• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Andrefpvs

Has everyone got their Winter Battle Challenge ranking?

This is what shows on my page:

BD3lF.png

Does this mean I was excluded from the rankings? If so, that's rubbish! I want my Custap Berry ;_;

I don't think I broke any of these rules too...:
• The conditions for entering the ranking of the 2012 VGCS Winter Battle are listed below:
1) Players must complete a minimum of 10 matches that end in a win or a loss.
Players who do not complete a minimum of 10 matches will not be included in the Rankings.
2) Players who consistently play in matches that are interrupted or disconnected may be restricted from future GBU events.

*Please check the "Once you have an opponent, fi nish the match!" part of the Wi-Fi Competition Etiquette section for more information
about disconnections.
*Outside of the criteria listed above, if a player is found, by The Pokémon Company International, to be behaving in an inappropriate way
that harms the environment, he or she may be excluded from the Rankings.
http://en.pokemon-gl.com/swf/regulation/en/90/r50ad4a16.pdf

Kokonoe

Banned
Old school art reigns supreme.

I really like it a lot too, it's so amazingly done, really made a lot of my childhood seeing Ken's art on cards, game magazines, and elsewhere.
I always like the Gen 1/2 art style most, there's just something cool about them. I always like the coloring style too. I don't mind the new art though, they're great too (but I'm not a fan of Gold/Ethan's redesign, so lame!).

Yeah, me too! I like how it's a lot more detailed, less cartoony than the current style, and has a more broader range of colors. And yeah, Gold's new design is a sin and one of the most horrible Japanese designs I've ever seen in my life.

that shiny Nidoking!!! Hnnngggg!!!

that nostalgia.

I think those were before RB cause look at these. Also, that is the art tiggerkiddo was talking about.

The way that the line of Mewtwo's nose lines up directly with the line of its shoulder has always bugged me. You don't do that. It makes its head and shoulder look like they're on the same plane. The Gyarados art suffers from that too, with its whisker butting up to it's tail like that. His art in Gen 2 is leagues above the art he did for Red and Green.

Kokonoe

Banned
The way that the line of Mewtwo's nose lines up directly with the line of its shoulder has always bugged me. You don't do that. It makes its head and shoulder look like they're on the same plane. The Gyarados art suffers from that too, with its whisker butting up to it's tail like that. His art in Gen 2 is leagues above the art he did for Red and Green.

Well, his Gen II art is still his classic art so there is a misunderstanding here. Gen III was where it started to change a bit, but Gen IV was where it finally went into the 'mainstream' look. I still think they're great, though.

Well, his Gen II art is still his classic art so there is a misunderstanding here. Gen III was where it started to change a bit, but Gen IV was where it finally went into the 'mainstream' look. I still think they're great, though.

Sure, the style is mostly the same in gen 2, but his craftsmanship got a lot better. He got a lot more consistent with his art for gen 2. It's right before gen 3 where he changes his coloring from traditional medium to digital. And his style starts to change through the 3rd gen with his characters going from stocky to more lean. The eyes widen out too. His style hasn't really changed much from gen 4 to 5, so he's probably settled into the style now.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Like I said, Gen 3 is the best compromise in the art dept. None of that weird sharp faces or the NOSE

Don't make that joke here, it starts things...down that terrible road. To a road straight to weirdsville.

And old school Pokemon art without the digital coloring is totally awesome. Gives it more of a down to earth feel.

I want to post Chet's wonderful Torkoal and Flannery artwork, but it seems the moment has already passed. :<

Chet, did you ever start working on the last of the gym leaders? You could always do some more Pokémon related stuff if your K-On phase ever passes!

Not that there's anything wrong with your lovely Mio artwork. <3

PK Gaming

You guys misspell Cynthia.

Cynthia's definitely up there, but none can compare to Claire. Seriously, she's got pretty big boobs for a Pokemon character and a killer ass.

Dahlia's not bad though.

i'm pretty sure she has a nice ass.

anime lolerei prima doesn't count

I want to post Chet's wonderful Torkoal and Flannery artwork, but it seems the moment has already passed. :<

Chet, did you ever start working on the last of the gym leaders? You could always do some more Pokémon related stuff if your K-On phase ever passes!

