• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

cafemomo

Has anyone been able to beat the champions in the world tournament? I was able to beat the rest quite easily but feel like I have no chance against any of the champions.

Only person I had trouble with in the PWT was Wallace.

Other than that is was fairly easy.

It was nice beating Blue and Steven from the same Pokemon I had from FR/LG and RSE.

Stage On

It actually is. Our minds are just clouded by nostalgia. Besides, don't forget, the anime is actually aimed at 8-12 year olds

Nostalgia? Diamond and Pearl wasn't that long ago and for the most part it was heads and tails better then Best Wishes could ever hope to accomplish.

The only thing Best Wishes did better was having good rivals for the supporting cast and fixing Team rocket slightly by not featuring them in every episode anymore.

Just because it's aimed at kids is no excuse for them to backslide in quality like they have.

JoeM86

Nostalgia? Diamond and Pearl wasn't that long ago and for the most part it was heads and tails better then Best Wishes could ever hope to accomplish.

The only thing Best Wishes did better was having good rivals for the supporting cast and fixing Team rocket slightly by not featuring them in every episode anymore.

Just because it's aimed at kids is no excuse for them to backslide in quality like they have.

DP was awful. It was filled with filler. Hell, there was a YEAR gap between the Snowpoint and Sunyshore gyms

Neo Child

Banned
DP was awful. It was filled with filler. Hell, there was a YEAR gap between the Snowpoint and Sunyshore gyms

Season 1&2 were actually decent, recently watched Go West Young Meowth. The characters have so much heart and personality here.

Johto - Stories became Pokemon of the Day episodes, and always followed the same format.

Hoenn - I liked the new characters, so enjoyed more than Johto but almost always kept the Pokemon of the Day episodes, however battling got more enjoyable.

Sinnoh - More interesting episodes than Hoenn, really started to remove any traits of personality of the main characters with the new dub.

Unova - New characters are lame, literally can be summarised into catchphrases "so psyched" "such a kid" "something something flavours", battles lots better but stories are always lame - its tragic watching an old episode than a new one cause all the characters have basically lost any scraps of their personality.

MikeMyers

Season 1&2 were actually decent, recently watched Go West Young Meowth. The characters have so much heart and personality here.

Johto - Stories became Pokemon of the Day episodes, and always followed the same format.

Hoenn - I liked the new characters, so enjoyed more than Johto but almost always kept the Pokemon of the Day episodes, however battling got more enjoyable.

Sinnoh - More interesting episodes than Hoenn, really started to remove any traits of personality of the main characters with the new dub.

Unova - New characters are lame, literally can be summarised into catchphrases "so psyched" "such a kid" "something something flavours", battles lots better but stories are always lame - its tragic watching an old episode than a new one cause all the characters have basically lost any scraps of their personality.

Yeah, I really liked the Kanto episodes, same for Orange Islands.

I give Hoenn props for introducing contest battles, I did enjoy those.

JoeM86

In Unova, it can get character-focused, but it does often take a backseat to plot

harmonize

I still hold to the belief that this show would be in much better shape today if they had just gotten rid of Ash either when Misty left or at the end of AG. Aside from his Pokemon count and his relationship with a few of them, his character hasn't evolved in a meaningful way since the battle frontier; rehashing the mentor/protege angle with a few minutely different variables in Diamond and Pearl seemed like a desperate attempt to keep him relevant even when it became clear that his persona had run its course.

And then having him lose the Sinnoh league when his skill level and Pokemon gave him, for the first time, a realistic shot of winning it, ugggghhhh. What a missed opportunity; a phrase that sums up the show since the Orange Islands pretty well.

Firestorm

Reboot or spinoff with manga storyline would get me to watch :( I haven't tuned in since sometime during Johto (I think around the Morty battle) and can't say I would go back to it.

JoeM86

I still hold to the belief that this show would be in much better shape today if they had just gotten rid of Ash either when Misty left or at the end of AG. Aside from his Pokemon count and his relationship with a few of them, his character hasn't evolved in a meaningful way since the battle frontier; rehashing the mentor/protege angle with a few minutely different variables in Diamond and Pearl seemed like a desperate attempt to keep him relevant even when it became clear that his persona had run its course.

And then having him lose the Sinnoh league when his skill level and Pokemon gave him, for the first time, a realistic shot of winning it, ugggghhhh. What a missed opportunity; a phrase that sums up the show since the Orange Islands pretty well.

