• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Heh, despite people complaining about "legendaries are all dragons", it's only the 3rd most abundant type in legendaries. The most abundant is psychic, followed by flying.

Firestorm

Yesterday I found out Victini is part Psychic. I had no clue. I should probably have figured considering there's a Psychic type card of him and everything but yeah...

And yeah gonna enter the friendly with some of the 'mons sitting around in my boxes. Can't wait to use Lugia again. I'll have to transfer him over to Black 2 though. Think it's currently in my Black which I transferred him over into from HeartGold for a local tournament...

I LOVE new gen rumours. Nothing else better.

I WANT THEM ALL TO BE TRUE.

Actually, that X and Y anime one sounds plausible. That Genesect movie one... doesn't.

PK Gaming

Yesterday I found out Victini is part Psychic. I had no clue. I should probably have figured considering there's a Psychic type card of him and everything but yeah...

And yeah gonna enter the friendly with some of the 'mons sitting around in my boxes. Can't wait to use Lugia again. I'll have to transfer him over to Black 2 though. Think it's currently in my Black which I transferred him over into from HeartGold for a local tournament...

no fucking way

you're kidding right >_>

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I LOVE new gen rumours. Nothing else better.

I WANT THEM ALL TO BE TRUE.

Actually, that X and Y anime one sounds plausible. That Genesect movie one... doesn't.

I liked the Duskaman rumor better.

I'm trying to compile all the X/Y Rumors by the way, going to start keeping track of them. Anyone know of other ones to add?

Busaiku

I really hope Ash keeps his Pokemon going into the 6th gen.
This is easily his best set, and there hasn't been nearly enough time with them.

This friendly is actually more exciting to me than the VGC ones since the format is so novel. I expect to see some crazy stuff in rotation ubers.

I also expect to get destroyed by all the 5th gen ubers that I know next to nothing about lol.

Stage On

I really hope Ash keeps his Pokemon going into the 6th gen.
This is easily his best set, and there hasn't been nearly enough time with them.

It would be nice especially since some of them have so much potential if they would only evolve. If his Scraggy evolved it would be sensational.

That said if the rumor is true it's going to be weird for him to not have the grass type starter. I mean he's always had the grass type starter.

But the reason I don't believe the rumor is the fact he'd be traveling with three other people. With Ash doing the gym battles what does that leave for all of them to do exactly?

Aggrotek

It would be nice especially since some of them have so much potential if they would only evolve. If his Scraggy evolved it would be sensational.

That said if the rumor is true it's going to be weird for him to not have the grass type starter. I mean he's always had the grass type starter.

But the reason I don't believe the rumor is the fact he'd be traveling with three other people. With Ash doing the gym battles what does that leave for all of them to do exactly?

They did it with May, Max, and Brock. Right?

Girl takes the Max role of learning about Pokemon without actually doing anything with them, sporty guy can be quirky Cilan-style comic relief, and jazz musician guy can have a mysterious past or a quest for vengence; basically, filling the role that N looks to be filling in Episode N.

Watch Da Birdie

Hoenn had three traveling companions as well, and, well, they had Brock and Max doing nothing and were perfectly fine with it.

We don't know what Gen IV has in terms of side-quests, though. If Musicals return, maybe they'll focus on those?

Stage On

Girl takes the Max role of learning about Pokemon without actually doing anything with them, sporty guy can be quirky Cilan-style comic relief, and jazz musician guy can have a mysterious past or a quest for vengence; basically, filling the role that N looks to be filling in Episode N.

Hoenn had three traveling companions as well, and, well, they had Brock and Max doing nothing and were perfectly fine with it.

We don't know what Gen IV has in terms of side-quests, though. If Musicals return, maybe they'll focus on those?

Hoenn only worked with that many people because they actually gave the female sidekick something to do other then just be a bump on a log/cheerleader like Misty and Iris are most of the time.

Having three people around doing next to nothing rather then two doesn't seem like much of an improvement.

Busaiku

Oshawott should never evolve.

Stage On

Oshawott should never evolve.

Maybe but Snivy could defiantly stand for it especially now that Trip's been written off the show.

I kind of want Oshawott to evolve just so Ash could finally have a fully evolved water type for once since he's got a couple of fully evolved fire and grass types already.

Him getting only the fire starter instead of all three will guaranty it's evolution but he needs that like a hole in the head considering his reserves.

Firestorm

no fucking way

you're kidding right >_>
Synre found out only a day before me. Victini isn't allowed in competition so we never paid attention to it. A bunch of us have been doing Smogon Doubles for shits and giggles with troll teams and VGC teams and I found out that way when hovering over it XD

Don't worry. Huy and Paul already made fun of me :(

Also I only found out what type Kyurem-B was this week. I mean I remember reading about it a while ago but didn't really keep it in memory.

Busaiku

He only had 3 Water Starters though.
He had every Grass Starer and all but 1 Fire Starter, so it's not surprising he has most of them fully evolved.

Watch Da Birdie

Ash doesn't have any evolved Water Starters. :/

In fact the only Water Pokemon of his that's evolved was Kingler, discounting Palpitoad since it was caught as Palpitoad. Totodile, Oshawott, and the "replacement Water Staters" Corphish and Buizel never evolved.

Meanwhile he has Bayleaf, Sceptile, Torterra, and Leavanny for Grass, and Quilava, Charizard, Infernape, and Pignite (and his only other Fire Pokemon, Torkoal, can't evolve)

Stage On

He only had 3 Water Starters though.
He had every Grass Starer and all but 1 Fire Starter, so it's not surprising he has most of them fully evolved.