Not that there's anything wrong with your lovely Mio artwork. <3

The whole announcement and release of Black 2 White 2 really took the wind out of my sails there. I want to do it, but I already know it's out of date. I'm also not really happy with the ones I've done now. I'll probably finish it, but who knows when...

gosox333

Anybody wanna help me by trading this Feebas so it'll evolve, and then trading it back to me? I just got done breeding for a good one and realized I can't evolve it on my own...

Anybody wanna help me by trading this Feebas so it'll evolve, and then trading it back to me? I just got done breeding for a good one and realized I can't evolve it on my own...

If nobody has already PM'd you about iy, I'm free. Just PM me first.

If it happened, have fun with your beautiful thing!

Stage On

The whole announcement and release of Black 2 White 2 really took the wind out of my sails there. I want to do it, but I already know it's out of date. I'm also not really happy with the ones I've done now. I'll probably finish it, but who knows when...

Aw :(

You're Pokemon art is the best Chet! I can't get enough of it!

Here's a question for you all: what direction do you want the franchise to go in next?

I personally want them to improve the relationship between the player and their Pokémon. Too many people look at their team nowadays and see a bunch of numbers and values, which is a shame considering how much personality they all have. I think that the mainline games should go the path of Ranger or Mystery Dungeon and have one Pokémon "soulbound" to you from the start of your journey (i.e. no depositing on trading them), and make it so that you white out if it faints. It doesn't necessarily have to be one of three starters; give people a lot of choice. This would give a lot more opportunity for trainer-partner relationship story events and would force one to nuture and care for their partner less they risk failure. Make every potential partner's final evolved form much stronger than the average Pokémon to give people incentive to keep using them to the end, and offer some meaningful ways to interact with them such as minigames or a Persona-style friendship system that both improves your relationship and your partner's strength in battle.

A lot of you will probably disagree with this, but that's my two cents. Anyone else have ideas?

PK Gaming

Me?

I want to there to be a way to artificially raise IVs (but the process should be difficult). My issue with ingame Pokemon is that they are generally useless in any competitive scene. Even the PWT will kick your ass and back if your IVs are imperfect.

Now of course, I don't want to devalue breeding, so this method of raising IVs should be incredibly difficult; what i'm proposing is just a way for the Pokemon you like to be useful. In other words, its a way make the Pokemon in your journey useful. For instance, in DPPt I had a Naive Infernape; it was basically my frontman, and I used it in like 65% of my battles, and I would have loved to use him (Mr. Chimps) in the competitive scene, but its IVs were too low. I know IVs are supposed to encourage diversity, but EVERYONE uses max IVs since there's no reason not to.

Kyzer

Banned
They need to open up the competitive side without losing any of the depth. Make the knowledge and means of breeding and EV training a perfect competitive pokemon a little more transparent, so someone could pick it up without reading a FAQ online.

Also, let Ken Sugimori handle the art direction, and invest heavily in an amazing definitive cel shaded engine.

Too many people look at their team nowadays and see a bunch of numbers and values, which is a shame considering how much personality they all have.

Not me! My team is pretty much nothing but my favorites. It kind of sucks competitively.

If it meant I could have a unique, super-powered Growlithe companion using your "soulbound" idea, I wouldn't object. Your Scraggy could be his friendly rival! I would expect him to follow me on-screen at all times (like in HG/SS), and I would want to be able to have special interactions with him throughout the game (including stuff like riding him when he evolves instead of using the bike). I'd want him to be involved in the story too, and I'd want other trainers to make special mention of him.

But if I had to have some other Pokémon stuck in my party as you described, I would end up resenting the focus on them. I don't think Game Freak would ever be willing to implement an idea like yours in a way so everyone could choose from their favorites.

Not me! My team is pretty much nothing but my favorites. It kind of sucks competitively.

