of my highlights for me in gaming.

My opinions on Black and White can be searched as well, and let's just say I also do not agree with your opinions on that either. Of course, these are all opinions in the end.

But Johto and Kanto being gimped in GSC isn't really an "opinion" :p

injurai

Banned
Was given a booster pack in my stocking (Haven't opened a pack in years :D )

51cyMJY-lOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and got a

Reverse Holographic Crustle
crustlerev85.jpg

Black Kyurem EX
jN7m5GItA1lbQ.jpg

not sure how rare those are, but it seems pretty awesome to me :D

Kanto isn't a 1:1 replica, but there is nothing gimped about Johto. It's as big as other Pokemon games, even Gen III if you exclude the huge portion of blank open ocean.
Personally, my issue with Johto is progression, not necessarily content. When you reach Ecruteak, and the region opens up, the levelling and the progression through the gyms utterly falls apart.
Plus stuff like Johto missing cool new Pokemon buried in Kanto for some reason, and the laughable Elite 4, and it becomes my least favourite region.

Kokonoe

Banned
Personally, my issue with Johto is progression, not necessarily content. When you reach Ecruteak, and the region opens up, the levelling and the progression through the gyms utterly falls apart.
Plus stuff like Johto missing cool new Pokemon buried in Kanto for some reason, and the laughable Elite 4, and it becomes my least favourite region.
You have to do the "Koko Method". You know, I still haven't done that type of leveling that everyone else does, the one where you level every Pokemon up equally. I need to try that sometime.

I miss those genIII oceans. I want them to go full on tropical for their next game.

Need them Poke Lasses in some Pokekinis.

They can save that for the remake, but I do enjoy almost every aspect of Gen III as well.
except luvdisc

Top Bottom