Heck I'd even be happy if more of his non starter Water Pokemon evolved.

Corphish never became Crawdaunt which was a bit of a let down and Buziel never becoming Floatzel was even worse since that's his only 4th gen Pokemon that didn't evolve.

Another reason Best wishes sucks so much, they hold back on evolutions way too much. I liked how progressive Diamond and pearl was about that

Stage On

What type of small changes would you make to the anime to make it better?

I would add a competent female rival. Bianca was nice addition to the cast but she's treated more as a joke then as a serious threat

Give Ash a competent travelling companion. Someone who acted like a wise mentor and got him out of some tight spots when necessary would be cool.

That and have him evolve all of the Pokémon in his party so that his victories with unevolved 'mons don't feel like flukes.

Stage On

Give Ash a competent travelling companion. Someone who acted like a wise mentor and got him out of some tight spots when necessary would be cool.

That and have him evolve all of the Pokémon in his party so that his victories with unevolved 'mons don't feel like flukes.

Feh if they actually stuck to his character development then Ash shouldn't really need a mentor around. That was one of the reasons Brock felt comfotable leaving him once and for all since he felt he Ash had grown enough that he wasn't really needed any more.

If anything he should be the mentor himself at this stage of the game

What type of small changes would you make to the anime to make it better?

I would add a competent female rival. Bianca was nice addition to the cast but she's treated more as a joke then as a serious threat

I think they tried but she never had enough appearances to stay relevant. While we're on the subject, why did the writers use future Cheren when they kept past Bianca and N? It just feels so weird.

I would be all for that. Since Ash appears to be stuck as the character who must always suck, have someone join him who is actually super knowledgeable and talented at battles. The show doesn't even have to be overt about it; just put them in a few tough-looking situations that whoever it may be breezes through like it's nothing.

I'm tired of everyone around Ash being a half-assed Pokémon trainer.

Stage On

I think they tried but she never had enough appearances to stay relevant. While we're on the subject, why did the writers use future Cheren when they kept past Bianca and N? It just feels so weird.

But she never once had a serious battle with Ash and always seemed to loss pretty badly in the mini tournaments :(

As for Cheren my guess is they used the future version just because they wanted to advertise another gym leader.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ash was really growing in Hoenn (a veteran trainer to May) and Sinnoh (to Dawn) but in BW they decided to revert him. smh anime

Also I guess Brock and Misty can still see each other.

Hmm... so Misty hasn't met Dawn and Unova cast, while May hasn't met the Unova cast.

Stage On

Honestly I'm not even sure why they bothered with the Dawn guest star. She showed up again only to do jack nothing so what was the point?

Hey guys, 2 new videos up today.

The first is Episode 1 of Generation One, our new Podcast. The audio kinda sucks on it, but we are working on fixing it for future episodes.

The second is Episode 6 of Treeks & Geeks, found here. Please watch and let me know what you think. :)

I finally watched both of these!

On the Podcast, definitely get the audio fixed so all three of you come in loudly and clearly. And you should talk more. I'm only listening because you're on it. Haha! Other than that, I enjoyed it and look forward to next month's!

Good-bye Squishy! Your team had its Flying weaknesses exposed. But you handled it the best way I think you could have. If you plan on keeping Makuhita long-term, you could maybe teach it your Rock Tomb TM. Though as slow as he is, fighting Flying-types might still be too dangerous. It could eventually help with Flannery's gym too however.

I expect Ike the Makuhita/Hariyama to destroy Norman's gym at least.

Watch Da Birdie

I remember seeing a post on /vp/ the other day where a dude advertised his Nuzlocke Stream...and used a x30 EXP modifier AR code making his Pokemon 20 Levels above everything else.

He got taken out by Skyla's Skarmory, lol.

Stage On

He practically does anyways. It really doesn't matter anymore.

If they reset as much as Best wishes did all the time we never would have got Advance Generation or Diamond and Pearl which where both really good.

The question is why did they reset? Did the writers change or something? If so how do we get rid of the current ones and bring the old ones back?

Why kick off Cilan if they are going to FRANCE?

I'll probably warm up to the new sidekicks in due time, I guess if the leaks prove true.

Watch Da Birdie

The question is why did they reset? Did the writers change or something? If so how do we get rid of the current ones and bring the old ones back?

To mimic the fresh approach of the Gen V games. You know, no old Pokemon pre-E4.

I don't recall there being a major shift regarding WHO worked on the show.

Stage On

Why kick off Cilan if they are going to FRANCE?

I'll probably warm up to the new sidekicks in due time, I guess if the leaks prove true.

The new sidekicks will likely be someone from the new games. Plus this way Cilan doesn't have time to become stale like Brock did

To mimic the fresh approach of the Gen V games. You know, no old Pokemon pre-E4.

I don't recall there being a major shift regarding WHO worked on the show.

The had a fresh approach for Gen 3 and yet Advance Generation didn't reset anything.

To make matters worse it was the really bad kind of reset since instead of being a full on reboot everything from the past seasons still happened.

If they cut off the contiunity from the past series having Ash as a more or less fresh trainer then things would make sense. But because Dawn was in both series that means it's the same Ash we've had all along and not a different version of him. But yet he acts so differently most of the time it's almost hard to believe that it's the same person.

Once and awhile you still see a flash of the old competent Ash in their, but the rest of the time it's like his extensive skills and experience where sucked out with a straw.

Advance Generation and Diamond and pearl where good because they built off of what had gone on before. The reason Best Wish's sucks so bad is because they purposely threw all that foundation aside in order to regress and be closer in feel to the original series.

Top Bottom