It'd just end up the same, just with a different character

harmonize

I blame the writers before I blame ash since well.....they decide all his actions.
Erm, of course. The writers sucked the personality and development out of their main character which, in turn, turned the show into a perpetual continuation of a story that should have ended; not sure I was being unclear enough to warrant that type of confusion.

ffdgh

I wonder how well/badly the show would be received if they made Ash won stuff and act very smart. A show where the hero always wins is a boring show...

And one where he loses every time before he gets a chance to fight the E4 is better? :D

It not a big deal, I just wouldn't mind if he had more chances to win. Oh well next time he may fight them in poke france....nah lol.

Gregorn

Fuck Cynthia and that cheating Garchomp.

Every goddamn time.

BuA970U.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
http://i.imgur.com/NYPibkV.png

That Mr. XY posted again on 4chan last night, with a list of around 80/99 of the New Pokemon, and the list of Gym Leaders and Elite Four.

Sounds...pretty interesting. Probably fake, but I wouldn't mind some of those Pokemon coming true.

That Mr. XY posted again on 4chan last night, with a list of around 80/99 of the New Pokemon, and the list of Gym Leaders and Elite Four.

Sounds...pretty interesting. Probably fake, but I wouldn't mind some of those Pokemon coming true.

Considering we've already seen what is pretty clearly a grass gym in the reveal trailer that's nowhere to be found on that list, I'm happy to write it off.

No bad thing. Spoiling all of this so far out would be no fun at all.

harmonize

Considering we've already seen what is pretty clearly a grass gym in the reveal trailer that's nowhere to be found on that list, I'm happy to write it off.
The clip where the main character falls on the web in a gym setting? It's the first gym leader on his list.

Pretty fake, though. A shame, as some of what he's said sounds like they could be pleasant additions to the series.

The clip where the main character falls on the web in a gym setting? It's the first gym leader on his list.

Pretty fake, though. A shame, as some of what he's said sounds like they could be pleasant additions to the series.

The one with the swinging on the vines around a big tree.

If that's overworld gameplay rather than a Grass gym, I'll eat my hat.

harmonize

The one with the swinging on the vines around a big tree.

If that's overworld gameplay rather than a Grass gym, I'll eat my hat.
I don't know, it seemed like they were showing overworld gameplay in that portion. The three clips where the character was clearly in an gym/league setting were shown consecutively, it seems odd that they would place a fourth one in a completely different portion of the trailer.

Watch Da Birdie

Only the Bug Net and the Room (with the visible Gym Sign) struck me as Gyms. The rumor fits with that assumption as the Bug and Psychic Gyms match up.

I think the tree is an over-world area, perhaps related to the one we saw behind Xerneas. And the Fiery Church looks like an Elite Four room too since the camera has an "epic zoom-out" and there's fire launching out of the floor. And the rumor claims that's probably "Ignatius'" room.

EDIT: One thing the guy did is checked his "mechanics", because all the names he posted fit within the character limits for Gym Leaders, Badges, and Towns...although I don't quite get what's going on with those town names. Tyrforge sounds nordic, though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You just want Pokémon like Ash's Squirtle & Krookodile, and Dawn's Buneary...wearing clothes and acting cool

Well, sunglasses from Krooky.

Hahaha yeah, I saw that in /vp/. Quite a ride.

Stage On

To be fair I never said it was perfect. That filler was DP's biggest flaw followed by how stale Brock and Team Rocket had gotten by that point.

But when it comes to leagues which are supposed to be the highpoint of each region, DP blows BW out of the water from orbit.

Heck Johto was even worse filler wise then DP and even it had a better league then BW.

If Ash wins, the show ends. :p

Why would the show have to end after winning one league? That hardly makes him The Pokemon World champion.

It's weird since in most other anime of this style like Yu-gi-oh the protagonist is pretty much guaranteed to win virtually every time no matter how much hax they have to pull off to do it.

And yet in Pokemon they won't even let the Protagonist win in the mini tournaments anymore :(

Watch Da Birdie

Black and White overall is way better than Diamond and Pearl.

Sinnoh destroys Unova though.

Probably the best Region in the series, imo, bar the required use of HMs. Yet I probably rank it the lowest in terms of Pokemon, especially the piss poor Regional Dex in DP.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Pft, Ash's DP team would have ripped Unova apart if he had been allowed to keep them.

I dunno, I thought they're both balanced. He has Staraptor and Infernape in one hand, and on the other he has Krookodile and surprisingly Unfeazant.

Sinnoh destroys Unova though.

Probably the best Region in the series, imo, bar the required use of HMs. Yet I probably rank it the lowest in terms of Pokemon, especially the piss poor Regional Dex in DP.

Well being the best doesn't mean being perfect. ;P

Yeah, Sinnoh has the best region although people seem to take umbridge on caves.

Top Bottom