• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

ffdgh

Heh No probs waiting here. Twas fun on gfaqs during black/white....still is actually.

Now if only I could find a copy of fire emblem awakening after playing that fun demo....

JoeM86

I just realized that this is probably the first time I've been in GAF with an entire period of time between XY's announcement and release.

I also just realized how painful the info drought can actually be first-hand.

Anyone had the feeling that XY might be like GS?

In that it's highly over-rated with horrific balance issues and short regions? God I hope not. :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Maybe we won't get any droughts because of the schedule, what with only 8 months of waiting. How long were the waits before from announcement to actual release?

I wanted to ask, how did Gen5 fared in sales compared to Gen4? (just considering the Main Games, not the spin offs) Like, Black&White beated Diamond and Pearl on it's first week sales in Japan or they were lower?

I'm not really clear on how Gen5 was received by the general "audience". I guess there are really mixed opinions on it.

I'm not really clear on how Gen5 was received by the general "audience". I guess there are really mixed opinions on it.

Most critics considered them to be the best Pokémon games in years, and IGN rightfully gave BW2 a 9.6/10.

To be quite honest, the only fans you'll see really hating Gen V are those who still think Gen I/II is the gospel. Others (even in this thread) aren't too fond of it, but are still willing to admit their superiority from a technical standpoint.

Playing White 2, I went back to Aspertia City, and went to the... whatever thing that is that's up high there.

The perspective makes you think of XY a lot.

It also made me think, what if Generation V just used that kind of perspective all the time, instead of when it feels like to do so?

JoeM86

I wanted to ask, how did Gen5 fared in sales compared to Gen4? (just considering the Main Games, not the spin offs) Like, Black&White beated Diamond and Pearl on it's first week sales in Japan or they were lower?

Sales wise, they're about on par

After 1 and a half years on sale, 1 of which it was on sale internationally, Black & White are at 15 million units (data covers September 2010 to March 2012)
After 6 months on sale, three of which are international, Black 2 & White 2 have sold 7.6 million units (data covers June 2012 to December 2012)

Conversely, as of March 2012:
Diamond & Pearl had sold 17.6 million since its launch in September 2006.
Platinum had sold around 8 million since its launch in September 2008
HeartGold & SoulSilver had sold 12.4 million since its launch in September 2009

We should have clearer figures next month

Playing White 2, I went back to Aspertia City, and went to the... whatever thing that is that's up high there.

The perspective makes you think of XY a lot.

It also made me think, what if Generation V just used that kind of perspective all the time, instead of when it feels like to do so?

I've seen people running gameshark codes that force that perspective. Other than a few graphical glitches here and there, it doesn't look bad.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Meloetta GameStop event starts today! Will have to set some time aside this week to go out to my GS.

East Side Blue > West Side Pink

Since I'm out of Arcanine stuff to post, I'll do Luxray instead.

Shinx was definitely one of the best Sinnoh lines. Awesome typing too (like a lot of Gen 4 'mons.)

JoeM86

Fun fact in regards to types. Typically, in the Ranger games, the Pokémon's assists are based on their type. However, in Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, Gorebyss and Huntail were actually given the Pokémon Assist types of Psychic & Dark respectively.

This makes me wonder if they were originally intended to have those types, which was then chosen against.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There's quite a few Pokemon who seem like they may have been planned to be other types before being finalized...I read an interesting piece about Venonat and Venomoth, and how, with all its radar abilities, Psychic-moves, and being used by Sabrina, it may have been Psychic at some point in development.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I decided to look at my collection and I noticed that my Regigigas have "Highly Curious." in his status.

Is it normal for my regigigas to have that? I'm not sure where I got my regigigas from.

ffdgh

I decided to look at my collection and I noticed that my Regigigashave "Highly Curious." in his status.

Is it normal for my regigigas to have that? I'm not sure where I got my regigigas from.

Fascinating....throw it into the darcare with ditto and see if magic happens.

There's quite a few Pokemon who seem like they may have been planned to be other types before being finalized...I read an interesting piece about Venonat and Venomoth, and how, with all its radar abilities, Psychic-moves, and being used by Sabrina, it may have been Psychic at some point in development.
Only other one that comes to mind is Frillish/Jellicent originally being pure Water.

Stage On

...So then only gym battles with the occasional "Ash catches a _____" episode? No thanks.

Well it's better then watching the dozen upon dozen pointless episodes Johto had again just to get to the real meat of the show.

