• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Unicorn

Well, last night I got a Cleffa that was Brave and with Magic Guard, but didn't notice until I leveled her to 16 that she didn't have Wish. Togetic was in the daycare so long it was level 44 and had learned moves over Wish.

So... this morning I had to raise Cleffa's happiness until it evolved, which was 26, then heart scale'd Wish back on Togetic, then Everstone'd the new Clefairy to keep Brave.

another 20 eggs later and I finally get another Brave (2nd in this breed cycle) that had Magic Guard.

I think I'm sick of seeing Cleffa, which used to be my favorite baby with Mime Jr., and I don't even want Wish anymore.

Now I'm thinking of training two different Clefables, one as an attacker and one as an annoying wall.

Macka

644436_214104882066105_1323103467_n.jpg

backlot

Well, last night I got a Cleffa that was Brave and with Magic Guard, but didn't notice until I leveled her to 16 that she didn't have Wish. Togetic was in the daycare so long it was level 44 and had learned moves over Wish.

So... this morning I had to raise Cleffa's happiness until it evolved, which was 26, then heart scale'd Wish back on Togetic, then Everstone'd the new Clefairy to keep Brave.

another 20 eggs later and I finally get another Brave (2nd in this breed cycle) that had Magic Guard.

I think I'm sick of seeing Cleffa, which used to be my favorite baby with Mime Jr., and I don't even want Wish anymore.

Now I'm thinking of training two different Clefables, one as an attacker and one as an annoying wall.

I'm pretty sure Pokemon don't learn new moves from daycare until you take them out. As long as Togetic was in the daycare it would have passed Wish on to all eggs unless you took it out and put it back in at some point.

Also what game are you breeding on? I know in BW2 there's a way to pass on abilities easier.

Unicorn

I'm pretty sure Pokemon don't learn new moves from daycare until you take them out. As long as Togetic was in the daycare it would have passed Wish on to all eggs unless you took it out and put it back in at some point.

Also what game are you breeding on? I know in BW2 there's a way to pass on abilities easier.

SoulSilver.

Moves definitely get replaced in the Daycare (Gen 4). Yeah, I had plenty of eggs that had Wish, but by the time I got Brave about 7 hours later, the move had been washed over.

Edit:

Do you mean, that the moment I DO pull him out, that's when move erasure happens, even 30+ levels later?

Korosenai

There's a reasonably good chance that we won't.

I'd be unsurprised if we didn't get any Pokemon/X and Y info until May from Coro Coro. That'd match up better with the info releases for previous gens.

Day Ruined.

But really it wouldn't bother me much. I'm actually thinking about going dark on this Pokemon so I can experience everything fresh (it would be my first time going dark since Pokemon Blue and Red).

There's a reasonably good chance that we won't.

I'd be unsurprised if we didn't get any Pokemon/X and Y info until May from Coro Coro. That'd match up better with the info releases for previous gens.

I thought they were going to at least reveal Sylveon's type to everyone. It's not much but it's something.

JoeM86

All that we know that is coming is more Sylveon data. No guarantee of type. For all we know, it'll just be its role in the short.

More Pokémon Rumble U details are very likely, presumably a release date (likely next month in Japan).

It's possible that the X & Y stuff we get will be related to the special movie event Pokémon and unlocks they have within the game

zroid

Banned
I tried to get Meloetta today at EB; after some back-and-forth, was told they hadn't even received the distribution cart yet.

Ultra-lame-o.

If true, that is actually worthy of the "videogame facts that blow your mind" thread.

Andrefpvs

Proposition: There should be an option to "decapitalize" unnicknamed Pokémon names when transferring them to Gen VI (if you can actually transfer them, that is).

For example, if the game/transferring app/whatever detects the Pokémon you're transferring is from a gen 3/4 western game and is not nicknamed, it should give you the option to update its name to the new uncapitalized standard (for example: VENUSAUR -> Venusaur).

I just really dislike the inconsistency between generations ._.

Yay or nay?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The pokémon you put in the daycare will learn new moves as they level.

However any eggs they have will only include the moves the passing parent had when they were first put in until you take said parent out.

UK Pokeman fans, Manchester Tournament #5 is coming up next month. The UK Pokemon community always does an amazing job with this. Normally they're at HMV gamerbase but this time it'll be in the Kyoto Lounge. I'd recommend checking it out! Grab yer train tickets soon if you're not in Manchester!

https://www.facebook.com/events/306317596161132/

Argh, April, that's when my final university assignments are due in, it'll be non-stop work so I'll have to miss this one... I went to the last one at gamerbase, it was awesome. I came in top 16, was wiped out by the dude who ended up getting first prize.

Chocobro

Hey guys, I would like some of your opinions on my matter :)

Backstory: I bought Pokemon Black near launch and only played until earning the first badge (Never got around to playing it again because college sucks up all of my time). A few weeks ago I got Black 2 for $15 from BestBuy. I should have time to play during the summer.

