• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Berordn

I really don't understand this line of logic.

why can't his evolve form just be another joke, if that's the case? Him having an evolution does nothing to affect the purpose of the base form. People just want him to be viable, and he would make a great candidate for flying/fighting. I don't understand why some people seem so adamant against the idea of having his base form being a referential joke and his evolved form having some competitive viability.

There's lots of other stuff that'll never be competitively viable either, though. Delibird, Castform, Unown... Farfetch'd has some flavor as a lame duck, since you had to trade the relatively awesome (for the time) Spearow/Potential Fearow. Him having any use at all really does ruin that.

I really don't see how you can extrapolate a fighting type out of him, though.

Yea I didn't realize that until later on. lol
It's been forever since I encountered one. Thanks for checking it out.

Any criticism/tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

I'm enjoying it as is! I've never played or watched a Nuzlocke run before, so I'm happy just being along for the ride.

Unicorn

Yeah, there are a lot of pokemon that aren't viable, but that doesn't mean they should just be left in the shadows
KuGsj.gif
Electivire brought Electabuzz back to competitiveness, as did tangrowth for tangela.

The past method of obtaining him in R/B seems to be an arbitrary argument. Just like the magikarp you can buy and think is awful and perhaps box or release upon realization, but by putting in dedication to get him to such a high level that he then becomes a badass viable gyrados is enough to prove that argument doesn't hold much water. Let him have some convoluted way of evolving lol.

I'm not the only one or the first one to think of a farfetch'd evo as fighting flying, given the fact that he carries a stick, or often portrayed as a weapon. Having that change into a bigger stick, perhaps one resembling a sword should be enough logical progression design-wise to warrant the thought of fighting type, plus it is a unique type, much like flying/water was for gyrados at the time.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really don't understand this line of logic.

why can't his evolve form just be another joke, if that's the case? Him having an evolution does nothing to affect the purpose of the base form. People just want him to be viable, and he would make a great candidate for flying/fighting. I don't understand why some people seem so adamant against the idea of having his base form being a referential joke and his evolved form having some competitive viability.
Then you'll have the problem of a "joke" occupying a space, much like how pre-evos in Gen 2 were kinda pointless. :p

Still, I don't get how people saw "samurai" in him.

He also likes Digimon Xros Wars more than Tamers, so all of his opinions are invalid :p
Mother of god

Tamers is overrated though. If there's a try-hard anime, that's that. :p

At least Xros Wars knows it's not taking itself seriously and knows its a mecha anime!

Unicorn

Then you'll have the problem of a "joke" occupying a space, much like how pre-evos in Gen 2 were kinda pointless. :p

Still, I don't get how people saw "samurai" in him.

That's quite the assumption that I have a problem with "joke" pokemon. Especially because I don't. I love Cleffa, Mime Jr. and even Pichu. But they aren't jokes.

Also, imagination, just like any pokemon design. There's been official evolutions that follow less logical progressions, like eggs into a palm tree.

Boss Doggie

Wow, between this and hating on Akibaranger and TTGL, you're on s bad taste streak.

I'm not hating on Tamers, I just think people give it too much credit because "it's their first dark show!" Same with Akiba and TTGL.

That's quite the assumption that I have a problem with "joke" pokemon. Especially because I don't. I love Cleffa, Mime Jr. and even Pichu. But they aren't jokes.

Also, imagination, just like any pokemon design. There's been official evolutions that follow less logical progressions, like eggs into a palm tree.

The only use of babies really is to learn new moves, but at the same they should add more stuff to their moveset. With that said post-evo is much preferred over pre-evo.

If anything I thought the samurai feels less imaginative because "hey he is holding a leek!" (which is a common theme with fakemon - they seem to lack an underlying theme). And a lot of the evolutions make sense if you look at their origins (i.e. Exeggute are the heads of a yokai scattered while its evolution is how they found the trees of their origin).

I still stand by with Farfetch'd though. The joke is that it's "a rare opportunity doesn't mean it's good - and you just fell for it"... unless of course the evolution follows it and gives it a hard to obtain evolution method... only to result with a much more terrible mon, so essentially it follows the proverb of being a sucker twice!

