• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

For Exterminieren:

Cilan and Dwebble!

PEREM.png
This is amazing on many different levels.

Thanks very much! :D

Santiako

Sure, I'll pm you next week to trade when I beat the E4.

I skipped Gens 3 and 4, and played a bit of Black 1 (like ten hours or so of a borrowed copy, so I couldn't even save). A lot of shit will be new for me.

backlot

Oh my god I just had the most brilliant flash ever in my entire life for my entire life

COTTON EAR THINGS

White_menbo.jpg

FOR DS STYLUS

Finally I can move around all my pokemen without scratching the god dang screen oh god hold me

The stylus that comes with the DS shouldn't scratch the screen. If it does it's probably because there was dust on the screen under the stylus. A cotton swab would probably move dust around just as much. Not to mention how much more pressure you'd probably have to apply on a cotton swab to get it to register on the screen. I think you're just being a bit paranoid.

Does everybody use the stylus for the DS Pokemon entries? I feel like I'm maybe 50/50. It really depends on how I'm sitting, I do use the buttons a lot.

So I'm really getting into handhelds this year...Bought a vita during Black Friday and have my 3DS Xl in my cart for Amazon with Kid Icarus/Zelda OOT. Really trying to get into Pokemon with the annoucement of the new X/Y but I wanted to start a bit before that. I'm picking up my 3DS in march/April during tax return, anyone have a recommendation on where to start with the pokemon series?

Mind you, I know there's tons of gameplay and fun to be had but was really put off by the visuals during the gameboy/advance era...

Does everybody use the stylus for the DS Pokemon entries? I feel like I'm maybe 50/50. It really depends on how I'm sitting, I do use the buttons a lot.

I use the buttons 90% of the time, except for the PC. That's 100% stylus.

So I'm really getting into handhelds this year...Bought a vita during Black Friday and have my 3DS Xl in my cart for Amazon with Kid Icarus/Zelda OOT. Really trying to get into Pokemon with the annoucement of the new X/Y but I wanted to start a bit before that. I'm picking up my 3DS in march/April during tax return, anyone have a recommendation on where to start with the pokemon series?

Mind you, I know there's tons of gameplay and fun to be had but was really put off by the visuals during the gameboy/advance era...

The Black and White games are the best place for new players to start. The gameplay there is at its most refined, and it's the best way for you to play online with us!

Ainaurdur

Since my post seemed to have been overlooked in the other thread.
I just started a new game in Soul Silver. Really enjoying getting back into it and so I started thinking about possibilities.

How many of you own more than one system to play and transfer Pokemon between your own copies of the games? I have only ever owned one system and one game version of any given Generation.

But this is beginning to make me consider picking up a second 3DS and possibly getting both X and Y. Of course I realize we don't know yet which previous games might be able to trade with X/Y, so it might not matter. Which is why I would probably restrain myself from getting a second system until October.
Also to clarify, I was wondering if you guys think it is worth owning two systems?

And I must admit I do not have B/W or B2/W2 yet. Thinking I might grab W soon in addition to playing SS right now.

backlot

Also to clarify, I was wondering if you guys think it is worth owning two systems?

And I must admit I do not have B/W or B2/W2 yet. Thinking I might grab W soon in addition to playing SS right now.

I do own more than one 3DS but it wasn't because of Pokemon. If you really need to transfer a few Pokemon to a different cartridge you could probably find someone online who would be willing to help you out.

I've never -technically- had two systems. I used to borrow my brother's Game Boy or DS to trade Pokémon with myself when a new game came out, and now I have my old DS and my 3DS to trade with.

The only time I had both versions of the same game was when I bought a used copy of White version a few months ago to unlock some trainer card stuff on my Black version.
(I then proceeded to give the copy of White to a friend as a gift.)

I think it is worth having access to two systems to trade with yourself (specifically just borrowing the extra one), but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a second 3DS just to trade Pokémon. I also don't think it has ever been worth owning both versions of the same game other than to complete the small completely nonessential extras. You can always trade online nowadays for the Pokémon you can't catch in the version you bought.

I own more than one DS mostly because I didn't sell my prior DSs before buying new ones. This may prove to be a problem if I need to do some trading, since I couldn't get an XL... but eh.

It's worth it if you need to do something like getting all the starters by yourself, or doing completionist activities like trading up your dex from the prior gen. It isn't necessary though - it just happened that me owning more than one system benefited me with these games in particular.

Ainaurdur

Thanks for the answers so far.

It's worth it if you need to do something like getting all the starters by yourself, or doing completionist activities like trading up your dex from the prior gen. It isn't necessary though - it just happened that me owning more than one system benefited me with these games in particular.

One thing I was considering was giving myself all of the starters up into whichever was the latest game I was playing at the time. But I suppose there should be people offering them to trade online through breeding etc anyway, as UltimateIke said.
And then moving ones I may have trained over as well.

My desire to own both X and Y is very weak, I doubt I will get both. I am still leaning toward only needing one version per gen/subgen.