Question: With Pokemon X/Y coming out later this year, how should I go about playing Pokemon Black and Black 2? Just play through B1 and B2 for the story, get the unique Pokemon's, and wait for X/Y and breed Pokemon's there? Or should I breed on B2 if I have time before X/Y launch?

And I have another question (as dumb as it may be), do you all transfer your Pokemon's to the next new Pokemon game?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
B1 and B2 are totally worth playing.

I transfer over almost all of my pokemon between generations. Right now my B2 copy has 648 pokemon in it (gotta get meloetta) ready for X/Y transfarring.

Each gen makes breeding a little more easier and less time consuming, so maybe this will also be the case with XY but we can't know for sure. Are you breeding for battling or for completing the dex? I transfer my best pokemon after the storyline, then maybe a bunch of others if it's easier to transfer than catch again to complete the dex.

Unicorn

How rampant is RNG abuse compared to straight up hacking pokemon?

I've skimmed articles over the years about RNG and it just seems so absolutely shady that you may as well just pokesav.

I would love to go to local tournaments (LOL if they even existed) but for fear of RNG/Hacking I don't. the fact that my pokemon's IV's are the only mystery is really all that makes them "unique." Which I believe is the whole point of them "inherent values" and all that.

Though, they are more negligible than EV's and natures, which I can cope with, albeit with a mountain of eggs.

Also, I was doing some wifi battle factory earlier today, since that's the only battling I can do, but it is limited to 3 pokemon. If that wasn't disappointing enough, I have to fight people that use legendaries or semi-legendaries.

Every team had a fire and electric pokemon, and then would interchange with legendaries or other gambit pokemon. It's also bullshit my pokemon didn't scale UP to 50, but it was funny watching my level 36 Kecleon tearing up some level 50 guys... well as much as he can. I was able to beat a handful of teams, but my TR team isn't meant to be halved.
LLShC.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's pretty easy to level up to 100 in gen v.

Not as easy as it just working in online battles in gen iv. It's such a common request that I'm pretty sure it'll come back for Gen VI.

Chocobro

Each gen makes breeding a little more easier and less time consuming, so maybe this will also be the case with XY but we can't know for sure. Are you breeding for battling or for completing the dex? I transfer my best pokemon after the storyline, then maybe a bunch of others if it's easier to transfer than catch again to complete the dex.

The latter and probably the Battle Subway. I used to battle competitively with my friends but that was in high school, maybe that'll change in the coming months.

Follow up question regarding breeding, on average how long does it take to get (legitimately) a Pokemon you're completely satisfied with? Because I'm OCD about getting the highest possible stats on anything and breeding will probably kill me lol. Back in HS, I had to use pokesav to get Pokemon's with 25+ IVs so I can battle my friends because I had very little leisure time to breed.

Unicorn

The latter and probably the Battle Subway. I used to battle competitively with my friends but that was in high school, maybe that'll change in the coming months.

Follow up question regarding breeding, on average how long does it take to get (legitimately) a Pokemon you're completely satisfied with? Because I'm OCD about getting the highest possible stats on anything and breeding will probably kill me lol. Back in HS, I had to use pokesav to get Pokemon's with 25+ IVs so I can battle my friends because I had very little leisure time to breed.

heh.... I've got some bad news for you.

I have 230+ hours in SoulSilver currently, with 190ish being there because of eggs.

Unicorn

just 25 plus with the mechanics introduced in gen iv and v? An hour tops. Less time with good max stat dittos.

Fuck! Yeah, I need a set of nature dittos as well as known 31 IV dittos. That would help substantially, I think.

I just need to make the switch to White. I love my pokewalker and following favorites too much though.

Chocobro

just 25 plus with the mechanics introduced in gen iv and v? An hour tops. Less time with good max stat dittos.

Hmm that doesn't sound too bad, much faster than I expected (took 3+ hrs to get a good Chimchar without Ditto iirc in Plat.). I'll just need a way to get 25-31 IV Dittos for when I do decide to breed. What IVs do you guys usually aim for anyway? Or anything under 31 in the main stats is unacceptable :p?

Looking at UltimateIke's Arcanine, my jaw is on the ground.

Hmm that doesn't sound too bad, much faster than I expected (took 3+ hrs to get a good Chimchar without Ditto iirc in Plat.). I'll just need a way to get 25-31 IV Dittos for when I do decide to breed. What IVs do you guys usually aim for anyway? Or anything under 31 in the main stats is unacceptable :p?

Looking at UltimateIke's Arcanine, my jaw is on the ground.

That Arcanine was actually especially lucky; I got it after only hatching a dozen or so eggs. But I've been breeding them for so long previously that both parent Arcanine already had 31 IVs in HP, Attack, and Speed. It was just a matter of using a Power Anklet to force the dad's Speed to pass down, using an Everstone to pass down the mom's Adamant nature, and hatching eggs until I got the 31's on HP and Attack to pass down.

