• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

MikeMyers

Yeah agree with Stage On here, ADV and DDPT anime felt like Ash was really coming into his own. Then the new eps just felt like it threw that all away...either continue Ash progression, or get a new protagonist.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The had a fresh approach for Gen 3 and yet Advance Generation didn't reset anything.

They kind of did...Ash kept all his old Pokemon at the lab till post-League, and exclusively used Hoenn Pokemon.

I actually liked that, because the Hoenn Team rocked.

JoeM86

Yeah agree with Stage On here, ADV and DDPT anime felt like Ash was really coming into his own. Then the new eps just felt like it threw that all away...either continue Ash progression, or get a new protagonist.

I disagree. People are focusing far too much on the first two episodes of BW in making this assessment. When you look at the saga as a whole, you'll see that Ash is still as competent, if not more, than in the previous sagas. The dub doesn't help matters at times, though.

Refyref

Hey guys, 2 new videos up today.

The first is Episode 1 of Generation One, our new Podcast. The audio kinda sucks on it, but we are working on fixing it for future episodes.

The second is Episode 6 of Treeks & Geeks, found here. Please watch and let me know what you think. :)

R.I.P. Squishy, he went squish.

Also, all of this anime talk, I remember people praising Best Wishes until about a month ago. Wonder what happened?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Actually Cameron/Kotetsu isn't really even a terrible character. If anything it's Ash/writer's problem than Cameron.

Also, all of this anime talk, I remember people praising Best Wishes until about a month ago. Wonder what happened?

It was really pretty damn good by Pokemon standards until Ash got his last badge. Then it started treading water and gave us a pretty unsatisfactory League, so people are pretty down on it at the moment.

Episode N's shaping up nicely, though.

Refyref

It was really pretty damn good by Pokemon standards until Ash got his last badge. Then it started treading water and gave us a pretty unsatisfactory League, so people are pretty down on it at the moment.

Episode N's shaping up nicely, though.

Let me guess, is Episode N their adaption of B/W's final scene?

Also, I can't stop listening to the track from Join Avenue.

N's an opposing force to Team Plasma, Colress is doing more overtly antagonistic experiments, and Ghetsis and the grunts are in their BW2 gear, but N takes up elements of his BW characterisation and doesn't appear to control Reshiram any more.

It's using the basic tenets of the BW2 plot as a springboard for their own stuff, basically.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I disagree. People are focusing far too much on the first two episodes of BW in making this assessment. When you look at the saga as a whole, you'll see that Ash is still as competent, if not more, than in the previous sagas. The dub doesn't help matters at times, though.

Uh...no?

Remember how he repeatedly lost to Trip who, unlike Paul, wasn't a full-on veteran?
Remember how he forgot to bring more than one Pokemon to the Elesa Gym Battle?
Remember how he obtained his last badge in a 6 vs. 3 battle against Roxie, and still ended up losing his whole team bar Pikachu?
Remember how he lost to Cameron, even though the latter literally forgot to bring 6 Pokemon.

What show are you watching?

Stage On

I don't know, If Ash was still as competent as he used to be why isn't he using his more advanced tactics like Counter Spin at all anymore?

Hey, PokéGAF, I wonder why I am strangely attracted to the crazy-looking Chespin fake evo in the last page.

O7F7fGR.gif

Aggrotek

Well guys, Treecks & Geeks might be fucked.... I tried loading up my game and it would glitch and come to a complete stop after taking 2 steps. So I deleted the emulator, redownloaded it, and my save file wont even load now.

I get the error message: Unsupported VisualBoyAdvance save game version 9.

I have no idea what this means, or how to fix it. Even if I did, the emulator still comes to a halt after stepping on 2 squares. I don't know what to do.

Refyref

Well guys, Treecks & Geeks might be fucked.... I tried loading up my game and it would glitch and come to a complete stop after taking 2 steps. So I deleted the emulator, redownloaded it, and my save file wont even load now.

I get the error message: Unsupported VisualBoyAdvance save game version 9.

I have no idea what this means, or how to fix it. Even if I did, the emulator still comes to a halt after stepping on 2 squares. I don't know what to do.

I remember that error. There is a way to fix it, I think I did in the past. Google around, you might find a solution.

Aggrotek

I remember that error. There is a way to fix it, I think I did in the past. Google around, you might find a solution.

I'm trying, but it's looking bleak.

Edit: Just found a step in the right direction. I think I was using the wrong VBA version, but now when I load up a save state it just freezes the program...

Refyref

I'm trying, but it's looking bleak.

Edit: Just found a step in the right direction. I think I was using the wrong VBA version, but now when I load up a save state it just freezes the program...

Using the wrong version is the most likely reason for getting that error. Anyway, did you ever use the in-game save feature? Because it's easier to get those to work.

Refyref

No... which means im fucked.

Well, if you can walk 2 or so steps before the game crashes when you use the correct version of VBA, try to save before doing anything, and then reload the game, and load the save file through the main menu. See if that works, might clear some of the garbage in the save state file. Otherwise, did you always use the same state slot? I think there might be an autosave feature too, check if more state files exist in the folder.

Aggrotek

Mannn that sucks that it happened. :( I never actually got around to watch these but I plan to

Any plans on what to do next?

I'm still in the process of figuring it out. But it really isn't looking good. If it doesn't work I'm going to try to start the project I had planned for afterwards. In which I will save using the in game prompts and make multiple copies.

I blame this all on my shitty computer.

Stage On

I'm still in the process of figuring it out. But it really isn't looking good. If it doesn't work I'm going to try to start the project I had planned for afterwards. In which I will save using the in game prompts and make multiple copies.

I blame this all on my shitty computer.

Aw man this sucks. If only Porygon was real and could help you out :(

MikeMyers

Uh...no?

Remember how he repeatedly lost to Trip who, unlike Paul, wasn't a full-on veteran?
Remember how he forgot to bring more than one Pokemon to the Elesa Gym Battle?
Remember how he obtained his last badge in a 6 vs. 3 battle against Roxie, and still ended up losing his whole team bar Pikachu?
Remember how he lost to Cameron, even though the latter literally forgot to bring 6 Pokemon.

What show are you watching?

That was the one that made me think "Jee, this seems like something Kanto Ash would do"

Aggrotek

Ok, I have good news, and hopeful news.

The good news is that my emulator is working properly now.
The hopeful news is that Refyref is helping to see if we can find a solution.

Worse comes to worse; I start my 2nd Nuzlocke run.

I know you can overcome this! Believe in the me who believes in you who believes in Refyref!

Aggrotek

I know you can overcome this! Believe in the me who believes in you who believes in Refyref!

Good to hear this!

Thanks for the support guys. I was really bummed out, but I was chilling with a friend and I really had to step back and calm down.

It's no use getting bent out of shape. Things like this happen, and if it doesn't get finished, that's ok. :) I can always try again another time.

injurai

Banned

Good luck.

I also can't wait for News News.

Top Bottom