If it meant I could have a unique, super-powered Growlithe companion using your "soulbound" idea, I wouldn't object. Your Scraggy could be his friendly rival! I would expect him to follow me on-screen at all times (like in HG/SS), and I would want to be able to have special interactions with him throughout the game (including stuff like riding him when he evolves instead of using the bike). I'd want him to be involved in the story too, and I'd want other trainers to make special mention of him.

tumblr_lm0t2a8lJC1qzt0a8o1_250.gif

But if I had to have some other Pokémon stuck in my party as you described, I would end up resenting the focus on them. I don't think Game Freak would ever be willing to implement an idea like yours in a way so everyone could choose from their favorites.

That would be the challenge; getting the player to buy into all three stages of a brand-new Pokémon before the game has even begun. Still, I trust in GameFreak! I'm sure they could pull it off if they wanted to.

That would be the challenge; getting the player to buy into all three stages of a brand-new Pokémon before the game has even begun. Still, I trust in GameFreak! I'm sure they could pull it off if they wanted to.

If they aren't keen on that kind of idea for the mainline handheld games, they could always make a console game with a new catch like that. ^_^ Genius Sonority sort of tried it with the partnered Umbreon/Espeon and Eevee.

That's what we should get if Game Freak ever does a Wii U game. Forget chasing the eight badges and all that standard stuff. Give us a Pokémon RPG with a whole new focus (while still sticking to the battle mechanics from the main games).

Solid Scrafty and Arcacon.

If they aren't keen on that kind of idea for the mainline handheld games, they could always make a console game with a new catch like that. ^_^ Genius Sonority sort of tried it with the partnered Umbreon/Espeon and Eevee.

That's what we should get if Game Freak ever does a Wii U game. Forget chasing the eight badges and all that standard stuff. Give us a Pokémon RPG with a whole new focus (while still sticking to the battle mechanics from the main games).

I like this idea. We should trademark it and sell it to GameFreak for top dollar.

Solid Scrafty and Arcacon.

I need fan art of this, stat.

Aren't poor IVs easily countered with good nature and EVs?

Considering a single IV point can mean the difference between victory and defeat; no, they aren't.

PK Gaming

Aren't poor IVs easily countered with good nature and EVs?

ingame? sure

in a competitive environment? hell no. you see this come into play in BW2 even with the PWT. They use Pokemon with perfect IVs, so even if you had the foresight to Ev train your Pokemon you'd still get screwed. Speed is by far the most important stat to have maxed out, IV-wise. Otherwise you're liable to screwed (like my Starmie getting outsped by an Arcanine for example)

Stage On

ingame? sure

in a competitive environment? hell no. you see this come into play in BW2 even with the PWT. They use Pokemon with perfect IVs, so even if you had the foresight to Ev train your Pokemon you'd still get screwed. Speed is by far the most important stat to have maxed out, IV-wise. Otherwise you're liable to screwed (like my Starmie getting outsped by an Arcanine for example)

Man it's such bs that the computer gets away with having Perfect Iv's all the time, that's completely unfair

Firestorm

Pretty much. At lvl50 so long as you are above 20 or so you'll be fine.
Huh? Level doesn't affect how important IVs are. You want them at specific values regardless (normally maxed but not always). The difference between a 31 and 30 is incredibly important at level 50 as it does determine at which point you require 8 EVs for 1 stat. It's also important as people's EV spreads are very carefully calculated to maximize survivability a lot of the time so any IVs missed will mess that up and you won't have the EVs to cover the holes.

If you just want to be "competitive" then sure, IVs aren't a dealbreaker. But if you want to actually try and aim for the top, then you don't want to hurt your chances before you even turn on your game.

Firestorm

Has everyone got their Winter Battle Challenge ranking?

This is what shows on my page:

http://i.imgur.com/BD3lF.png

Does this mean I was excluded from the rankings? If so, that's rubbish! I want my Custap Berry ;_;

I don't think I broke any of these rules too...:

Yes. Unfortunately that does mean you were disqualified. How was your (and your opponent's) connection during the competition? This means too many DCs happened and it sucks :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
ingame? sure

Well PWT is shit like that. Same with Subway. Regardless on whether you perfectly train or not you'll be wrecked because CPU.

Top Bottom