• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Kokonoe

Banned
So...

Gen IV appreciation time.

0H4ez.jpg

WatIJ.gif

Gen 4 appreciation?
CowuD.png

I love this guy, one of my favourite pokemon, I hate snow warning though, it's a pain.
Oddly it seems no one else actually cares for Abomasnow, what the hell guys?!

jswfs.png

Took a while to grow on me but something about this lard arse amuses me to the point he crept up my personal poke rankings. Before I was all about Electivire but Magmortar usurped him.

8NY95.png

So good, I loved the concept of Gligar but it being weak, rather small and a few design quirks made me not like it so much, in come Gliscor to save the day, it was everything I ever wanted.

I'll leave Empoleon up to Wiseblade, he can do the guy better justice.

And while traversing the world map is a pain in the ass due to excessive HM needs I do feel that Sinnoh is a fantastic region to go through, there's something so adventurous about it, if only the Gen 4 games didn't run like complete shit i'd play through platinum again.

Gen 4 brought us great Pokemon like Monferno, Ambipom, Shinx, Gible and Leafeon. Especially Monferno, best looking monkey Pokemon around. Where did they go wrong with Infernape? He's as bad as Empoleon (Talk about another line where it went south as far as the final evolution was concerned)

Kokonoe

Banned
Gen 4 brought us great Pokemon like Monferno, Ambipom, Shinx, Gible and Leafeon. Especially Monferno, best looking monkey Pokemon around. Where did they go wrong with Infernape? He's as bad as Empoleon (Talk about another line where it went south as far as the final evolution was concerned)

I agree about Infernape as the last form is just really strange looking compared to the first two. I can't say I dislike it, but it's on a low list of my likes.

Infernape is the saving grace of his own line, in design at least.
The whole Chimchar line bums me out anyway, we already have monkeys, we already have fighting apes (my favourite pokemon no less), we already have a fire fighting starter.
The kind of gladiator style look of Infernape is the only thing that stops me sending that line to the trash heap, Monferno looks stupid enough to undo that good.

Actually it's kind of funny how the next Fire Fighting starter would end up as a Pig, a fighting ape and a fighting pig.....yeah Primeape was already both back in Gen 1 minus the fire (though it can overheat) and he never turns up in any other regional dexes outside Gen 1 and 2 either, basically what the hell are you doing Game Freak?! it's like they know that I love me some Primeape and Blaziken and started sneakily replacing them with these damn wannabes.
Emboar gets cut some slack for at least being a more slower looking and bulky fighter.

edit: upon closer inspection Monferno doesn't have a red nose, huh, that sprite tricked me, I though he was like a clown or something but it's more like one of those baboon style face patterns, okay that's not so bad but now it's like a poor mans chimpy charmeleon, flaming tail again? come on!

PK Gaming

Infernape is actually really cool. It's a fire / fighting-type done right. It's like the Pokemon incarnation of Goku, it's just cool. Nothing else needs to be said about it.

infernape.png

#ComeAtMeBlazikenfans

I really liked Leafeon, what a cutie. Also really fun to use, and badass in some cases (Swords Dance + Leaf Blade? Hell yes)

2h7ew0l.png

GARchomp

tumblr_lqhz8gIyRw1ql8osso2_250.png

Infernape is actually really cool. It's a fire / fighting-type done right. It's like the Pokemon incarnation of Goku, it's just cool. Nothing else needs to be said about it.

infernape.png

#ComeAtMeBlazikenfans

I really liked Leafeon, what a cutie. Also really fun to use, and badass in some cases (Swords Dance + Leaf Blade? Hell yes)

2h7ew0l.png

GARchomp

So much goodness in this post, though I've always thought that we should have changed Infernape in the first place.

GimMick

infernape.png

#ComeAtMeBlazikenfans

2h7ew0l.png

GARchomp

I like you.
And those arts are fantastic :)

Gen IV introduced the much needed Phys/Spec split, so it's good for that alone. Also, I really like most of the new evolutions it introduced.

Zeroth

I see the list wars have started again.

Why does Wioana have Atarlia at Level 33 when it evolves at Level 35?

Her Atarlia killed my entire team, then I had to send out my Castform which I forgot to deposit in the box.

I noticed Castform had an Ice move.

I got a Critical Hit.

O_O

CASTFORM EARNED ME A BADGE.