The high Defenses were special because I don't usually try for those. I think my new Luxray, for example, only has Defense/Sp.Defense IVs of 16/12.

Getting the EV items is important because it lets you keep breeding your best stats without just hoping to get lucky. Once you have two potential parents with the three stats you need high enough, all it takes is hatching eggs until those particular three are the ones to get passed down.

ffdgh

Adamant or jolly with 31 ivs in Atk/speed/hp

Timid or modest with 31 in Sp.atk/speed/hp

Unoriginal but yeah that's what I like to breed usually or outsanting potential pokemon :p

Unicorn

That Arcanine was actually especially lucky; I got it after only hatching a dozen or so eggs. But I've been breeding them for so long previously that both parent Arcanine already had 31 IVs in HP, Attack, and Speed. It was just a matter of using a Power Anklet to force the dad's Speed to pass down, using an Everstone to pass down the mom's Adamant nature, and hatching eggs until I got the 31's on HP and Attack to pass down.

The high Defenses were special because I don't usually try for those. I think my new Luxray, for example, only has Defense/Sp.Defense IVs of 16/12.

Getting the EV items is important because it lets you keep breeding your best stats without just hoping to get lucky. Once you have two potential parents with the three stats you need high enough, all it takes is hatching eggs until those particular three are the ones to get passed down.

*drooooooool*

Azure J

Somewhere near a year later, I've finally (almost) complete my goal of making a team with no redundant typing comprised of 5th gen Pokemon that I enjoyed from design and usefulness categories:

Eeleektross (Modest; 252 Sp. Atk/252 HP)

Discharge
Acid Spray
Grass Knot
Flamethrower

Hydreigon (Modest; 252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed

Dark Pulse
Focus Blast
Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower

Emboar
sorry #TeamSnivy
(Adamant; 252 ATK/252 HP)

Flare Blitz
Earthquake
Wild Charge
Hammer Arm

Jellicent (Cursed Body; Modest; 252 Sp. Atk/252 HP)

Surf
Taunt
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball

Leavanny (Adamant; 252 ATK/252 Speed)

Agility
X-Scissors
Leaf Blade
Baton Pass

And now:

Musharna (Modest; 252 ATK/252 HP)

Psychic
Calm Mind
Signal Beam
Shadow Ball/Baton Pass (if I feel extra motivated to do some breeding chains)

What say you PokeGAF?

Just finished EV training a new Arcanine!

And I stopped using Pokérus because it doesn't like that all I have is the default strain. So now instead the issue is I trained without it. It doesn't matter what I do, they complain.

Arcanine <3

This is the hardest part about playing these games. I invest so much into one "main" team then all of a sudden, 100 other favorites start popping up demanding that they get put into a team. I have a similar Arcanine (IVs notwithstanding, I'll never mess with them, it's too intense for me) but with Crunch replacing Roar. Now, I'm trying so hard to not tamper with the 'mons too much and spend another 300 hours getting one other team right. This is with just a casual level of playing too, I've never gone full hog with online Pokemon battling.

entremet

It is pretty safe to say that Hoenn remakes will use the X/Y 3d engine? I'm wondering if I should wait or just get a copy of Emerald on eBay/Amazon.

I'm almost done with Soul Silver, then Platinum, then either wait for X/Y or play Emerald.

Firestorm

It is pretty safe to say that Hoenn remakes will use the X/Y 3d engine? I'm wondering if I should wait or just get a copy of Emerald on eBay/Amazon.

I'm almost done with Soul Silver, then Platinum, then either wait for X/Y or play Emerald.
Yeah. No reason not to re-use the assets they already create.

DaBoss

Get & play Emerald for the GBA and then you will be able to adore the remakes a lot more. :p

Firestorm

How rampant is RNG abuse compared to straight up hacking pokemon?

I've skimmed articles over the years about RNG and it just seems so absolutely shady that you may as well just pokesav.

I would love to go to local tournaments (LOL if they even existed) but for fear of RNG/Hacking I don't. the fact that my pokemon's IV's are the only mystery is really all that makes them "unique." Which I believe is the whole point of them "inherent values" and all that.

Though, they are more negligible than EV's and natures, which I can cope with, albeit with a mountain of eggs.

Also, I was doing some wifi battle factory earlier today, since that's the only battling I can do, but it is limited to 3 pokemon. If that wasn't disappointing enough, I have to fight people that use legendaries or semi-legendaries.

Every team had a fire and electric pokemon, and then would interchange with legendaries or other gambit pokemon. It's also bullshit my pokemon didn't scale UP to 50, but it was funny watching my level 36 Kecleon tearing up some level 50 guys... well as much as he can. I was able to beat a handful of teams, but my TR team isn't meant to be halved.
LLShC.gif
Most of the top players RNG. PokeSav/Gen/whatever the kids are using these days is not allowed in competition. Manipulating the RNG is perfectly legal.

However, most local tournaments will be run using 4 of 6 double battles so you wouldn't be able to use all 6 in a team anyway.

Top Bottom