I'm not hating on Tamers, I just think people give it too much credit because "it's their first dark show!" Same with Akiba and TTGL.

I think you're missing the point of both shows, then. First of all, Tamers was great despite its dark tones, not because of them. There's plenty to like in it even ignoring all that, and as a sum of its parts it's objectively much better than any other Digimon series except maaaaaaybe Savers (depending on who you ask).

As for TTGL, the same applies. It's not really supposed to be a grand, epic space opera, but rather a parody of one. The amount of pure energy and "screw the rules" atmosphere is more than enough to make it at the very least very enjoyable, and that's not taking some of the subtle character nuances into account.

Also it's my favourite anime so screw the haters ;P

Unicorn

Well, Breeding is something that had to be added. Dragon Warrior Monsters blew pokemon away prior to G/S (at least in the US, took forever to get pkmn localized here) and by then the anime and cards had referencing to pokemon breeding.

Having baby pokemon was a means to better bridge the gap from egg to powerful monster. Though I feel some things fell through the cracks, such as kangaskhan having no baby form.

Personally, If I were to rewrite pokemon, cubone would be the baby form and males would evolve into Marowak while females evolve into Kangaskhan.

I've always wanted to try a little cup team just to spice things up, and with pokemon like mime jr. and cleffa, that meta-metagame got expanded, so that's another reason I appreciate baby pokemon.

It's obvious farfetch'd is a pretty touchy subject, but there's dozens of other pokemon that are collecting dust in the pokedex solely because they've been glossed over the years. Take a look at politoed who was pretty much useless before he gained 1 fucking ability, then became banned because of how good he became
KuGsj.gif

Just small tweaks to existing 'mons like Tauros could bring them back into the viability spotlight, which is all people want - a little variety in their metagame. All it takes is a new ability or a move or 4 to make an otherwise unremarkable pokemon something that can contend. Should EVERY pokemon be viable? Personally, I don't see why not, as long as it doesn't compromise the pokemon's "integrity." They were on the right track with Farfetch'd's Stick item which gives him random crits. Primeape has Anger Point, which I think is fucking amazing, but he's a gamble pokemon to put on your team. Things like that, whether they are a 1-trick pony or not, just something to make them have a purpose in the metagame. Of course, not every pokemon is going to become viable, but I think the community, as a whole, would love to see some of these pokemon that have been in the understairs closet for close to 2 decades deserve to be shown a little competitive love.

Boss Doggie

I think you're missing the point of both shows, then. First of all, Tamers was great despite its dark tones, not because of them. There's plenty to like in it even ignoring all that, and as a sum of its parts it's objectively much better than any other Digimon series except maaaaaaybe Savers (depending on who you ask).

As for TTGL, the same applies. It's not really supposed to be a grand, epic space opera, but rather a parody of one. The amount of pure energy and "screw the rules" atmosphere is more than enough to make it at the very least very enjoyable, and that's not taking some of the subtle character nuances into account.

Also it's my favourite anime so screw the haters ;P

Eh, for me those don't work because it just feels jarring. It felt forced and sometimes felt "unrealistic" despite attempts at making them "real" (see: Jeri, I cringe whenever I see her act - she's supposed to be how "little girl" acts but feels more like how "little girl as perceived by adults act"). I don't want my characters to act "real" but fail to do so - I want them to act like characters, with rationality, etc.

As for TTGL it's essentially too much hyperactivity and stupid senseless pandering. I've seen anime with over-the-top-ness that managed to kept themselves fine without looking stupid or pulling stuff out of their asses. Also admittedly I hate the artstyle. :p

Well, Breeding is something that had to be added. Dragon Warrior Monsters blew pokemon away prior to G/S (at least in the US, took forever to get pkmn localized here) and by then the anime and cards had referencing to pokemon breeding.

Having baby pokemon was a means to better bridge the gap from egg to powerful monster. Though I feel some things fell through the cracks, such as kangaskhan having no baby form.

