• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think you're right.

I'm recalling the head of PM was a mod of Bulbagarden at the time and there was a PM-dedicated section where I complained. That's probably why I recall it being Bulbagarden's fault. You're responding to the situation far better than that dude.

I think you're right.

I'm recalling the head of PM was a mod of Bulbagarden at the time and there was a PM-dedicated section where I complained. That's probably why I recall it being Bulbagarden's fault. You're responding to the situation far better than that dude.
Yes, we hosted their "official forum" for a time as a sub-forum on BMGf, back before they got a website of their own. My memory is unreliable at the best of times (I'd actually forgotten all about that old sub-forum until you brought up them having a dedicated section), but I think the only staff of theirs who might have been modded there were Sunain and *maybe* TSS Killer. I'm guessing it would probably have been Sunain who you dealt with.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yes, we hosted their "official forum" for a time as a sub-forum on BMGf, back before they got a website of their own. My memory is unreliable at the best of times (I'd actually forgotten all about that old sub-forum until you brought up them having a dedicated section), but I think the only staff of theirs who might have been modded there were Sunain and *maybe* TSS Killer. I'm guessing it would probably have been Sunain who you dealt with.

Yeah, it was Sunain.

Firestorm

Haven't been around as much lately but something cool I think people might like:
http://nuggetbridge.com/news/vgc-2010-challenge-usa-vs-japan-vs-europe-complete/

Some of the top players in Japan have been organizing little country vs country battles. Just before last weekend, some of the top players in the US, Japan, and Europe (well I wouldn't call what Europe had their best) faced off with the VGC '10 ruleset. All the battle videos from it are above. Would really recommend the US vs Japan videos.

Team USA is going to play South Korea using this year's ruleset on Saturday. Should be livestreamed again as well.

Madao

i don't know where else to vent but i just found out the fuckers in charge of the last wifi torunament disqualified my Black 2 cart which would have had a rank of 235.
i didn't do anything wrong and took my losses like a man (record was 24 wins and 11 losses) and yet these assholes decided to disqualify me form the rankings for no reason.
my White 2 cart fared worse but that one wasn't disqualified despite meeting more disconnectors. my record was 27 wins and 23 losses there.
i'm so pissed off that i'm going to quit these stupid competitions.

Firestorm

i don't know where else to vent but i just found out the fuckers in charge of the last wifi torunament disqualified my Black 2 cart which would have had a rank of 235.
i didn't do anything wrong and took my losses like a man (record was 24 wins and 11 losses) and yet these assholes decided to disqualify me form the rankings for no reason.
my White 2 cart fared worse but that one wasn't disqualified despite meeting more disconnectors. my record was 27 wins and 23 losses there.
i'm so pissed off that i'm going to quit these stupid competitions.
You never had any connection issues at all? Anyway, shit happens. Tons more people who invested even more time into the tournament who were disqualified. They took a real hard stance on it this time around and I prefer it to before where douchebags who were disconnecting on pretty much all their losses ended up finishing in first.

Madao

You never had any connection issues at all? Anyway, shit happens. Tons more people who invested even more time into the tournament who were disqualified. They took a real hard stance on it this time around and I prefer it to before where douchebags who were disconnecting on pretty much all their losses ended up finishing in first.

i had few issues but the part that gets me mad is that my White 2 cart was the one where most of them happened and that one was fine.

well, as you say, shit happens. the system itself is pretty crummy due to the randomness in who gets disconnected and who doesn't. i just needed to vent somewhere since the customer service over there is such a waste and putting time into this to end up with this result sucks.

IzRON.gif

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Macka

So what do people want to see in Gen VI?
I'd love a complete overhaul of the HM system. Get rid of them and make the way the player interacts with the environment context sensitive. Water Pokemon should always be able to ferry you across water. Don't want us to surf places we shouldn't have access to yet? Fine, block it off with a shipwreck or something until later in the game.

Apart from that:
- New Pokemon
- Toggle Run
- Vs. Seeker
- Return of the Poketch

More to come...probably :p

Kokonoe

Banned
Poketch itemfinder was so good cause it told you exactly where it was instead of using clues. Also, because you didn't have to do anything since the bottom screen was always on the Poketch, but the Dowsing Machine in HeartGold was pretty good too.

Macka

I really loved the Poketch and had no issue with the dousing machine...it was actually way more accurate :/

I got into competitive battling when Diamond came out which meant I did a LOT of breeding, so things like the step counter and breeding checker were a godsend. I also used the counter whenever I was EV training, to keep track of how many EV's I'd given a certain stat.

How awesome was the berry checker too? One look and you know every location on the map that has ripe berries. Roaming Pokemon would also show up on this too (or maybe that was a separate map app), which eliminated the hassle of constantly opening up the Pokedex to check where it was.

The memo pad and happiness checker were pretty handy as well.

I want it back even more now :( Add in a local trade/battle app and it would be fucking perfect.

Kokonoe

Banned
What was also great about the Poketch was that you didn't have to toggle the map to see roaming legendaries.

Also, may not seem like much, but I use to use the coin flip app while playing Pokemon cards. Much easier to get out then turning on my ereader for GBA and swiping the coin flip card to.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just realized that gen v made rare candies useful.

You and your hatred for Gen II. What did the games do to you.

I was just being objective!

Poketch itemfinder was so good cause it told you exactly where it was instead of using clues. Also, because you didn't have to do anything since the bottom screen was always on the Poketch, but the Dowsing Machine in HeartGold was pretty good too.

Problem with Poketch itemfinder is that you have to tap it to ping. At least the dowsing machines are pretty much always active.

Wiseblade

So I just saw the Essential RPGs 2013 thread. It's a very respectable list, although there is one entry that is clearly out of place...

Do you think I'd get banned if I made a thread hating on GSC?

No, but some of the responses you'd get would be hilarious.

I strongly disagree that Gen II is how Pokémon should be represented on a top 50 RPGs list. And this is coming from someone who loves those games.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Then BW2 obsoleted them again with the Join Avenue. By far the best method of leveling Pokémon - the first game I've gotten a level 100 in since Emerald.

Although I heard you won't learn moves if you level up via JA.

So I just saw the Essential RPGs 2013 thread. It's a very respectable list, although there is one entry that is clearly out of place...

I already posted my thoughts on Gen II there. :p

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
To celebrate the New Year I've been picking at a Nuzlocke run in Black. So far I've buried my tepig, Tizzank and Gregor my simisage. (RIP)

Just beat the 2nd gym and currently my team consists of my level 25 herdier, Willy, and my scrub team which consists of another crappy lillipup with pickup, a woobat and a crappy purloin all leveled 10-12. They've all got TERRIBLE natures too. I'm so boned!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Oh I forgot my simisage totally had pokerus when I got him! First time I've ever encountered that aside from trading for it!

Is Ponymon part of the thread cycle now? I mean, I love you guys, but there's only so much insanity a man can take.

At any rate, at least we're starting the new year with a bang...

Top Bottom