• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Stage On

Any top anime list that includes mecha shows but doesn't contain the original Macross series is factually incorrect.

Still need to watch this, have had it sitting around forever.

Prefer the comics to the animation as far as Sailor Moon is confirmed. Tuxedo La Smoking Bomber, yo.

Well you're in luck, the new Sailor Moon anime is supposed to be more faithful to the original Manga!

balddemon

Banned
was making pretty good progress in ruby. then I got to the fortree city gym...good lord. I got demolished. my team consists of

lv29 voltorb
lv23 aron
lv35 combusken
lv17 swablu
lv26 manectric
lv27 pelipper

the only reason I have manectric is because I caught him at lvl 26...was too lazy to catch a low level electrike lol. aron is because aggron is badass...too bad he doesn't evolve to lairon until 32 and aggron at 42 :( and when I caught swablu, I had dreams of raising a beastmode altaria...but swablu sucks.

I sure hope my friend has his action replay still haha.

Macka

I'm actually rewatching Tamers for the first time since first seeing it as a kid at the moment. It's still pretty cool, although the first half was super slow. When you get around to watching it PK...push through, it's worth it!

Gurren Lagann is definitely in my top ten, and it's one of the only 'giant robot' series that I've liked. Other fans series include Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Code Geass, Eden of the East and Monster.

MikeMyers

was making pretty good progress in ruby. then I got to the fortree city gym...good lord. I got demolished. my team consists of

lv29 voltorb
lv23 aron
lv35 combusken
lv17 swablu
lv26 manectric
lv27 pelipper

the only reason I have manectric is because I caught him at lvl 26...was too lazy to catch a low level electrike lol. aron is because aggron is badass...too bad he doesn't evolve to lairon until 32 and aggron at 42 :( and when I caught swablu, I had dreams of raising a beastmode altaria...but swablu sucks.

I sure hope my friend has his action replay still haha.

Use the Castform it comes with an Ice move haha, I actually beat Atalria with Hail + Powder Snow combo once.

Manetrike or Electrode should be able to handle Skarmory and Pepplier with Thunderbolt, Shock Wave can bypass Swllow's Double Team.

balddemon

Banned
Use the Castform it comes with an Ice move haha, I actually beat Atalria with Hail + Powder Snow combo once.

Manetrike or Electrode should be able to handle Skarmory and Pepplier with Thunderbolt, Shock Wave can bypass Swllow's Double Team.

manectric took out swellow with one tbolt. then altaria comes out and I send out castform. manage to start hail and use powder snow one time. aron and combusken got ohko'd by eq. pelipper managed to confuse altaria who hurt itself in it's confusion but was only confused for one turn (such bullshit). then breloom comes out and uses mach punch, taking out about half altaria's remaining hp. altaria ohko'd breloom...and effect spore poisons altaria! I send manectric out and altaria faints from poison lol. manectric then proceeds to ko skarmory and pelipper. all in all, a pretty lucky battle :p

not looking forward to the twins.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I want to slap this board for ignoring shows like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and a bunch of 70's and 80's anime.

Better villain? Maybe. Better character? Not a Vanillite's chance on Cinnabar. Oikawa's backstory was much, much better and his character arc seemed more natural. Plus, his motive didn't devolve into "welp, looks like it's time to take over the world!"

Plus he's voiced by Jamieson Price, which gives him instant awesome points.

But much like 02's other characters, his backstory isn't really pushed out a lot and instead gets swept under the rock.

They should just change the stats of single line Pokemon to make them better.
Like Emolga should be like 80/95/85/95/85/110 or something.

Yeah.

I definitely agree on rerolling a lot of Pokemon's stats but I don't think GF has ever done that. At most they usually add an evo that fixes stats.

Wiseblade

I want to slap this board for ignoring shows like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and a bunch of 70's and 80's anime.

Ignoring what now? I could have sworn I voted it anime of the year 2012 even though only like 3 episodes actually aired last year.
And those three episodes were AMAZING

looks like i've got 5 animes to watch

where should i start?

I'd start from the bottom and go up. You only really need to watch 3 arcs of Reborn before it jumps the shark a little too high for my taste, plus it's always good to save the best for last.

Alternatively, start with Hellsing Ultimate because it's only like 12 episodes.

ScraftyDevil should watch Gunbuster me thinks.

Thanks, I'll give that a look.

Wiseblade

I'm not hating on Tamers, I just think people give it too much credit because "it's their first dark show!" Same with Akiba and TTGL.

Except it's not the "darkness" that I like about any of those shows (I wouldn't really consider Akibaranger and TTGL dark at all, really) it's the self awareness. Tamers takes the core themes of Digimon (kids teaming up with MONSTARS INSIDE UR PEECEE) and plays around with it in interesting ways. It's like the writer overheard some kids talking about "how cool it would be if Digimon were real" and decided to make a show about how wrong they were. It does have some dark elements, but I don't like it because of the darkness nor would I consider it a dark show.