I suppose I might have one option as to having access to my sister/nephew's DS Lite... heh.
But I just saw that FE 3DS Bundle announcement for NA. That might break me sooner than I had even dreamed of as far as getting an extra system.

backlot

If you do decide to buy another system you might want to at least wait until details come out about what you can actually transfer to X/Y and how it's done.

Stage On

I more or less got my 3ds xl for free and of course I still have my launch 3ds, so I'm set for trading between my own games for Gen 6 :)

Darryl

Banned
A year ago I went to that Zoroark event they had at malls and had gotten a free Celebi to put on my copy of HeartGold. I wasn't really that much into Pokemon at the time so I didn't really care nor was I even really playing HeartGold, but I still kept the Celebi when I bought a copy of Black. Anyways, later on in Black I ended up stumbling upon a sort of movie event tie-in where I got a Zorua. How fucking cool. Was not expecting that. Nothing to discuss really, just wanted to tell someone. I didn't realize these Pokemon movie giveaways were tied into the actual game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Mmmm pancakes.

Also I bet Arceus smells like burning gas

I'm surprised there are no food-themed pokemon (ice cream doesn't count - they're snow/slush just happened to look like soft serve)

All you's sunnavas don't seem to get the picture: Godmon's burning up and what's good for ya ain't good to ya! That shit's like airy gamma rays, man! Give me a haz-mat suit!

Mint Cream could work. I could always sacrifice some Roselias until the fumes die down and I'm ready to have Legendary Casserole.

All you's sunnavas don't seem to get the picture: Godmon's burning up and what's good for ya ain't good to ya! That shit's like airy gamma rays, man! Give me a haz-mat suit!

Mint Cream could work. I could always sacrifice some Roselias until the fumes die down and I'm ready to have Legendary Casserole.

I think I'll just dump a whole lot of Berries here and figure out a way to turn them into ice cream. Hmm

I'm eating the Legendary Casserole right now, guys. It's got an aroma worth wafting: seasonal Limburger lines traveling up into my cavities like UV rainbows. But it tastes great. I never thought God could taste so wonderful.

Weren't we talking about how Pokémon smell? I'm not actually eating Pokémon right now, am I? Maybe I'll just Brendan's hat instead. Of all the weird things in the Pokémon world, this object's got to count for something.

I'm eating the Legendary Casserole right now, guys. It's got an aroma worth wafting: seasonal Limburger lines traveling up into my cavities like UV rainbows. But it tastes great. I never thought God could taste so wonderful.

Weren't we talking about how Pokémon smell? I'm not actually eating Pokémon right now, am I? Maybe I'll just Brendan's hat instead.

I'm just past Lt. Surge after several hours:

Charmeleon (Char), lvl 30, Serious;
Mankey (George), lvl 25, Quirky;
Fearow (Keira), lvl 25, Quriky;
Gloom (Joss), lvl 24, Calm;
Clefable (Albin), lvl 24, Mild.

Right now, I'm thinking of keeping just the Fire starter, Clefable, and Gloom. Mankey's got to leave so I can get a Machamp in the future, Fearow's gonna make room for Dragonite some day, and I'll probably get a Kabutops by the end of things. Feel free to recommend me anything better for an SP run.

backlot

I'm just past Lt. Surge after several hours:

Charmeleon (Char), lvl 30, Serious;
Mankey (George), lvl 25, Quirky;
Fearow (Keira), lvl 25, Quriky;
Gloom (Joss), lvl 24, Calm;
Clefable (Albin), lvl 24, Mild.

Right now, I'm thinking of keeping just the Fire starter, Clefable, and Gloom. Mankey's got to leave so I can get a Machamp in the future, Fearow's gonna make room for Dragonite some day, and I'll probably get a Kabutops by the end of things. Feel free to recommend me anything better for an SP run.

Just so you know Machoke only evolves into Machamp through trading. I don't know if that'll be an issue for you.

MikeMyers

To be honest Fighting isn't that great in Kanto, seeing as you already beat Surge:

Erika: Two out of three of her Pokemon resist Fighting
Koga: Resists Fighting
Sabrina: Resists Fighting, and has Super Effective Psychic
Blaine: Neither one has an advantage here
Giovanni: SE on Rhyhorn but resisted by the Nidos.
Lorelei: Super Effective here but her Pokemon have good physical bulk
Bruno: mirror match lol
Agatha: Either resist or are immune to fighting
Lance: Not too great here

upandaway

The stylus that comes with the DS shouldn't scratch the screen. If it does it's probably because there was dust on the screen under the stylus. A cotton swab would probably move dust around just as much. Not to mention how much more pressure you'd probably have to apply on a cotton swab to get it to register on the screen. I think you're just being a bit paranoid.
It's because of the dust? Then wouldn't the cotton pick that up? Plus I don't really use any more pressure than before..

Dust or not, my Lite has way too many scratches (dots more than lines) from just poking at the screen for menus and stuff. If a cotton thing won't help then I'm finished :(

Top Bottom