Personally, If I were to rewrite pokemon, cubone would be the baby form and males would evolve into Marowak while females evolve into Kangaskhan.

I've always wanted to try a little cup team just to spice things up, and with pokemon like mime jr. and cleffa, that meta-metagame got expanded, so that's another reason I appreciate baby pokemon.

It's obvious farfetch'd is a pretty touchy subject, but there's dozens of other pokemon that are collecting dust in the pokedex solely because they've been glossed over the years. Take a look at politoed who was pretty much useless before he gained 1 fucking ability, then became banned because of how good he became
KuGsj.gif

Just small tweaks to existing 'mons like Tauros could bring them back into the viability spotlight, which is all people want - a little variety in their metagame. All it takes is a new ability or a move or 4 to make an otherwise unremarkable pokemon something that can contend. Should EVERY pokemon be viable? Personally, I don't see why not, as long as it doesn't compromise the pokemon's "integrity." They were on the right track with Farfetch'd's Stick item which gives him random crits. Primeape has Anger Point, which I think is fucking amazing, but he's a gamble pokemon to put on your team. Things like that, whether they are a 1-trick pony or not, just something to make them have a purpose in the metagame. Of course, not every pokemon is going to become viable, but I think the community, as a whole, would love to see some of these pokemon that have been in the understairs closet for close to 2 decades deserve to be shown a little competitive love.

Like I said, breeding is fine because it teaches moves, but generally it's much more preferred to give post evo than pre evos because they really don't serve much (I mean, base form should be enough to be the "baby").

And eh... not a huge Kanga <-> Cubone/Marowak fan.

And it's not like GF never updates old mons. Gengar and Staryu remain to be top threats as well as Cloyster. And yeah there's Politoed.

So it all boils down to your personal preference then? I guess I can respect that, even if your reasons for disliking both don't make much sense to me.

In my opinion, as far as anime go it's:

1. TTGL
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Soul Eater
4. Gankutsuou
5. Tamers
6. Wolf's Rain
7. Trigun
8. Hellsing Ultimate
9. Summer Wars
10. Katekyo Hitman Reborn (at least up until the end of the Vongola Tournament arc)

Boss Doggie

It makes sense if you feel more like you're tired of seeing those sorts of characters. That's why I enjoy Xros Wars a lot more - the main character isn't a dumb shit, Shoutmon is a refreshing Digimon character, hell the whole posse is refreshing because oh my god Digimon are acting like characters than just "mons". And the concept of Xrossing somehow feels more like the characters acting like pilots rather than "power up mons".

The last time I remember watching Digimon, Agumon and Gabumon had just figured out how to do their "Mega" Digivolutions for the first time.

I stopped watching once they discovered there were more bad guys or some bullcrap like that.

It makes sense if you feel more like you're tired of seeing those sorts of characters. That's why I enjoy Xros Wars a lot more - the main character isn't a dumb shit, Shoutmon is a refreshing Digimon character, hell the whole posse is refreshing because oh my god Digimon are acting like characters than just "mons". And the concept of Xrossing somehow feels more like the characters acting like pilots rather than "power up mons".

I still don't really think it's fair to praise Xros Wars without talking about its elephant in the room: Young Hunters. It's just as much a part of the Xros Wars trilogy as Xros Wars itself, and serves as the ultimate conclusion to the series. I really disliked it in that it almost retroactively dampened my enjoyment of Xros Wars, and the final fight became pretty much what you just described being tired of: a power-up battle. Plus it kind of screwed up the characterization of some of the cast, and some of the twists were just plain dumb.

Boss Doggie

I still don't really think it's fair to praise Xros Wars without talking about its elephant in the room: Young Hunters. It's just as much a part of the Xros Wars trilogy as Xros Wars itself, and serves as the ultimate conclusion to the series. I really disliked it in that it almost retroactively dampened my enjoyment of Xros Wars, and the final fight became pretty much what you just described being tired of: a power-up battle. Plus it kind of screwed up the characterization of some of the cast, and some of the twists were just plain dumb.