On my first ever Sapphire run (I already said this before!), I used a Sableye against Tate & Liza. They crushed all my team, and Sableye was the only one left. Thankfully Solrock was out of Eartquakes, so all they had was Calm Mind and Psychic. With Nightshade I managed to win, even if my Sableye was just lv 15 at the time.

I always wanted a Grass Eeveelution as a kid, so Leafeon is very welcome. Meanwhile Glaceon always seemed a bit of an odd choice- where's the Ground Eeeveelution?

Zeroth

The problem with Leafeon is that it doesn't require the leaf stone. Kinda funny, makes you realize how precious GF considers the item.

At least those things are relatively easy to find in Platinum...don't mind the whole level them up around that special rock so they can evolve, just use a Rare Candy...and magic!

And Leafeon>Glaceon

The problem with Leafeon is that it doesn't require the leaf stone. Kinda funny, makes you realize how precious GF considers the item.

They never use old stones to make new evolutions to old Pokemon. It's like they're trying to make an excuse as to why they couldn't evolve before.

I always wanted a Grass Eeveelution as a kid, so Leafeon is very welcome. Meanwhile Glaceon always seemed a bit of an odd choice- where's the Ground Eeeveelution?

All the Eeveelutions are types that, prior to the physical/special split, counted as Special. Ground was a physical type. Logically speaking, all that's needed to complete the set is a Dragon-type Eeveelution.

Of course, this all went out the window in Gen IV, and now they can do whatever they damn well please.

All the Eeveelutions are types that, prior to the physical/special split, counted as Special. Ground was a physical type. Logically speaking, all that's needed to complete the set is a Dragon-type Eeveelution.

Of course, this all went out the window in Gen IV, and now they can do whatever they damn well please.

Ah right... well, I always figured they were going for wide type coverage/opposing types with the choices, if you get me. Ice always seemed odd because of that, given Vaporeon's existence (hell, Vaporeon even gets Aurora Beam as a level-up move normally).

Ah right... well, I always figured they were going for wide type coverage/opposing types with the choices, if you get me. Ice always seemed odd because of that, given Vaporeon's existence (hell, Vaporeon even gets Aurora Beam as a level-up move normally).

I rather suspect that they won't give a shit about their rule any more, and will just give Eevee more.

I suspect we'll see at least one new Eeveelution next gen, as signs are pointing to someone catching it in the anime. Much like Eevee and Aipom in Battle Frontier, captures like this often hint towards future evolutions that want hyping.

Dragon Eevee would be stupid.

You will bow down to your Draceon overload.

Dragon Eevee would be stupid, agreed. Dragon type is still the "ultimate type", as it were, so it'd kinda ruin the "balance" of the Eeveelutions. I mean, not that all Eevees are equal (lol Flareon), but you should get my point.

Dragon Eevee would be stupid, agreed. Dragon type is still the "ultimate type", as it were, so it'd kinda ruin the "balance" of the Eeveelutions. I mean, not that all Eevees are equal (lol Flareon), but you should get my point.

I think we'll probably end up with one, just to complete the set, but it'll be gimped in some way to prevent it from overshadowing the others.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, retrieved from the doodlings at the back of my childhood exercise book, I give you Little Dwebble's list of Eeveelution names!

Rock: Rockeon (lol)
Ground: Terreon
Ghost: Ghouleon
Steel: Steeleon
Poison: Veneon
Fighting: Scrapeon
Dragon: Draceon
Bug: Buzzeon
Flying: Drafteon
Normal: Eeveon

And childhood me thought a Grass-type would be Grasseon, and an Ice-type Freezeon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gen IV introduced the much needed Phys/Spec split, so it's good for that alone. Also, I really like most of the new evolutions it introduced.

Yup.

Also best region, and the perfection of the formula from Gens 1-3 (before 5 changed things up.)

I appreciate IV for its innovations (the aformentioned Phys/Spec split changed the series in a great way), but the games themselves just aren't enjoyable enough to be near the top of my list.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but Generation V is my favourite Generation because, in my eyes, it perfected almost every factor that makes Pokémon enjoyable.

Offtopic and old, but I just noticed that Persona 4 is only 91 on IGN's Top 100 RPGs. What. The. Frack.

Stage On

Platinum was awesome.

I never finished Pearl but yet I put over 100 hours into Platinum.

For one thing they speed everything up so it's much faster plus It's got a crap ton of legendarily to catch. Distortion World is one of the coolest places in Pokemon ever.

Top Bottom