They'd need to include episodes where a Pokemon learns a move and character development episodes like where Bulbasaur decides not to evolve.

Please keep ones with a really good battle like Heracross vs Scizor.

Hmm...

I think I'm bored, but... Have you ever thought of a Pokémon game that is part of Generation V again? If that happens, I think I'm going to freak out or something.

Maybe I'm just dreaming crazy stuff these days.

Also, is it Dwebble time?

Well it's better then watching the dozen upon dozen pointless episodes Johto had again just to get to the real meat of the show.

They'd need to include episodes where a Pokemon learns a move and character development episodes like where Bulbasaur decides not to evolve.

Please keep ones with a really good battle like Heracross vs Scizor.

I'd rather keep the formula the way it is.

Most critics considered them to be the best Pokémon games in years, and IGN rightfully gave BW2 a 9.6/10.

To be quite honest, the only fans you'll see really hating Gen V are those who still think Gen I/II is the gospel. Others (even in this thread) aren't too fond of it, but are still willing to admit their superiority from a technical standpoint.

I'm over Kanto and with Johto, having just replayed HG after like 3 years, it wasn't as good as my memories make it out to be, however, i'm beginning to think people put the GenV games really high mostly because of the decisive factor of Speed: In Battle, In Texts, etc. (a huge thing, i agree on that), but just decide to ignore many notable flaws in other important aspects:

-Battle sprite animations (those pixels... horrible, and playing on the 3DSXL made it even worse)

-Overworld graphics (like, i don't know if it's just me but the "3D" implemented was quite awful in many parts of the game, made everything look dirty and pixelated in contrast to, say, the consistent and stylized tiles used on gen 4 games. Besides from that, i wasn't really "wowed" by those zoom-in and zoom-outs, and Castelia was really weird with the grid movement trying to work with the pseudo-3D)

-Pokemon designs (really subjective, as most of this "arguments" are, but i can't ignore it. There were some really good designs but it wasn't a cohesive bunch of pokemon. Something about the overall look of the generation, the overall color palettes, it feels really "Off" and uninspired IMO)

-Bland story (that wasn't really improved on B2 or W2, but it's at least an starting point for the series)
or even the music (a bit overproduced and not really special, doesn't have Gen3 character and peculiarity or the lasting value of some of the tunes in Gen4)

I get it, it was an important step up for the franchise for many reasons, and they were really enjoyable, but i think they don't stand out from "above-average" pokemon games (B2 better than the first ones, though). I guess i still end up feeling like in Pokemon, you always finish the games with the sensation that something is missing and many things aren't as well developed as they could or should be, after so many years.

This is in no way a "Hate rant" against GenV, just me sharing some personal thoughts that i tried to express in the most objective way i could find. My take is based more on an artistic/aesthetic point of view of the games rather than a technical one and i guess that has more weight for me, and for the opinion i hold on them.

Sales wise, they're about on par

After 1 and a half years on sale, 1 of which it was on sale internationally, Black & White are at 15 million units (data covers September 2010 to March 2012)
After 6 months on sale, three of which are international, Black 2 & White 2 have sold 7.6 million units (data covers June 2012 to December 2012)

Conversely, as of March 2012:
Diamond & Pearl had sold 17.6 million since its launch in September 2006.
Platinum had sold around 8 million since its launch in September 2008
HeartGold & SoulSilver had sold 12.4 million since its launch in September 2009

We should have clearer figures next month

Well, impressive. If you take into account the years they were released apparently Gen5 games were a lot more succesful, if they can actually match 4 years of sales in a lot less time...

(Sorry if i came out as incoherent or anything, this isn't my native language and i've lost a lot of practice over the years)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I agree on the sprites being terrible - but it mostly me wondering why they are so zoomed in. In any case the move to 3D models will prevent stuff like this. Hell I think it can accomplish more than what sprites have, like being able to customize!

Overworld graphics? Never really took much about it since older Pokemon games have shitty overworld to begin with. It's why I never have much problem with XY's overworld.

The rest are all subjective so I'll skip to them.

In any case Gen V was definitely more about polish, and the combination of mechanical and technical improvements. That's why I love it more over the previous gens. There's just so much perfection in its underlying engine that it feels like a really great swan song for DS gens.

Next male I catch will be Prof. Beef.

I want in on this action.

You've gotta win this one, Aggro. For Estragon.

Also:

hFF53CD97

Top Bottom