I think Xros Wars fans like me pretend that shit doesn't exist much like 02 doesn't. :p

I think Xros Wars fans like me pretend that shit doesn't exist much like 02 doesn't. :p

But therein lies the problem! That's like pretending the Star Wars prequels don't exist because they're terrible. No matter what the quality may be, it's still an essential part of canon and should be judged as part of the Xros Wars series instead of being brushed under the rug. Does it weaken the Xros Wars series as a whole? Yes, but that's what prevents Xros Wars from being the best Digimon series. Tamers as a whole is better than the Xros Wars trilogy as a whole, and that's why I prefer it.

He reminded me of Michael Jackson.

I remember having the movie on DVD, and found out it was 3 movies put into 1. I gotta see them in their original form.

Yes you do. And then watch Summer Wars after you're done because it's basically a better, more polished version of Our War Game.

Boss Doggie

Kurata however is the rich man's version of Oikawa.

Also, second-best? I disagree, that's DarkKnightmon... unless you mean first place is tied between Kurata and DKmon.

Aggrotek

Just finished Ep. 3. Good stuff, Aggrotek.

I'd like to request the first Dark-type you catch be named after me, if you don't mind :3
But you already named Estragon :p

Yes, if you don't mind. I'd like to have the Pokémon carrying my namesake inspire your team!
Sure thing!
Just Ike or something else?

Aggrotek, just noticed your videos now, will be sure to watch them.

I thought Tamers was medicore until they actually got into the Digiworld.

That'd be awesome!

thanks for all the support guys! It means a lot.

Kurata however is the rich man's version of Oikawa.

Also, second-best? I disagree, that's DarkKnightmon... unless you mean first place is tied between Kurata and DKmon.

Kurata was a hypocrite with a lame backstory who lost his refreshing plan and motivation once Belphemon was awakened. He did have the honor of being on the receiving end of one of the best one-liners in the franchise, though.

As for DKmon; I forgot about him. He's probably tied for my #1 spot with either Myotismon or
the D-Reaper
(spoiled so you don't have to get unnecessarily angry).

Boss Doggie

Kurata was a much better villain than Wiseaukawa though. His downfall was just the only bad thing from him.

Also this board lacks some chespin

What if Kyurem merged with Chespin?

What if Chespin was sent to the Distortion World?

What if Chespin is naked?

Kurata was a much better villain than Wiseaukawa though. His downfall was just the only bad thing from him.

Better villain? Maybe. Better character? Not a Vanillite's chance on Cinnabar. Oikawa's backstory was much, much better and his character arc seemed more natural. Plus, his motive didn't devolve into "welp, looks like it's time to take over the world!"

Plus he's voiced by Jamieson Price, which gives him instant awesome points.

PK Gaming

So it all boils down to your personal preference then? I guess I can respect that, even if your reasons for disliking both don't make much sense to me.

In my opinion, as far as anime go it's:

1. TTGL
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Soul Eater
4. Gankutsuou
5. Tamers
6. Wolf's Rain
7. Trigun
8. Hellsing Ultimate
9. Summer Wars
10. Katekyo Hitman Reborn (at least up until the end of the Vongola Tournament arc)

looks like i've got 5 animes to watch

where should i start?

Summer Wars. It's just a movie, so it's the easiest to get knocked out of the way/avoid procrastinating on and is great stuff.

After that though, definitely TTGL.

Stage On

ScraftyDevil should watch Gunbuster me thinks.

Word. That's one of the best anime ever!

I'm not sure I could even do a top ten list anymore since my tastes have changed so much as I get older. I really like action series but I also like some older thought provoking stuff like Wings of honneamise or Whisper of the heart.

I might give it a shot But this isn't really the thread for that

Any top anime list that includes mecha shows but doesn't contain the original Macross series is factually incorrect.

Toku-SM series is still my favourite.

Still need to watch this, have had it sitting around forever.

Prefer the comics to the animation as far as Sailor Moon is confirmed. Tuxedo La Smoking Bomber, yo.

Busaiku

They should just change the stats of single line Pokemon to make them better.
Like Emolga should be like 80/95/85/95/85/110 or something.

Yeah.

Top Bottom