TTGL and Akibaranger also feature that self awareness, but cranked up to 11. It's that "The rules of this universe are stupid, but I'm going to exploit that to my advantage" craziness that I love. Having characters realise that hot-bloodedness is the strongest force in the universe and using it to power their giant robots is great. Having a fanboy of people fighting in rainbow coloured suits figue out he's simply a character in an (unofficial) iteration of that same franchise is spectacular.

Magnus

In every single Pokemon game I've played, I've never had as much success at gyms with an evenly levelled, evenly matched team of Pokemon, as I have with one or two highly levelled Pokemon (usually my starter and one other). Just make sure they have at least 2 or 3 types of attack under their belt and you can steamroll. If it ever gets tight, judicious use of items, FTW.

Also, damn, is it bad that I'm 28 but still had fun spinning around my bedroom last night playing Dream Radar for the first time? lol

In every single Pokemon game I've played, I've never had as much success at gyms with an evenly levelled, evenly matched team of Pokemon, as I have with one or two highly levelled Pokemon (usually my starter and one other). Just make sure they have at least 2 or 3 types of attack under their belt and you can steamroll. If it ever gets tight, judicious use of items, FTW.

I just treat Pokémon as if they were any other JRPG for the most part. Works, too, especially when you're dealing with PMD.

Also, damn, is it bad that I'm 28 but still had fun spinning around my bedroom last night playing Dream Radar for the first time? lol

*highfivepawclaws*

Refyref

I used to go through the game just leveling my starter and catching high level Pokemon along the way, never leveling them. Only in gen 5 I started training an even team, with all the party coming into play. The biggest reason for that is the new EXP system. Can't go easily back to the old one. Well, that and Audino.

*highfivepawclaws*

So now you're officially a Chespin?

Boss Doggie

Why does Nuzleaf have nipples? It baffles me.

Except it's not the "darkness" that I like about any of those shows (I wouldn't really consider Akibaranger and TTGL dark at all, really) it's the self awareness. Tamers takes the core themes of Digimon (kids teaming up with MONSTARS INSIDE UR PEECEE) and plays around with it in interesting ways. It's like the writer overheard some kids talking about "how cool it would be if Digimon were real" and decided to make a show about how wrong they were. It does have some dark elements, but I don't like it because of the darkness nor would I consider it a dark show.

TTGL and Akibaranger also feature that self awareness, but cranked up to 11. It's that "The rules of this universe are stupid, but I'm going to exploit that to my advantage" craziness that I love. Having characters realise that hot-bloodedness is the strongest force in the universe and using it to power their giant robots is great. Having a fanboy of people fighting in rainbow coloured suits figue out he's simply a character in an (unofficial) iteration of that same franchise is spectacular.

It is the most common thing touted by fans though. And honestly I don't like how they tried to mesh it with "realism". But eh...

Also for TTGL and Akiba it's not dark. I guess it's my bad on putting "same". It's mostly your reasoning on why I don't like it. Self awareness is fine but not if it tries paint itself one like an attention whore.

Ignoring what now? I could have sworn I voted it anime of the year 2012 even though only like 3 episodes actually aired last year.
And those three episodes were AMAZING

I guess I mean thread, not board. :p

Wiseblade

Why does Nuzleaf have nipples? It baffles me.

It is the most common thing touted by fans though. And honestly I don't like how they tried to mesh it with "realism". But eh...

Also for TTGL and Akiba it's not dark. I guess it's my bad on putting "same". It's mostly your reasoning on why I don't like it. Self awareness is fine but not if it tries paint itself one like an attention whore.

If you really want to see bad self-awareness, just look up some sprite comics from around 2003-4. It's like there was a rule of thumb that "if the characters make a joke about how lazy pallette swaps are once a month, then it's OK to keep liberally using pallette swaps." Self awareness is not a tool to lampshade the flaws of the author/artist and hope that makes everything better. Akibaranger, TTGL and Tamers earn their self-awareness and put it to good use.

Boss Doggie

If you really want to see bad self-awareness, just look up some sprite comics from around 2003-4. It's like there was a rule of thumb that "if the characters make a joke about how lazy pallette swaps are once a month, then it's OK to keep liberally using pallette swaps." Self awareness is not a tool to lampshade the flaws of the author/artist and hope that makes everything better. Akibaranger, TTGL and Tamers earn their self-awareness and put it to good use.

For me, self-awareness that tries to be... transparent... is terrible. As for TTGL that's just not my only problem. I already said my pangs on it.

Oh, I missed the claws part.

So I guess you are part Chespin part Haxorus. :p

A cute, cuddly Haxorus for some reason.

To be exact:

picture.php

("Chibi Haxorus, I guess by ununununium" from the file name on my disk - he's probably on deviantART.)

Refyref

Yes.
Even though my account wasn't activated yet then.

That thread sure was one heck of a wild ride.
I had to be a lurked simply because I had no educational address until I got into uni and my original ISP email is banned and can't be used for registering. This went for half a decade, perhaps even more.

Aggrotek

Which is probably why he posted a Pikachu. :p

Anyway, I looked through the DA gallery of the artist we talked about above, and some things here might be nice avatars for the future:

Oh god I call dibs on Ttar.

Also. Episode 4 is done being recorded, editing now. Be prepared for an unknown amount of heartache/joy.

Top Bottom